PDA

View Full Version : Quick Tips On Carrier Landings

MisterMark
08-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Been flying a campaign with Corsairs and now I'm stationed off of Iwo Jima on an aircraft carrier. I don't seem to have any problems with take off, but every landing has ended in disaster.

Can someone give me some quick tips on making a successful landing? I feel like I'm doing most of the right things... Yes the arrestor hook is down and I've got full flaps down. I'm usually coming in a 180kmp or less.

Help!

Mark

mike_espo
08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Hmmm. I used to fly the Zero 21 before. Did not have much problem landing it. Sounds like you are doing everything right....Are you trimming the aircraft for landing: radiator open and positive elevator trim?

WTE_Galway
08-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Make yourself a mission spawning positioned on finals and record some tracks of your landing attempts. Replay them and look for the problem. For example are you bouncing? Perhaps you are doing a two pointer and the hook is too high?

Once you can see the problem you are 75% of the way towards fixing it.

Georg_Unterberg
08-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm doing a campaign in a Wildcat right now. Here a few hints:

180 km/h is too fast, try approaching the carrier at 160-170 km/h with gear down / hook down / flaps down. Recommended touch down speed 150km/h. Be careful not to approach too slow, you'll stall at <150 km/h.

During your descending approach, aim your flight path marker or crosshair at the front of the carrier as the carrier moves away from you. Right before touchdown aim at the wires, drop throttle and pull up nose so that the hook catches a wire.
The descent & touchdown are a bit "rough" but that's ok - you must catch that wire! If you miss, simply throttle up and go around for another try.

Zeus-cat
08-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I made a campaign to help everyone with carrier landings. It is called "Straight From the Farm". See the link below. The campaign uses the SBD-3, but you can also fly the single missions included with the campaign which have takeoffs and landings for many carrier-based aircraft.

ffb
08-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Corsairs are difficult a/c to carrier land...even the USN found that...

try the SBD3 ..it must be the easiest to learn with

(and i use the tele sight to watch the far end of the deck....my little tip)

buzzsaw1939
08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
AAAHHHAAGG!... There he goes with the tele sight again,.....Don't do it, it's bad karma! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

WskyStr8
08-05-2008, 11:23 PM
I found a carrier training film by Dart invaluable when I was trying to learn carrier landings. Have a look at http://www.darts-page.com/ . He has a few training films that are well worth the download.

Zeus-cat
08-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I forgot to mention that many people find that the Corsair is easier to land if they do the turning approach. They did this in real life too. Because the nose is so big it is difficult to see around.

The solution was to approach the carrier in a long descending turn so that you were near the stern of the carrier as you finished the turn and were only a few feet above the deck. On U.S. carriers I believe this approach was always done using a left turn.

Matz0r
08-06-2008, 04:44 AM
I find the Zeke to be pretty narly to land on carriers, the problem is that the hook does not "hang down" so you need a three point landing and if you bounce your chances of missing the wires increases. The USN planes on the other hand has a hanging hook which makes it possible to get away with a two wheel landing, all of the are very easy to land especially the F6F.

(The most difficult to land must be Val, not because of the landing but because of the difficulty in getting back to the carrier alive http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

TheCrux
08-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by F16_Matz_:
I find the Zeke to be pretty narly to land on carriers, the problem is that the hook does not "hang down" so you need a three point landing and if you bounce your chances of missing the wires increases. The USN planes on the other hand has a hanging hook which makes it possible to get away with a two wheel landing, all of the are very easy to land especially the F6F.

(The most difficult to land must be Val, not because of the landing but because of the difficulty in getting back to the carrier alive http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Good points. The one about the Val is funny too...as in too true.

Knowing your "dirty" stall speed is critical. When I'm on final glide slope, I trim fairly nose high and almost hover on the ragged edge of my stall speed...to the point I'm controlling my altitude ( and to a much lesser degree speed ) with throttle only. I get so comfortable landing on online servers ( Mostly 'Zekes vs Wildcats' ) with stationary carriers that when I do land offline on moving carriers, their added speed makes them like landing on a 5,000 feet runway by comparison. Indeed, I find the take-off weight the most limiting factor in online stationary carriers. I can get a Val with a 250Kg and 2 60Kg bombs off a still carrier with 50 pct fuel, but I just about end up with barnacles on my wheel pants.

Ronbo3
08-06-2008, 08:42 AM
There are already training missions for landing and taking off for most of the carrier aircraft in single missions.

I found its just a matter of being easy on the controls and pointing at the deck. then just easing up on the stick to level out gently after chopping power. use throttle sometimes to control speed/decent rate. just takes practice.

general_kalle
08-06-2008, 03:05 PM
hmm i find the amarican plans the easyist to land after the Seafire.
corsair doesnt seam more difficult than the others...but i dont do so many landing anymore so maybe thats why

Blindman-
08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Here is the advice that I give in my carrier landing mission for Corsairs:

To launch:
Put down full flaps, lock tail wheel, chocks away, stand on brakes while going full throttle, release brakes as soon as nose starts to fall.

When just at end of deck raise nose just a bit, too much might stall you. Raise gear ASAP if having trouble launching.

To practice landing:
As soon as you have successfully launched quickly get to 100+m and 200+kph, if you put up flaps or wheels put them down, reduce throttle to 30-40% (37% is just enough to stay flying with flaps and wheels down with the corsair), aim at carrier wake while dropping in altitude to about 40 meters (you should now be about 1 km behind the carrier), raise nose to match conning tower while coming in (you should be just a bit to the right of center with deck, this helps avoid hitting the conning tower), DROP ARRESTING HOOK, you should now be coming in at about 30 meters and 180 kph or so (if you get below 18 meters you will have to hit the gas and go around), when you are just about at the deck be at about 20 meters and 170 kph (going under 170kph with the Corsair is dangerous that low in altitude), cut throttle and pull nose up to catch the deck with hook (don't pull up too steeply). And remember that throttle is used to control altitude at low speeds, pulling back on the elevators will slow you down.

Said mission is part of the "Two Minutes To Action Training Missions lvls:1-6 (Beginner-Intermediate)", which includes 3 difficultys of landing (3 carrier speeds) to chose from. Found at:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3358

fabianfred
08-06-2008, 05:56 PM
BTW with the new Wind Mod ...it makes carrier ops much easier...to t/o with a load and to just float in at near stall

MisterMark
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for everyones advice. Blindman's advice seemed to do the trick for me! I think my problem was i was aiming for the close end of the deck then trying to level out at in the last moments.... Seems getting just above deck level much sooner helped.