PDA

View Full Version : Help with IL2 for XBOX 360...Realism?

SilentBaker
08-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Hello

Does anyone know if the IL2 version for XBOX 360 will be as realistic as it is for the PC?

For IL2, XBOX 360, is to be released next month and was going to buy it, along with a XBOX 360 joystick, when ready.

Is it more arcade, then the PC, whereas the damage models are not quit up to par and the whole game has a more arcade feel to it?

I do not have XBOX live yet so can not download the beta of game to test it.

thx

The_Stealth_Owl
08-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Ban!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

Computers rule!

No other!

megalopsuche
08-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Xbox? Realism? This must be a troll.

The_Stealth_Owl
08-16-2009, 09:36 AM
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt138/SILVERFISH1992/lock.gif

Zeus-cat
08-16-2009, 10:05 AM
To actually answer your question the expectation form this crowd would be certainly not. For IL-2 1946 I have a force feedback joystick, a throttle quadrant, a switch box I made myself with 20 switches and a keyboard. I don't see how Xbox can match that.

VW-IceFire
08-16-2009, 10:10 AM
IL-2 Birds of Prey is a weird one. It is attempting to be a simulator while at the same time its trying to exist on a console which is definitely more casual.

I've played the demo and I have mixed feelings about it.

The game definitely has more atmosphere than the PC version of IL-2 and the graphics are very impressive indeed. Flying in it is very difficult on the simulator mode and I'm not sure if thats because of the 360 controller interface or because of some weirdness in the flight model.

The missions are only loosely based on history and, while more fun, don't really come off as being real. They are more contrived than something from the PC version.

I have a huge problem with some of the stuff they did with the planes. Most of the aircraft available were selected because they were exciting rather than because they were actually there at the battle in any meaningful quantity. The Spitfire given is the rare Mark IIb with the 20mm cannons. Typical configuration for the later Mark V but during the Battle of Britain only a single squadron trialled a Mark Ib with cannons and the experiment was a disaster...cannons weren't ready for combat use yet. The P-51D-5 I was flying in the second demo mission comes fully equipped with HVAR rockets (32 of them!)...and its got a P-47 cockpit rather than a P-51 cockpit.

Also don't get me started on them using the wrong markings (shape, style, position, etc.), camouflage schemes, and so forth. Its better than Blazing Angels for these things yes...but not up to true simulator level (even PC IL-2 makes its share of mistakes but its very authentic).

So if you're asking is it a worthwhile simulator-esq experience on the 360 (without worrying too much about getting the planes and history right): the answer is I don't know. The game on a regular controller is more fun using the arcade mode where you can fly very fast and turn without much stalling. On simulator mode flying is hard, the regular controller becomes awkward, and the missions (at least those in the demo) feel contrived.

If you want my honest advice...spend the $10 on the IL-2 1946 version, get yourself a good joystick for the PC, and enjoy yourself there with the PC's superior multiplayer capabilities. Yes its a bit of a hit on graphics (PC IL-2 is much older) but its otherwise a more authentic and expansive (case in point: user downloadable campaigns) experience. If you MUST have a console and are ok with loosing some of the experience for the better graphics and more fun oriented gameplay....then Birds of Prey is a decent shot.

I'm undecided about buying it. It looks like a good game and the team that worked on it has spent lots of time making it a polished product. But they didn't do all of their homework and its unclear if the 360 is the best platform for this sort of thing...time will tell. Because it wanted to be a simulator I'm giving it a harder time here...Ace Combat 6 for instance is immensely enjoyable as a more arcade shoot em up with an epic storyline. Blazing Angels 2 has that Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe feel to it which is also lots of fun to play. Neither tried to be simulators...so Birds of Prey has a difficult target to achieve.

SilentBaker
08-16-2009, 10:30 AM
According to the reviews the damage models and like are suppose to be on par with the PC version..with MUCH better graphics. When I played IL2 , PC, I mainly only played dogfights...so IL2 xbox 360 might fit my style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBqW1QIQ5NM
http://www.xboxist.com/xbox-36...pressions-010615.php (http://www.xboxist.com/xbox-360/games/il2-sturmovik-demo-impressions-010615.php)

VW-IceFire
08-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Depends on the mode...in the arcade mode you can blast a Heinkel away in a few cannon hits. In the simulator mode the aircraft are tougher...its hard to say how much tougher but its similar to the PC version yes. The graphics are good looking yes.

If thats all you want then its alright...but its missing some of the other bits I mentioned. I also absolutely detest having to pay $50 a year for XBox Live Gold services in order to be able to play online when all that it amounts to is a glorified matchmaking system - they don't even host the games...its all peer to peer. From what I've seen the online experience won't be as good anyways...the 360 is just too limited to have it as good as we do on PC.

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by The_Stealth_Owl:

Computers rule!

No other!

Originally posted by megalopsuche:
Xbox? Realism? This must be a troll.

I would appreciate it if you guys were a little more welcoming to newer members. While it may not have been your intention, you guys came off extremely rude and I don't want to see it again, thank you.

The_Stealth_Owl
08-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Yes sir, but he is not new... 2007

Mr_Zooly
08-16-2009, 03:35 PM
and ?!?!
you have been here how long? days? you might want to give the newer guys a break as it seems you are one yourself! or are you?!?!?

The_Stealth_Owl
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Been here for 4 months.

I'm silverfish, ms-kleaneasy said I could make a new account.

SeaFireLIV
08-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by SilentBaker:
Hello

Does anyone know if the IL2 version for XBOX 360 will be as realistic as it is for the PC?

For IL2, XBOX 360, is to be released next month and was going to buy it, along with a XBOX 360 joystick, when ready.

Is it more arcade, then the PC, whereas the damage models are not quit up to par and the whole game has a more arcade feel to it?

thx

Simple answer.: NO. It won`t be as realistic as the PC.

And, yes, it`s more arcade like, although I hear you can stall.

It`s pretty hard these days to find any game that`s based on reality that will be as realistic as the PC, simply due to the forced simplification of controls. And then there`s the mindset.

grifter2u
08-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Hello

dont let the nay sayers get you down, birds of prey will be a pretty good flightsim if you set it to max realistic settings. for a start the scenery will look a lot better then what exists now for il-1946. since xboxes are connected to tv's, you'll also get a pretty big screen to work with. technically the modeling of flight physics might not be as correct as il-1946, but they made a lot of effort in BoP to make it as close as they can.

whatever joystick you buy for the xbox, try and buy a fairly decent one instead of just the cheapest, and try and get one you might also be able to use on a pc should you want to evolve to the newest pc il2 version that is just around the corner to be released (BoB)

and as a bonus, if you get the xbox version, you'll be able to play Forza3 later on to http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

K_Freddie
08-17-2009, 12:53 AM

As this is the question you're looking an answer for...
I think it's been answered with a 'No', but one must also consider a few things.
As pointed out, graphics, although nice to have, does not, and never will make a good game/sim. If it's realism you're looking for then I'd say go with the proven packages - PC + accessories.
Use the XBox for simple 'playtime', but you can do this on the PC game anyway, so why waste your buckazoids on Xbox when you can use the same zoids for the PC accessories.

My kids get bored very quickly of arcade style games, and they always gravitate towards IL2, and are spending a lot more time on it nowdays that we now have to fight for airtime.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
It's just an example of how they've wasted their money on poor quality games - A lesson I let them learn themselves.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

mortoma
08-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Having tried XBOX 360 that my roomie has I can't see how the planes would be easy to control with that style of controllers. Probably flying a real fighter would be easier? Unless the sim has very simplified arcade FM of course. I just don't see how the control would be fine enough, XBOX controls seem so coarse to me. And the throws of those little joys on the controls are very short too. If you could call them joys. Could they match the feel of a real PC joystick with potentiometers? Never tried rotary encoder PC joys so I have no idea how they control.

pupo162
08-17-2009, 05:56 AM
the demo videos al around majorely show the arcade mode of the game.... neverhteless i saw some videos of the simulation mode where it had a couple of feautres that i never expected to see in a flight sim for a ocnsole.

about the controller problem i know i pilot who flys with an usb controler (ps3 like) and ive played with it: it is tricky at the beggining but after 15 min of play i got use to it and didnt stall anymore.

MD_Titus
08-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Been here for 4 months.

should know better then, even given your relative new-ness. 13 years old or not.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Computers rule!

No other!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually simulation mode for the 360 uses the same FM the PC version does. Very difficult with the 360 controller. I could not stop stalling my aircraft. A joystick is highly recommended. There are several to choose from.

Your best bet is to visit the 1C forums. Here you will only find people voicing a biased opinion based on anything but fact. Funny thing is I would bet most of them fly the PC version in arcade mode with wonderwoman view...lol.

Here is the link for you. http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=132

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by MD_Titus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Stealth_Owl:
Been here for 4 months.

should know better then, even given your relative new-ness. 13 years old or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These new guys crack me up. They come off with these comments like they know so much. Not realizing that many of us vets have been flying this sim for 8 years. Hmm...how old would that make some of them when we started I wonder. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SilentBaker:
Hello

thx

It`s pretty hard these days to find any game that`s based on reality that will be as realistic as the PC, simply due to the forced simplification of controls. And then there`s the mindset. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IL2 (PC version) is pretty arcady if you choose to fly it that way. Actually most of this community does. Although I am not one of them. You can do more with a keyboard involved there is no denying that. I do not believe BoP is trying to be anything nor is it claiming to be something it is not.

S!

The_Stealth_Owl
08-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD_Titus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Stealth_Owl:
Been here for 4 months.

should know better then, even given your relative new-ness. 13 years old or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These new guys crack me up. They come off with these comments like they know so much. Not realizing that many of us vets have been flying this sim for 8 years. Hmm...how old would that make some of them when we started I wonder. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'v been flying for 5 years.

P.S. You guys will learn to like me, everyone else does... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD_Titus:
Been here for 4 months.

These new guys crack me up. They come off with these comments like they know so much. Not realizing that many of us vets have been flying this sim for 8 years. Hmm...how old would that make some of them when we started I wonder. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'v been flying for 5 years.

P.S. You guys will learn to like me, everyone else does... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure you have. I have read several of your post which make if pretty clear you have only recently started flying IL2. Lie if you feel better.

The_Stealth_Owl
08-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Thats BS, I have been flyin that long, If you dont belive me then thats to bad, I am for real.

The_Stealth_Owl
08-17-2009, 05:10 PM
When I started I had flight sim 4 and then I got IL2 the original that came in a pack with lock on and pacific fighters when I was 9 and then I got 1946 when I was 12.

The_Stealth_Owl
08-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I turn 14 next month on the 24th http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
08-18-2009, 06:32 AM
I don't care how long you've been flying, you WILL be civil to new people or you won't be around to continue your rude behavior.

The_Stealth_Owl
08-18-2009, 06:34 AM
Yes sir.

SeaFireLIV
08-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SilentBaker:
Hello

thx

It`s pretty hard these days to find any game that`s based on reality that will be as realistic as the PC, simply due to the forced simplification of controls. And then there`s the mindset. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IL2 (PC version) is pretty arcady if you choose to fly it that way. Actually most of this community does. Although I am not one of them. You can do more with a keyboard involved there is no denying that. I do not believe BoP is trying to be anything nor is it claiming to be something it is not.

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was answering the OP`s question honestly as a Vet virtual pilot of 6 years (I joined 5 years ago) since we`re now naming time. I don`t see why you feel you even needed to make that statement. I am a realism flyer (no icons, etc) for what it matters. It`s not about how many people fly arcade here, it`s about the OP`s question and IL2 PC is far more realistic than the Xbox version. With Xbox version you can never attain the level of realism as with the PC. Simple fact.