PDA

View Full Version : targeting system

wollbert23
07-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Should it be more like the outline system in GRAW.

TheTrojanPig
07-11-2007, 02:13 AM
i liked it in the first demo at xo6 or w/e it is when there was no freakin targeting thingie around the person i liked it where you went up and killed the person and didnt flash all red or any out line

wollbert23
07-11-2007, 02:24 AM
I second that notion.

Lhorkan
07-11-2007, 02:58 AM
The less targettting glow, the better. And most certainly not that red glow if you kill someone. I'm not a big fan of the extra *SHING* sound when Alta´r killed the second guard from behind, but that's for another thread. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

wollbert23
07-11-2007, 03:00 AM
Ahhh yes... the RED

Karl_93
07-11-2007, 03:17 AM
do the ubi people who read these pass on ideas? Cuz yes they seriously need to tone down the flashy stuff, maybe just an outline glow or a circle underneath like in madden and in most soccer games.

wollbert23
07-11-2007, 03:19 AM
i hope they do, for their companies health. wouldnt like a circle to much, but a highlight around their silhouette.

Lhorkan
07-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Nah, circle underneath would be even worse.

OhItsArcheys
07-11-2007, 07:05 AM
definetly not a circle under i think that would be the worse they could put in this game ... well personly im kinda ok with the targeting but those numbers around it are kinda "not in place" well the red shine is okay i think

ScytheOfGrim
07-11-2007, 07:10 AM
to tell you the truth, if you're thinking about the red shine and how the targeting thingie looks then yes, its irritaing, but once you get into the game, trust me, you wont realize it.

kinda like the fairy in zelda TP.

i honestly barely noticed it cuz i was staring at what was going on in the demo, not the effects. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

T_Spoon_UK
07-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Maybe if it was toned down just a bit.

it was a bit to in your face. but if they just tone down the transparency or something i think it would look good.

or, like you said, a GRAW outline.

Karl_93
07-11-2007, 07:49 AM
can someone explain to me exactly what the different flashes mean? And what do you guys think the matrix means?
I think the numbers floating around have something to do with the futureistic element

RetiredHatch
07-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Of course it has something to do with the futuristic element we couldn't tell you what but it does.

As far as the glowy around the person that bothered me also i felt it took me out of the crusade experience and i just dont want anything to do with it but i do have a feeling that maybe after you get further into the game it might maybe get toned down maybe that has something to do with the genetic memory guys believability with the scenario that's going on... cause if you watch the trailer again there isnt a single bar at all tellin you so maybe once "the story gets move convincing" (as in advance through the game) the shine around people will start to fade (note i dont mean being politically acceptable or not getting hit that is what the blurry effects is when you notice he gets hit or bumped the screen blurs out a little)

if you notice it was on everyone (that was important) so i dont techincally think it's a targetting system i just think it marks people of interest

EDIT: yea... i was reading the whole E3 thread is here i felt bad for criticizing the game already but this thread was on top so i read it first... and i was reading the E3 thread like i was saying and i wanted to say that this was absolultely amazing looking in that thread cause that's what it's for but i got lazy so here i am to fix my post and stuff soooooo i can say that i absolutely loved how this game looked and i can't wait to climb up walls and shove citizens around and stuff and the demo looked amazing HUGE step from X06 and good job ubisoft (except for the flashy light stuff booooo to that) but seriously kudos to ubisoft

Karl_93
07-11-2007, 08:04 AM
I think it marks people you can interact with. Not just pushing but like talking to them. Maybe you get tips or a side quest from them. Then all of your enimies also flash.

wollbert23
07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I dont like the red when he stabs that one guy cause i cant see the blood or where hes doing the stabbing, dont like how much he glows, there should just be an outline around his silohouette.. yea im getting tired of typing that but i want the devs to see it. and there is too many numbers should be like one above his head or somethin using a line to point it out. Subtel flashes of the screen wont bother me (every now and then).

rippers1991
07-11-2007, 02:29 PM
the thing is you dont know if there planning on tonning it down or w/e, they said there still might be a few things that need changing and stuff like that...

-rippers

Karl_93
07-11-2007, 02:30 PM
so devs..... having an outline around his silhouette wouldn't be a bad idea eh? (winkwink nudgenudge) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

TheTrojanPig
07-11-2007, 03:33 PM
how about no outline at all like the first ever hands on demo they did and also to clarify for people if this is the demo they will release i dont think so, it was only 6 minutes. i think they might make it a little more involved but im not sure but back to the targetting it is distracting because you cant see the peoples faces to see what they look like and it draws your attention away from what your trying to do because you saw a glow so my vote is not outline or anything except in maybe like the tutorial either that or tone that $|-|IT down

SmokehtheFirst
07-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Anyone ever think maybe you can turn it off/on in the options menu?

GPNM
07-11-2007, 04:05 PM
It doesn't seem all that horrible to me.
Though, the red glow around the guy after you killed him was too much.

Personally, I would prefer no indicator of who you're targeting, except that you face that direction. It works when you try it.

TheTrojanPig
07-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by SmokehtheFirst:
Anyone ever think maybe you can turn it off/on in the options menu?

yea i wouldnt mind being able to turn it off. ubi would be doing a little extra then because they make everyone happy

wollbert23
07-11-2007, 06:41 PM
none at all would be alright, but just make i more subtle so that you can actually see what is going on when your killing someone. (No Red)

tschlosser
07-11-2007, 06:48 PM
How bout theres only a targetings thingy when ur using a ranged weapon?

spazzoo1025
07-11-2007, 06:59 PM
maybe they have the red glow in place if the wanna keep it T, instead of M. personally, id love to see the blood spurt out, Im fine with it being M

tschlosser
07-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah, but see.......i aint allowed to go to the store and purchase an M games, my parents dont care, but the people there wont let me, lol

TheTrojanPig
07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
you can get an m game almost anywhere just go somewhere else and get and if ur parents dont care tell em to buy it

tschlosser
07-11-2007, 07:07 PM
True...true.....or right now u can just pre-order it when its not yet ratedhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

moqqy
07-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by spazzoo1025:
maybe they have the red glow in place if the wanna keep it T, instead of M. personally, id love to see the blood spurt out, Im fine with it being M

they show blood already so certainly not the red glow in place of blood

tschlosser
07-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Ugh a red glow?

That would just ruin everything!! If your gonna kill someone, u have to show blood, if there is blood, it has to be blood, not a red glow!

moqqy
07-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by tschlosser:
Ugh a red glow?

That would just ruin everything!! If your gonna kill someone, u have to show blood, if there is blood, it has to be blood, not a red glow!

the red glow DOES NOT replace the blood!!!!
we have already seen blood instead of red glow in battles! so it is not that. its something else

tschlosser
07-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Nooo i know. I was just making a statement. That if in any game that blood would be replaced by a red glow, it would just ruin the whole satisfaction of killin someone, or something!

ARON2431
07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I agree with RetiredHatch about the glowing effect and how it makes you feel like you are really not in that time period. But anyway the game looks like it will not be a disappointment, but the red glow meaning death and the white glowing with genetic code flying around should be toned down or done away with. Or toggleable(if thats a word).

wollbert23
07-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Yes

sweetlou280
07-12-2007, 12:51 AM
I really don't like the glowing outline thingy around a target person. I mean...the first demo was awsome it was so...seemless. You knew who you were looking at, you knew when you hit someone. The game has become idiot prof, with a little outline, and a flashing red enemy when you hit someone. JADE PLEASE CHANGE IT

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Yes the flashy glowy neon targetting system is gay as balls, right along with the shoddy animations (though they have improved, marginally) and what seems like a sub par control scheme (anyone else thing the freerunning looks like its on auto pilot?)

Whatever, that isn't what the threads about, the thread is about the awful targetting system, and it is just that, awful.

Improve Ubi, I dare you.

SmokehtheFirst
07-12-2007, 12:58 AM
You guys are blowing this out of proportion. I think it's rather cool, not to mention something like this is usually a thing they'd put on the options menu. Remember, the Third Crusade experience ISN'T REAL, it's like a Matrix simulation of it.

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 01:07 AM
A matrix simulation? Stop ruining my once historically accurate game. We don't know whether its genetic memory or some other stupid sci fi ****, so you can't base stupid features on your personal opinion of exactly how the story is going to suck.

Seed1989
07-12-2007, 01:29 AM
yeah man... these glows arn't working, ubisoft added the effect of the blood squirting out and the effect of stabbing them, and if you watch the demo video of it, you'll notice you can't see the cool effects because of the glow

wollbert23
07-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Devs pull out those laptops and get to work.

Agent_of_Persia
07-12-2007, 03:10 AM
erm....;i've watched the X06 demo over and over again and all i can see is that after the assassination, the guards have some sort of red check pattern on their armor, and I think that has to do with the vividity of the memory, s in, the uniforms turn red only after the confidence meter fills up, showing that that is the part that the dude in the hospital remembers the most

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 05:18 AM
agent, we're talking about the recent e3 demo.

And whether or not it has anything to do with the stupid futuristic confidence ****, its poorly designed and looks downright stupid.

ScytheOfGrim
07-12-2007, 05:30 AM
after watching the video multiple times, it could do with a nice toning down. the idea is good and original, only prob is that there is toooooooooo much writing flying around the targeted dude. start working ubi, 'specially if you wanna make the deadline...

assassinspen
07-12-2007, 06:25 AM
yes ubisoft please change it. it takes away the feeling that you are in te time period of the crusaders (if thats right). I hope it will be as in the xo6 demo where you dont see an line or something.

Lhorkan
07-12-2007, 06:44 AM
it takes away the feeling that you are in te time period of the crusaders (if thats right).

That's the point. You are NOT in the time period, you are some dude that's connected to futuristic Matrix-esque machinery that lets you tap in your genetic memory, and uncover a huge conspiracy by going in the steps of Alta´r, one of your ancestors.

GPNM
07-12-2007, 06:52 AM
I assume there's going to be some kind of option to turn it on or off since we didn't see this in the previous gameplay videos.

Tlepolemus7
07-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Lhorkan:

That's the point. You are NOT in the time period, you are some dude that's connected to futuristic Matrix-esque machinery that lets you tap in your genetic memory, and uncover a huge conspiracy by going in the steps of Alta´r, one of your ancestors.

thanks for ruining the story for everyone.

Oh wait, you didn't ruin the story for everyone, because you've no idea what the story actually is.

You have generally agreed upon ideas, but still no idea as to what the actual story is, so don't use it to backup a poorly designed feature.

Oh yeah, and

****ty sci-fi story < Gameplay/Game not looking like ****

wollbert23
07-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Why does the crossbow poll have more votes than this targeting one. Sure most are going to say no for the crossbow one but...whats going on.

DBlain2009
07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
they are probly going to be an option to turn it on or off. so for people that want it have it and others that dont can turn it off

Karl_93
07-12-2007, 11:43 AM
You cant turn it off, period. Its included in the game for a reason, the futuristic element. It would be nice if they toned it down, but taking it away would probably change the game.

wollbert23
07-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Keep it at the top.

wollbert23
07-12-2007, 10:26 PM

gotjapanka
07-12-2007, 11:09 PM
All these people who are saying it takes away from the futuristic element.

WE GET IT, people are not stupid. There are a 100 other ways to convey the storyline and the idea that there is some time-twist to the game OTHER than distracting the gamer from the immersion of the game by constantly flashing spider-sensy electro flashes and having tiny Robo-cop indications on each character we have to kill.

This may sound stupid for some, but this honestly will deter me from buying the game and move it over to my rental list. It just annoys me so much every time the screen flashes blue or I see a trail of tiny words and a force field looking thing trailing after each bad guy.

it's 2007, I think we can do without an obvious, in your face targeting system.

TheTrojanPig
07-12-2007, 11:57 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Ti.llama
07-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by gotjapanka:
All these people who are saying it takes away from the futuristic element.

WE GET IT, people are not stupid. There are a 100 other ways to convey the storyline and the idea that there is some time-twist to the game OTHER than distracting the gamer from the immersion of the game by constantly flashing spider-sensy electro flashes and having tiny Robo-cop indications on each character we have to kill.

This may sound stupid for some, but this honestly will deter me from buying the game and move it over to my rental list. It just annoys me so much every time the screen flashes blue or I see a trail of tiny words and a force field looking thing trailing after each bad guy.

it's 2007, I think we can do without an obvious, in your face targeting system.

I agree completely. Not only does the targeting system take you away from the immersive aspect of the game, the system itself is ugly and stands out like a sore thumb.

All the hard work they did on shading and lighting is totally lost every time that target hits the screen- your eyes can't avoid it even when it's not being used in a fight. It totally robbed me of looking around and appreciating all the great work done to create an environment that takes place in the 1100's AD.

If the only way to convey to the player that there is more than what meets the eye going on with Altair is to have every NPC that he comes into contact with emit white light, lose all color, and flicker off and on like an old black and white TV set from the 70's than I wish they would make it known so that I can set my mind that this game is a rental and nothing really to get all excited about.

-llama

zgubilici
07-13-2007, 12:00 AM
wollbert23, bumping is not allowed in these forums - please don't do it again.

TheTrojanPig, I have already asked you to not spam anymore - if there is something constructive or relevant you wish to add in support or in criticism of a statement then do so, if not, please refrain from just posting a smiley in every topic.
Thanks.

TheTrojanPig
07-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by zgubilici:
wollbert23, bumping is not allowed in these forums - please don't do it again.

TheTrojanPig, I have already asked you to not spam anymore - if there is something constructive or relevant you wish to add in support or in criticism of a statement then do so, if not, please refrain from just posting a smiley in every topic.
Thanks.
sorry but i missed where you told me that can i have a link please

zgubilici
07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
Link (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/3671029175?r=8611073275#8611073275)

TheTrojanPig
07-13-2007, 12:47 AM
oops sorry then my bad

ch4os_1337
07-13-2007, 01:54 AM
I accidentally clicked "no", I meant to click yes PLEASE make it more like GRAW. please i think about 90% of people thought it was too much. and the little sparks where overkill.

Agent_of_Persia
07-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I finally got a look at the latest demoes, and I'm ok with the targeting system's electric white and the flashing text, cos i think its intentional, just like the way the screen would glitch sometimes during the trailer or the WSOD, its still overdone, though, so i voted no.
(White Screen Of Death)
I HATE the huge red flashes, though. They completely block out the screen.

Seed1989
07-13-2007, 09:27 PM
these glow systems suck!

Tlepolemus7
07-13-2007, 09:31 PM
You know, all this is what happens when you let star trek nerds into a game developement studio.

"Ok guys, we're making a historically acurate game about assassins of the third crusade"

"All right... so genetic memory, right!?"

"And neon outlines surrounding people!!!"

"Oh my god, lets make the screen flash in awkward sci-fi colours that ruin gameply for the player!!!"

"This is genius!! it'll sell like hotcakes!!"

chewie1890
07-13-2007, 09:38 PM
The funny thing is, it will.

Whiteboy353
07-14-2007, 12:52 AM
My gripe with the targeting system emmittinig a static aura around enemies is that it completly ruins the atmosphere of the game. I watched a developer interview or something a while back and I think Jade said that they attempted to make the environment and atmosphere as historically accurate as possible,but doesnt a sci-fi twist or this static auro defeat the purpose of this?
still i think the game looks awesome(exept for the targeting system)

anselm98
07-14-2007, 12:12 PM
the targetting is annoying and all, but they have said you get to choose when you're targetting people. (just holding a button to target or something) just do it when you need to..

the_assassin_07
07-14-2007, 01:42 PM
i like the targeting system it's got a nice feel to it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-You can't escape the Assassin-

wollbert23
07-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Whiteboy353:
My gripe with the targeting system emmittinig a static aura around enemies is that it completly ruins the atmosphere of the game. I watched a developer interview or something a while back and I think Jade said that they attempted to make the environment and atmosphere as historically accurate as possible,but doesnt a sci-fi twist or this static auro defeat the purpose of this?
still i think the game looks awesome(exept for the targeting system)

Yes.

Seed1989
07-16-2007, 11:54 PM
the feel of it is fine, but how it looks is not right... you can't even see the character ur locked onto except for the white glow around him.

spenzur
07-17-2007, 02:52 AM
yeah that makes it stupid i hope they change it

andy276
07-17-2007, 03:18 AM
It's a bit weird now but I'm sure we'll all get used to it.

spenzur
07-17-2007, 03:30 AM
I hope so