PDA

View Full Version : BF109 E7/z Engine problem

relcox
06-28-2009, 05:54 AM
Offline JG27 campaign in North Africa.

Engine keeps going inoperable at anything above 95% throttle. Cannot duplicate this in QMB on Smolensk map where I just free flew the fighter at 110% for 5mins with no engine failures. Any ideas what the problem is?

TinyTim
06-28-2009, 05:59 AM
Did you fiddle with MW-50 at full throttle?

JtD
06-28-2009, 06:02 AM
It has GM1, which must not be used below 6km or so.

x6BL_Brando
06-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Cannot duplicate this in QMB on Smolensk map where I just free flew the fighter at 110%

Check whether your difficulty settings for QMB are different from the difficulty settings for your campaign.

B

BillSwagger
06-28-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm assuming your not overheating.

My experience with 109s is that sometimes you have to manually adjust prop pitch to help preserve the engine, especially when the boost is active.

To do this, you have to turn off auto prop pitch, and then manually adjust pitch.
You will need to have a good ear, so run the engine with auto prop on, (no boost) and listen to the tone of the engine. Then turn off auto prop and adjust the prop pitch with boost on, trying to match the tone you heard before. On a K-4 it gets as low as 20% depending on airspeed.

BillSwagger
06-28-2009, 07:21 AM
i just flew a QMB in the E7, and i blew the engine in less than a minute at sea level.

So JtDs advice might be more accurate.

North Africa is also a desert climate which tends to do different things to different engines.

If you can, fly a QMB with a desert map and see what happens.

Manu-6S
06-28-2009, 08:07 AM
GM1...

JG53_Valantine
06-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Are you leaving your radiator closed or even on auto? over the desert you overheat very quickly which murders the engine so for most of the time its best to run it completely open, then you can alter that setting when you get into combat
V

relcox
06-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Never switched on the GM1, also Temp never went above 50% of max before the engine went so it's not overheat I guess. Also (embarrassing to say this here!) I'm only an amateur simmer even after many years so complex engine management is not something I can do, so those settings are off.

Only trouble with QMB is I can't choose a desert map, limited to Russia and Pacific.

Trefle
06-28-2009, 10:59 AM
I know what is the problem because it happened to me a few times .The problem like JTD said is that GM1 will kill your engine below 6000-6500m but it happened to me in another occasion : after i used auto-pilot .

I used auto-pilot a few times to get to the objective zone ( i always do this in my Stuka and Dauntless campaigns as well cause it's boring after some time to fly slowly for ages but i still love so much dive-bombing that i keep flying this dcg campaigns ) , then i switch auto-pilot off and then i noticed my 109Z engine was dying despite the fact that i never put GM1 , i concluded that AI might have used the boost (without the disadvantage of it ) and when i took back the controls it assumed i still had the boost even though it was not visible on the screen . I concluded this because it Never happened to me when i didn't use that auto-pilot

DuckyFluff
06-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Thats more than likely the reason...it is the wrong use of the GM1 boost.

BTW there is no reason why you would ever switch off auto prop pitch in the 109s, it is WAY to easy to fry your engine in a blink.

There is nothing to be gained from it in the 109.

Trefle
06-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Well , I use manual prop pitch with the Emil for climbing when i really need it , cause i know how many rpm i should not cross (2400) , i don't know if there is any gain of doing this , but it feels like it climbs better than in automatic prop mode where it is often using lower rpm .

I also use manual prop pitch for landing approaches , i open the radiator , cut the throttle and put 100% prop pitch to decelerate quicker, then switch back to auto

Wildnoob
06-28-2009, 03:38 PM
hello!

folks, I search in the aircraft guied about this but don't find nothing.

it's OFF, but if someone can tell me if possible please, at wat altitudes I can engage the MW50 without damage my engine?

I don't have any idea... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

BillSwagger
06-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by DuckyFluff:

BTW there is no reason why you would ever switch off auto prop pitch in the 109s, it is WAY to easy to fry your engine in a blink.

There is nothing to be gained from it in the 109.

I disagree, although if you dont lower the prop pitch and keep it at 100 then you will over rev it very easily.
However, I can get more performance out of a 109 when i use manual prop control.
The only thing that made me try manual prop was the fact i kept frying the engine in a K-4 with auto on.
With manual prop, i can give the prop a steeper pitch than what auto prop would give it during boost performance. The end result is being able to dive with boost on and full throttle, which allows for better energy retention when you extend.
When i flip boost off, i kick back on the auto prop. Its actually kind of easy once you figure out where the pitch needs to be when the boost is on.

Trefle
06-28-2009, 04:41 PM
That's a good idea Bill , never thought about this , i will try it

Wildnoob , you can put MW50 at any altitude , just cut the throttle or set it below 50% , put MW50 then you can put max power .

It is the GM1 (i think only 109E7 has it with another plane , prolly Ta-152 but i'm not sure cause i never fly planes that barely fought ) that must not be put below 6500m if i remember correctly

WTE_Galway
06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Trefle:
That's a good idea Bill , never thought about this , i will try it

Wildnoob , you can put MW50 at any altitude , just cut the throttle or set it below 50% , put MW50 then you can put max power .

It is the GM1 (i think only 109E7 has it with another plane , prolly Ta-152 but i'm not sure cause i never fly planes that barely fought ) that must not be put below 6500m if i remember correctly

Yeah GM1 was actually a nitrous injection intended for very high altitude. It was trialed on a few planes early war but apparently their was insufficient high altitude ops to warrant the cost and weight so it was withdrawn from general service. AFAIK the TA152-H variant was the only post 1943 plane to use it.

BGs_Ricky
06-30-2009, 02:24 AM
From the IL-2 Sturmovik v1.2 Update readme: http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"4. Notes on the Messerschmitt Bf-109 E-7/Z Fighter

The Bf-109 E-7/Z was a version with the DB 601N engine equipped with a high-altitude nitrous oxide injection system (GM-1). The system was prohibited to use under 6500 meters because of imminent damage to the engine, but in case of emergency it could provide extra 80 km/h of speed for a short period of time above 5.0 km.
In this version (1.2) the GM-1 boost system is activated when you engage WEP mode on the engine (W key by default). Avoid engaging the system on altitudes below 6500 m.