PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the good qualities from the orginal AC (first demo)

DavisP92
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM
First AC Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUlSWpjmHf4&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsear ch_query%3DAssassin%2527s%2Bcreed%2Bfirst%2Bdemo%2 6oq%3DAssassin%2527s%2Bcreed%2Bfirst%2Bdemo%26aq%3 Df%26aqi%3D%26aql%3D%26gs_sm%3De%26gs_upl%3D606l60 62l0l6517l27l27l0l16l16l1l280l1930l1.4.5l10l0&has_verified=1)

Watch the demo and say what you liked and disliked from it. Notice that there are things that aren't in ACR now or just were added into it.

And notice the difficulty haha

UrDeviant1
12-07-2011, 06:50 PM
I played a bit of AC1 today and realized how annoying the climbing is in it, like i couldn't even be bothered to climb view points cause it took so long. The combat is also harder/frustrating but don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome game.

DavisP92
12-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by UrDeviant1:
I played a bit of AC1 today and realized how annoying the climbing is in it, like i couldn't even be bothered to climb view points cause it took so long. The combat is also harder/frustrating but don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome game.

lol did u look at the demo, it's not the AC1 that was we all know. It's better imo

ACSineQuaNon
12-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I agree. 2-3 hits, and we should die. Escaping should also be more difficult, especially after major assassinations.

Agentbarto
12-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I say bring back freerunning maneuvers; anyone remember vaulting?! And add some newer ones.

DavisP92
12-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Yea 2-3 hits sounds reasonable. If u notice, a bunch of guards chased Altair the entire way and he was trying to escape the city not just the area. And they closed the gate to stop Altair.

Also the civilians tried to stop Altair, there was a parkour vault that has still not been in any of the games. And cutting the wood thing isn't in any of the games yet, kinda have it in ACR. But not on that level. Oh and they had horses ride into cities, which was added just in ACB.

Edit: also there is a sword sheath in the demo while there hasn't been one in any after AC1

OnizukaSensei
12-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Pdavis3:
Yea 2-3 hits sounds reasonable. If u notice, a bunch of guards chased Altair the entire way and he was trying to escape the city not just the area. And they closed the gate to stop Altair.

Also the civilians tried to stop Altair, there was a parkour vault that has still not been in any of the games. And cutting the wood thing isn't in any of the games yet, kinda have it in ACR. But not on that level. Oh and they had horses ride into cities, which was added just in ACB.

Edit: also there is a sword sheath in the demo while there hasn't been one in in any of the games yet.

In AC1, the sword's scabbard is present; they took that out in AC2 and beyond.

I can understand why they took it out: it'd be somewhat of a nightmare attempting to make a sheath in which all of the swords were able to fit in, let alone be able to plausibly switch out (in terms of programming) BOTH the sheath and the sword at the same time, especially if you just happen to pick up a sword when you didn't have one equipped.

However, I did like that the scabbard was present in AC1, and the fact that the weapons actually didn't clip through Altair's sheath, like they do in Ezio's in AC:B and beyond.

It's one of those small details that always gets to me.

You can see the scabbard in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...Xuhls&feature=relmfu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVD44uXuhls&feature=relmfu)

I personally prefer AC1's combat system: it was quite balanced to me, and is one of the visually stronger of the following sequels.

DavisP92
12-07-2011, 09:12 PM
oops i forgot AC1 had it. but yea they should bring it back, and i don't even remember when i last picked up a random sword and kept it.

OnizukaSensei
12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
oops i forgot AC1 had it. but yea they should bring it back, and i don't even remember when i last picked up a random sword and kept it.

It was probably those occasions that the programming for the scabbard didn't accomodate for in the sequels.

A good reason why it was only in AC1 was that in each memory block, Altair was to only have a specific sword; making it easy to just have a scabbard on the sheath, and simply adjusting it when a new sword was used. (From the common sword, to the Assassin's Sword, to the Syrian sword.)

DavisP92
12-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Frozenphoenix02:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pdavis3:

It was probably those occasions that the programming for the scabbard didn't accomodate for in the sequels.

A good reason why it was only in AC1 was that in each memory block, Altair was to only have a specific sword; making it easy to just have a scabbard on the sheath, and simply adjusting it when a new sword was used. (From the common sword, to the Assassin's Sword, to the Syrian sword.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you have a point, but then that somewhat connects to what i think about how AC shouldn't really have the assassin carry weapons around. Ezio pretty much is the only guy dressed like that, which should be like a huge glowing sign saying I'm the assassin come kill me.

I'd like to see AC3 or 4 where the assassin doesn't carry anyweapons besides the ones he or she can hide.

OnizukaSensei
12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frozenphoenix02:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pdavis3:

A good reason why it was only in AC1 was that in each memory block, Altair was to only have a specific sword; making it easy to just have a scabbard on the sheath, and simply adjusting it when a new sword was used. (From the common sword, to the Assassin's Sword, to the Syrian sword.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you have a point, but then that somewhat connects to what i think about how AC shouldn't really have the assassin carry weapons around. Ezio pretty much is the only guy dressed like that, which should be like a huge glowing sign saying I'm the assassin come kill me.

I'd like to see AC3 or 4 where the assassin doesn't carry anyweapons besides the ones he or she can hide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I liked the simplicity of Altair's outfit, but I didn't exactly like the model they replaced him with in AC:R - the dirty white just doesn't match the original color, and there are numerous clipping issues that simply didn't occur with the original, not to mention a lower res texture detail, in comparison to the original.

But reining it back in, Ezio DID have the tendency to look like a full-blown soldier, with all that armor and weapons/gadgets. I tried my best to minimalize the equipment he carried to increase immersion, like only a sword, no armor, that sort of thing.

GunnarGunderson
12-07-2011, 10:27 PM
The crowds in AC1 were a lot better. AC2 and onward it was just groups of 6 or so people walking in circles

LightRey
12-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by BradKinn:
The crowds in AC1 were a lot better. AC2 and onward it was just groups of 6 or so people walking in circles
Which is actually how crowds usually move.

UrDeviant1
12-08-2011, 07:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UrDeviant1:

lol did u look at the demo, it's not the AC1 that was we all know. It's better imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

xD I only checked out the minuet. I'll look again

DavisP92
12-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Yeah, I liked the simplicity of Altair's outfit, but I didn't exactly like the model they replaced him with in AC:R - the dirty white just doesn't match the original color, and there are numerous clipping issues that simply didn't occur with the original, not to mention a lower res texture detail, in comparison to the original.

But reining it back in, Ezio DID have the tendency to look like a full-blown soldier, with all that armor and weapons/gadgets. I tried my best to minimalize the equipment he carried to increase immersion, like only a sword, no armor, that sort of thing.

Yea Altair's ropes always did look good to me, i liked how his ropes was the ropes of all assassins too. I know that when i go play AC1 and look at the graphics it has a completely different feel then AC2-ACR.

Yes he did, and has since AC2 i believe. I know after i got all the outfits i just go back to the very first one because that one looks more simple and realistic for blending. Also they did a better job with the starting color for the outfit this time, i don't remember anyone in AC2 and ACB that wore white so it didn't really match however you could change ur colors so that isn't a big deal. And when i play i walk around without a sword. just a dagger (idk how to get rid of it hah)

@LightRey, not every crowd walks in groups of six tho. Go to italy, Venice, NY and any place like those and it's just a giant group of ppl. Not everyone knows or is suppose to know each other. So there should be some groups in AC but a large majority, to me, should just be walking around rather walking in groups.

Xanatos2007
12-08-2011, 07:41 AM
I do miss that "raw", organic feeling that original demo had, plus the added difficulty in escapes, fights and stealth. AC2 and onwards made an Assassin's job seem way too easy. And I still maintain that AC1 has by far the best plot and that Altair is still the only true Assassin of the series (right up until ACR at least).

blazefp
12-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Damn why didn't they make AC1 like the demo? That has feature we've only seen in ACR such as the barricades. Why did Ubi left this things out?

luckyto
12-08-2011, 07:56 AM
I played a bit of AC1 today and realized how annoying the climbing is in it, like i couldn't even be bothered to climb view points cause it took so long.

You mean, climbing takes time... like actually climbing.

AC1 is not a game that is meant to rushed through. Slow down, enjoy it. When you climb hundreds of feet in the air, plotting each hand placement, seeing the top slowly draw near.... and then getting to the top and glancing down, only to get that momentary gut feeling of "Oh sh-t, I'm high" as you see all around you. That's awesome. After 100s of hours of playing, it is still enjoyable.

AC1 is not designed to have you rush from objective to objective to reach 100% sync. It's meant for players to stop and take in the world the designers created, to explore, to lose yourself in.

And yes, Combat actually takes skill. But it is not hard. Play for a bit longer, you'll pick it up again, and find it is a lot more fun than its sequels.

On this, I dissent. Crowds have gotten increasingly more complex from one sequel to the next. ACR has an incredible population, which rivals even Brotherhood's which was a high mark in itself. Brotherhood's often lacked large numbers, but Revelations manages to pack a lot of people into spaces. It really works.

But, there were more guards. 6-man patrols. If that's what you meant, then yeah, I do miss it.

LightRey
12-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by blazefp:
Damn why didn't they make AC1 like the demo? That has feature we've only seen in ACR such as the barricades. Why did Ubi left this things out?
Either interfered with keeping the game balanced or they were unable to get it working properly.

UrDeviant1
12-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I'd like to see more challenging combat make a return, like a couple of blows to the head and you're dead. Maybe If they removed the New Armour=More Health system it could be done.

luckyto
12-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Actually, running for your life is pretty frikkin awesome. I remember when I got AC2. I played for weeks and months on end. That was basically the only thing I played. After beating it three times over and exploring every nook and cranny, I finally decided to pick up the original again.

Restarted Sequence 5. Headed straight to Damascus and went back to the rich district to pick a fight. First brawl I got into, I got my butt handed to me. The animus is popping and glitching because I'm about to die, my ego was shattered, and I bolted and ran... those guards chased me halfway across the city before I actually got into rooftop garden. My heart was pumping, and I had this wild grin on my face. It was a blast. AC1 remains my favorite to this day.

blazefp
12-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
Either interfered with keeping the game balanced or they were unable to get it working properly.

Ohh I just feel they could have done it better if they waited a bit more http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

UrDeviant1
12-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by luckyto:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UrDeviant1:
I played a bit of AC1 today and realized how annoying the climbing is in it, like i couldn't even be bothered to climb view points cause it took so long.

You mean, climbing takes time... like actually climbing.

AC1 is not a game that is meant to rushed through. Slow down, enjoy it. When you climb hundreds of feet in the air, plotting each hand placement, seeing the top slowly draw near.... and then getting to the top and glancing down, only to get that momentary gut feeling of "Oh sh-t, I'm high" as you see all around you. That's awesome. After 100s of hours of playing, it is still enjoyable.

AC1 is not designed to have you rush from objective to objective to reach 100% sync. It's meant for players to stop and take in the world the designers created, to explore, to lose yourself in.

And yes, Combat actually takes skill. But it is not hard. Play for a bit longer, you'll pick it up again, and find it is a lot more fun than its sequels.
No, I realized that after playing it's sequels the climbing had no fluidity to It, which made it frustrating at times and took too long. There's only so many times i can scale a building and be like "wow this is taking long but i don't care, i'm climbing a big asss monument and wow, look at all this stuff around me". From AC2 onward it's nice to be able to choose how long it takes for me to climb and how I'm going to approach it, In AC1 there was often only one way in which to do so, i guess that's what i'm getting at.

Combat was pretty much one dimensional and once you got the timing of the counter kill down, it takes no skill at all if i'm being honest. I'm not bashing AC1 i'm just trying to get across why the sequels accomplish these things to a better standard which makes them more enjoyable for me.

DavisP92
12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
I'd like to see more challenging combat make a return, like a couple of blows to the head and you're dead. Maybe If they removed the New Armour=More Health system it could be done.

well if instead of amror=more health i was more protection (but not a lot more), then it could work. Because it would provide the option to take off armor and make the game even harder haha.

@LightRey, it could have interfered but either way it looked better then what they did for AC1 (imo). And seeing how they took out stuff and brought it back later for ACB, acting like it's a big deal it could have worked. Lol they acted like it was so special that horses can get into cities when i already saw it in AC1.

But yea the chases, have completely become more of a simple escape now. In the demo instead of just leaving the area, u had to leave the city from what i could tell. And the guards didn't just let the gate stay open, they closed it on you, locking you in. that was sick, that demo is what first made me like AC. I saw that and i was hooked, ever since then i was somewhat dissapointed that all the games, imo have not lived up to how intense that demo looked to me.

PhiIs1618033
12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Combat in the sequels is ridiculously easy. I don't care if it's rather one-dimensional (although there are a million different ways to fight with the Hidden Blade alone), as long as it's balanced. The combat in AC1 was genius and I very much enjoyed it. AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations, no, not really.
Also, how is the combat in the rest not one-dimensional? All Brotherhood and Revelations really require is the ability to counter and then you can just bash the attack-button while pointing your directional stick somewhere. AC2's counters are also overpowered, not to mention they have a very large time-window.
I'd even argue combat is more one-dimensional later into the series than in AC1. Why? Because in AC1, it actually makes a difference whether you use the shortblade, the sword or the hidden blade. They each have a distinct feel to them, something I missed in the sequels. The only difference in AC2 and Brotherhood is that countering is better with the hidden blade.

You know why climbing has very little fluidity in it? BECAUSE CLIMBING ISN'T FLUID! I encourage you to try it out for yourself. Also, the only occassion you have to climb a wall are in Solomon's Temple, in Masyaf to unleash the trap and when you climb a viewpoint tower. If you dislike climbing, then don't do it. There's always a better way to get up to the rooftops around.

UrDeviant1
12-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
Combat in the sequels is ridiculously easy. I don't care if it's rather one-dimensional (although there are a million different ways to fight with the Hidden Blade alone), as long as it's balanced. The combat in AC1 was genius and I very much enjoyed it. AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations, no, not really.
Also, how is the combat in the rest not one-dimensional? All Brotherhood and Revelations really require is the ability to counter and then you can just bash the attack-button while pointing your directional stick somewhere. AC2's counters are also overpowered, not to mention they have a very large time-window.
I'd even argue combat is more one-dimensional later into the series than in AC1. Why? Because in AC1, it actually makes a difference whether you use the shortblade, the sword or the hidden blade. They each have a distinct feel to them, something I missed in the sequels. The only difference in AC2 and Brotherhood is that countering is better with the hidden blade.

You know why climbing has very little fluidity in it? BECAUSE CLIMBING ISN'T FLUID! I encourage you to try it out for yourself. Also, the only occassion you have to climb a wall are in Solomon's Temple, in Masyaf to unleash the trap and when you climb a viewpoint tower. If you dislike climbing, then don't do it. There's always a better way to get up to the rooftops around.

I'm playing a video game, not going out scaling buildings, I don't expect how I personally would climb a building to be recreated In a VIDEO GAME or I'd never reach the top, or take too long to get up (AC1). Why else would the Devs bring In a way to climb the buildings with more fluidity? Because it's just better, that's why.

The combat to me Is rather one dimensional, you just have to stand there and press X at a certain time. Being able to Combo Kill, move rapidly on your feet when in high profile combat, use the hookblade for hook and run and counter steal all give the combat many more layers than in AC1.

LightRey
12-08-2011, 12:07 PM

Just because climbing isn't fluid doesn't mean it shouldn't be fluid in games. Games are supposed to have good gameplay, realism should always come second to that.

DavisP92
12-08-2011, 02:51 PM
if a game was made orginally to be realistic it should stick with that. Their orginal concept to their game to me is better then all their games now. I would give AC revelations and brotherhood up just to play that eight minute demo over and over again. I just wish they didn't take out what made it so sick. Why have a demo so nice and cool, but then send out the game that is worse then the demo. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

LightRey
12-08-2011, 03:01 PM
if a game was made orginally to be realistic it should stick with that. Their orginal concept to their game to me is better then all their games now. I would give AC revelations and brotherhood up just to play that eight minute demo over and over again. I just wish they didn't take out what made it so sick. Why have a demo so nice and cool, but then send out the game that is worse then the demo. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif
The devs themselves said in several interviews that they will always put gameplay before realism. They were never that realistic mind you. Jumping off a 3 story building into a bale of hay causes serious injuries, if not death. They try to be as realistic as possible, but they always make sure the gameplay doesn't suffer for it.

DavisP92
12-08-2011, 04:25 PM
The devs themselves said in several interviews that they will always put gameplay before realism. They were never that realistic mind you. Jumping off a 3 story building into a bale of hay causes serious injuries, if not death. They try to be as realistic as possible, but they always make sure the gameplay doesn't suffer for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well of course, but the gameplay from that demo beats the gameplay from what they had in AC1. Again my opinion lightrey. but from most of the posts on here, my opinion is shared http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. that's good to know tho haha

BK-110
12-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I think the one thing I am most disappointed about being left out in the games after AC1 is the freedom in assassinations and infiltration of areas. It wasn't as pronounced in AC2, but in ACB and ACR it's very obvious at points where you have to follow a certain path through checkpoints in order to get to your target, when there actually are so many possibilities. With the information gathering aspect of AC1 you also found out about possibilities like scaffolding that gives you a path to your destination. In AC2, one of my favorite things to do is to infiltrate the Palazzo Ducale (you can get in by using a small glitch. Oh, how I love small glitches that give you great things that developers apparently didn't want you to have) and take out all guards without being detected. That is actually quite difficult and there are many ways to approach it.

I also liked the amount of health which actually requires you to watch out. Thankfully removing armor in later games gives you a somewhat similar level of vulnerability, especially in ACR against Janissaries, Brutes and Seekers.

LightRey
12-08-2011, 04:47 PM
well of course, but the gameplay from that demo beats the gameplay from what they had in AC1. Again my opinion lightrey. but from most of the posts on here, my opinion is shared http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. that's good to know tho haha
Well I don't think that's really the case. The devs would not randomly decide to take out better gameplay. For some reason they either couldn't get it work or found it to get in the way of the rest of the game mechanics. Either that or it was generally accepted that the gameplay they left out wasn't so great after all.

DavisP92
12-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Well I don't think that's really the case. The devs would not randomly decide to take out better gameplay. For some reason they either couldn't get it work or found it to get in the way of the rest of the game mechanics. Either that or it was generally accepted that the gameplay they left out wasn't so great after all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that's not true because they added it just now, and made it seem so great (refering to the horses in the city thing). And the scaffold thing was already and better in AC1 demo and they just added it in ACR. So it was great enough for them to bring back (i don't know what emoticon works for a confused look haha).

I can see if they couldn't get it to work but it looked fine in what they showed. And i don't see how any of that would get in the way of the rest of the gameplay mechanics. It would be a lot easier if they just addressed this themselves and said why they took it out

LightRey
12-08-2011, 05:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
Well I don't think that's really the case. The devs would not randomly decide to take out better gameplay. For some reason they either couldn't get it work or found it to get in the way of the rest of the game mechanics. Either that or it was generally accepted that the gameplay they left out wasn't so great after all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that's not true because they added it just now, and made it seem so great (refering to the horses in the city thing). And the scaffold thing was already and better in AC1 demo and they just added it in ACR. So it was great enough for them to bring back (i don't know what emoticon works for a confused look haha).

I can see if they couldn't get it to work but it looked fine in what they showed. And i don't see how any of that would get in the way of the rest of the gameplay mechanics. It would be a lot easier if they just addressed this themselves and said why they took it out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It could've messed up the balance of the game. Things like getting horses inside cities sound like things that could get players into places where they're not supposed to be able to go, which can cause a huge number of issues. Let's not forget that a demo is planned out to work and be played in a certain way. Since AC is largely an open world game adding gameplay elements can carry quite huge risks.

DavisP92
12-08-2011, 05:41 PM
It could've messed up the balance of the game. Things like getting horses inside cities sound like things that could get players into places where they're not supposed to be able to go, which can cause a huge number of issues. Let's not forget that a demo is planned out to work and be played in a certain way. Since AC is largely an open world game adding gameplay elements can carry quite huge risks.

hmmm... makes sense, but that still wouldn't explain the reason for changing the difficulty so drastically. Or why they took that parkour move out, or why the civilians didn't try to stop the assassin or the physics or why they didn't want the assassin to escape the city anymore and the gate closing and locking them in. Ohh and i think i like that eagle vision more then the one now.

LightRey
12-08-2011, 06:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

hmmm... makes sense, but that still wouldn't explain the reason for changing the difficulty so drastically. Or why they took that parkour move out, or why the civilians didn't try to stop the assassin or the physics or why they didn't want the assassin to escape the city anymore and the gate closing and locking them in. Ohh and i think i like that eagle vision more then the one now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well I'm not going to try and think of a reason for anything. I trust the devs had good reasons to take them out.

Agentbarto
12-08-2011, 06:18 PM
One thing I've been wanting back ever since AC II is the camera angle control during conversations. Anyone else with me on this?

DavisP92
12-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Well I'm not going to try and think of a reason for anything. I trust the devs had good reasons to take them out.

I wish i could put that much blind faith into Ubisoft. After seeing the the demo again I have to question Ubisoft, i mean ppl have to. If we don't question them and let them do what they want they could end up turning AC into another POP (2008) although i kinda liked it. It didn't do that well with the large majority of POP fans (i heard).

Il_Divo
12-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by luckyto:
Actually, running for your life is pretty frikkin awesome. I remember when I got AC2. I played for weeks and months on end. That was basically the only thing I played. After beating it three times over and exploring every nook and cranny, I finally decided to pick up the original again.

As a good friend of mine told me: "Assassin's creed managed to make running away from people totally bad-***". I never realized how true that is.

OnizukaSensei
12-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Agentbarto:
One thing I've been wanting back ever since AC II is the camera angle control during conversations. Anyone else with me on this?

If you thought you could control your camera in ACII, play ACI.

Restarted Sequence 5. Headed straight to Damascus and went back to the rich district to pick a fight. First brawl I got into, I got my butt handed to me. The animus is popping and glitching because I'm about to die, my ego was shattered, and I bolted and ran... those guards chased me halfway across the city before I actually got into rooftop garden. My heart was pumping, and I had this wild grin on my face. It was a blast. AC1 remains my favorite to this day.

I personally think the health system in AC1 played a part in this: the "synchronization" regenerated at a set rate, and while that meant that you never had to go heal yourself or rely on medicine, that also meant that you where pretty much at the whim of the health bar, since you had no control over it. It's definitely a change when you are able to use medicine and heal yourself up to full every time your health goes down a notch in games past AC1, making it easy; AC:R has remedied a lot of this, although I definitely still prefer the regenerating health system.

Animuses
12-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I understand how people don't think AC2's combat was balanced. Each archetype has their strengths and weaknesses and it was your job to exploit their weakness or make it tough for yourself and go head on with their strengths. Countering with the hidden blade was the hardest in AC2 since it had the exact same timing from AC1, but the guards' attacks were unpredictable.

If you want to make it easy for yourself and throw a smoke bomb, then do so that's your decision. It's like throwing knives in AC1; it gets you out of trouble.

DavisP92
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Medicine is something i know look at as a crutch and I would prefer that it would be removed.

AC1's chases have always been the best in the series; I do not know what happened to change that but if they could bring it back it would like that. Idk if it's just me but when looking at the demo I only remembered a few guards around the target but when Altair got the gate there were 15 or so guards there. That's something I'd like to see in the new AC, when you kill a important target or anyone really and there are a lot of witnesses they should go get more guards.

Also I liked the vigilantes in AC1 but there should be some that are against you. Like how some of the civilians tried stopping Altair in the demo.

Animuses
12-08-2011, 08:07 PM
The chases in AC1 get tedious after a while. Realistically, the guards won't know exactly where you went after you totally lost them. The chases in AC2 beat the chases in AC1 imo.

DavisP92
12-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Animuses:
The chases in AC1 get tedious after a while. Realistically, the guards won't know exactly where you went after you totally lost them. The chases in AC2 beat the chases in AC1 imo.

i can agree with you after a while they were tedious, but i normally lose them after a few seconds. So it never got too long. Another thing i kinda wish they brought back was the whole search for the target and prepare for it tho. that's another thing that i loved

PhiIs1618033
12-09-2011, 02:30 AM
I disagree on chases being tedious. If anything, it's the chases that are the more fun parts of AC1.
In AC2, escaping is really, really easy. You can just run away far enough so that you're out of sight and then turn a corner. The guards won't come to look around the corner, but just dumbly stand there.
Try pulling that in AC1 and you've got 15 guards coming at ya.

Also, the counter window in AC2 for the hidden blade is much bigger and the guards are predictable as well. Besides, you can just continuously hold RT to prevent everyone from hitting you. In AC1, there was guard break.

As for the climbing, well, I disagree. I don't like Ezio climbing up the building like he's a renaissance spiderman. I prefer my games with a touch more realism.

Also, most you'll have to climb is the cathedral of the Holy Cross and that only takes like 3 minutes.

DavisP92
12-09-2011, 06:59 AM
I disagree on chases being tedious. If anything, it's the chases that are the more fun parts of AC1.
In AC2, escaping is really, really easy. You can just run away far enough so that you're out of sight and then turn a corner. The guards won't come to look around the corner, but just dumbly stand there.
Try pulling that in AC1 and you've got 15 guards coming at ya.

Also, the counter window in AC2 for the hidden blade is much bigger and the guards are predictable as well. Besides, you can just continuously hold RT to prevent everyone from hitting you. In AC1, there was guard break.

As for the climbing, well, I disagree. I don't like Ezio climbing up the building like he's a renaissance spiderman. I prefer my games with a touch more realism.

Also, most you'll have to climb is the cathedral of the Holy Cross and that only takes like 3 minutes.

there seems to be a lot of ppl that want to bring but the feel of AC1, but I have a feeling that Ubisoft might go in the other direction. AC1 has always had a special quality that the other games don't. That's why, even though i love playing AC2 a lot, AC1 is the game i went back to over every AC game out today

creedalien
12-09-2011, 12:40 PM
AC1 is a masterpiece, better than any AC in everything except side missions..

AC1 hud was better, crowd was better,
BOSS assassinations was better, musics was better,
camera was better when characters speaked, especialy the GLICH thing,
AC1 have the most and biggest FREEDOM!! (world map, big cities)
altair was better more acted like a REAL assassin more colder..
good ol al-mualim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
more realistic climbing, there is no TERMINATOR altair or eztio,
Ac1 is a masterpiece...

NewBlade200
12-09-2011, 04:59 PM
I liked the sync bar. As soon as Alt got into the fight it went down like it was saying ''That is not full sync''. It works much better than when ACB/R plain says you didn't get full sync.

Animuses
12-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Also, the counter window in AC2 for the hidden blade is much bigger and the guards are predictable as well.
Countering with the hidden blade has the same timing in both AC1 and AC2.

Also, if you say the guards are predictable then by all means, think that way.

Sarari
12-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Ok here's my opinion. They've made all assassins look like knights rather than assassin ever since AC2. I mean, how the hell is a guy with bulky armor just gonna blend in with a group of six. I mean really. Let's be logical here. I know that Altair had weapons on him, but that's easier to slip away with. I sware to god, I can go on with a whole Harry Potter book about what I feel about AC1 lol, but I'll list a few key things http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

The texture pack in AC1 was a lot better than all of the games texture. AC1 had a more detailed look and if they improved that in every release, this game would have one of the most amazing graphics.

The story writers. They need to get back the old writers from AC1!! In AC2, they rushed the story. ACB, the dialogue was corny and they made Ezio less assassin like. In ACR, they improved the dialogue, but none of the games were better written than AC1. No matter how much better the other games were in everything else, AC1 beats all of them in at least the story writing.

Il_Divo
12-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Sarari:

No matter how much better the other games were in everything else, AC1 beats all of them in at least the story writing.

Agreed,and that's not even to say that the other stories were terrible, but speaks to the extremely high quality of AC1's characters, dialogue, and plot. I'd probaby rank it in my top five or ten game stories that I've ever played.

Sarari
12-09-2011, 08:10 PM
As repetitive as some of the tasks were in AC1, what sets it apart was the dialogue no doubt. In AC2 and AC Brotherhood, you never second guess yourself. You believe that everything you do is good and on the straight and narrow. In AC1, after each assassination, the "victim" lingers in limbo for a while and makes such strong cases about believing in what they're doing, which makes you question your own motives.

NewBlade200
12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Don't forget the cheesy dilemma at the end of ACR. The whole *ACR SPOILER* <span class="ev_code_WHITE">''Give us the magic and we'll give you the girl''</span>*SPOILER END* thing just feels like it was done before.

Sarari
12-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Like I said in many threads, uncountable, the game is not as serious with the conspiracy and the ways of the creed and more to just entertain the people no matter how corny it gets. The game changed completely I have to say ever since AC2. I just provides a whole new different feel. Not saying that it's a bad feeling just not as great as AC1 gave us.

DavisP92
12-09-2011, 10:04 PM
yay more ppl that like AC1 more, i do say that it was kinda odd that the graphics appeared to be a step backwards from AC1 to AC2

OnizukaSensei
12-10-2011, 08:26 AM
yay more ppl that like AC1 more, i do say that it was kinda odd that the graphics appeared to be a step backwards from AC1 to AC2

There's quite a bit of people that liked how AC1 was set up; I started with AC2 like most people, although I tried AC1 one day, and ended up loving it. I understand how people can see it as repetitive, but definitely not how it "sucks" in story. It's probably the most intricate and sophisticated plots in the AC series.

AC1 definitely had a more realistic art style than its successors as well as a higher texture quality, LOD, and animations were well-integrated into each other.

The visuals had to be tared down for AC2 because of the huge amount of content required for it - Italy's cities are VERY colorful, and possess many intricate details, so naturally, the texture detail had to be sacrificed a little bit. While the game was well polished, some details were ignored, such as Ezio's eyes when he pulls out a weapon or when he strikes - it's not easy to see, but it REALLY annoys me when his pupils suddenly just disappear during the animation. Like, when Altair fought, you could hear him grunting, and you could even see his teeth grit. Ezio is quite the silent warrior in AC2, and certainly had more armaments than Altair, yet Altair's gear clattered as he moved in AC1.

The visual quality improved in AC:B: the lighting was improved, as well as the quality of reflective metals, which looked pretty darn good. I'm not a fan of the kill streaks; it virtually made every enemy NPC a pushover. The story came up lacking in depth for the most part, as well - you end up killing people with two-dimensional personalities, unlike its predecessors. Not to discount the game - while it's impressive that they released this in a year, imagine how it would've been if they gave this game a full development cycle.

Same scenario with AC:R. I see many people on the forum think that AC:R was a fantastic game, but there's enough people saying that it came up lacking that the title could be challenged. I think it's safe to say that AC2 is nearly unanimously regarded as the "strongest" of the series. Like, imagine if they took their time with AC:R. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but it feels rushed and it definitely didn't seem polished: objects clip through each other - Check Altair when he jumps: his feet clip through his robes. - animations seem out of place, with lack of smooth transitions. They DID improve the combat somewhat in AC:R, making the enemies stronger and somewhat more resistant to kill streaks. The Jannisaries are more difficult, no doubt, but it's not as fun as it could've been: it's not hard to kill them, but they shoot Ezio a LOT more than they do actually hit him. Plus, the guns interrupt his kill streaks; that's not hard, that's just plain annoying. I feel that the Jannisaries' combat was a lazy workaround for the ease of the kill streaks. I noticed that the art style of the game as taken somewhat of a turn, as well. The graphics are fantastic in AC:R, but they don't have that "realistic" feel as they did in AC1. In fact, it feels very much like a cartoon - look at screenshots of Altair in AC1 versus AC:R.

AC1 (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110511202621/assassinscreed/images/e/eb/BoA_9.png)

AC:R (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111205151236/assassinscreed/images/d/df/Mentor%27s_keeper_5.png)

At any rate, the Altair missions in AC:R are almost definitely rushed - they are glitch-laden. In the first mission, the Templar NPCs sometimes just simply stop fighting and stand there. That could've been fixed early on, and it happens often enough that it should've been detected by what I hope Ubisoft amounts to a bug-testing team. But judging from the plethora of glitches in the game, you could tell it was pretty much rushed out the door - blame the corporate board for that, I trust that the Ubisoft developers didn't try to half-*** it.

Otherwise, I am in full support of bringing a return to some of what made AC1 a classic in many fans eyes.

Sarari
12-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Damn. All that you said is true, and it's what I've been trying to say for so long to people but never actually got the rights words to say it. I also like how you mentioned that they're a lot more cartoony. If you pay attention, the stance that the guards stand in are goofy looking. The guards in AC1 look like they have a well disciplined stance.

OnizukaSensei
12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Damn. All that you said is true, and it's what I've been trying to say for so long to people but never actually got the rights words to say it. I also like how you mentioned that they're a lot more cartoony. If you pay attention, the stance that the guards stand in are goofy looking. The guards in AC1 look like they have a well disciplined stance.

The Crusades were pretty darn dirty, I think they got the feel of combat right for that era; I found it disconcerting that Altair's stances changed in AC:R, and that they simply slapped a skin on Ezio and called it Altair. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Sarari
12-10-2011, 04:31 PM
True. I hated that. I wish they just kept his old moves.

DavisP92
12-10-2011, 10:58 PM
I have to say, from looking at that demo i would have loved to see if they had actually kept all that stuff for AC1, what would ACR be like now?

OnizukaSensei
12-11-2011, 06:54 AM
I have to say, from looking at that demo i would have loved to see if they had actually kept all that stuff for AC1, what would ACR be like now?

Sadly, a game where critics would be crying because the games are "too repetitive" and the combat is "too easy" or "too hard."

Yeah, I've seen the reviews.

DavisP92
12-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Sadly, a game where critics would be crying because the games are "too repetitive" and the combat is "too easy" or "too hard."

Yeah, I've seen the reviews. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but who cares what the critic say, AC sold 8 million i think even with those reveiws. If it's too hard then they shouldn't like dark souls which the critics do. If it's to repetitive, just add more things to do, and if the old demo wouldn't be too easy. That's AC now, (well AC2-ACB, and imo ACR is still easy) It wouldn't be easy if they took out the medicine or changed it so that instead of being a fast heal instead it healed the assassin over time

Sarari
12-11-2011, 08:41 AM
I hate those stupid critics. That's the reason a lot of people hated AC1, because of what the critics said. I bet when people bought it they never even noticed that it was repetitive, until they heard those reviews.

Or maybe the fans started to think that after they played AC2, which made AC1 look like crap to some people. AC1 was perfect in every way possible. They might have improved a few things but had many more dis-improvements. It's a shame how Ubisoft gave in to the bad criticism. The series could have been as popular has CoD if they just stuck with the same writers and engine.

Il_Divo
12-11-2011, 09:27 AM
I hate those stupid critics. That's the reason a lot of people hated AC1, because of what the critics said. I bet when people bought it they never even noticed that it was repetitive, until they heard those reviews.

It's not really that difficult to notice. Sure, reviews may have influenced a few opinions, but when the missions follow the pattern of: Al Mualim-->Ride Horse to City-->Investigate 2-3 leads-->Visit Assassin Bureau-->Kill Target. x9 Targets

With absolutely no variation, it's going to give way to criticisms of repetition. The strength of AC1 at the time was in its novelty as a concept and the refreshing aspect of free-running. I agree that the story, setting, and dialogue were extremely well done, beyond normal gaming standards even, but the combat and investigation missions were subpar and needed to be reworked.

DavisP92
12-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Il_Divo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sarari:

It's not really that difficult to notice. Sure, reviews may have influenced a few opinions, but when the missions follow the pattern of: Al Mualim-->Ride Horse to City-->Investigate 2-3 leads-->Visit Assassin Bureau-->Kill Target. x9 Targets

With absolutely no variation, it's going to give way to criticisms of repetition. The strength of AC1 at the time was in its novelty as a concept and the refreshing aspect of free-running. I agree that the story, setting, and dialogue were extremely well done, beyond normal gaming standards even, but the combat and investigation missions were subpar and needed to be reworked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can admit the investigation mission were repeatitive. But they could have been reworked, or just they could have added a lot more ways to search for the target. But as for combat, i don't think it needed to be reworked. All they did is add different animations and attacks, but they changed a lot of the game. And not all for the better. The whole find -> kill -> escape idea was fun, and they just left that idea completely.

BK-110
12-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I really do think they should've kept investigations. In the games after AC1, all investigation is already done for you. They should have reworked them a little and put them in again.

As for combat, I actually would mind if they had simply reworked the old system a bit. They should have made guards more aggressive and perhaps some how forced the player to take the offensive more. Really, the game is so much more fun if you don't constantly wait for opportunities to counter.

As for assassinations and infiltrations, they shouldn't have made all that stuff with predefined pathways and checkpoints. They should've left the possibilities open and given hints to different paths through investigation like in AC1.

DavisP92
12-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by BK-110:
I really do think they should've kept investigations. In the games after AC1, all investigation is already done for you. They should have reworked them a little and put them in again.

As for combat, I actually would mind if they had simply reworked the old system a bit. They should have made guards more aggressive and perhaps some how forced the player to take the offensive more. Really, the game is so much more fun if you don't constantly wait for opportunities to counter.

As for assassinations and infiltrations, they shouldn't have made all that stuff with predefined pathways and checkpoints. They should've left the possibilities open and given hints to different paths through investigation like in AC1.

agree with you, i like how i few ppl i know that played AC1 like crazy didn't even know that the investigation missions actually give u maps and stuff of how to get to your target. That would be nice in AC3, u search for the target and there could be like 3 or 4 ways to get to him or her.

Also I liked the whole if u kill the main target in front of everyone then the whole city knows about u and the bell goes off and if any guard sees u they try to kill you. Not the whole "hmmm is that him" thing. But if they do bring that back the game should be able to notice if u kill the target without anyone seeing you.

I've killed the gay templar in i think damascas many times and was able to kill him without any guard even seeing me but when i kill the templar the city knows he's dead. I thought that was kinda lame.

Heartist_of_All
12-11-2011, 12:58 PM
AC1 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Best atmosphere. Best unique Templar's. Felt more like an assassin. Pickpocketing was harder and not just bumping into 10 people and succeeding. So much more.

Sure, the combat was better in AC2 and forward, but the original vibe from the first game died with the first game.

I love all AC's!

I'd still take another Alta´r game.

One thing that's the same though, are animations and NPC grunts when they're beaten up, haha. Fine, really. I just wish they behaved more realistically. Don't just drop your lute and walk off as if nothing happened just because I walked by and barely bumped into you. "I'll just paint this wall... **** it. I'll walk this way now".

DavisP92
12-11-2011, 06:00 PM
yea, seems like a lot of ppl would like to bring back what made AC a classic. hope Ubisoft sees their posts

OnizukaSensei
12-11-2011, 07:51 PM
yea, seems like a lot of ppl would like to bring back what made AC a classic. hope Ubisoft sees their posts

Seeing the huge following of the present AC games and the lack of a majority support of AC1, I highly doubt that it's gonna happen, sadly.

luckyto
12-12-2011, 07:47 AM
There's quite a bit of people that liked how AC1 was set up... It's probably the most intricate and sophisticated plots in the AC series.

Yes. I think so. The main problem with AC1 is the presentation -- the telling of the story. Too many lectures from Al Mualim. Plus, the camera angles aren't terribly interesting. For a cutscene, why not use a well-framed shot? Some of the dialogue is half-heartedly given. Sprinkle a half-dozen cutscenes here and there. tighten the pacing down with a few edits and AC1's presentation would improve dramatically. But if you judge just by story and not the telling of it, then yes, it's one of the best.

And the lack of fast travel. I honestly think that if they had only made you return to Masyaf at the end of each sequence (rather than at the end of each assassination) that it's scores would have improved. Plus, the story pace would improve.

The texture pack in AC1 was a lot better than all of the games texture. AC1 had a more detailed look and if they improved that in every release, this game would have one of the most amazing graphics.

On a more practical level, AC1 pushed current consoles to their brink. AC1 has major issues with locking up and crashing, and it's because the engine maxed out the system. So the change from AC1 to AC2 (less detail, less texture, etc) had to do with addressing the frequent crashes. That said, it's one of the best looking games I own and I'll put up with a random crash here and there for it. But it would have been impossible to improve the graphics from AC1, it was - arguably - too powerful for its own good to begin with.

Like, imagine if they took their time with AC:R. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but it feels rushed and it definitely didn't seem polished: objects clip through each other - Check Altair when he jumps: his feet clip through his robes. - animations seem out of place, with lack of smooth transitions.

Spot on. This is one thing that I completely skipped over when I was doing a review of ACR. The animations have been shortcut and appear glitchy. It's one of the first things I noticed, but I couldn't nail down specific examples (good job!). Yes, it is definitely noticeable. Altair remains the smoothest of this day, and ACR's animations are a low point for the series.

That said, I do think the overall rendering for ACR is a dramatic improvement over ACB and AC2. Up close, the details are pretty remarkable, and the engine tends to handle things at a distance well without noticeable pop-in and pop-out. Shadows usually don't appear as jagged lines everywhere and have softer edges (as they should.) I do think it is an improvement.

Also, you noted the difference between "cartoon" and "realism." From a design perspective, this look has more to do with the color pallete. AC1 did look more realistic, not just because the detail and texture were better; but because they used a more lifelike color pallete which tends to have less contrast and in layman's terms, "more grey." From AC2 on, they've been cranking up the saturation and contrast - which makes things look more "cartoony."

They DID improve the combat somewhat in AC:R, making the enemies stronger and somewhat more resistant to kill streaks. The Jannisaries are more difficult, no doubt, but it's not as fun as it could've been: it's not hard to kill them, but they shoot Ezio a LOT more than they do actually hit him. Plus, the guns interrupt his kill streaks; that's not hard, that's just plain annoying. I feel that the Jannisaries' combat was a lazy workaround for the ease of the kill streaks. I noticed that the art style of the game as taken somewhat of a turn, as well. The graphics are fantastic in AC:R, but they don't have that "realistic" feel as they did in AC1. In fact, it feels very much like a cartoon - look at screenshots of Altair in AC1 versus AC:R.

At any rate, the Altair missions in AC:R are almost definitely rushed - they are glitch-laden. In the first mission, the Templar NPCs sometimes just simply stop fighting and stand there. That could've been fixed early on, and it happens often enough that it should've been detected by what I hope Ubisoft amounts to a bug-testing team. But judging from the plethora of glitches in the game, you could tell it was pretty much rushed out the door - blame the corporate board for that, I trust that the Ubisoft developers didn't try to half-*** it.

Otherwise, I am in full support of bringing a return to some of what made AC1 a classic in many fans eyes.

Amen and Hallelujah.

Sarari
12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
As I said earlier, as long as Ubisoft has the fans where they want them - which they are - they're not gonna change anything. The realisticness of AC1 is one thing I loved so much but for some reason people just wanna be a super hero and do whatever. Not that I have anything against it, I just prefer it myself.

Also, one thing I don't like about the AC games ever since Brotherhood is how they made Ezio seem like the greatest person out there. HE out of everybody in the city renovates it, buys all the shops, and buys the landmarks! I mean come on Ubisoft, Ezio may be Italian, but he's no Jesus.

Though it can come in handy, I don't see how any person in the world can jump off a building and have a parachute pop out of nowhere. I think they gave Ezio to many things that nobody ever in history carried around. The double hidden blade and the gun were cool because it somehow fit AC2, with the codex pages and such.

Dagio12
12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
well, to be fair...it doesnt really come out of nowhere. lol, its in his back pouch and its clear that the parachute he is using is a much smaller and more simple version to what people use today. Based on the fact that this is a video game, i can accept the fact that he can carry a small parachute with a handful of strings in one of his back pouches.. however, i will not accept that he can carry 15 parachutes... lol, which is why i usually only buy 1 or 2 at a time (plus, i dont hardly use them). Its kind of like weapons or armor. I dont really buy a lot of big weapons or armor cause it kinda breaks the immersion for me. However, i love the fact that there are so many choices and many different people will play it many different ways. Thats the beauty of the AC games.. freedom of choice.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by SF2themax:
well, to be fair...it doesnt really come out of nowhere. lol, its in his back pouch and its clear that the parachute he is using is a much smaller and more simple version to what people use today. Based on the fact that this is a video game, i can accept the fact that he can carry a small parachute with a handful of strings in one of his back pouches.. however, i will not accept that he can carry 15 parachutes... lol, which is why i usually only buy 1 or 2 at a time (plus, i dont hardly use them). Its kind of like weapons or armor. I dont really buy a lot of big weapons or armor cause it kinda breaks the immersion for me. However, i love the fact that there are so many choices and many different people will play it many different ways. Thats the beauty of the AC games.. freedom of choice.

Exactly.

I don't buy video games for realism - I try to escape reality in my games & live another life, do things I'd never do & so on.

I don't want it all to be so real. It has to be good gameplay or you may as well make a video game of a housewife washing the dishes, doing the laundry & feeding the dog. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Look at most movies, how real are those?

I had asked this in a thread somewhere, but can someone show me a vid clip of something Great that's in AC1 that AC2-ACR have lost?
I'm curious to know what's preferred if a vid can provide that?

OnizukaSensei
12-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I had asked this in a thread somewhere, but can someone show me a vid clip of something Great that's in AC1 that AC2-ACR have lost?

There are a few in here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exxb9Ys6hn4&feature=related)

Particularly 2:25.

That is just brutal.

Overall, take a look at the visual pallete, and you can't see it here, but his teeth grit up often during counters.

EDIT:
This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POHMuxNa9Po&feature=relmfu) is a perfect look at AC1's combat; you can see a lot of the things they took out here, like a few counters, soldiers writhing on the ground after being "killed", and did anyone notice how when you strike someone's sword in the following AC's, they bleed?

Dagio12
12-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SF2themax:

Exactly.

I don't buy video games for realism - I try to escape reality in my games & live another life, do things I'd never do & so on.

I don't want it all to be so real. It has to be good gameplay or you may as well make a video game of a housewife washing the dishes, doing the laundry & feeding the dog. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm curious to know what's preferred if a vid can provide that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well I like realism in games to an extend. I just think there are some things that I can accept to be stretched to work for a game. I dont really like super unrealistic games, or super scifi games.

There are def some things that are unrealistic to an extend in the AC series, but they still seem to have a realistic place in this universe.. and it works. The locations, the people, the culture, the ideas... etc.

To make a game really work tho, you sometimes need to make certain exceptions and accept them as reality for the games sake. Kind of like the haystacks in AC. you can either justify that they are there in the animus as a simulation, or accept that people like Ezio and Altair can do that and be ok.. but they are there, and it works, because it sure beats the hell out of climbing up and THEN DOWN every viewpoint.. lol

Dieinthedark
12-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Il_Divo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sarari:

With absolutely no variation, it's going to give way to criticisms of repetition. The strength of AC1 at the time was in its novelty as a concept and the refreshing aspect of free-running. I agree that the story, setting, and dialogue were extremely well done, beyond normal gaming standards even, but the combat and investigation missions were subpar and needed to be reworked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true but the first time I played it, I was so engrossed in the story, the mechanics, the combat, the atmosphere, the characters, the conspiracy, the building architecture, the tone, the graphical uniqueness (not overally contrasted, somewhat dull, very time period-esque feeling) that it didn't matter to me at all. It was new, fresh and exciting. I actually didn't notice how repetitive it was until my second playthrough and even then I still didn't really care. It did so much right that it didn't matter to me. The investigations compelled me to do all of them so that i would have as much information as possible about my target, how to strike, where to strike from, how to escape etc... that's part of what made it great. It was, as others have said before, an Assassin simulator. Now AC has turned to a action/adventure game which, to a degree is still good, but AC has lost part of what made it special.

Sadly, as I write this, I wonder if this is what is beginning to happen to SC and GR... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

EDIT: And yes, @ Frozenphoenix02, from the videos I've seen of ACR the Altair sections do appear to be cartoony. It's sad imo, because it seems like Ubi just doesn't really care about Altair as much as Ezio. Part of the gritty, dull colors are what made AC1 convey the tone/vibe that it did.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 05:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frozenphoenix02:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had asked this in a thread somewhere, but can someone show me a vid clip of something Great that's in AC1 that AC2-ACR have lost?

There are a few in here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exxb9Ys6hn4&feature=related)

Particularly 2:25.

That is just brutal.

Overall, take a look at the visual pallete, and you can't see it here, but his teeth grit up often during counters.

EDIT:
This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POHMuxNa9Po&feature=relmfu) is a perfect look at AC1's combat; you can see a lot of the things they took out here, like a few counters, soldiers writhing on the ground after being "killed", and did anyone notice how when you strike someone's sword in the following AC's, they bleed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ok thank you for that clip.

What I notice from it are the groans, the kills are a little bit slower, there's different camera angles & that it's more up close & personal.

ACB & ACR tend to keep the camera angle at farther distance from your opponent. Also it looks like more profuse blood spray.

So it seems a little more organic than polished
?

Oh sorry, I didn't see the edit till just now, I'll watch that now.

OnizukaSensei
12-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Ok thank you for that clip.

What I notice from it are the groans, the kills are a little bit slower, there's different camera angles & that it's more up close & personal.

ACB & ACR tend to keep the camera angle at farther distance from your opponent. Also it looks like more profuse blood spray.

So it seems a little more organic than polished
?

If it seems organic, they've done their job. A polished game isn't identified as 'polished' as much as "does it feel right?" Like, you can tell when a game is awesome vs one that is simply isn't captivating ("polished" if you may.). I'm surprised that they took those out; ACR's aim was to "increase cinematic value", according to Amancio (?), yet these were perfect for that objective.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 05:14 PM
EDIT:
This video is a perfect look at AC1's combat; you can see a lot of the things they took out here, like a few counters, soldiers writhing on the ground after being "killed", and did anyone notice how when you strike someone's sword in the following AC's, they bleed?

K, I'd be very happy with that combat visual in future AC's. It's pretty organic and realistic.
You get more of a sense of life & death with it. (at least I do).

I think it's something w/ the closeups & camera angles w/ the sounds. I'll have to watch some side-by-side kills w/ Ezio & this to get a better handle on what makes this difference.

I do like both - I like the kill streaks, they're beautiful to me... & fun. But they do seem to lose the grittiness of battle some.

DavisP92
12-12-2011, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SF2themax:

Exactly.

I'm curious to know what's preferred if a vid can provide that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i could be wrong here, but i don't think he or she was trying to say what ur saying. In fact as i read it, it was the opposite.

Realistic doesn't mean washing dishes and what not. Normally ppl mean if u get hit by a sword it hurts like hell and somewhat criples you. Not just shrug it off like it was nothing, or if a fall from 20 floors high, it should kill u. And he was talking about having 15 parachutes not being realistic and that is why he only carries 1 or 2. I'd prefer to play as an assassin that can actually die and isn't a immortal god. But that's just me, if u like playing as that then that's cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Everyone likes to play what their own way, and has their own views for the perfect game :P

ohh and yea i'm not really into the kill streaks anymore, it takes the challange away (the last of it) from me.

Dieinthedark
12-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I can without a doubt in my mind say that the sound effects in combat of AC1 are the best of the franchise. The absolute best one is when you counter with the short blade, you stomp on on foot that stab the guy in the head, then you stab him farther and when Altair pulls out his blade it's like it gets stuck and the whole sound effects are just brutal but awesome in a sense. Anyone want to find a video? (since you're posting vids...)

RzaRecta357
12-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Dieinthedark:
I can without a doubt in my mind say that the sound effects in combat of AC1 are the best of the franchise. The absolute best one is when you counter with the short blade, you stomp on on foot that stab the guy in the head, then you stab him farther and when Altair pulls out his blade it's like it gets stuck and the whole sound effects are just brutal but awesome in a sense. Anyone want to find a video? (since you're posting vids...)

Totally agree.

I don't know, something about AC1 just felt more brutal to me. As soon as I played AC2 with that little sparkle at the tip of his sword and stuff I was disappointed. But I got over it.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 05:24 PM

That's exactly why I never bought AC1 or any that came after it.
I also asked my gamer relative & he said it was repetitive, so I stayed away.

I only bought ACB that one day bcuz a different friend of mine online told me to get it since I needed 1 more game to fulfill my free shipping offer... ACB fit the price range I was looking for, so I tried it.

That's when I got less into FPS & more into this sort of thing. So it's changed that for me which I'm happy about, but I still like some carnage.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Dieinthedark
12-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dieinthedark:

Totally agree.

I don't know, something about AC1 just felt more brutal to me. As soon as I played AC2 with that little sparkle at the tip of his sword and stuff I was disappointed. But I got over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exact same feeling but not sure if I got over it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Sarari
12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
If I can say one thing about the animations and the sound affects of the kills in AC1 is that they're absolutely amazing and the best that I've seen so far. The sound of the bones breaking when you break a leg or stick a blade into their skull is perfect, but now you get a flesh ripping sound.

I also heard someone here say that when you hit a guy's sword they bleed. I never understood that!! I hate it when that happens cause it makes no sense at all! It irks me!! Haha I miss the sounds of swords clinging against each other in AC1.

What I'd also like to mention is how gory it used to be and the realisticness of the blood. It was gory, but not over done. The moves you see in ACB and ACR are way to over done and clearly are just there for cinematic view, but they look horrible to me. The blood in the AC games since AC2 looks bad. Just straight up bad. AC1 had the best blood imo.

Btw, how do you do that counter where he breaks the guys leg that was in that video?! I did it only once in my entire life to a guard

DavisP92
12-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Btw, how do you do that counter where he breaks the guys leg that was in that video?! I did it only once in my entire life to a guard

If ur refering to AC1, i normally broke the guards legs when I was the one trying to do a combo kill.

I feel like i'm the only one that wishes the eagle vision was different. I'd like it to be like the demo, the only important person (target) is the only one that is highlighted.

So Ubisoft should bring back AC1's feel, and add more parkour moves, the barricade falling thing and more cities. Co-op too :P

dxsxhxcx

Exactly.

what makes AC1 a great game even with all its flaws IMO is the atmosphere the game has, in AC1 I had the true feeling I was a blade in the crowd, that I was "working in the dark to serve the light", that for the other people I was just someone passing by, even with them being able to see all my weapons, I had the feeling that they wouldn't be aware of my real intentions until the moment I strike, I felt more human, if I did something wrong during one of my missions everything could fall apart...

in ACB I had the feeling I was the town's mayor, the celebrity that everyone knows, the super hero that everyone is expecting to make an appearance and saves the day and that nothing could go wrong during a mission because Ezio Auditore da Firenze was the "synonym of perfection", AC2 didn't have the same atmosphere AC1 had but at least the events in AC2 were convincing, in ACB (IMO) they looked forced, to be frank I wasn't expecting much of ACR but some moments with Suleiman and the sequences in Cappadocia were really cool and brought back some of the feelings that AC1's atmosphere was able to provide, [SPOILERS] like when Ezio was speaking with Suleiman and Ahmet appears but Suleiman doesn't tell him Ezio's real name, it's something small I know, but in that moment I felt I was part of something, I was in the middle of a political situation and my actions could change everything, I was the key element of what was about to happen and in those few seconds during the cutscene I felt like if no one there (besides Suleiman) knew who I was, I could be anyone and they would never realize my true intentions until was too late...

OnizukaSensei
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">EDIT:
This video is a perfect look at AC1's combat; you can see a lot of the things they took out here, like a few counters, soldiers writhing on the ground after being "killed", and did anyone notice how when you strike someone's sword in the following AC's, they bleed?

K, I'd be very happy with that combat visual in future AC's. It's pretty organic and realistic.
You get more of a sense of life & death with it. (at least I do).

I think it's something w/ the closeups & camera angles w/ the sounds. I'll have to watch some side-by-side kills w/ Ezio & this to get a better handle on what makes this difference.

I do like both - I like the kill streaks, they're beautiful to me... & fun. But they do seem to lose the grittiness of battle some. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Undoubtedly, they give better flow to the combat aspect of the game. Don't get me wrong, it's an incredibly useful mechanic, and seeing that Ezio is a combat weapons expert by at least the Bonfire of the Vanities, I can imagine him doing the kill streaks, even if they're unrealistic. What bothered me was the fact that Altair was able to do them prior to the AC1 timeline, as well as the superspeed superman climbing. A good aspect of the majority of the Christina missions was that Ezio was unable to do these things on a wide scale in these memories, and it was pretty darn close to a measure of his abilities in the timeline. I wondered why they didn't do that for Altair. Then again, though, I stand by the belief that it was very lazily done.

I must say that I was somewhat annoyed to see that the crenelations on the Masyaf walls were altered, and that an extension was added to the side of the battlements to give access to the higher parts of the walls. It's not a "my-head-is-gonna-blow-up" change, but I'm one of those guys who loves consistency, and I was a little bit bothered by it. The developers should've stayed with the original battlements - hell, it was even inside the intro video - worked with the existing landscape instead of creating things out of nowhere. Inexplicably, these additions to the battlements disappear in AC1, and then reappear immediately after Al Mualim's death. Again, it's not a super problem, but I was annoyed by it.

OnizukaSensei
12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
If I can say one thing about the animations and the sound affects of the kills in AC1 is that they're absolutely amazing and the best that I've seen so far. The sound of the bones breaking when you break a leg or stick a blade into their skull is perfect, but now you get a flesh ripping sound.

I also heard someone here say that when you hit a guy's sword they bleed. I never understood that!! I hate it when that happens cause it makes no sense at all! It irks me!! Haha I miss the sounds of swords clinging against each other in AC1.

What I'd also like to mention is how gory it used to be and the realisticness of the blood. It was gory, but not over done. The moves you see in ACB and ACR are way to over done and clearly are just there for cinematic view, but they look horrible to me. The blood in the AC games since AC2 looks bad. Just straight up bad. AC1 had the best blood imo.

Sarari: I said it!
As for the breaking legs, you need to wait for the guard to wind up for a strong attack, attempt to counter it, and Altair will hit him a few times, and you have a chance to either strike him with your sword or shortblade to finish him off, or break his legs for maximum pain.

Dieinthedark
12-12-2011, 05:53 PM

Oh, ok the one I was talking about is the #1. It should be. Anyway to break the legs you have to counter a strong attack from the enemy. Those are the two stage counters. Meaning just hitting counter and nothing else-they fall to the ground. Counter plus attack button-you kill them skull crusher or stomach slice (short blade or sword) To break legs you counter, then when the enemy is standing there, you hit A, or X is PS3, the legs button. Then you break their legs... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Dagio12
12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

Exactly.

what makes AC1 a great game even with all its flaws IMO is the atmosphere the game has, in AC1 I had the true feeling I was a blade in the crowd, that I was "working in the dark to serve the light", that for the other people I was just someone passing by, even with them being able to see all my weapons, I had the feeling that they wouldn't be aware of my real intentions until the moment I strike, I felt more human, if I did something wrong during one of my missions everything could fall apart...

in ACB I had the feeling I was the town's mayor, the celebrity that everyone knows, the super hero that everyone is expecting to make an appearance and saves the day and that nothing could go wrong during a mission because Ezio Auditore da Firenze was the "synonym of perfection", AC2 didn't have the same atmosphere AC1 had but at least the events in AC2 were convincing, in ACB (IMO) they looked forced, to be frank I wasn't expecting much of ACR but some moments with Suleiman and the sequences in Cappadocia were really cool and brought back some of the feelings that AC1's atmosphere was able to provide, [SPOILERS] like when Ezio was speaking with Suleiman and Ahmet appears but Suleiman doesn't tell him Ezio's real name, it's something small I know, but in that moment I felt I was part of something, I was in the middle of a political situation and my actions could change everything, I was the key element of what was about to happen and in those few seconds during the cutscene I felt like if no one there (besides Suleiman) knew who I was, I could be anyone and they would never realize my true intentions until was too late... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

great way to put it. I agree. Revelations did a really good job at bringing back that feeling you just described.

DavisP92
12-12-2011, 06:25 PM
AC has so much potential, I just can't help and i can't help but thing that Ubisoft isn't living up to it tho. I would have loved to see what ACR would be like if it had everything from that demo in AC1.

Sarari
12-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Thank you Dieninthedark!!!!! I knew that you can do it when they hit strong, but I didn't know that A was another counter move for it!!

Btw, that's something I wish they brought back to the AC games, the really strong hits. They were awesome when you hit a guard with all you might and they just go flying and you hear a huge cut sound LLOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

@Pdavis3 If they just kept everything from AC1 and just improved on it, ACR would have been the bomb. It would be a top seller. When I mean keep everything I also mean the writers, the engines, and less complicity with in the story. AC1 was straight forward with the story, now there's this whole thing about going back to find Altair's keys, then having Desmond in a coma just so we play more of Ezio.

OnizukaSensei
12-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Thank you Dieninthedark!!!!! I knew that you can do it when they hit strong, but I didn't know that A was another counter move for it!!

Btw, that's something I wish they brought back to the AC games, the really strong hits. They were awesome when you hit a guard with all you might and they just go flying and you hear a huge cut sound LLOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

@Pdavis3 If they just kept everything from AC1 and just improved on it, ACR would have been the bomb. It would be a top seller. When I mean keep everything I also mean the writers, the engines, and less complicity with in the story. AC1 was straight forward with the story, now there's this whole thing about going back to find Altair's keys, then having Desmond in a coma just so we play more of Ezio.

The corporate board got greedy, and this is what we get.

Even the developers are complaining that they don't have enough time to flesh out the story as they'd like it to be.

Sarari
12-12-2011, 07:41 PM
It's sad. Why do they have such limited time to make each game but they had plenty of time for AC1?

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 07:41 PM
After seeing more posts & agreeing about lack of story intensity, I went back and edited in a paragraph in my feedback review about the Writing needing work & going back to earlier games with the twists & turns, mystery and drama basically.

I really do think if they invest more in the story, the gameplay won't be as much an issue.

Animuses
12-12-2011, 07:51 PM
They definitely need to put more time into the story. The story feels so unfulfilling in ACB and ACR. But the gameplay needs to go back to its roots. Imo, we need a mixture of the combat from AC1 and AC2. I want to be solo. I don't want a billion Assasins by my side, I want to be my own man, completing my own objectives.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 08:04 PM
They definitely need to put more time into the story. The story feels so unfulfilling in ACB and ACR. But the gameplay needs to go back to it's roots. Imo, we need a mixture of the combat from AC1 and AC2. I want to be solo. I don't want a billion Assasins by my side, I want to be my own man, completing my own objectives.

Great, go solo. If they do recruiting, just recruit 1 or 2 & ignore the rest & then do your own thing. You don't HAVE to use them -
they're pretty much non existant if you don't signal. The only reason you'd need to is if one of the mission syncs' (which is mostly optional) demanded it.

And the reality of AC is that you're an Order or Network - they all work together for the cause - that was even in ACII. I can't speak to AC1 but it looks like they were a large network together.

I don't care if they go back to the AC1 roots in how it looked & sounded . . but I do like the bombs & other stuff.
Again, what you dislike, don't use.

Games have to evolve & change some or else people get sick of them quickly & bark that they aren't doing enough to make the game progressive & new.
I've seen it many times in comments & reviews.

OnizukaSensei
12-12-2011, 08:07 PM
It's sad. Why do they have such limited time to make each game but they had plenty of time for AC1?

AC1 was the start of a brand-new franchise, they literally didn't know what to expect when they got it out the door; first impressions are important in the gaming industry, and Ubisoft had the budgeting for them to pretty much take their time to develop this new franchise, which started off with Assassin's Creed - Four years of development show very well here. Glitches were far and few; and many that exploited the map tended to get you killed, so there were many (presumably unintentional) counter-glitches, seeing as you were instantly killed if you hit a body of water.

AC2 was the successor to AC1; I surmise that the change in setting was due to the reviews that pretty much bashed the character, and the way the game was set up, so the Italian Renaissance was a way to start off fresh and new. The game took about 3 years to develop; the mission structure was scrapped in favor of a more linear one in an attempt to win over critics and draw in new audiences. (Look who started with AC2. I'm one of them; if you asked me at the time, Assassin's Creed sucked.) Luckily, it was a huge success; glitches were far and few, although there were a few major game-breaking glitches, but not many. It was so good that people overlooked the DLC stunt they pulled with players (Battle of Forli, anyone?).

AC:B was the first game in which Patrice Delisets and Jade Raymond didn't participate actively in the game's development, but it turned out quite good: I assume AC:B was the part of AC2 that they couldn't fit in either due to memory space or lack of development time, but it was a good expansion to AC2 that expanded on game mechanics and introduced a few new ones. This one also had a very good level of interactions with the present-day Assassins; probably the best. While it wasn't the best plot-wise, the Multiplayer was a very daring addition, and it payed off. The one-year development cycle turned out to be quite good.

AC:R introduced a whole new development team in charge of the franchise, since Jade Raymond is focused on other Ubisoft projects, and Patrice Delisets at THQ. AC:R was originally a 3DS game - Lost Legacy, but then the corporate board was like "Hey, we should make a full game out of this, and try to make it in a year like we did AC:B; quick cash in!" and this is what the players got. Yes, people say it's good, and there's enough people following it that was a commercial success. BUT, there was also enough people saying that the game was subpar that indicated the weakness of the annual development cycle. You can have 9999 teams working on this game (just check the credits...lol.), but you can't guarantee quality.

The first three titles have daringly made names for themselves within the industry, but AC:R fell short, because they tried to create more with less. The game literally was torn into three directions, with little time dedicated towards the present timeline, Ezio's story - while good - was not as cracked up as it could've been, and Altair's missions were simply a method in which fans of the older games were drawn back into the fold, and to close his story.

I believe Amancio also stated that the Altair missions were 30-40 minutes each? Seeing as the majority of them only take about five minutes, I'm almost certain that he was lying through his teeth.

The ending for AC:R was emotionally satisfying, with the close of Altair's and Ezio's stories, but seriously, the plot in the real world was barely moved.

Of course, AC:R was never intended in the original vision of the franchise, (nor was AC:B, but it moved the plotline forward enough that it fit of it's own accord.) so it's hard to expect the plotline to be shot forward leagues ahead...but then again, the title 'Revelations' implies that you'll get the namesake, but the majority of revelations were either: already known because players deduced the truth themselves, or simply weren't relevant to the plotline as a whole.

Ugh. AC:R had a whole lot of potential, but it simply wasn't tapped because it was rushed out the door. I'm sure the AC team feels this way, too.

As for those who think that this is the penultimate game, the BEST of the best Assassin's Creeds, imagine if they actually took their time with this game.

Sarari
12-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Something people don't understand is that the story is not the problem....for the most part. The writing for the game itself isn't well written. The story is just what is introduced to us which basically AC1. We know that there's an end of the world thing coming. The in-depth content is the problem.

For an example, how they made Desmond go in a coma, and then have Ezio search for the keys, and have this whole other conspiracy about the true meaning of assassin behind it. Really, they could've added that by making another game for Altair and explaining all this. But instead they went off with a whole new thing and added it in to late in the series.

Animuses
12-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Great, go solo. If they do recruiting, just recruit 1 or 2 & ignore the rest & then do your own thing. You don't HAVE to use them -
they're pretty much non existant if you don't signal. The only reason you'd need to is if one of the mission syncs' (which is mostly optional) demanded it.

And the reality of AC is that you're an Order or Network - they all work together for the cause - that was even in ACII. I can't speak to AC1 but it looks like they were a large network together.

I don't care if they go back to the AC1 roots in how it looked & sounded . . but I do like the bombs & other stuff.

Games have to evolve & change some or else people get sick of them quickly & bark that they aren't doing enough to make the game progressive & new.
Attacking my opinions once again? Seriously, it's getting quite annoying. There are many people here who share quite a few opinions with me, why not bother them?

My opinion is that the AC series is dying, live with it.

OnizukaSensei
12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

Attacking my opinions once again? Seriously, it's getting quite annoying. There are many people here who share quite a few opinions with me, why not bother them?

My opinion is that the AC series is dying, live with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep the love, guys? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

Well, the AC franchise definitely lost a star in my book, but I SUPPOSE it has the chance to get it back in the following one.

I still blame it on the higher-ups. Game developers never want to make games halfway...at least, good ones. The deadlines force them to.

Sarari
12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
I agree with Animuses that the series is dying. It's getting less serious. Compare ACR with AC1. You can tell a huge difference between them in the seriousness of the main story.

I'm telling you, Ubi got a bit greedy and decided to make a yearly release for a quicker way to get money.

Animuses
12-12-2011, 08:18 PM
I still blame it on the higher-ups. Game developers never want to make games halfway...at least, good ones. The deadlines force them to. I 100% blame the higher-ups.

Dagio12
12-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Something people don't understand is that the story is not the problem....for the most part. The writing for the game itself isn't well written. The story is just what is introduced to us which basically AC1. We know that there's an end of the world thing coming. The in-depth content is the problem.

For an example, how they made Desmond go in a coma, and then have Ezio search for the keys, and have this whole other conspiracy about the true meaning of assassin behind it. Really, they could've added that by making another game for Altair and explaining all this. But instead they went off with a whole new thing and added it in to late in the series.

not really, the whole purpose was for Ezio to discover the truth behind the Assassin order. For him to discover a purpose behind everything because he wasn't placed into the order conventionally like Altair, he was forced into a life he didn't necessarily want, to take on his fathers work. So this set up helped to give meaning to Ezio's life into the order.

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 08:59 PM

My opinion is that the AC series is dying, live with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not attacking your opinion, you actually came into that feedback thread & went against mine in my review.
You have it the other way around, and if you would READ my posts, you'd see I conceded some issues plus went back to my review & revised it to reflect that, but you seem to want me to 100% Agree with yours, or you're going to get an attitude w/ me for not doing so.

Nobody has to completely agree with you, do they?

If your favorite AC "god" is gone & you do think it's dead, why are you still continuing when he's gone & you believe it can't be what it was??

Anyways, Please don't turn this into something personal, it's not and shouldn't have to be.
THAT would 'annoy' me.

Oh & one last thing, this is the ONLY input I've put into AC, I came in late in the series, so all they've done on AC so far has nothing to do w/ me or my likes of ACB or ACR even.
They've done this without my input all on their own.

DavisP92
12-12-2011, 09:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Animuses:
They definitely need to put more time into the story. The story feels so unfulfilling in ACB and ACR. But the gameplay needs to go back to it's roots. Imo, we need a mixture of the combat from AC1 and AC2. I want to be solo. I don't want a billion Assasins by my side, I want to be my own man, completing my own objectives.

I've seen it many times in comments & reviews. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for the solo part, i would like to see that again. But i doubt they will go back to one assassin. If they do have recruits, the new assassin should be one of them. And only work in a team of 3 (including the assassin). That way instead of having 12 (actually 6, that's all u can call at once) assassins that do the same things really. You could have 2 assassin teammates that have more gameplay and actions to them, one might be a archer so he or she stays on the rooftops more while the other is more for diverstion or straight combat. they could do more with 2 then they could do with 12.

But as for the network thing, AC1 wasn't like that really. Or to be more accurate it was more like u couldn't tell really cuz u were the one killing and fighting on ur own. U had to get close to the target and finish him off, not stand from a rooftop and let other ppl do it or just shoot him. It's not the Hassassin way (from what i read, could be proven wrong tho :P [distance/gun part])

as for the bombs, yea they shouldn't be removed, but they shouldn't be the main focus of the game. But since they have already, and they went hard on combat they should focus now on stealth.

Refering to combat I would rather not have the killstreak thing and have it more of the defensive style that allows you to be aggressive when you want. We shouldn't be flying through guards (they are trained). Dodge should be updated where it's not a dodge that we jump back 2 feet. That'll get you killed in a real sword fight with more then 2 guys. U could just jump right into another guard. Or if ur on a rooftop u could fall off, instead the dodge should be more of a subtle adjustment in the body to avoid the blade.

as for the evolve, yes games do. But they shouldn't evolve that drastically in such a short time while losing what made the orginal great.

(Again these are all my opinion, and ppl may not have the same :P)

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 09:39 PM
or the solo part, i would like to see that again. But i doubt they will go back to one assassin.

If they do that, they really have to amp up the SP and make it a whole lot longer with more story content & lots more missions with alot more variety.

Outside of AC3 being ALL Desmond, I'll probably like whatever they put together if I like the Trilogy they've already done.

I like the vid clips I saw of AC1's fight style which was really kool too.

As far as the Killstreak, I noticed they had toned it down in ACR. If they make more difficult combat, there's maybe less value in having the killstreak since they break it so often.
It would be better to go back to the AC1 fight style I saw in that case.
I always have ACB to play & watch it, but I do love a good dagger stab followed up with him going into a spin as he throws a knife.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

instead the dodge should be more of a subtle adjustment in the body to avoid the blade.
Ya I agree - they could do a Matrix dodge hehe.

as for the bombs, yea they shouldn't be removed, but they shouldn't be the main focus of the game. But since they have already, and they went hard on combat they should focus now on stealth.
They did put focus on bombs - but I also think they focused on stealth too. Moreso than ACB at least. I did alot of that in ACR & I loved it.

DavisP92
12-12-2011, 10:00 PM
@ProdiGurl
Well it's AC3, the SP should be extremely long, they have to start the new assassin and end his story and then continue and finish the Desmond's story including everyone else (Vidic, Rebecca, Shaun, Desmond's family, etc.)

Yea AC had the best gameplay and stealth concept i've seen in the series. You could plan out ur attack which has not been in AC after AC1. You could kill the archers on the rooftops so they would be less when u tried to escape.

I thought it was cool the first time i saw the killstreak but after playing it, i was dissapointed. I don't even like how we attack with the hidden blades, come on they should break if we do that. they should be only for assassinations or counters imo. And the stab with the dagger and throw a knife thing is glitch or was I didn't do it at all in ACR. i used to kill civilians by accident with it.

I'd rather see double and triple counters. And i don't think an assassin should carry weapons really. It's kinda like a big sign saying, "HEY I'M AN ASSASSIN". Instead we should counter/disarm the guards using their weapons against them. like in the trailer.

dxsxhxcx
12-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Ezio only had his assassins when he was the grand master of the order, if this new ancestor start being a master assassin or recruit, he shouldn't have his own assassins until the moment he become the grand master, I wouldn't mind some missions with some assassins helping me, the same way it happened at the beggining of AC1 with Altair, Malik and Malik's brother, but start the new game having the benefits of a grand master even not being a grand master would be lame...

and to be frank, it's about time for Ubisoft to change some aspects of the game, I don't want to play the same story but with a different skin all over again, if I'll never become a grand master and won't have my own assassins during AC3 I wouldn't mind...

luckyto
12-13-2011, 09:29 AM

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Precisely. If you don't have or have played the original Assassin's Creed, you are missing out. It isn't about rushing from place, it is about exploring and epic sword battles and discovery and investigation.

I do recognize that it is not for everyone. It does not move at breakneck pace. There is no fast travel. There are repetitive moments. And cinematics are nill. Despite ALL OF THAT, it is one of the best games I own and have ever owned.

My first Youtube video was a love letter to it, replete with pickpockets, viewpoints, landmarks and some sweet combat --- it's the reason I wanted to do a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ShQnGJZWkpI8otH8nAaz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6uCLLZWAA&context=C2714aADOEgsToPDskKEShQnGJZWkpI8otH8nAaz)

Originally posted by Dieinthedark

Video above: Around the 13:20 mark

One of my favorites. Another top for me is a clean combo with my sword, there is that half second delay when you pop his sword - then knock it out of the way and bury your blade into his head with a crunch, and he crumbles to his knees.

Originally posted by Sararis:

Swordplay actually felt like swordplay.

Originally posted by Frozenphoenix:
As for the breaking legs, you need to wait for the guard to wind up for a strong attack, attempt to counter it, and Altair will hit him a few times, and you have a chance to either strike him with your sword or shortblade to finish him off, or break his legs for maximum pain.

Which gets us to another HUGE point about AC1's combat, the player actually had control. I do not feel like I have control anymore. I feel like I'm spamming the same buttons over and over. With AC1, you could spam buttons or you could take the cheap way out; BUT if you truly mastered the combat then you found yourself in control of how to deal death.... I feel like I am playing. Swordplay feels like swordplay.

Originally posted by Sarari

Btw, that's something I wish they brought back to the AC games, the really strong hits. They were awesome when you hit a guard with all you might and they just go flying and you hear a huge cut sound LLOL

And he took that huge swing, the animation slowed like the blade had weight and he grunted and brought it forward --- it felt powerful. Far more powerful than those guys with the axes.

by Animuses:

I 100% blame the higher-ups.

I blame the higher-ups like 90% and then blame the critics who sap up this stuff the other 10%.

ProdiGurl
12-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I agree with the combat/fighting opinions here & I really like that too.
I remember liking one g part of the ACR Trailer - where they do a short Clip of Altair plunging his hand (or blade) into someone's chest & you could feel the impact of that in the slow mo they did.

yly3
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I still strongly believe AC1 still has the best graphics. They are natural, the light-effects are astonishing, in fact the only thing "old" about it is the rendering of people that is all.
You don't like the dark blue theme in Acre and prefer the more colorful Venice ? Fine, it's your taste but you cannot deny it's brilliantly put.

Today I was playing AC1 again and I was BLOWN AWAY by how the light was being reflected from a window when you moved the camera around. I've never seen that in any post-AC1 games.
Altair's pouches are bouncing to your moves for crying out loud.

AC2-ACR graphics only have better detailed Ezio, but graphics feel plastic, especially that fog in ACR, feels like a photo atached over the camera, everything feels cartoonish. I will admit the atmosphere is finally catching up in ACR but it's still far away from the first game.

Have you noticed AC1 feels more real basically because we are more "zoomed" on Altair ? This way building, everything seem more close to us, like we are there ourselves.

SolidSage
12-13-2011, 10:09 AM
@Animuses & Sarari; "Creed is dying" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif, you guys, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Wait, you're serious? Creed is ABOUT dying, (and how to make people do it). Tell you what, I'll check back with you every few years and see how your prophecy is holding up.
Unless you mean its dying ( http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif) in the loss of artistic integrity way, or loss of quality function way, in which case; http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif you guys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.

DavisP92
12-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Ezio only had his assassins when he was the grand master of the order, if this new ancestor start being a master assassin or recruit, he shouldn't have his own assassins until the moment he become the grand master, I wouldn't mind some missions with some assassins helping me, the same way it happened at the beggining of AC1 with Altair, Malik and Malik's brother, but start the new game having the benefits of a grand master even not being a grand master would be lame...

and to be frank, it's about time for Ubisoft to change some aspects of the game, I don't want to play the same story but with a different skin all over again, if I'll never become a grand master and won't have my own assassins during AC3 I wouldn't mind...

actually if i'm not mistaken, Ezio had recruits when he was only a master Assassin in ACB. He didn't become grand master until the end of it.

Animuses
12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
you actually came into that feedback thread I never even read your review...

but you seem to want me to 100% Agree with yours Not once have I forced my opinions onto you.

Sarari
12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by SolidSage:
@Animuses & Sarari; "Creed is dying" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif, you guys, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Wait, you're serious? Creed is ABOUT dying, (and how to make people do it). Tell you what, I'll check back with you every few years and see how your prophecy is holding up.
Unless you mean its dying ( http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif) in the loss of artistic integrity way, or loss of quality function way, in which case; http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif you guys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif.
You're not funny....at all.

SolidSage
12-13-2011, 02:42 PM
no, but you two are.

ProdiGurl
12-13-2011, 02:51 PM
you actually came into that feedback thread I never even read your review...

but you seem to want me to 100% Agree with yours Not once have I forced my opinions onto you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

K, well I don't want to argue about that stuff - if you didn't read it that's fine, it's just that your response was basically alot of what I said I liked - just a coincidence then.

The reason I said you must want everyone to agree w/ y ou is that I felt you were coming after me personally for my opinions that differed.
You had gone so far to say that it was people like me who are ruining AC.
That's why I said what I said about you not liking disagreement on AC direction.

Either way, I don't hold grudges, I hope we can just work to try to make all us fans happy somehow.
I think we all want the same thing - A GREAT AC3.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

OculusRed
12-13-2011, 03:18 PM

For an example, how they made Desmond go in a coma, and then have Ezio search for the keys, and have this whole other conspiracy about the true meaning of assassin behind it. Really, they could've added that by making another game for Altair and explaining all this. But instead they went off with a whole new thing and added it in to late in the series. But if they'd just made another game for Altair, we would have missed the whole 'different places and historical periods' part of the games. That's one of my favorite parts http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Sarari
12-13-2011, 03:37 PM
They could've had Altair travel to Turkey or to Asia as he actually did. We'd get to know the Chinese culture. That would've been great.

I also heard someone mention about having assassins not have weapons. I mean, they should have weapons, but not make it so obvious. What I think they should take out is the armor and bring back plain but stylish robes, if you know what I mean. Ezio had the bulkiest armor, had a crossbow, and his sword and dagger was just hangin' out there without any sheath to cover it. How in the world is someone like that supposed to blend in with the crowd.

I liked having just plain robes. It looked more assassin like.

DavisP92
12-13-2011, 04:03 PM
They could've had Altair travel to Turkey or to Asia as he actually did. We'd get to know the Chinese culture. That would've been great.

I also heard someone mention about having assassins not have weapons. I mean, they should have weapons, but not make it so obvious. What I think they should take out is the armor and bring back plain but stylish robes, if you know what I mean. Ezio had the bulkiest armor, had a crossbow, and his sword and dagger was just hangin' out there without any sheath to cover it. How in the world is someone like that supposed to blend in with the crowd.

I liked having just plain robes. It looked more assassin like.

that was probably me that said they should take the ability to carry weapons on the assassin unless it can be hidden. And the hidden blades should be under the sleeve not over it. And yes armor is too bulky, i'd like to see AC give the option to wear it but move slower or not but have less protection.

u can't hide a sword last time i checked, so the assassin shouldn't carry any swords. but when he or she gets into a fight they end up using the weapons of the guards as a means to kill (one way of course out of many)

Animuses
12-13-2011, 04:16 PM
You had gone so far to say that it was people like me who are ruining AC. I said "hurting", I wouldn't say the fans are ruining the series, it seems quite ridiculous actually. The feedback from the fans can only do so much.

the assassin shouldn't carry any swords.
Yes they should.

OnizukaSensei
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I said "hurting", I wouldn't say the fans are ruining the series, it seems quite ridiculous actually. The feedback from the fans can only do so much.

Money speaks volumes though... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Sarari
12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I just played AC1 and did the mission where you kill Abu Naqud. Loved it. I like the combat much more than the rest. Mostly because the animations are more BA to me and more violent. Like that move where an enemy goes for a strong hit and then you hit him twice, then kick his leg backwards!! lol I just learned how to do that and it is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVrRYgCkA3I check it out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OculusRed
12-13-2011, 05:16 PM

I liked having just plain robes. It looked more assassin like. I also said TIME PERIODS. I like the idea of Assassin's Creed being a tour through the life of these great Assassin's throughout history. I'm still hoping for a Chinese setting, preferably with a Chinese gutter rat orphan that gets inducted into the brotherhood as an Assassin.

I agree on the matter of armor and weapons though. Ezio, and to some extent Altair too, looked like a walking armory. This was somewhat acceptable in Renaissance Italy, where they had mercenaries crawling out of the woodworks working for the various city states and wealthy families, but really carrying much more than a sword and in that armor was a bit much. Ezio just didn't blend in.

I can't really imagine Assassin's Creed gameplay without swords, so I can't in good conscience advise Ubisoft to get rid of them. However they need to be better hidden and no other weapon should even be visible.

Sarari
12-13-2011, 05:23 PM
They made Ezio look like a knight in ACB and ACR rather than an assassin. Ezio is to out going and broke so many rules of the creed. Not that I'm serious about that kind of stuff but they make him seem like the Renaissance man (A man who has the capability of achieving anything he wants to do and exceeding very high in life). The image I see of Ezio when I think of him is a stuck up super natural hero lol. Only when I think of Revelations and some parts of Brotherhood.

OculusRed
12-13-2011, 05:28 PM
They made Ezio look like a knight in ACB and ACR rather than an assassin. Ezio is to out going and broke so many rules of the creed. Not that I'm serious about that kind of stuff but they make him seem like the Renaissance man (A man who has the capability of achieving anything he wants to do and exceeding very high in life). The image I see of Ezio when I think of him is a stuck up super natural hero lol. Only when I think of Revelations and some parts of Brotherhood. Well, it was the Renaissance http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

I like Ezio, I just think he had too many weapons displayed too prominently and dressed too flamboyantly besides. Then again, most of high class society dressed pretty flamboyantly back then. In a way he fit into his time. Just not the armor and weapons.

Sarari
12-13-2011, 05:58 PM
I mean his attitude. I hate the way they made him since ACB. He bought every store, he renovated Rome himself, etc. I mean, out of all the people in Rome, HE saved it all. Like I said before, they made a Renaissance super man.

OculusRed
12-13-2011, 06:52 PM
I mean his attitude. I hate the way they made him since ACB. He bought every store, he renovated Rome himself, etc. I mean, out of all the people in Rome, HE saved it all. Like I said before, they made a Renaissance super man. That might have been a bit much. I kind of get addicted to real estate gameplay like that so I don't mind. For example, I played the last two Fable games and I couldn't stop until I owned every standing structure, market stall, and wagon (Granted, in that game it was a fantastic way to make lots of money)

It's just part of his character to be very confident. I wasn't terribly bothered by it, personally.

ProdiGurl
12-13-2011, 07:10 PM
I mean his attitude. I hate the way they made him since ACB. He bought every store, he renovated Rome himself, etc. I mean, out of all the people in Rome, HE saved it all. Like I said before, they made a Renaissance super man.

It's times like these that I like to mention that this is a GAME. They have to have some sort of value system going with what you accumulate. They chose city renovation.

This had nothing to with Ezio being a megalomaniac, it was part of using the Assassin Order to take power away from the overbearing, manipulative Templars to liberate the people under their thumbs.

Look at how Ezio gets the recruits, the guards are harassing them...
I view it as Ezio being angry at the Templars wielding their power & control over citizens & wants to tear it all down.
He's very driven & focused.

I'm sure there are different ways to view him but that's how I see it.

That might have been a bit much. I kind of get addicted to real estate gameplay like that so I don't mind. For example, I played the last two Fable games and I couldn't stop until I owned every standing structure, market stall, and wagon (Granted, in that game it was a fantastic way to make lots of money)

I'm the same way - and I love micro managing in strategy games too. It's one aspect I loved in ACB w/ the renovation.

Dagio12
12-13-2011, 07:14 PM
They made Ezio look like a knight in ACB and ACR rather than an assassin. Ezio is to out going and broke so many rules of the creed. Not that I'm serious about that kind of stuff but they make him seem like the Renaissance man (A man who has the capability of achieving anything he wants to do and exceeding very high in life). The image I see of Ezio when I think of him is a stuck up super natural hero lol. Only when I think of Revelations and some parts of Brotherhood.

I think revelations makes Ezio out to be WAY more of an Assassins then brotherhood... not the other way around. He seems to spend way more time gathering and tracking intel.. and most of the assassinations are done very stealthily ( with disguises I might add)..

DavisP92
12-13-2011, 07:23 PM
You had gone so far to say that it was people like me who are ruining AC. I said "hurting", I wouldn't say the fans are ruining the series, it seems quite ridiculous actually. The feedback from the fans can only do so much.

Yes they should. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no they shouldn't because it draws attention. look around the city and see taht there aren't people with swords just hanging on the sides. Of course ur gonna try and say the mercenaries have them, but that's different, because ur not trying to blend with them. So again NO THEY SHOULDN'T. Unless u don't care about the game being more realistic, then if u don't, whatever.

Sarari
12-13-2011, 07:29 PM
True. He has more of an assassin strategy in ACR but I'm also mentioning his speeches and his out going on some missions.

But I do like how in the mission where you chase the boat he tries to shoot the gun powder but accidently shot the guard in the head. I thought that was pretty cool. It was worth a try being stealthy for once lol.

dxsxhxcx
12-13-2011, 07:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Animuses:

Yes they should. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no they shouldn't because it draws attention. look around the city and see taht there aren't people with swords just hanging on the sides. Of course ur gonna try and say the mercenaries have them, but that's different, because ur not trying to blend with them. So again NO THEY SHOULDN'T. Unless u don't care about the game being more realistic, then if u don't, whatever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there isn't kids in the streets but this doesn't mean they don't exist in the AC universe

a solution for the blending problem could be add more people instead of only 4, put 6 or 7 close to each other or make possible for the assassin to blend only with people in movement (what IMO makes more sense)...

Sarari
12-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Assassin's Creed should be realistic but to a certain point. Removing swords would be over doing it.

dxsxhxcx
12-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Assassin's Creed should be realistic but to a certain point. Removing swords would be over doing it.

the sword is the least of our problems, almost all our weapons are visible for others (throwing knifes, CROSSBOW, sword, dagger, and there's also the armor that draws A LOT of attention, the only thing they can't see are the bombs and one of the hidden blades that were below Ezio's cape in AC2/B)

NoirEvil
12-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by yly3:
Have you noticed AC1 feels more real basically because we are more "zoomed" on Altair ? This way building, everything seem more close to us, like we are there ourselves.

Yes, Yes, Yes. That is one of the things they should really thing about bringing back. The closeness of the camera in Ac1 really helped immersion, it made combat feel more intimate and close and chase scenes more hectic and exhilarating.

I also think they should bring back the feature of when you have selected someone or are "focused" on them and are chasing them or following them it should zoom in close to Altair and blur out everything other than the target. This makes you feel like a true focused well disciplined Assassin.
Example (http://rlstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/assassins_creed1.jpg)

Immersion was one of the main reasons I loved AC1 (plus the more serious and atmospheric story, better balanced combat, weapons and the animations) and bringing it back would help gamers appreciate the world alot more. Immersion really helps making a good game a great one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DavisP92
12-13-2011, 09:15 PM

the sword is the least of our problems, almost all our weapons are visible for others (throwing knifes, CROSSBOW, sword, dagger, and there's also the armor that draws A LOT of attention, the only thing they can't see are the bombs and one of the hidden blades that were below Ezio's cape in AC2/B) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this, if the assassin is suppose to blend with the crowd. The entire concept of AC, how can we blend with a crowd yet look nothing like the crowd. Ezio has all the weapons all over his body and a full set of armor while noone else does. The more weapons/armor the assassin wears the more the guards should pay attention to him. Allowing fans to go around with the armor/weapons they want but at a cost.

ProdiGurl
12-14-2011, 03:55 AM

the sword is the least of our problems, almost all our weapons are visible for others (throwing knifes, CROSSBOW, sword, dagger, and there's also the armor that draws A LOT of attention, the only thing they can't see are the bombs and one of the hidden blades that were below Ezio's cape in AC2/B) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes the armor too, I don't see any citizens walking around w/ Greaves, braces & breastplates.

I actually laughed in one scene w/ Sofia where she was mentioning something about him being mysterious - - asking what he does basically & she says 'you're obviously not a scholar' (something to that effect where he answers that he's a 'teacher' of a kind) -
but is she oblivious to his armor & the weapons arsenal he's carrying? lol

But again, this is where I just consider it's a game & ignore stuff.

I believe all the poison is hidden too.

LightRey
12-14-2011, 04:03 AM
Eh, the Byzantines walk around with armor and they're not city guards or anything of the sort. They're just part of some group.

The fact that very few people are walking around with weapons and armor is actually the issue. It was very common for people to do so. There were also people who had bodyguards and the like.

Finally, as I've stated before people generally don't notice such things. People don't notice things they're not looking for, especially if they're paying attention to something else or if they expect to see something different (for example a person calmly standing in a small group while they are expecting to see someone running away or climbing a rooftop). It's called "inattentional blindness".

eagleforlife1
12-14-2011, 04:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:

Yes the armor too, I don't see any citizens walking around w/ Greaves, braces & breastplates.

I actually laughed in one scene w/ Sofia where she was mentioning something about him being mysterious - - asking what he does basically & she says 'you're obviously not a scholar' (something to that effect where he answers that he's a 'teacher' of a kind) -
but is she oblivious to his armor & the weapons arsenal he's carrying? lol

But again, this is where I just consider it's a game & ignore stuff.

I believe all the poison is hidden too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, this made me laugh as well. Sofia is supposed to be intelligent and yet she didn't even notice a big crossbow on Ezio's back http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

eagleforlife1
12-14-2011, 04:06 AM
It's called "inattentive blindness".

It's actually called inattentional blindness http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif.

LightRey
12-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
It's called "inattentive blindness".

It's actually called inattentional blindness http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oops, my mistake. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

*corrects*

ProdiGurl
12-14-2011, 04:30 AM
And Suspension of Disbelief - I think that's very important if you're a gamer.

LightRey
12-14-2011, 04:36 AM
And Suspension of Disbelief - I think that's very important if you're a gamer.
Very true.

DavisP92
12-14-2011, 07:00 AM
however the guards don't always look up at the rooftops, infact they are looking at the streets. LIke when u cause a disturbance and they have the yellow icon on them and start trying to push u over, u can walk into a group and it's like they never saw u. And it is kinda weird that a group standing around talking just lets ezio walk in the middle and not say something or tell him to leave. haha.

As for the Byzatines, they aren't suppose to blend with the crowd. So who cares what they wear and their armor isn't as bulky as what ezio wears. So that doesn't even count.

Il_Divo
12-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Eh, the Byzantines walk around with armor and they're not city guards or anything of the sort. They're just part of some group.

The fact that very few people are walking around with weapons and armor is actually the issue. It was very common for people to do so. There were also people who had bodyguards and the like.

Finally, as I've stated before people generally don't notice such things. People don't notice things they're not looking for, especially if they're paying attention to something else or if they expect to see something different (for example a person calmly standing in a small group while they are expecting to see someone running away or climbing a rooftop). It's called "inattentional blindness".

One of the most hilarious (yet true) examples of inattentive blindness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY

luckyto
12-14-2011, 08:16 AM
"Suspension of disbelief" is a very fine line. Everyone is willing to forgo some inconsistencies, and yet others stick out like a sore thumb. Reams of essays have been written about the original Star Wars and Lucas' "lived-in" Universe. Because he paid so close attention in that first episode to making it feel real, he got away with breaking the laws of Physics and bending belief in other ways. Generally, if characters behave in believable ways in a fantastic world --- it works.

It's hard to describe exactly when a work of art passes an acceptable level, you just know it when it happens.

Altair carrying a sword during a time period when most men carried weapons isn't that hard to fathom. The short blade and array of throwing knives... might be a bit too much. Ezio wearing armor at the height of the Renaissance isn't so far fetched. Throwing a crossbow on his back and giving him 150 pounds of parachutes... well, that's something else. And the armor might have sold itself better if you saw random citizens wearing armor themselves.... which you would have in that time period.

Personally, I give games a lot more freedom than I ever would a movie or a book. If it was too real, I doubt it would be fun. This doesn't really bother me. That said, I do like it look real, and generally, to feel real. Like the visual spectacle that is the original Assassin's Creed or the fantastic crowds of Brotherhood and Revelations.

----
But I do agree he has too damn much... for all kinds of reasons.

ProdiGurl
12-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Pdavis
however the guards don't always look up at the rooftops, infact they are looking at the streets.

Whoever's hiring these guards really needs to get them to an Ophthalmologist, they have severe peripheral vision impairment !

That one area where you first walk into the city in Cappadocia - there's 2 guards right near you and they never notice you.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Altair carrying a sword during a time period when most men carried weapons isn't that hard to fathom. The short blade and array of throwing knives... might be a bit too much. Ezio wearing armor at the height of the Renaissance isn't so far fetched. Throwing a crossbow on his back and giving him 150 pounds of parachutes... well, that's something else. And the armor might have sold itself better if you saw random citizens wearing armor themselves.... which you would have in that time period

Ya but it's very common in Vid games that you're carrying arsenals of things. Either objects you take, what you loot, all sorts of different weaponry to choose from a weapons wheel . .
I have to admit that I'd be bored after awhile if all I had were some blades in the entire AC series becuz they were making it realistic that he couldn't really carry anything else.

So I forgive that stuff when it's for my benefit & convenience

SolidSage
12-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Weeelllll Luckyto, HE only has too much if YOU choose to purchase it.
I'm running my second load with just the Yangtang or whatever the original sword is called and no armour, no projectile capacity upgrades and no crossbow and just the recruits the game forces on me (2 at the minute). It feels pretty AC1 and sells the reality a bit more, other than running across rooftops like a demon on speed of course, but you know, suspension of disbelief and all that.

Dagio12
12-14-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm running my second load with just the Yangtang or whatever the original sword is called and no armour, no projectile capacity upgrades and no crossbow and just the recruits the game forces on me (2 at the minute). It feels pretty AC1 and sells the reality a bit more, other than running across rooftops like a demon on speed of course, but you know, suspension of disbelief and all that.

Yup. That's how I usually rule. I hardly ever buy upgrades or armour. Makes the immersion and realism that much better. But I do appreciate the options, as I know a lot of players like being able to buy stuff.

MeruVila
12-15-2011, 12:34 AM
It┤s a shame barricades didn┤t make it into AC, that would have been so much fun!

1- I miss hunting Templars. It was amazing when I was scaping from assassination only to run into a knight who┤d beat the crap out of me.

2- Planification required; new AC games are awesome but there┤s no longer need to study the environment before the assassination. No more stealth really needed. This is (I think) the product of eliminating the introductive missions.

3- Being wanted right after the assassination; scaping has become so much easier than in the first game, you just step out of the yellow zone, mostly using bombs and stuff. Assassin┤s have become (at least to me) more like a warrior instead of a ninja.

4- There┤s something missing about combat which I have refound on Revelations: guards can actually kick your *** once again since AC1 (notice in ACII and ACB Ezio┤s practically invincible). BUT this thing gets kicked by medicines, so...

5- This may not seem to be this way, but you have your way marked on ACII, ACB and ACR. You may fall from climbing, you may take a turn or whatever, only to find there┤s ONE WAY to go; this didn┤t happen on AC 1: there was a bigger freedom when it comes to making your path, and mostly, killing your target. EX: Go and kill William, you can actually enter the castle/fortress in several diferent ways, though you will only get out (after the killing) using rooftop; but you can still choose your way out. In later games this doesn┤t really happen, even though you think it does! Also, notice there are several moments you can choose to strike (attempt to kill him while he┤s talking to the guards, then when the guards have left, then even a bit later)

ProdiGurl
12-15-2011, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Eleniel:
2- Planification required; new AC games are awesome but there┤s no longer need to study the environment before the assassination. No more stealth really needed. This is (I think) the product of eliminating the introductive missions.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">As I see it, ACR gave more stealth & reason for planning than ACB ever did. Missions were less restrictive & we had more room to improvise.
I think they stepped up the missions, I found myself plotting much more.
</span>

4- There┤s something missing about combat which I have refound on Revelations: guards can actually kick your *** once again since AC1 (notice in ACII and ACB Ezio┤s practically invincible). BUT this thing gets kicked by medicines, so...

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Well it saves you from desyncing & having to reload the game . . but if it's reality you want, it's elective for you to take your meds if you're getting your rear handed to you. Just go ahead & die if you would rather do it that way. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
</span>

luckyto
12-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Of course you can. I've never had a problem with suspension of disbelief in an AC games --- I was just discussing it. Armor in the Renaissance is not so unbelievable anyway, but perhaps you should see other citizens wearing it. Gameplay matters far far more. I still think he has too much, whether you choose not to use it or not. The first time through, I buy everything. The second time through - I turn off all HUD and buy the minimum. No biggie.

BUT - my problem with "too much stuff" is that it takes development resources away from other elements. And frankly, I'd much rather that production time go to melee combat... which has gradually gotten suckier and suckier with each release. But that's kind of a different matter - and why I separated it it out.

My main point which I totally failed to make is that the burden of "suspension of disbelief" falls more on the storyteller, in this case, Ubisoft; rather than the audience.

By Eleniel

1- I miss hunting Templars. It was amazing when I was scaping from assassination only to run into a knight who┤d beat the crap out of me.

Oh heck yeah. And so so much more.

DavisP92
12-15-2011, 09:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleniel:

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">As I see it, ACR gave more stealth & reason for planning than ACB ever did. Missions were less restrictive & we had more room to improvise.
I think they stepped up the missions, I found myself plotting much more.
</span>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Well it saves you from desyncing & having to reload the game . . but if it's reality you want, it's elective for you to take your meds if you're getting your rear handed to you. Just go ahead & die if you would rather do it that way. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
</span>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i could be mistaken but i remember seeing u say that u jumped into ACB first, so i'm not sure if u played AC1 yet. But in terms of stealth, AC1 wins. In terms of Graphics AC1 wins. And in terms of planning out ur attack before getting to the target AC1 wins again. I know the graphics part didn't have anything to do with the discussion :P i just wanted to say it. So yea u could say "ACR gave more stealth & reasons for planning than ACB" but that still means it doesn't do AC1 justice. A game is suppose to improve on the orginal, not forget what the orginal was, then try to bring it back but not as good as the orginal. And I can't really remember any planning in ACR for the main targets. Just do the only way to get to the target and kill them, dare i say there was no planning really, idk. Please remind me.

And in terms of difficult, ACR is better then AC2 and ACB but not better then AC1. ACR could be a challanging game in combat if there wasn't 15 medicines that heal a lot of ur life. If it's there a lot of ppl are going to use it. My friend who wants the game to be more challanging would have loved ACR if medicine wasn't in it or instead it didn't heal automatically but rather a small amount over time. This would also mean there would be a better reason to go to a doctor. Cuz we really don't now

SolidSage
12-15-2011, 10:02 AM
@Luckyto
I know you know, I'm just heckling!

@SF2themax
I'm also restricting medicine, 'during' combat, who can open a vial of liquid and drink it while fighting 4 dudes? It brings back the fear of actually dying, well, desyncing.

Another method I think I am going to employ is no shopping at all, just replenishing stocks by looting. This should impart some more difficulty and need for strategy. We'll see how that pans out.
As it is, in my 'Master Assassin' save, right now, there is no shop purchasing going on or faction building renovations. No Locking Dens either.
Its fun but I keep spending time in the 'Completionist' save trying to get some of those last achievements.

luckyto
12-15-2011, 10:52 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif