PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from IL-2 v1.2 to FB/AEP/PF 4.01m

Ace_Hyflyer
06-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Ok, here's my problem.

I'm playing the Original IL-2 patched up to v1.2 and I'm really lovin it. From reading everything about PF merged with 4.01 I'd like to upgrade.

However, my notebook (3.2 Ghz P4, 1.25 Gig DDR PC2700, 64MB ATI mobility Radeon 9000) can only manage 22-24 average FPS on perfect in IL-2.

The other problem is that I have a huge problem with overheating my machine (especially with IL-2). I believe I have set a record by burning up a brand new video card in less than two weeks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

My question is, how is the FM and playability of 4.01m vs IL-2 v1.2 offline (as I don't get much time to play online)? Also, do you think I would be biting off more than I could chew trying to get it running on my comp (without completely trashing it)?

Thanks all,
Chris

P.S. upgrades are probably at least a year if not two away.

Ace_Hyflyer
06-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Ok, here's my problem.

I'm playing the Original IL-2 patched up to v1.2 and I'm really lovin it. From reading everything about PF merged with 4.01 I'd like to upgrade.

However, my notebook (3.2 Ghz P4, 1.25 Gig DDR PC2700, 64MB ATI mobility Radeon 9000) can only manage 22-24 average FPS on perfect in IL-2.

The other problem is that I have a huge problem with overheating my machine (especially with IL-2). I believe I have set a record by burning up a brand new video card in less than two weeks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

My question is, how is the FM and playability of 4.01m vs IL-2 v1.2 offline (as I don't get much time to play online)? Also, do you think I would be biting off more than I could chew trying to get it running on my comp (without completely trashing it)?

Thanks all,
Chris

P.S. upgrades are probably at least a year if not two away.

FoolTrottel
06-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Hi,

Can't tell you much about the new FM, it's a bit too new ... but it flies/looks/feels okay.

One tip for ya though: Why go for perfect?
There's only a few ppl that can manage that.

Just go for Excellent, or even a bit less and just keep yer notebook running cool..
Once yer up there in cockpit, why would you want 'Perfect Landscape detail'?

Keep object detail and lighting high, and go after them dots!

Have Fun!

Aeronautico
06-15-2005, 02:08 PM
There was not such a thing like perfect setting in original IL-2. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

When FB was out first, it used to run smoother than IL-2 on my laptop.

I run IL-2 and PF on my laptop, which is way worse than yours, and in excellent PF (3.04 though) runs fine enough. Talking about a P4M 1.9, 512 MB DDR, GF 440 Go 64 MB.

I'd go for it, if only for the sake of it.

Ace_Hyflyer
06-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys,

@FoolTrottel. Well, going from lowest to highest graphics in IL-2 actually doesn't seem to change the heat of the notebook (although I'll check when it gets back from repairs.)

@Aeronautico Thanks! When I said perfect, I just meant all the settings at highest. Sounds like I have a chance. I'll see if I can get my notebook cooler and PF merged at the same time.