PDA

View Full Version : ditched pilot missions

stugumby
11-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Ok , so i went out as directed at 5000 ft or so, way to high to see the guy in the water, eventually saw myself over him in ctrl f2, but now what? Do i send message, drop raft, etc, game flashed message mission complete and i went back to carrier, and ended up in the water again myself due to missing the last wire.

2. Val question, does it have an automatic dive recovery system like the stuka? got the dive brake set as l on keyboard so it worked but had a terrible time gauging when to drop bomb.

3. landing in the val was a floating experience, it just wouldnt come down that last few feet, just serenly floated down the deck and bumped wheels and missed wire, is it just me or is it a floater?

Athosd
11-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi Stugumby,

The downed pilot mission type is similar to recon - you just have to get to the target zone and stay there for as certain amount of time (time is set by the mission designer) - when that condition is satisfied you get the "mission complete" message. Presumably you are meant to have radioed in some confirmation that the pilot is there and alive - so a rescue mission can be sent out for him.

No dive recovery mechanism in the Val to my knowledge - you'll have to pop the dive brakes out and back in manually.

Try practicing landing the Val in "no cockpit" mode - there is a velocity vector (where the plane is going as opposed to where its pointing) pipper displayed in this view that will give you some help determining best glide angle for the trap.
After a few attempts with this aid, full cockpit carrier landings become a lot easier.

Cheers

Athos

stugumby
11-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks for responding, i was concerned i was forgetting to tell them to rescue the poor guy.
Tonights fiasco was a 3 p39 shoot down but i only got credit for 1, the one i saw explode in air, the others went down trailing smoke and with engines off, looked for them in ctrl f2 but no icon but no kill for record either, too bad the oscar always runs out of ammo at the critical time!!! nimble and responsive and can turn on a dime but only 2 mg's what where they thinking???

Cadet_Bobo
11-09-2004, 12:11 AM
Another way to eliminate floating during carrier landings is to raise the flaps as you cut the engine. You'll drop like a stone! Pull the nose up and grab a cable!

Philipscdrw
11-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Useful tip! Thanks Bobo.

On recon/ditching missions, I just follow the course guide on the compass in the American planes, and the course deviation needle in the Japanese aircraft.