PDA

View Full Version : Total noob help...

Calii
04-25-2006, 08:07 PM
So I recently got a new joystick. One that has rudder control, and thats something I have been missing for a couple of years. With this new joystick, Ive found an interest in getting back into flight sims as well. The closest thing to a flight sim Ive played in the last five or six years almost, have been the Battlefield games, and Heroes of the Pacific. Not Sim at all. So today, I checked out Microsofts Combat Flight Simulator, and IL2. I wasnt at all impressed with Microsfots, everything just felt to clunky. But IL2, I had heard alot about, and looks really good.

Problem is, Im getting really frustrated. I have the demo, and the training isnt available in the trial version. I tried to just learn by doing, and after several tries, I eventually got into the air, but soon found myself in the deep blue. My first and foremost problem lies in starting up. Once I get the engine on and at full power, the plane, no matter what mission Im flying, or what plane Im using, always turns right. The rudder control is completely neutral, and I even tried locking the rear wheel. but hte same thing happens. This adds alot of challenge to trying to get off the ground, as Im fighting more directions than I should. Is this normal? I really dont know if its supposed to happen or not. I guess no, but, yeah, I cant find a decent explanation for it. The rest of my problems lie more in general control more than anything, but I would like to know if its possible to invert rudder control. Im used to twisting left to turn left, and right to turn right. I could cope with it, but switching between different games with different rudder setups would be a pain. And finally, at least to start off, is there a way to simplify things at all? To try and tie multiple controls together in game, so you could have a less realistic experience, but it would be easeir to learn to fly?

I hate having to ask stuff like this, but Im just beyond trying to figure it out myself. IL2 looks like an awesome game, as do the addons. But if I can actually enjoy the game, I couldnt bring myself to buy it. Im sure the training would help me, but yeah, thats not in demo, so I dont know what to do there. Againy, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

AFSG_Bulldog
04-25-2006, 08:16 PM
When you say you have the demo, do you mean you have the original Il2 demo? If so the original game is night and day from what is out now.

Several causes of your problem might be that you do not have your controls mapped properly and the rudder function may not be working or it might even be reversed.

But torque and other factors are modelled into the game. If your controller is working properly and you have everything mapped correctly then you really shouldn't have that much of a problem controlling your plane on take off.

Calii
04-25-2006, 08:25 PM
I have the V2 demo.

And I assume everything is mapped correctly, the rudder itself works when I twist the joystick. The problem is that the plane turns on its own. This problem only appears to occur on the ground though. At least, I didnt notice if it was happening in the air for the short time I was up.

IL2-chuter
04-25-2006, 08:40 PM
You could try turning off "Torque and Gyro" and maybe "Wind and Turbulence" . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

You gotta keep on that rudder to keep the nose straight when starting off . . . although it ain't anything like a real plane (been flyin' taildraggers since 1977). Lock the tailwheel (I don't even have it mapped so you don't have to have it) and advance the throttle smoothly and not to quickly while holding moderate up elevator.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

See where that gets ya. Good luck and keep at it.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

WTE_Galway
04-25-2006, 11:18 PM
you are likely flying a demo of an early version of IL2 that had much harder takeoff characterisitics .. also twist rudder is trickier than pedals

firstly .. fly a few missons starting in the air to get the hang of it

when it comes to takeoff use WEP and also make sure if a wing dips as you lift counter with opposite rudder not stick

1) try easing on the throttle to about 50% and controlling direction with rudder and then easing it up to 100% .. you may find it easier to control with no flaps till you get the hang of it (note that under about 50% throttle you get very little rudder authority till you get speed up)

2) method 2 (more for carriers and thunderstorms) .. full brakes and stick fully back and firewall the throttle .. adjust with rudder so the plane points down the runway while stationary and release the brakes .. ease up on the stick once you are rolling so the nose can come up

Calii
04-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Cool. I tried just easing off the ground with a little more self control first, and I was able to get up with few problems. Even managed to stay in the air long enough to get to hte objective. Still working on actually beating a mission...

But at least now I have room to improve, without sitting on the ground. Thanks guys, very grateful for the help.

Xiolablu3
04-27-2006, 12:19 AM
I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but you should buy the new DVD which came out last month.

It contains

IL2 Forgotten Battles - The sequel to the game you have
Aces Expansion - Numerous great planes added
PAcific Fighters - Even more great planes

Plus all the patches - Even more great planes

ANd more stuff coming out.

It is much much better than the old IL2 and very cheap. I think its 19.99 for the complete DVD with all of the above. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Well worth it, plus you can play online which is the best part by far.