PDA

View Full Version : Mig-3UD 12.7mm/x2 7.62.

Jimston2008
07-17-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm playing a few player made campaigns which require you to fly an early era Mig. I'm having a bit of trouble as far as getting on the 6 o clock of BF109's.

On average, i find my self around 200 yards behind them, while struggling to really get on they're tail. The Mig has weak armament, as the 7.62's tend to become useless at any decent distance.

I'm experimenting with prop pitch and trim, but what I'd like to know, how can i best close in on 109's, and when i say close in, i mean I'd love to get 50-100 yards behind them, so that a huge burst of MG fire can hopefully tear them a new ********, rather then being half useless.

thx.

M_Gunz
07-17-2009, 01:41 AM
That 109 seat armor is pretty solid stuff. Maybe shooting from dead six isn't such a good idea.

Freiwillige
07-17-2009, 02:36 AM
The Mig is really the underdog in this match up.
I am playing a campaign right now and its tuff to just survive against the messerscmitts. They are faster in acceleration. Climb better, Dive better and can ride a horizontal turn to the edge while your flopping around trying not to spin. If you can take the fight above 21,000 feet or 7K cause your speed advantage really opens up and high is where the Mig-3 shines.

There is a reason that by 1942 they were religated to high alt Moscow defence units while Yaks and Laggs fought more on the front lines.

The only advice I really have is stay fast and try to get above them before the engagment.

general_kalle
07-17-2009, 03:39 AM
i dont know about the very early MiG but ive always thought that it was an extremely fast plane compared to its time in 1941-42

you sure that you arent aktually faster than the Me109E if you give it time to speed up?

p1ngu666
07-17-2009, 04:11 AM
fly it like you stole it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
notsure if you can play with fuel mix in that mig, but run as rich as you can, and remmber you can close the radiator for abit more speed

DKoor
07-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Yo pingu where have you been hiding http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

MiG-3 is one of the sexiest planes in the sim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif .
It is actually outclasses Bf-109E (~40kph faster), and it is a match to a Friedrich (~10-20kph slower on low/med alts than 109F)... it depends mucho on initial position of aircraft.
Bf-109 is not a strong plane DM wise, 2xShKAS + 1xUB should be enough to inflict serious/mortal damage with one well aimed burst.

Jimston2008
07-17-2009, 07:18 AM
I use every possible bit of engine management to my advantage, but I have a hard time actually getting my rounds on target due to the fact that the gun sight on the Mig seems to be positioned a bit low.

my rounds always seem to fall short, or at least most of the time anyways. It seems the only way i can land rounds on the target, is if i nose up to the point where i can no longer see the 109.

If there is any way to adjust the gun sight, or eat position, then i may have better luck. Shift+F1 doesn't remedy the issue either.

Jimston2008
07-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Oh also, I'm playing the campaign that is included in IL2 1946. Throughout each mission, you find your self leading flights of 2-3 Mig's at the most, and often encounter twice as many 109's and i believe 190's as well.

I'm on a mission now where i have to hunt down and take out two German Aces at high altitude that are supposed to be covering a spotter plane or HE-110.

JtD
07-17-2009, 07:39 AM
I played this campaign with very good results. However, I can't really help you. I scored a lot of 109's when they were returning to base when low on fuel. Sounds as poor as it was.
In my engagements I very hard tried to stay on top of them, coming down on the ones that tried to climb up to my level. In a climb, they are slow and easier to hit. You still need to shoot a lot with the 109 out of sight.
I managed to score one or the other 109 like that, but the funny thing was that they always started to rtb some time into combat, flying straight to base because they were low on fuel. So I got to their 6 and shot them down. Wasn't rare to bag half a dozen of them this way.

Jimston2008
07-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Would the Mig become a more stable firing platform with reduced Prop pitch? and if so, what percentage would you prefer.

M_Gunz
07-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Convergence distance adjusts the guns, the shots should cross the crosshair at convergence distance.
What kind of speeds are you keeping in the fight?

There is the big problem in so many cases of trying to stay on six when your plane is not capable of equal performance
at the speed the target flies. Then you cannot stay right on his six if he is any good and tries to throw you off.
You might be able to follow, just not right on his six.

Jimston2008
07-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I fly as fast as the aircraft will go with proper trim settings. I'm beginning to believe the problem is simple...

I'm not engaging the fighters at the altitude in which the Mig excels.

Seeing as the guns are mounted in the Engine Cowl, i should probably raise the convergence even further beyond 200 meters, so that i could atleast see my rounds hitting the target.