PDA

View Full Version : Suicide Ships in GW

Miriyia
07-05-2006, 11:19 AM
I have the Grey Wolves mod and have been having fun with it for about a week now. I wanted to know if anyone else has been having this problem.

One thing I have noticed is that ships in and around the harbours are highly suicidal. In my most recent outing I have seen 2 Destroyers beach themselves (one German, one Brit) and an Armed Trawler that had been looking for me in a port backed it's self into one of the piers going pretty fast as it caused the depth charges on it's deck to explode.

I just think it's a bad sign that I go to invade a harbour and it's 2 defenders dissabled themselves. An easy sitting duck torp shot on the stern of the DD blew the props to hell and gone and destroyed the depth charge launchers. She sunk by the stern and is no more.
If it wasn't such a bad storm I would deck gun it out with whats left of the Armed Trawler.

I'm a big fan of harbour raiding but I want to know if stunts like this will be common? Kinda takes the fun out of it when they pretty much kill themselves.

Also when I was at sea I happened apon a small merchant so figured what the hell I'll deck gun it. I fired over 100 shots (only had HE) at it and hit with atleast 80%. I know for a fact that there were atleast 30 below the water line hits and while she did slow down to 4 knots and was sitting slightly lower in the water I followed her for hours (in game) at periscope depth thinking that she was just sinking slowly but she never went down.
I left the ship to finish my mission and figured at only moving 4 knots I could catch back up but a bad storm fired up when I went back to find her I couldn't pick her up on the Hydrophone anywhere. She was headed to the port I later invaded and after spending about 12 ingame hours in the port and her never ariving I figured she sunk in the storm and I just didn't get a message.
I guess the question is is the deck gun (88) completly useless?

Kaleun1961
07-05-2006, 11:45 AM
The suicidal ships thing is a flaw in the game coding, as far as I know. The A.I. routines cannot account for obstacles in their way, so ignore them as they try to destroy you. I don't think a modder can do anything about that so it is not a fault of Grey Wolves in particular.

The dumbed down deck gun is intentional, to force players to rely more upon their torpedoes to sink shipping. The real life deck gun was mainly used to finish off cripples or smaller targets not worth a torpedo. Also, the damage model in Grey Wolves is based on the NYGM tonnage mod, which does away with sinking ships by accumulating hit points. The idea now is to sink ships by flooding them, not making them magically run out of hit points by repeatedly pounding the hull with deck gun rounds that are more powerful than they were in real life.

The game gives us the wrong impression about harbour raiding. It was a dangerous thing to do in real life and wasn't attempted much. As an SH3 Kaleun you must ask yourself, "Do I want to have an arcade game experience or try to simulate a realistic U-boat experience?" The answer to that will determine your playing style.

Coffee_N_Donitz
07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
(No mods)
I've seen a trawler go up in flames banging against the wharf in Bristol, it never sank, but illuminated the way and killed my FPS (Nvidia). Much to my chagrin, I couldn't torp it and get some cheap fame. Mind you, the harbour patrol DD will make a nice new navigation hazzard in the shallow water.

HW3
07-05-2006, 07:01 PM
This also happens when you save your game in, or very near a harbour. When you reload the saved game, all the moving ships in the harbour will have lost their waypoints and will just run around aimlessly. It is a well known flaw of the game.

zoinks_
07-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by HW3:
This also happens when you save your game in, or very near a harbour. When you reload the saved game, all the moving ships in the harbour will have lost their waypoints and will just run around aimlessly. It is a well known flaw of the game.
i think you don't want to save a game within 50km of land because of this bug...i save no closer than 60km.

Bewolf
07-06-2006, 03:29 AM
Yeah, teh deck gun is the only thing bugging me as well in the GW mods. I read an expirienced crew could fire 20 shots the minute. In GW I mange 5 or 6 only. Also even small trawelers take 20/30 shots before going down. Something is seriously wrong there. I also miss manning the guns myself, but granted, it is highly unlikely the captains manned their own guns back then, so I an live with that.

Aside that the GW is superb. I also love the new ship damage modelling.