PDA

View Full Version : Yak 3 campaigns

deskpilot
11-15-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm currently searching flying legends and elsewhere for yak 3 campaigns. Anyone know of any, please?
Thanks

Ps LOVE the yak 3!

deskpilot
11-15-2008, 02:56 AM
I've found one campaign so far. "Yaks over Memel"

mandrill7
11-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Yes, YoM is mine. I'm not aware of any other Yak campaigns out there. I think someone is planning a Kuban campaign.

crucislancer
11-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by mandrill7:
Yes, YoM is mine. I'm not aware of any other Yak campaigns out there. I think someone is planning a Kuban campaign.

"Yaks over Memel" is a fantastic campaign. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I think this is the only Yakovlev fighter campaign on M4T, which is kinda sad. If I want some offline Yakovlev fun, I have to go to DGen stuff, which isn't too bad in some cases, but it really seems like they get no respect.

VW-IceFire
11-29-2008, 01:36 PM
You know the Yak may have to be my next project http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I love the Yak and it doesn't get much attention. Does it?

Phil_K
11-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah Icefire - I think we're really lacking a good late-war Yak-9 campaign, maybe including the big gun Yaks (9K?) and 9U.

Think it would be fantastic if you were to put something together......

VW-IceFire
11-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Sounds like a fun project to tackle. But it will take me some time to put together so don't expect it for a while.

I'm almost finished my Storm Clouds 2.0 upgrade which combines the two parts of the Tempest campaign together, plus a few tweaks, plus a 20 mission FW190D-9 campaign that has you flying the same general scenario but from the other side. The Focke Wulf campaign is entirely new so they aren't mirror missions.

Once thats finished...I'll be looking into the Yaks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (I really love the Yak series but haven't done a campaign about them yet)

FlatSpinMan
11-30-2008, 08:23 AM
There are a few good missions in the very good new campaign "The Siege" by Browning_50cal.
The player is in various early Russian planes, including the Yak, due to the desperate nature of the war and problems related to supply and extreme weather. The briefings explain the reasons for the changes in equipment really well. it's actually a very well designed campaign. Some of the enemy fighter flight routes just break your heart - always appearing from the worst position at the worst time. It's very convincing - your heart sinks or you get all freaked out (especially if I'm in a Yak.)
it's been a real eye-opener for me as I have virtually no stick time in any of these planes.

Here's the thread in the Mission builders' forum.
The Siege campaign thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/50910533/m/9001039207)

Phil_K
11-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I really need to check out B50's campaign. I need to put some new pots in my joystick, as at the moment it's only really good for testing missions, not for properly playing other peoples' stuff. I've got a big list of campaigns I want to try....

As for the Yak, I was thinking of doing a Yak-9U version of "Stalin's Falcons". That said, I'm already doing a P-63 version, so three versions of the same short campaign might be a bit cheeky.

Icefire - are you upgrading any of your other campaigns?

Metatron_123
11-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
... your heart sinks or you get all freaked out (especially if I'm in a Yak.)
it's been a real eye-opener for me as I have virtually no stick time in any of these planes.

I'm surprised you single out the Yak as the worst of the bunch, it should be the best of the out of the Lagg-3, Yak-1b, Mig-3 and I-16... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

VW-IceFire
11-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Phil_K:
Icefire - are you upgrading any of your other campaigns?
I had thought about some minor updates to Lightning Strikes and Shooting Stars. Actually with Shooting Stars I think I would do that over again from scratch...or mostly from scratch.

Phil_K
12-01-2008, 06:14 AM
I think your "Red Stars - Karelian Front" might be another one worth tweaking. I thought it holds up really well with more recent campaigns - just a few more missions, and other tweaks, and it would be as good as new.

Good to hear about the Dora campaign, and the "Storm Clouds" update. One thing about "Storm Clouds" that I noticed (amid the general magnificence) was that the first waypoints were perhaps too fast.

I've noticed that in the game the AI always go really fast to the first waypoint (I think to make up for lost time time during take-off) so if you set the first waypoint for, say, 400Kmh, the AI will tend to hit 500, and then slow down to the correct speed for the 2nd waypoint. That's why the AI tend to "run away" from the player.

What I often do now for my campaigns is set the 1st waypoint much slower (by about 100kmh depending on distance from take-off) and the problem of AI running away tends to disappear. You might have done this already on the update, but if not, it's worth considering.....

FlatSpinMan
12-01-2008, 07:02 AM
@Metatron - it's like a brick! If you have altitude you can do okay but you're doomed if alt is unequal - fair enough. Also, climb is slow, it handles like a Hurri (this is not a compliment.
The Mig at least is quite a nimble sucker, as are the Lagg and I-16. In terms of hitting power, I don't like the Migs feeble jellybean guns. The cannon armed I-16 is lots of fun if you can keep up and connect. The Yak is sort of blandly in the middle for me. Of them all, I like the LaGG, just cos it looks like a fighter.

crucislancer
12-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I think a fun Yak campaign would be April/May of 1944 in the Crimea, 3 IAK used Yak-1, -7, and -9, depending on the squadron, and in some cases the different variants were mixed within the squadron. Moving on to Operation Bagration 3 IAK was attached to 3rd Belorussian Front where they started using the Yak-3, and later they were in the Berlin area. Some possibilities there.

Sillius_Sodus
12-01-2008, 01:26 PM
The stock Normandie Nieman campaign allows you to fly the Yak-3 in the last stages of the war. The entire campaign is very well done.

crucislancer
12-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Sillius_Sodus:
The stock Normandie Nieman campaign allows you to fly the Yak-3 in the last stages of the war. The entire campaign is very well done.

Oh, certainly there are a few Dgen campaigns that have the Yak-3 at the end. Pick up the Ostfront add-on and you get a pure Normandie Nieman career flying the Yak-3 in Kurland, 4 or 5 campaigns IIRC.

VW-IceFire
12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Phil_K:
I think your "Red Stars - Karelian Front" might be another one worth tweaking. I thought it holds up really well with more recent campaigns - just a few more missions, and other tweaks, and it would be as good as new.

Good to hear about the Dora campaign, and the "Storm Clouds" update. One thing about "Storm Clouds" that I noticed (amid the general magnificence) was that the first waypoints were perhaps too fast.

I've noticed that in the game the AI always go really fast to the first waypoint (I think to make up for lost time time during take-off) so if you set the first waypoint for, say, 400Kmh, the AI will tend to hit 500, and then slow down to the correct speed for the 2nd waypoint. That's why the AI tend to "run away" from the player.

What I often do now for my campaigns is set the 1st waypoint much slower (by about 100kmh depending on distance from take-off) and the problem of AI running away tends to disappear. You might have done this already on the update, but if not, it's worth considering.....
No I hadn't made that update but I'll look into it...

I think I understand the concept...its a bit weird. But I'll try that. Had problems with the AI getting off to a quick start.