PDA

View Full Version : attn Bearcat: George Lucas has "Red Tails" movie in the works

SKIDRO_79FS
03-01-2005, 04:37 PM
From an article in Vanity Fair, George Lucas is quoted as saying:

Working in the present to put the past behind him, Lucas is keeping his energy level up by looking toward the future. "I'm going to produce a film called 'Red Tails,' about black fighter pilots during World War II," he said. "I'm going to produce a couple TV shows, then I'll think about when I'll direct again."

The story:http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1497599/03012005/story.jhtml

Chuck_Older
03-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Cool!

(and thanks for keeping Happy Jack's memory alive) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

SKIDRO_79FS
03-01-2005, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Cool!(and thanks for keeping Happy Jack's memory alive) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jack was one of the greatest men I have ever known, it is my pleasure to do anything I can to keep his memory alive. I'd love one day to be posting that his life story is being made into a movie; he's never really gotten the publicity he deseved, IMHO.

sukebeboy
03-01-2005, 05:06 PM
It had better have Wedge and Porkins in it. (Jar-Jar can be a Luftwaffe pilot that goes down in flames during the opening credits.)

SkyChimp
03-01-2005, 05:09 PM
If GL is doing it, it may actually be pretty good. Special effect should be outstanding.

T_O_A_D
03-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Looking forward to that one http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Feathered_IV
03-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Hmmm. Hopefully it'll be better than Ep.II

"I hate the desert. Its hot and scratchy. But you're not hot and scratchy - you're soft and warm"

Bleh!

WOLFMondo
03-01-2005, 05:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyChimp:
If GL is doing it, it may actually be pretty good. Special effect should be outstanding. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd prefer his buddy Speilberg to do it...Lucas's last couple of films weren't exactly great:/

nickdanger3
03-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Be afraid. Lucas couldn't direct his way out of a wet paper bag. Cases in point:
Episode 1,
Episode 2,
Return of the Jedi.

And before you say ESB, he didn't direct it which is why it's the best of all the SW movies.

Lucas. WWII. Shudder...

Ang Lee. Zhang Yimou. Michael Mann. David O. Russell. Peter Jackson. Basically guys who understand look, feel, character, and ACTION!

Can you imagine if one of those guys got a hold of the Tuskeegee airmen's story? They would RIP - IT - UP !

darkhorizon11
03-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Mace Windu in a P-40 I can't wait.

LEXX_Luthor
03-01-2005, 05:51 PM
On the other hand, Lucas is a WW2 aviation fanatic.

All he needs is Tom Hanks to keep the movie credible. I'd like to see Hanks as one of the racist white generals or commanders or something "bad." I will NEVER forget the personal Shock I experienced when I watched the historical "good guy" Henry Fonda dressed in black and spitting tobacco as he gunned down an 8 year old boy in that Italian western Once Upon a Time in the West with Charles Bronson playing the harmonica all the time.

Basically, when well known Good Guy actors switch from Good to Bad characters, and do it well, the shock is overwhelming, and you remember it, always.

Feathered_IV
03-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Howard the Duck as the dreaded German ace flyer perhaps? Anyone remember Him?

3.JG51_BigBear
03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
All I'm going to say is that we're talking about the man who created Jar Jar Binks, who knows where this is going to end up. Its a real shame since the Red Tails deserve a more fitting cinematic tribute than that horrible made for TV movie with Lawrence Fishburn and Shooter Mcgavin from Happy Gilmore.

heywooood
03-01-2005, 06:17 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again

Wolfgang Petersen needs to do a Luftwaffe film...either an early war piece on the invincibility of the LW or a late war, situation is hopeless but all we can do is fly and fight to the end, type of deal...like Das Boot.

LeadSpitter_
03-01-2005, 06:22 PM
great news and hope he follows thru, it would be interesting if he follows the redtails careers from wwii to japan korea and vietnam.

Lucas is another one of the great directors that has a great appreciation of wwii like speilberg and hanks, definatly the best generation and made people learn alot. Our troops today in afghanistan and iraq deserve such appreciation as well like the wwii vets had when they came back.

I wish all three of them speilberg lucas and hanks would research and make a Band of brothers type of series of the airmen in wwii aviation training missions and combat showing not just one fighter group but a many fighter and bomber groups from all different nations, Having each nations native language in the episodes about them, and have different directors working with them on the german russian japanese episodes

featuring the battle of poland and france
an episode of battle of britian from the british pilots side and pilots training and ground life then 2nd episode show the german training

then go into the eastern front russia pilots episode and germanys airwar

then go into USN british royal navy and australia and then show then ijn side training teachings pilots life etc

an episode of the us fighter groups and british durring 43-44

then the last episode show the end of the war for all the pilots and fighter groups and what happened to many of them.

No well known so called "famous actors" band of brothers had the best cast and all of them were great actors especially the english ones playing american roles. actors that resemble the actual pilots and are seem to have real people personalities somthing that was great about BOB.

Something like that I think would be excellent especially done in different langauges with subtitles.

Fitting it into a 10 12 14 series would be tough, and since many of the ac are not flyable anymore cgi which looks so realistic today would be excellent for recreating airbattles. No Battle of britian vasoline shmear explosions.

FI.Snaphoo
03-01-2005, 08:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"I'm going to produce a film called 'Red Tails,' about black fighter pilots during World War II," he said. "I'm going to produce a couple TV shows, then I'll think about when I'll direct again." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Producing is not directing.... Be sure.

PBNA-Boosher
03-01-2005, 08:25 PM
The last thing we need is some **** love story to get in the way of some of the best P-51 pilots the world has ever known. I swear if he messes this up he's a dead man.

WTE_Dukayn
03-01-2005, 08:33 PM
What about a movie about someone other than the Yanks during the war eh. The Aussies fought too ya know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BaldieJr
03-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Holy feck. They have working movie cameras in Australia don't they?

Man, the whole ****ed world is going nuts.

WTE_Dukayn
03-01-2005, 08:41 PM
LOL Baldie. Matrix (the good one) was filmed mostly in Sydney mate.

VF-17_Yankee
03-01-2005, 08:46 PM
lol next thing u know u got the croc hunter in the back ground playin with a croc..haha

BaldieJr
03-01-2005, 08:53 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

civildog
03-01-2005, 09:24 PM
Oh Lord, say it ain't so! Sure it'll look pretty, but I'll have stepped in puddles deeper than this movie will be.

It probably will only have them flying Mustangs instead of the P-40's they scored most of their kills in. And that's the most amazing thing about those guys! They were given what others considered **** because no one thought they were good enough as black men to fight for the US, and yet they never lost a bomber to the Germans. They showed more class and ****** (not to mention skill) than anyone else in the air but all anyone will ever know from the movies is that they flew Mustangs.

Oh, and it'll have period music, but I'm sure the woman crooning to Glenn Miller will turn out to be a love interest for the male lead when she visits the be on a USO tour (as if a USO tour would ever come to an all-black unit in WW2).

We need someone like Wolfgang Peterson to direct it, and John Milius to write it. And it needs to be gritty, tough, brutal, and real. Smell the gunsmoke, vomit, piss, sweat, and hot oil. Private Ryan in the air. Dark Blue World on steroids (but minus the spurious love story, just keep the dogfights).

It's the one of the ballsiest stories
from WW2 and it needs to be dome RIGHT. I don't even think Spielberg (Empire of the Sun, oh the humanity!) could do it now.

I can't watch, it'll be horrible. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

pourshot
03-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Australia already makes alot of the American movies we may even get to do this lucas one he uses our services alot now anyway.

But its a lack of money thats stops us makeing more of our own, we are a small market and I am not to sure how interested the rest of the world is in what we did in WW2.

pourshot
03-01-2005, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF-17_Yankee:
lol next thing u know u got the croc hunter in the back ground playin with a croc..haha <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Croc Hunter is a fool but somehow he is huge in the states http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

civildog
03-01-2005, 09:43 PM
The 80's Aussie film industry was awesome! Breaker Morant, The Light Horse, ANZACS, Gallipoli...

There's no creativity or talent left today in Hollywood, just leftist freakshows and has-beens that are not smart enough to go away gracefully. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

civildog
03-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Oh, and don't forget "Razorback"...one of my all-time guilty pleasures of the Down-under school of film making. And no, I'm not kidding. Loved it.

Bearcat99
03-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I heard about that. Thanks for the heads up anyway though... I think it is great. Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Morgan Freeman are going to produce a movie about the 761st Tank Battallion (http://www.761st.com/) of Patton's 3rd Army, that BTW didnt even get a mention in the "blockbuster movie" about the general's WW2 exploits. That will be based on the book "Brothers in Arms (http://www.ebookmall.com/ebook/84846-ebook.htm)" by Kareem and Kent haruff. A great read. Those dudes were TOUGH.

A powerful wartime saga in the bestselling tradition of Flags of Our Fathers, BROTHERS IN ARMS recounts the extraordinary story of the 761st "Black Panthers," the first all-black armored unit to see combat in World War II.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar first learned about the battalion from family friend Leonard "Smitty" Smith, a veteran of the battalion. Working with acclaimed writer Anthony Walton, Abdul-Jabbar interviewed the surviving members of the battalion and their descendants to weave together a page-turning narrative based on their memories and stories, from basic training through the horrors on the battlefield to their postwar experiences in a racially divided America.
Trained essentially as a public relations gesture to maintain the support of the black community for the war, the battalion was never intended to see battle. In fact, General Patton originally opposed their deployment, claiming African Americans couldn't think quickly enough to operate tanks in combat conditions. But the Allies were so desperate for trained tank personnel in the summer of 1944, following heavy casualties in the fields of France, that the battalion was called up.
While most combat troops fought on the front for a week or two before being rotated back, the men of the 761st served for more than six months, fighting heroically under Patton's Third Army at the Battle of the Bulge and in the Allies' final drive across France and Germany. Despite a casualty rate that approached 50 percent and an extreme shortage of personnel and equipment, the 761st would ultimately help liberate some thirty towns and villages, as well as the Gunskirchen Lager concentration camp.
The racism that shadowed them during the war and the prejudice they faced upon their return home is an indelible part of their story. What shines through most of all, however, are the lasting bonds that united them as soldiers and brothers, the bravery they exhibited on the battlefield, and the quiet dignity and patriotism that defined their lives.

WTE_Dukayn wrote:
What about a movie about someone other than the Yanks during the war eh. The Aussies fought too ya know

Well DUHHHHH You got Mel Gibson,Russell Crowe,Chris Doyle,Bruce petty.... h@ll.... stop hatin and make your own danged movie.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Bearcat99
03-01-2005, 10:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CivilDog:
It probably will only have them flying Mustangs instead of the P-40's they scored most of their kills in. And that's the most amazing thing about those guys! They were given what others considered **** because no one thought they were good enough as black men to fight for the US, and yet they never lost a bomber to the Germans. They showed more class and ****** (not to mention skill) than anyone else in the air but all anyone will ever know from the movies is that they flew Mustangs.

Wrong..... 17.5 of the Airman's kills were in P-40s..... all of those were by the 99th before the 332nd FG was even formed.... keep in mind that The Tuskegee Airmen comprised The 332nd Fighter Group consisting of four squadrons... the 99th,100th,30st and 302nd.
4 of the 332nd kills were in P-47s..... and all the rest.... all 89 of them were in Redtailed P-51 Mustangs.... By that time they had a rep and although the racism was still rampant many many of thier fellow pilots knew the deal by the time the 332nd was formed. It was a lot of the politicians and brass that still had thier heads up thier butts. True.... they had ******.... in fact they still do and i have never seen such a dignified bunch of old guys in my life. They walk with an air of confidence and class that is rarely seen. As a side note.... keep in mind that it was not too long ago that African Americans were considered not bright enough to quarterback in the NFL, Coach in the NFL.... or the Majors for that matter.... and I coud go on but that isnt the purpose of this thread. What they went through should not be forgotten.... not only does it testify to the indefatigable hunman spiritbut it also shows us how far we have come as a nation..... we went from Marian Anderson not being able to sing at the White House... to Condi Rice as Secretary of State..... giant steps. More to be had indeed... but what a stride..... and with such grace, blood, and sweat.

Oh, and it'll have period music, but I'm sure the woman crooning to Glenn Miller will turn out to be a love interest for the male lead when she visits the be on a USO tour (as if a USO tour would ever come to an all-black unit in WW2).

Lena Horne, Dizzy Gillespie, Lionel Hampton... all visited troops.... sometimes paying thier own way.....

It's the one of the ballsiest stories
from WW2 and it needs to be dome RIGHT.

On this we agree...... it does need to be done right. I do think that there are enough competent directors around to pull it off. The thing that will make or break it will be the script. Since GL is a Warbird fan I dont think the action will be lacking.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Red_Russian13
03-01-2005, 10:20 PM
This is pretty good news, I'm excited about it. I think it'll be pretty well done, knowing that Lucas is a big fan of WWII aviation. I think (hope) he'll come through. It's a story that deserves to be told well. I can't wait! Although, I would be interested in hearing what Bearcat thought of the film starring Lawrence Fishburne, I thought it was pretty good.

In other news, not to hijack the thread (but I don't want to take up more OT space), the same team that made Band of Brothers is making a similar story about a Roman legion set IIRC around 100 AD. I hear it's going to be quite good. BBC and HBO produced Band of Brothers and this. Keep on the lookout if you're interested.

Thanks for the heads up on the Red Tails!

Bearcat99
03-01-2005, 10:36 PM
I though the film was pretty good.. I have it in my collection. The Airmen I met over the weekend liked it too. They all said that there were som innacuracies like the Eleanore Roosevelt thing... she actually went up with C.A."Chief" Anderson not a cadet..... and they all said the racism was much worse.... the characters were blended in and there were a few fictional ones that never existed. I hope this film concentrates more on the total experience and not just the Redtail days....... either way Ill be there on opening day.

Tooz_69GIAP
03-01-2005, 11:44 PM
George Lucas is just bad.

I really hope he stays as far away from the script and director's chair as he possibly can!!

Feathered_IV
03-02-2005, 01:12 AM
Razorback? Was that the one that has "Wakey, wakey. Hands off snakey"?

Flydutch
03-02-2005, 02:26 AM
There is way to much Australians; The Gifted Alan Rickman & Biel then there is The Hunks: Hedger, Gladiator & Jesu... i mean Gibson, on the "White" screen, to be seen!(LoL)
When is there going to be A film Starring A Native Aussie Aboriginal Warrior!?

I remeber when our Dutch Indies Airforce fled to Australia the Aussies RAAF crews refused to 'serve' the Coloured Pilots or Superior ranks that the Dutch colonial Airforce featured A lot. the Whole matter ended up to the Supreme Allied Commander in the theater, McArthur who demanded Segregation on the Dutch party! (As sported in the US forces)Anti-Authority as the Dutch It did not happen.

I for one would rather see A film on the South African Top Ace and Tactic master Sailor 'Gysbert' Malan who after the war fought Apartheid and Alzheimer As I understood!
Or his Luftwaffe Counterpart Werner Moelders Spanish civil War Vet and Early Propaganda Favorite Who became Anti-Nazi becuase he found out the Nazi persucution of fellow Catholics who critizised the Government, Moelders refused to wear his high Decorations out of protest and died in as A Chrash as an Aircraft passenger on his way to pay last respects to A other 'Hero'Ernst Udet, Who Commited 'Suicide'
'Suicide' Like Rommel maybe!?
the Nazi's seemed to have been most fanatic to 'fellow' Nazi's and executed, murdered or forced high figures to commit 'suicide'!
now that would make A interesting story for A WWII thriller Don't you think?

Have you guys seen "Tuskegee Airman" starring 'Morpheus'Fisburn btw?

Monson74
03-02-2005, 02:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
The last thing we need is some **** love story to get in the way of some of the best P-51 pilots the world has ever known. I swear if he messes this up he's a dead man. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - a new Pearl Harbor (the WWII Titanic) but this time with P51s.

Rab03
03-02-2005, 03:33 AM
I couldn't resist. I wonder whether flight models applied to P51s during specFX creation would be those of X-wing or Tie fighters? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

dadada1
03-02-2005, 03:51 AM
So what are the directing credentials of George Lucas, The Star Wars series. All of them flimsy as paper when it comes to dialogue and one dimensional when it comes to characterisation. People are actually looking forward to this ?

Chuck_Older
03-02-2005, 04:36 AM
Ever seen Star Wars Episode IV:A New Hope?

Or American Graffiti?

He didn't direct 'The Star Wars Movies' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

American Graffiti in particular shows his directing potential. THX1138 is interesting, but not a directational tour de force

dadada1
03-02-2005, 06:32 AM
I think I'm correct in saying he directed the first Star Wars movie, see link below, enough said on that subject. I assume we agree that he was responsible for putting pen to paper with regards to this franchaise.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/

It's been a long time since I saw American Graffiti so I'll have to refresh my memory, but let me see, when did he make that film, 1973.

WOLFMondo
03-02-2005, 07:40 AM
If he's just the producer it probably means its going to be made by Dreamworks or somthing, he's just one of the guys fronting the money.

Saunders1953
03-02-2005, 08:49 AM
On the plus side: THX 1138, American Graffiti and the original Star Wars. Then there's the last 3 episodes of Star Wars--yikes! It's definitely a **** shoot.

Heywood, you'd think Wolfgang Pedersen would be the one, but then there's Troy! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

civildog
03-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Lucas didn't direct the Star Wars movies?

Holy cow, are you guys that young? I camped out overnight to see Star Wars (bcak when it cam out it was the ONLY one, that subtitle just sounded wetrd) to see it when it opened at Mann's Theatre in Hollywood when I was a kid.

Yes, he directed it. But Empire Strikes Back is better and more mature (better character development, plot, themes, etc.), he didn't direct that.

So if you want to hang your hat on American Graffiti, ok. That was a loooong time ago. And even that movie is pretty iffy.

civildog
03-02-2005, 09:05 AM
There may have been "Troy", but there was also "Master and Commander"!!!!

He has a long track record of good movies with one bad one, Lucas has 1 or 2 good movies with a bunch of crappy ones. Including crappy ones he produced.

p1ngu666
03-02-2005, 09:25 AM
i want chris rock in this film http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

itll be cool if he does it, gotta love them tuskegee's http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Saunders1953
03-02-2005, 09:34 AM
"Lucas didn't direct the Star Wars movies?"

LOL. I'm 51 and took my 4 year old to the first Star Wars movie, and like I said and you agreed, he directed it (and fer Chrissake, he produced them all!). THX, (original)Star Wars and Am. Graffiti were all innovative and in one way or another, original at the time. Then came the last 3 episodes of SW. So like I said, it's a **** shoot with Lucas at the helm. The good thing is he, like Spielberg, is a WWII aviation fan.

Pedersen--when he's hot, he's terribly hot, and when he's cold, it's scary.

Edit: Sorry Civ Dog, I thought your post was directed at me. I type too slow and am between meetings at work and these threads tends to get away from me.

Chuck_Older
03-02-2005, 09:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CivilDog:
Lucas didn't direct the Star Wars movies?

Holy cow, are you guys that young? . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many Star Wars movies in the original three do you think he directed?

Lucas directed A New Hope
Kershner directed Empire Strikes Back
Marquand directed Return of the Jedi http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I know you know, but you still say "Lucas didn't direct the Star Wars Movies"?

No, he didn't. You're confusing me. You know he didn't, but you still ask...what are you really trying to say? It's very unclear

dadada1
03-02-2005, 10:28 AM
To clarify.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/

Th rest of his credits are here. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000184/

civildog
03-02-2005, 12:23 PM
I believe I pointed out that he only directed the first one. Which was great when I was a kid, but now looks pretty cartoony. But what do I know - my tastes range from Cowboy Beebop to Kurasawa on one end and all the way down to Shaft on the other.

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 12:27 PM
For all of you bashing the Aussie movies and actors, let me remind of a movie that even today ranks very high on my list of favorite movies: Mad Max and Mad Max 2 (The Road Warrior). Mel Gibson at his best (and youngest)! That black Ford Falcon XB turned into the mean, black, V-8 Interceptor... Need I say more?

What was Hollywood's answer to that? Smokey and the Bandit (black Trans Am is way cool!) and Cannonball Run. LOL!

civildog
03-02-2005, 12:33 PM
"It's the last of the big V-8's Max!"

"Speed is just a question of money. How fast do you wanna go?"

"The Bronze steal our pride. Do it for the Nightrider."

and the all time best..."I AM HUMONGOUS!"

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Ahh, glad to see other people enjoying classics. I love the hissing sound of the blower (too bad it's just a dummy)!

By the way, that shoud be "The Brawns (cops)steal our pride...

Humonguous- The Ayatollah of Rock'n'Rolla! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

civildog
03-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Ah!! I always thought it referred to their badges or something...like "Copper" referred to the early Metropolitain Police's big copper buttons in street slang.

I saw the uncut DVD version of MadMax recently, with the original soundtrack...sorry as it may sound I far prefer the US voices. ToeCutter doesn't sound as mean in the Aussie voice version.

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 12:53 PM
I have both movies in original versions, Aussie accent and all - it somehow sounds much more natural and it's really funny to hear Gibson speak with his native accent.

I was really disapointed by Mad Max 3 - I mean who wants to see cars run on pig **** (methane) after the explosive action in MM2?

Interesting fact about "Coppers". That explains where "Cop" comes from!

Chuck_Older
03-02-2005, 01:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jasko76:
For all of you bashing the Aussie movies and actors, let me remind of a movie that even today ranks very high on my list of favorite movies: Mad Max and Mad Max 2 (The Road Warrior). Mel Gibson at his best (and youngest)! That black Ford Falcon XB turned into the mean, black, V-8 Interceptor... Need I say more?

What was Hollywood's answer to that? Smokey and the Bandit (black Trans Am is way cool!) and Cannonball Run. LOL! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That wasn't supposed to be the same genre film...it was in reply to the Gumball rally, not Mad Max. That was the era of Hollywood "Good Old Boy" films like 'Any which way but Loose', 'Gator', and 'Longest Yard', 'Hooper'.... Note that Reynolds starred in most of those films...they are not the type of film that raod Warrior was. The common thread was the main character drove a cool car...that's like comparing Phantom of the Opera to the Producers because folks wore tuxedoes in both films.

And in any case, Gibson was younger in 'Tim'. Not sure about 'Gallipoli', but he was pretty young in that...but 'Tim' pre-dates all of his other movies, doesn't it?

Chuck_Older
03-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Ah!! I always thought it referred to their badges or something...like "Copper" referred to the early Metropolitain Police's big copper buttons in street slang.
. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make no mistake, it is "bronze", not 'brawns'. You are correct, it was in reference to the bronze badges worn by Main Force Patrol troopers like Max Rocatanski (Forgot he had a last name, didn't you? I can't remember his badge number though...) Fifi was his boss...there was Goose of course, and Barry, and Barry's partner was...Rufe? Never could clearly hear his name. Max's kid's name was....Sproggo?..nice name, kid http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif Toecutter says Max's wife's name but I never could understand what he says, my copy of the film's pretty old...There was Toecutter, Johnny the boy, Bubbazinetti, Mudgutts, Convalini (he lost his hand)...

Don't know where you got the idea it was 'brawns', Jasko....

If you read your post, Civil, you say "The star wars movies", plural...that's where the confusion lies...go read the post, you'll see what I mean http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 02:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Don't know where you got the idea it was 'brawns', Jasko.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brawns - Authority, power and masculinity! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Are you certain about the "bronze"?

I'm not saying that I'm correct with brawns, it just sounds cool!

Speaking of Max's son, whatever happens to the kid in the second movie? The wife dies, but the kid survives.

An interesting fact is that director George Miller actually wrecked his own family car since they ran out money and needed that extra crash scene. I think it was the station wagon pulling a trailer that one of the MFP pursuits slams through. Now that's a director!

Another good classic is "Bullit" with Steve McQueen. Excellent music by Lolo Sifrin (spelling?)

Chuck_Older
03-02-2005, 02:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jasko76:

Are you certain about the "bronze"?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, since I've seen brawny women...yes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Didn't know Miller wrecked his own car. You learn something new all the time

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, he did wreck his own ride. I don't have exact numbers, but the budget on Mad Max was laughable. I've heard it cost something like $60000 in 1979, most music videos cost at least ten times as much today!

Anyway, he decided thatwrecking his own car was worth it. And yes it was! I must have seen this movie at least 10 times.

DarthBane_
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
You disapoint me pupy.

civildog
03-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Yeah, "Thunderdome" bit. Too overproduced and it didn't fit in with the plot very well. Things hadn't gone to heck that long.

I first saw MadMax in 1980 on cable. I didn't know what it was supposed to be about, but there was just something about it that kept making me watch it again and again. By the time Roadwarrior came out on the big screen here, all my friends probably went to see it with me just to shut me up about it. Boy, did that movie change things!

My favorite scene is the one were the two guys kept on chained collars were driven up next to the tanker and cut loose. My friends and I all yelled, "Release the hounds" everytime we saw that seen!

Jasko76
03-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Yep, Mad Max 2 is a VERY violent film, the edited version doesen't makes it justice. I bought it on DVD and, boy, was I disappointed to find out some scenes were cut out! I only watched that DVD once before dusting off the old VHS tape with the original version on it.

One funny thing about the film though is the fact that everyone drives big, V-8 powered cars and there is no "juice" around. Only way to get it is to steal it, and preferably kill the owner in the process http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif!

Gyro-pilot is the man - The snake, no one's ever beat the snake! (Read it with Aussie accent!)

Korolov
03-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Excerpt from the script of Lucas' new movie:

"This-a is-a Jar-Jar, Mesa been HIT! Mesa on FIRE!"

"Hold on, Jar-Jar! I can't see over the dashboard, but I'm coming anyways!"

"Mesa had it! Mesa bailing out!"

It's even funnier if you apply it to our current FB AI pilots.

civildog
03-02-2005, 07:10 PM
"Stay on target...stay on target"

And the German flight leader can be breathing heavily in his oxy mask, "The Force is strong with this one." just before his wingmen are blown out of the sky by the Red-Tail leader's buddy zooming down in his converted C-47 gunship!

pourshot
03-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Civil if you like the older movies you may like anouther aussie one called "Running On Empty", its low budget but its fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Its all about the street racing scene so I suppose it's our American graffiti. I watched it over and over as a kid becuse it was full of the cars we all wanted to own. At partys we would qoute the lines over and over luaghing our heads off. Also much of it was film around were i lived so it added to its coolness http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

movie link (http://www.pitstop.net.au/pitstop/page/movies_DVD/15246.html)

civildog
03-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Most excellent, I'll check it out! Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the budding Aussie/ New Zealand film industry.

erco415
07-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Redtails trailer is out. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDI8lKlyhPY&feature=youtu.be)

Bearcat99
07-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up J..

erco415
07-29-2011, 09:00 PM
My pleasure. What do you think?

Bearcat99
07-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Looks good.. We will see.. I like the fact that there are P-40s in it.

Swivet
07-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by SKIDRO_79FS:
From an article in Vanity Fair, George Lucas is quoted as saying:

Working in the present to put the past behind him, Lucas is keeping his energy level up by looking toward the future. "I'm going to produce a film called 'Red Tails,' about black fighter pilots during World War II," he said. "I'm going to produce a couple TV shows, then I'll think about when I'll direct again."

The story:http://www.mtv.com/movies/news...03012005/story.jhtml (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1497599/03012005/story.jhtml)

Bearcat, check your shorts! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif