PDA

View Full Version : how to call in air strikes

pronto101
05-31-2007, 12:29 AM
I have read a lot on the forums about being saved by axis air strikes and people calling in air strikes on destroyers. How do you call them in the assist you and do you get any credit for it?

Cheers

tuddley3
05-31-2007, 12:50 AM
You need to be near a friendly base if I am correct, and then send a Contact Report and soon you will have friendly aircraft to the rescue.

The bad part about friendly airstrikes, is they get credit for their kills, so you better hope they aren't sinking your targets. If all goes well, they will sink most the destroyers and let you sink all the juicy targets. My luck in the past though, has been they end up finishing off what I start, and rape me of tonnage.

This makes for good video and screenshots none the less.

pronto101
05-31-2007, 01:07 AM
thanks for that l will give it a go next time, might sit in the channel and call them in, do you have to be on the surface or can you sent a radio message from periscope depth. Also the radio operator keeps telling me he has recieved a message but every time l ask him to show me he has nothing, whats the go there?

tuddley3
05-31-2007, 01:54 AM
You need to send them Surfaced. To view your messages, press the "M" key.

Starforce3
05-31-2007, 04:54 AM
good if you're saving torpedo's. I find "small merchant" and C2 cargo for some reason seem to take more effort to hit and sink than larger ships and their tonage isn't worth the torpedo. Ofcourse, most of the airstrikes I've wittnessed wouldn't have hit the mark if they were aiming for something the size of a battleship...

hueywolf123
05-31-2007, 05:31 AM
Be very wary about how close you are to anything enemy when sending contact reports. It is possible to call in the wrong team.

Subject_rod
05-31-2007, 06:44 AM
I find "small merchant" and C2 cargo for some reason seem to take more effort to hit and sink than larger ships and their tonage isn't worth the torpedo.. Torpedoes are cheap (but of course distance to resupply is of importance too), but I've good luck with using magnetic setting and running depth to 1 meter below keel. Try to place the hit in the front 1/3 of the target. Usually one torp is all it takes... If not armed - and we're alone - the deckgun is quite effective...
Btw. the channel and calling for Luftwaffe... good luck with that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Don't forget to write your last will before departure...
rS

danurve
05-31-2007, 07:32 AM
I have called in contact reports before near bases, shadowing convoys or what not after exhausting my fish. I've also watched the Luftwaffe pass the merchants and blast a fishing boat. Apparently Goering has them protecting his appetite. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Stingray-65
05-31-2007, 09:15 AM
@ Huey
Good point! I had that happen to me once.

From what I've seen, tuddley is right. The Luftwaffe has a tendancy to target merchants over warships. They've robbed me of several kills. It wouldn't bother me so much if they would attack & sink ships that I hadn't already invested ammo in. IOW, they like to 1st attack what I've already attacked. However, I have on occasion stolen kills from them. I have come across ships that they've attacked in waves, & finished them off either with a torp or deckgun to get the credit. The rule here seems to be that the credit goes to whoever delivers the last blow before it sinks. The next time (if) I get a chance like this, I'd like to use the flak gun just to put a couple of rounds in it & see if it still works.

@ Starforce3
As is IRL (at least in WWII), accuracy will vary from pilot to pilot. I've seen some planes miss their target by long shots while others have nailed them dead to rights. The differance between a "rookie" & Hans-Ulrich Rudel.

@ danurve
Yeah, they can be really weird sometimes if they're the ones initiating an attack.