PDA

View Full Version : Very much OT about Windows Update that does not work.

rijnton1944
04-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Today I saw that there were a number of important updates for Windows XP and I could download and install them without a problem. However I tried to do the same on my wife's pc (on which is a separate and also legally bought Windows XP Home Edition) but no matter how often I try it, every time I get the same list of important updates and when I choose Install I get the message that the update failed and that the updates were not installed. SP2 is already installed a long time ago btw.
Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LEBillfish
04-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Turn on "automatic updates" or let windows-update do it then turn it back off when done.

It's their new plow to try and "force" 24/7 access to your PC...not that they couldn't anywho, this just makes it "legal" and "chosen" by you.

rijnton1944
04-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks LEBillfish, but Automatic Update was already checked. Besides I had it not checked on my pc and could update without a problem.
Just now I tried it again and now I saw the strange thing that all the "important updates" are mentioned, after running Windows Update, but that they are all 0 KB large. I looked under Software in Control Panel to see if they have been installed already but none of the Hotfixes are there. On my pc I can see them there however.

FoolTrottel
04-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Seen this too, just tonight.
Check the left column of the Windows Update page, it might say 'Install Updates(2)' if the updates have been downloaded, but not installed.
(The number(2) can surely differ on your PC!)

Click on the 'Install Updates'.
The Updates will then be installed.

Good Luck!