PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III - a sincere plea to Ubisoft



caleums
11-29-2010, 06:59 PM
I figured this is probably one of the only ways that an Ubisoft dev might run into what I have to say. If so, thank you for reading. Hopefully fans will join in this conversation and contribute their own opinions.

I basically wanted to say only this: Please take your time with Assassin's Creed III. I don't need it by November of 2011. I can wait. I don't mind if you spend more time to work on it and perfect it.

It made me nervous when an Ubisoft exec mentioned recently that another full Assassin's Creed title is coming in 2011. Granted, I was blown away with the unbelievable amount of content that Brotherhood had. For a team having less than a year to develop a full title, Brotherhood was absolutely jaw-dropping in the amount of content and, more importantly, the quality of it all.

That's not to say it was without flaws. The most noticeable aspect of the game that felt rushed were the last two memory sequences of the story mode ("The Borgia" and "The Fall"). It just felt like those two sequences moved way too fast and did not take its time with exposition and set-up like the other sequences did, much less like Assassin's Creed II did.

I'll be honest with you: Assassin's Creed is with no doubt one of my absolute favorite franchises in a long, long time, and I am enjoying so much the increasing quality of the series. I want Assassin's Creed III to be as mind-blowingly good as II was compared to the first. We would all love to see another leap in quality and fresh ideas. So please, please, please take your time with this game.

I am just a layman. I've never developed a video game, nor have I ever run a company that makes video games. But I am an avid fan of games, and I can easily tell - as with every other gamer on the planet - when a product was rushed in order to meet deadlines (Red Dead Redemption, Fallout: New Vegas). Sure, delays suck, but it's better to have a perfect game that was delayed than one that was made in just one year in order to meet earnings goals.

If anyone agrees with this, please show your support. If not, debate away.

Thanks, Ubisoft, for such great games. And a special thank you if you work for Ubisoft and have read this.

-Cale

talontwo
11-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Personally I am 94.6% sure that ACIII will be coming out near the end of 2012. This seems pretty obvious because of the significance 2012 had in the games, and it would be a sensible time to tie up and finish the main storyline for the series.

However, this being said I can't really think of what the 2011 AC will be. My best guess is it will follow a Seperate subject to Desmond, or it will be a purely historical one with no modern day meta-story.

soulscythe80
11-29-2010, 07:38 PM
I agree, it would be good to play brotherhood for a while and then release AC3. What would be good is if they add on to Brotherhood, like add new multiplayer modes or new multiplayer characters to use or some other multiplayer stuff. Also Ubisoft is my favorite game company, because of Assassin's creed and Tom Clancy's games, like Ghost recon. Ubisoft rocks out loud!

AnthonyA85
11-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by maximumtheandy:
Personally I am 94.6% sure that ACIII will be coming out near the end of 2012. This seems pretty obvious because of the significance 2012 had in the games, and it would be a sensible time to tie up and finish the main storyline for the series.

However, this being said I can't really think of what the 2011 AC will be. My best guess is it will follow a Seperate subject to Desmond, or it will be a purely historical one with no modern day meta-story.

The one you're thinking of is Lost Legacy for the DS, which sees Ezio traveling to Masyaf to learn more about the order.

I can't see it being very good though, DS has horrible graphics compared to PSP, I've seen footage of Discovery for the DS and Bloodlines for the PSP, and Bloodlines looked FAR better graphically.

XxKillaSniperxX
11-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by AnthonyA85:
The one you're thinking of is Lost Legacy for the DS, which sees Ezio traveling to Masyaf to learn more about the order.

I can't see it being very good though, DS has horrible graphics compared to PSP, I've seen footage of Discovery for the DS and Bloodlines for the PSP, and Bloodlines looked FAR better graphically.

It's gonna be on the 3DS not the regular DS. The 3DS is far more powerful than the DS.

sgtJARHEADxX
11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by XxKillaSniperxX:
It's gonna be on the 3DS not the regular DS. The 3DS is far more powerful than the DS.
It's possible next year's AC is Lost Legacy. I hope it is. I don't want another console game yet.

kriegerdesgottes
12-01-2010, 02:42 AM
wow I feel like I wrote this but it's someone else's name. I totally 100% agree with you. I do not want a full game next year at all. and I love ac more than any other game ever made. I have bought every single collectors edition since the beginning and I have loved every single one of them but I DO NOT want another one next year. It makes me feel taken advantage of. It makes me feel like money is more important to ubisoft than the greatness of this franchise and it just bothers me. and I definitely don't want the next "full" game to be acIII. look at acII. incredible but wayyy rushed. it wasn't even replayable which is not ok. brotherhood also blew me away. but it's glitched a little too much. so yeah I totally agree.

CRUDFACE
12-01-2010, 06:55 AM
I thought they are stated that they were making light dlc for some time near march and major content stuff around the end of that year.

Blackglasswar
12-01-2010, 07:32 AM
personally i hope that Lost Legacy will become console DLC as well.

extrememuffin
12-01-2010, 08:55 AM
what i like about this thread is that the OP didnt start swearing at the Dev's and demanding things. so props to you

on topic i think that however nicely written this thread was it wont change anything. Ubisoft has made up there mind that they will be releasing a major title next year. it could turn out to be lost legacy or it could be AC3. i think the only thing that will change the date now would be production delays or maybe every single person who bought ACB went to Ubisoft and protested that they want to wait till 2012 for the game.

personally i wouldnt mind waiting till 2012 for AC3 just so that i know that it has very few bugs and will be a very pollished game.

BootBlade
12-02-2010, 02:42 AM
I just came online to write the same thing, props for writing it so well.

My only gripe with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood was purely the fact that it didn't have the WOW factor that I had playing ACI & ACII. I was shocked and pleased at how much content and effort went into the game but I never got that awesome feeling I had when I played ACI or II for the first time. ACB, was good, and excellent in many areas, but the one area where it was only 'good' for me was story which is why I buy these games. It was good, but its wasn't the quality to which I buy the games for. All I'm asking is that if there is a game next year, that its not a rushed product in which story is sacrificed. I always thought the overarching story of Assassin's Creed would expand over three games, but I feel a bit cheated with this suspicion of five major games... As crazy as it might seem, I wish they would've wrapped up the story as a trilogy and made spinoffs on other animus users.

Dougout78
12-02-2010, 03:10 AM
I look at Brotherhood as a bonus since Ezio's story seemed to be so integral to the overall plot; I'm glad they didn't try to squish it all into one game. However, I was left feeling like there are still a few holes in the story so far that could be smoothed out with some DLC. The last few memory sequences did go fast.

AssCred was always meant to be a trilogy, so it's possible that the overall story is complete or mostly complete already and all they have to do is create new CG models and maps, and render the cinematics. I doubt the gameplay will change much except for improvements. (hopefully) Most of the developement is already done as far as I can tell.

So far the handheld/facebook games have only been bonus filler and not necessary to understand the overall story. So, when they made the announcement(s) that a "Big" game was coming in 2011, I assumed it would be a full console game. Possibly even a two-parter like Ezio's story has been. I read somewhere of a plan for an AC game each year... wouldn't that be nice? I guess the real question here would be, "Do the Ubisoft execs and devs consider Lost Legacy for 3DS to be a "BIG" game?"

I would be glad to pay for and play more Assassin's Creed in the future as long as the quality of the gameplay and story keeps improving from game to game.

P.S. Wouldn't it be funny if we're actually playing one of Desmond's descendants reliving his memories of reliving these memories in order to save the future from machines? LOL

caswallawn_2k7
12-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Ubi has said before they have no plans for a AC game in 2011, so AC3 is going to be 2012.

as for the 3DS game, dont compare it's spec to the DS that is out now as the 3DS hardware is actually around the power of the Wii/360 according to some game devs so the game on it could actually be really good.

SAVMATIC
12-02-2010, 09:56 AM
^^ no longer true, they have now said they in fact DO have plans for 2011.

I do agree very much that some of the end of the game was rushed. The end of Ezios story seems incomplete to me. They MAY have done this on purpose in some ways, but the fact remains that the end wasnt that satisfying. I do however disagree with some in that I do hope there is another game next year. They have a winning formula right now, mine as well run with it.

CamelSnake
12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
I agree. Besides the last 2 sequences, I also felt the Desmond story arc seems a little... thin (not including the plot-twists). Maybe it's just a bad script-writer problem. Just my opinion...

And please, please, please: fix the horses. I'm tired of my horse getting stopped because of half-foot ledge. I wouldn't mind AC3 copying RDR's horse mechanics.

Additionally, anyone figure how future AC games are gonna incorporate guns? Or will the 2012 Templars continue using batons http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ?

Colossus_1191
12-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Blackglasswar:
personally i hope that Lost Legacy will become console DLC as well.

I really hope so too. Although out of curiousity I looked at some 3DS videos and the graphics do look incredible, I'd still just rather play it on my PS3.

That masyaf tower must be explored and climbed. I am determined to do it.

assassin087
12-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I heard ubisoft plan on taking a breather and realeasing it in 2012. I think taking a breather would be the best idea to make this game the best it can be. I dont want my favourite series turning in to cod.

RH3SUS
12-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by maximumtheandy:
Personally I am 94.6% sure that ACIII will be coming out near the end of 2012. This seems pretty obvious because of the significance 2012 had in the games, and it would be a sensible time to tie up and finish the main storyline for the series.

However, this being said I can't really think of what the 2011 AC will be. My best guess is it will follow a Seperate subject to Desmond, or it will be a purely historical one with no modern day meta-story.

What if "I Am Alive" is an Assassin's Creed spin-off?

caleums
12-07-2010, 07:36 PM
All of you guys make great points. I hadn't even considered the idea that the AC title for 2011 would be a hand-held one. That sounds extremely probable since they Ubi is consistently releasing portable Assassin's titles.

I agree with CamelSnake. The ending sequences felt oddly quick (in Ezio's timeline). The ending in Desmond's era I thought felt well-paced enough with a very decent twist ending, though the credits came incredibly abruptly (though that seems to be an AC staple so as to leave players salivating at the mouth for the next game).

Take care.
-Cale

d-ShLuM
12-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by caleums:
I figured this is probably one of the only ways that an Ubisoft dev might run into what I have to say. If so, thank you for reading. Hopefully fans will join in this conversation and contribute their own opinions.

I basically wanted to say only this: Please take your time with Assassin's Creed III. I don't need it by November of 2011. I can wait. I don't mind if you spend more time to work on it and perfect it.

It made me nervous when an Ubisoft exec mentioned recently that another full Assassin's Creed title is coming in 2011. Granted, I was blown away with the unbelievable amount of content that Brotherhood had. For a team having less than a year to develop a full title, Brotherhood was absolutely jaw-dropping in the amount of content and, more importantly, the quality of it all.

That's not to say it was without flaws. The most noticeable aspect of the game that felt rushed were the last two memory sequences of the story mode ("The Borgia" and "The Fall"). It just felt like those two sequences moved way too fast and did not take its time with exposition and set-up like the other sequences did, much less like Assassin's Creed II did.

I'll be honest with you: Assassin's Creed is with no doubt one of my absolute favorite franchises in a long, long time, and I am enjoying so much the increasing quality of the series. I want Assassin's Creed III to be as mind-blowingly good as II was compared to the first. We would all love to see another leap in quality and fresh ideas. So please, please, please take your time with this game.

I am just a layman. I've never developed a video game, nor have I ever run a company that makes video games. But I am an avid fan of games, and I can easily tell - as with every other gamer on the planet - when a product was rushed in order to meet deadlines (Red Dead Redemption, Fallout: New Vegas). Sure, delays suck, but it's better to have a perfect game that was delayed than one that was made in just one year in order to meet earnings goals.

If anyone agrees with this, please show your support. If not, debate away.

Thanks, Ubisoft, for such great games. And a special thank you if you work for Ubisoft and have read this.

-Cale

I agree with you 100%, couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for taking the time to post this. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

L_SHunter
12-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Well, first thing first, everything I'm about to say I can't prove so don't yell at me. (people do it a lot on these forums)

I thought AC Brotherhood was in the works BEFORE AC2 came out (remember guys the main installments have diffrent developers) As well I thought I heard that AC3 was already in developement (like when AC2 came out)

I think its only 2011 because they want to make MP for AC3 and they are probably gonna use a fixed version of Brotherhood's MP.

irishferrydog
12-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by caleums:
All of you guys make great points. I hadn't even considered the idea that the AC title for 2011 would be a hand-held one. That sounds extremely probable since they Ubi is consistently releasing portable Assassin's titles.

I agree with CamelSnake. The ending sequences felt oddly quick (in Ezio's timeline). The ending in Desmond's era I thought felt well-paced enough with a very decent twist ending, though the credits came incredibly abruptly (though that seems to be an AC staple so as to leave players salivating at the mouth for the next game).

Take care.
-Cale

I also believe in this, 100%, and your original post too!

Who doesn't want new releases from their favourite franchises to come out ASAP? but, in order for it to be good, it unfortunately must take longer, and that's OK with me, because it. will. be. AWE. SOME.