PDA

View Full Version : OT: Newscorp goes Green

Huxley_S
05-13-2007, 01:15 PM
The global warming debate is [as good as] over.

"News Corp boss orders his entire empire to convert and become a worldwide enthusiast for the environment" Shock!
http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article2536869.ece

Just how the likes of Fox News are going to square their so far intransigent ideological opposition to climate change science against Murdoch's new found green credentials remains to be seen.

However, this is almost as incredible as watching Martin McGuiness and Ian Paisley sharing a joke and a cup of tea last week.

Cheers!

jensenpark
05-13-2007, 01:54 PM
It is not in acceptance of the junk science of 'global warming' or 'climate change'.

It is solely for PR and thus better profits.

Huxley_S
05-13-2007, 02:22 PM
It is solely for PR and thus better profits.

I have to admit that Murdoch would probably charge an old lady for helping her cross the street, but regardless of that I'm very happy about this news.

Personally, having a science degree and having studied the available evidence I'm absolutely convinced that human activity is contributing to a net increase in global temperatures, and that this is a very bad thing for most of the world's population, not to mention the potential mass extinction of animals who will be unable to adapt (especially simple organisms such as corals, anemones, many plants and insects). The fact that every national academy of science in the world agrees about this kind of adds some weight to it.

I know that there are many who will refuse to believe it no matter what, but lots of people come to conclusions based on gut instinct rather than say, reading a book. There's little difference between them than those who denied that smoking caused cancer, except that the science of climate change is a tad more complex and you can't wheel in tracheoptomied patients or lung amputees to help make your case, so they can point at the numbers in genuine/ideological incomprehension and faithfully cling to their beliefs.

The point is, that in losing Murdoch as the unflinching mouthpiece of the "Nay" camp and having him put his muscle into the camp of the scientific consensus, the global warming deniers have as good as lost the argument... in a very real sense.

Niipzu
05-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Huxley_S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is solely for PR and thus better profits.

I have to admit that Murdoch would probably charge an old lady for helping her cross the street, but regardless of that I'm very happy about this news.

Personally, having a science degree and having studied the available evidence I'm absolutely convinced that human activity is contributing to a net increase in global temperatures, and that this is a very bad thing for most of the world's population, not to mention the mass extinction of animals who will be unable to adapt (especially simple organisms such as corals, anemones, many plants and insects). The fact that every national academy of science in the world agrees kind of adds some weight to that.

I know that there are many who will refuse to believe it no matter what, but lots of people come to conclusions based on gut instinct rather than say, reading a book. There's little difference between them than those who denied that smoking caused cancer, except that the science of climate change is a tad more complex and you can't wheel in tracheoptomied patients or lung amputees to help make your case, so they can point at the numbers in genuine/ideological incomprehension and faithfully cling to their beliefs.

The point is, that in losing Murdoch from the "Nay" camp, the global warming deniers have as good as lost the argument... in a very real sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

I'm studying towards M.Sc. and fiddled around with this theme. I have measured CO2 absorbtion on infrared spectrum and read through lots of scientific documents etc. All I can do is to agree that mankind has contributed a lot to global warming.

I'm sure Murdoch is running this mostly for PR, but the intentions are still good.

AKA_TAGERT
05-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Huxley_S:
The global warming debate is [as good as] over.

"News Corp boss orders his entire empire to convert and become a worldwide enthusiast for the environment" Shock!
http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article2536869.ece

Just how the likes of Fox News are going to square their so far intransigent ideological opposition to climate change science against Murdoch's new found green credentials remains to be seen.

However, this is almost as incredible as watching Martin McGuiness and Ian Paisley sharing a joke and a cup of tea last week.

Cheers! Well Im sold!

Im going to start doing my part too!

From now on when I run the AC in my house I will leave the windows open to help cool off the outside!

Huxley_S
05-13-2007, 03:21 PM
From now on when I run the AC in my house I will leave the windows open to help cool off the outside!

I was expecting "Poor Nancy" but anyways... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Aaron_GT
05-14-2007, 05:11 AM
It is not in acceptance of the junk science of 'global warming' or 'climate change'.

What makes you feel it is junk science? (Maybe we should take this and the old oil thread to PT right away!)

WTE_Ibis
05-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Well Hux you got him/her.

Aaron_GT
05-14-2007, 05:13 AM

Off topic for this off topic thread, but it does seem incredible (and heartening) that they seem to be able to get on so well. The lamb and the lion lying down together, as it were. It's taken a long, long time to get to this point, but it does help restore your faith in humanity a bit.

jensenpark
05-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is not in acceptance of the junk science of 'global warming' or 'climate change'.

What makes you feel it is junk science? (Maybe we should take this and the old oil thread to PT right away!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shoot me a note and we can discuss...this sure ain't the place to go over it. No doubt we'll have people Oleg porked the environment like he porked this plane or that plane...