PDA

View Full Version : OT: Where am I?

VonKlugermon
08-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Some silly officer made me run up here after a full lunch of spaghetti...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/willson/whereami.jpg

Where am I?

Willy

LStarosta
08-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Currahee?

VonKlugermon
08-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by LStarosta:
Currahee?

Ding, ding, ding,...we have a winner!

1600 plus feet of pure uphill hell! Especially in the summer (90+F temperature, 90% humidity!), after visiting here, I have a heck of a lot more respect for those guys! Only one building still standing from the camp (Officers Mess) and a nice memorial.

Willy

madsarmy
08-01-2005, 12:02 PM
You call that a hill?

Where I come from thats a doorstephttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DxyFlyr
08-01-2005, 12:02 PM
That's awesome, Klugermon. Nice Pic.

They could probably sell tickets to that run now. Heck, I'd run it once just to say I had. (Not that I'd make it).

And hats off from me too to those guys.

LStarosta
08-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by DxyFlyr:
That's awesome, Klugermon. Nice Pic.

They could probably sell tickets to that run now. Heck, I'd run it once just to say I had. (Not that I'd make it).

And hats off from me too to those guys.

I wish my Cross Country team decided to hold a camp there. We'd f*cking dominate at States.

VonKlugermon
08-01-2005, 12:14 PM
There is a trail/road to the top. The Colonel Robert Sink Memorial Trail, open to the public. Here's a website with some info:

http://currahee.hispeed.com/toccoamemorial.html

I imagine the Stephens County folks would welcome a "run to the top"!

Willy

danjama
08-01-2005, 12:36 PM
ah i shuda won the competition, i saw it...CURRAHEE look down some1 already posted, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif all the same great post, thats a nice pic!

VonKlugermon
08-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Oh, on another note: During this journey (Florida to North Carolina and back), we drove past several "roadside" aircraft. I think a lot of people call them "gate guards" and I hadn't seen to many around, so it was interesting. I didn't get any pics of the planes (wife wouldn't let me stop) but here's a brief description of type and location:

Waynesville, Georgia: T33 next to a VA Hall (I think)

Augusta, Georgia: Beech 18 on a pylon next to a go-cart/amusement park. (I also seem to remember a DC-2 Pullman version in Augusta somewhere)

Waynesville, North Carolina: A Huey on a concrete pad for a Vietnam Vets group.

Savannah, Georgia: B-47 next to the Interstate advertising the "Mighty Eighth" museum.

I know there's others around. How about posting ones that you've seen?

Willy

PS: There didn't seem to be any markers on the top of Currahee. Just a bunch of radio/cell phone towers and a cinder-block building or two. You'd think they would put something up there.

DxyFlyr
08-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Wow, there must be a gazillion VFW halls with some sort of military hardware on the front lawn. I can think of several on my most common road trip between Jackson, Miss and Central, La. I think the most common item I've noticed is the Huey.

I did notice an honest to goodness Sherman tank at one VFW in Florence, MS (I think it was) the other day.

On a side note... I noticed on the site you posted that much of Camp Toccoa is now private property. That's kind of refreshing to see, as much of the land used by the Govt. for maneauvers in Louisiana is still Federal Land... National forests. As boy scouts, we used to camp out there. We dug up all kinds of fun ordinance in those woods. And I've still got all my fingers!

VonKlugermon
08-01-2005, 01:36 PM
I remember years ago in Vero Beach, Florida, there was a playground next door to the old "Breakers" hotel that had the cockpit of some old jet fighter (I think it was partially filled with concrete) to play in/on/around. I doubt it's still there, to much liability! One of the more unusual locations for aircraft I've seen!

Willy

Dash_C.
08-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by VonKlugermon:
Oh, on another note: During this journey (Florida to North Carolina and back), we drove past several "roadside" aircraft. I think a lot of people call them "gate guards" and I hadn't seen to many around, so it was interesting. I didn't get any pics of the planes (wife wouldn't let me stop) but here's a brief description of type and location:

Waynesville, Georgia: T33 next to a VA Hall (I think)

Augusta, Georgia: Beech 18 on a pylon next to a go-cart/amusement park. (I also seem to remember a DC-2 Pullman version in Augusta somewhere)

Waynesville, North Carolina: A Huey on a concrete pad for a Vietnam Vets group.

Savannah, Georgia: B-47 next to the Interstate advertising the "Mighty Eighth" museum.

I know there's others around. How about posting ones that you've seen?

Willy

Polk City, FL: A C-47 with its tail in the air next to I-4. It advertises the "Fantasy of Flight" Museum. If you're ever around Orlando be sure to check this place out.

RAF74_Poker
08-01-2005, 03:36 PM
F-86, IIRC, on a pylon outside VFW in Sherman, TX, next to US-75

vocatx
08-01-2005, 05:36 PM
There used to be (I think it's still there) a B-25J at the front gate to Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, Texas. Next time we're there, I'll try to get a pic and post it.

WarWolfe_1
08-01-2005, 05:39 PM
That hill made some very Great Men from Boys.