PDA

View Full Version : My suggestions for AC3 - *SPOILERS*

Memmaatre2010
02-08-2010, 08:59 AM
I finished AC2 yesterday and I would like to list some things that needs to be changed/implemented and would in my humble http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif opinion make AC3 "the best game ever"...

I had fun in AC2, no dispute about that, but please here are some suggestions to think about:
1) The combat system needs to be changed, too damn easy (!) In fact as a friend of mine said, "if you leave the control all alone it still takes forever for the enemy to actually kill you".
Problems with combat in AC2 (in my opinion);
* The block feature which makes you 100% safe as long as you block and even if the enemy sometimes interrupts they won´t follow up with anything that really hurts.
* The feature (which is real fun!) to be able to steal the enemies weapons. Well... do it and then kill them. They cannot do anything about it; well ok ... perhaps you need two tries, then kill.
* Enemies only attack one on one even if it comes down to a stand-off with more than twenty guards.
* The unlimited amount of healing potions = (in compliance with unlimited money (almost)) and doctors around every corner.
* Too easy to assassinate guards on rooftops even when they have spotted you and warned you - it worked like nine times out of ten, and it shouldn´t.
* Too easy to end a fight by throwing guards from rooftops.
* The silly part when you notice that they cannot swim - IN VENICE - well... sorry guys but I’m just throwing you into the water. Though it was probably common not being able to swim back in the days ? this kind of ruined a lot of fights. AND acutally as I climbed up from sewers into the Vatican it felt like finally the enemies were a bit harder and also I thought that I couldn´t buy any more healing potions - but that was not true, I just looted them from corpses so even the finale was TOO EASY!

So beside the fun part - assassinations the other combat were uninteresting and WAY TO EASY!
When combat is as easy as this (don´t remember when I last played a quality game without any real challenges...) you don´t care whatever upgrades/weapons/moves you learn or buy - that part of the game was therefore lost to me early! One way to fight this is adding stamina so that you cannot block forever. Also if five enemies attack you then let them attack all five at the “same” time! To create challenging fights is not however an issue solved by raising their HP and so on;

The other problem with the combat was the AI that didn´t work (in my opinion). The new "wanted" system was great but there were too many, also too easy, ways to remove your wanted level - posters all over town and so on. The guards chased you but - not for long - like it was enough to run over a building and down again to street level and/or for 100% success - start swimming because they (as I wrote earlier) they actually drown... Enemies behaved irrationally like jumping of rooftops to a certain death, not minding you sneaking up on their buddies 10 feet away... and more.

The part with “prostitutes” and “thugs” were fun but kind of broken as well. Having too much money all the time made it too easy/cheap to use them. Also why did every group look exactly the same, saying the same thing over and over again? That is the next thing – the announcements around towns and comments from NPC´s were repeated at least up to my limit. There should be either more variations or “a counter” in code that silence them after a while - please.

The “interruptions” from people carrying crates worked fine (made it a little harder to complete missions) but I really missed the fools and the beggars from the first game (!) Especially did I miss the lunatics? I would like to see more of these (though frustrating) in the next game like for instance things falling down from windows, flower pots hitting you and ‘like’ doors opening in your way – whatever. I kind of wish the game world would be a more living, breathing environment in the next creed. So...

The atmosphere in the cities was lacking and that is damn sad when the engine and the work that has been done to implement these historical settings are beyond great. So I missed cafés, restaurants and more shops - that weren´t selling only paintings, equipment and salesmen selling other stuff than poison and healing potions. In other words the architecture were incredible (as in the first game) - but what are the people, living in these towns, doing all day? Where are the colosseums, “churchgoers “, marketplaces were transactions actually verbally takes place - there were a few parties too "attend" to in a.... assassinate way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif but in the next episode please add more social situations, institutions (not just the façades of those). To make it more clear I remember one mission were I was going to kill a guy “at a party” – ending up in an open space in the street surrounded by guards – this would have been much more exiting if it all were done in an actual apartment/castle were people actually partied.

Also I kind of missed out on the dark side of the medieval era. This would be easiest described by comparing the informative movies (gore/blood/sexual contains) about the targets with what took place in the actual game world... I believe you saw more of the bad deeds your target made in AC1. In AC2 they were more or less just walking around somewhere like any other npc. In the next episode of AC I would like to “catch them in the act” so to speak. It would also be nice to be able to “cleanse” the cities from “the dark side”... perhaps solve a plague with help from Leonardo – so the town in a graphical way going from bad (with corpse wagons) to paradise... Killing of a tyrant meaning you afterwards actually met people cheering, dancing in the streets – the inhabitants in AC2 were kind of “zombiefied” as also the world although all its splendour.

The same goes for the informative texts about places - often with a fun twist – those were great but as an example: I read about a temple were women used to sew brown shoes ... but no such woman were present - graphically displayed. That could be because it didn´t match the timeframe but you get my point (I hope) – often the “codex” promised a darker, more interesting story behind characters and places than the circumstances/places/action presented in the actual game world - which made it kind of disappointing.

The only thing the engine didn´t manage was: The water. It felt like ice and sounded like ice when you dived into it. Also some of the voiceovers should be better 2010 (check Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2). The main char held a high standard but some of the NPC´s were really not that good. Dragon Age in my opinion set an entirely new standard for voiceovers and I get exalted when I think about how AC3 will sound...

The good things listed; the "running" races (but too few of them), the “background” stories – the story as a whole and its presentation, the murder contracts. It’s a very nice game but I cannot let go of the need to be entirely satisfied in the next episode of Assassins Creed, therefore I wrote down my suggestions.

mojsarn
02-08-2010, 09:35 AM
I agree on everything, but if you post it in the AC3 thread you will get more feedback, the mod should be posting it here soon.

Memmaatre2010
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Well I thought I did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif if you mean the "AC 3 and beyond" - thread. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

zjc96
02-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I think the fighting is fine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif but the other stuff i agree with

bokeef04
02-09-2010, 09:15 PM
two things i find out of place with what you have wrote

1. on numerous occasions i have been attacked by two guards at once, i think the game needs a more fluid transition to fighting like in Arkham Asylum

2. if you steal a guards weapon he is unarmed and therefore unable to defend himself, although i would rather you kill them in the process of disarming rather then as a second seperate move

i agree on the taking too many hits to kill you, but if it took only one hit and you died people would quickly lose interest in the game as it would be too hard, but i'd like to see a difficulty setting so you can set it so that you can make it more realistic if you like.

if you think 5 guys are going to go running in with swords your mistaken, i wouldn't, your more likely to get hit with a friends sword then the enemies, also a good swordsmen won't wait for 5 guys to surround him and attack, they go on the offensive and not give them time to think or prepare a defence

zgubilici
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Memmaatre2010, if you have already posted in the AC3 and beyond thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/8251094497/p/42), then please continue discussions in there. If not, then please share your ideas/opinions in that particular thread.
There is no need for another new topic about this issue.

Thanks.