PDA

View Full Version : Writing about the Doolittle raid

Jediteo
08-05-2006, 03:46 PM
In the last year of my high school program, we are required to write a 4000 word extended essay about a subject, I chose history and more specificly the doolittle raid. Unfortunatly here in Sweden this event is not very well known (unfortunatly), and thereby my history teacher did not have any information or books about the raid. So I set off the the local library to search entire sweden of all the books about the subject. So far I have only found 4, some which are not detailed as I would like. I hae read 30 seconds over tokyo, and several biographies of doolittle and also a whole list of books called "the army air forces in world war II" of which is ordered by the US congress. But my question is whether there is additional information about the subject preferably internet sites and journals, since I have borrowed all books that are to be found in Sweden (even those from the military history museum). I would be very grateful for any hints or even the slightest piece of information.

and btw the essay is supposed to be written in english not swedish

Jediteo
08-05-2006, 03:46 PM
In the last year of my high school program, we are required to write a 4000 word extended essay about a subject, I chose history and more specificly the doolittle raid. Unfortunatly here in Sweden this event is not very well known (unfortunatly), and thereby my history teacher did not have any information or books about the raid. So I set off the the local library to search entire sweden of all the books about the subject. So far I have only found 4, some which are not detailed as I would like. I hae read 30 seconds over tokyo, and several biographies of doolittle and also a whole list of books called "the army air forces in world war II" of which is ordered by the US congress. But my question is whether there is additional information about the subject preferably internet sites and journals, since I have borrowed all books that are to be found in Sweden (even those from the military history museum). I would be very grateful for any hints or even the slightest piece of information.

and btw the essay is supposed to be written in english not swedish

berg417448
08-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Here are a few to get you started:

http://www.doolittleraid.com/

http://www.cv6.org/1942/doolittle/doolittle.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/wwii-pac/misc-42/dooltl.htm

FA_Razor
08-05-2006, 04:41 PM
As a high school teacher (and doctoral student) myself, let me first applaud your effort. I know how hard it is to write quality work of that length. Secondly, I'd like to offer you two pieces of advice on researching and writing such a paper.

First: Beware of website information, it is not always accurate (we teachers routinely visit wikipedia and award ourselves pulitzer prizes, nobel prizes and olympic gold medals...just to see if turns up in someones paper). However, there are MANY good websites you can search yourself. I'm fond of "google scholar" which will return scholarly papers and journal articles. I did a quick query on "doolittle raiders" and got several dozen hits.

Second: Many schools here in the United States, as well as public libraries, subscribe to research databases which you can search electronically for books, magazine articles, newspaper articles, photos, etc. Perhaps ask a local librarian and see if there are similar products/services available to you in Sweden.

BfHeFwMe
08-05-2006, 05:03 PM
The First Hero's (http://www.shopping.com/xPO-The_First_Heroes_The_Extraordinary_Story_of_the_Do olittle_Raid_-_Americas_First_World_War_II_Victory_by_Craig_Nels on)

This is the definitive work on the subject, a great read from the origins and planning, formation of the unit, selection of crews and weapons, the political reasons, all the way through to thier escape from China. Also detailed account how the raid changed the entire Japanese stratigic plan, from fortress Asia to offensives on US turf. This deprived them of massive resources to carry out the fortification and put them on par on allied turf where they were defeated.

You'll find it a very pleasant read, the guy did some serious homework and interviews. Like few other WWII book I've read, he'll put you right onboard those airplanes with the crews.

If you can find this book, a primary source, the only difficulty you may have is choosing what aspect of the raid you wish to cover. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Chapter 1 (http://craignelson.us/firstheroes.html)

mandrill7
08-05-2006, 09:50 PM
There's a recent Osprey campaign mini-book on the topic. In Canada, it costs about $30.00.

Google Osprey Publishers and you should find it. Good luck.

WWMaxGunz
08-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Make sure to write about the WHY's of the raid and the effects it had you can find, how they
affected other history, the course of history. The effort was more symbolic than anything
but did it change the disposition of Japanese naval forces to prevent a repeat?

Jediteo
08-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Thank you very much for all your help and encouragement. I am aware of the difficulties of internet sources. I found it quite fun actually to do this kind of in depth research, but one problem still persists. I have found out much about the planning stage and execution of the raid, but not much about the aftermath. what I have found out now, is that the raid had several effects such as as great moral victory and an ispiration for the american people and the troops, but also that the Japanese intelligence and command wanted to prevent further attacks of this kind, so they planned to expand their perimiter defences as far as the aleutians and midway (you all know what happend there)

Again I wish to thank you for all you support, and I am happy to say that I seems that I can pull this off

jamesdietz
08-06-2006, 12:03 PM
My 2 cents:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d116/jamesdietz/Earlylaunch.jpg

brimigus
08-06-2006, 06:35 PM
dude just watch peral harbour with ben affleck.plently of subjective mater and you wont have to read

WWMaxGunz
08-06-2006, 09:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brimigus:
dude just watch peral harbour with ben affleck.plently of subjective mater and you wont have to read </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do that to a HS student who might not know better? That movie was a-historic dribble!

On the web, Google words 'doolittle raiders china' perhaps Jediteo.

There was an Aleutians campaign as Japan did attack and had troops based there. It was a
very difficult and yes, Forgotten Battle.

You probably have not the time but for later reference you can get much at discount from
amazon.com except for you the shipping would be fierce. For history teacher though who buys
a good load of the heavily discounted history DVD's it may be worth such. There are also
different encyclopedias on CD for cheap like Comptons since over 10 years now and Amazon
does sell older used materials for less. They are a wonderful resource and perhaps there
is or should be one like it local to you for save on shipping and the import tags. I know
some about those since I did send to a Swedish friend once some discs and two bottles of
hot sauce since he said it was the only thing he really could not find was peppers. It was
maybe US$11 for the shipping and one of those bottles was over 1/2 litre in plastic while
the other was smaller but glass. The box was good weight, check on costs before saying it
cannot be worth effort.

Still, Amazon ads will turn your search words into lists of titles (books, tapes, DVD's)
that maybe you can request of your own city library! You have tried there for encyclopedia?
Even if the the book is written Swedish I think you may be able to use the material into
English?

Show the teacher that you are learning many ways to find information and then synthesis of
your report that you are learning more ways to learn. That is the real point of school,
not to just make marks and put aside learning once you have diplomas and later degrees.

leitmotiv
08-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Be sure to do your best to cover the huge price the Chinese paid for what Chang Kai-Shek considered to be a stunt. He warned FDR the Chinese would be ferociously punished by the Japanese for their cooperation in the raid, but his warning was ignored. As it transpired, the attack had enormous strategic value because it diverted the Japanese into carrying out the deeply flawed Midway plan which was nearly predestined to fail, and their defeat in this battle stalled their strategic offensive. The Americans seized the initiative at Guadalcanal, right after Midway, and never lost it. Unfortunately, Chang was right---thousands of Chinese died in the province in which the Doolittle bombers ditched---killed by Japanese punitive operations. This was a consequence some books on the raid ignore.

Von_Rat
08-07-2006, 01:03 AM
the fact that chinese peasants helped the flyers, even though they knew there would be horriable reprisals, says alot about the bravery of the chinese people.

Tater-SW-
08-07-2006, 07:21 AM
I'd have to check, but I imagine The First Team by Lundstrom has day to day operational information about the CV aircrews on the raid if nothing else. They are great books to have anyway, they are the definitive accounts of the 1st year of ww2 in the PTO from the perspective of US naval aviation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870211897/sr=8-3/qid=...1774-4668734?ie=UTF8 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870211897/sr=8-3/qid=1154956917/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-0731774-4668734?ie=UTF8)
It's now in paperback, too.

tater

Jediteo
08-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Hahaha that pearl harbor movie really sucks (excuse my use of the word, but it is true about this movie). Not only did in immensly distort the events, the really poor job or historical accuracy (spitfire mk IX in the battle of britain, and P40N in pearl harbor) but they actaully portrayed doolittle completely wrong (Alec baldwin is a good actor but no doolittle). Aslo the use of late war b25's (they dint even bother to cover up the gunner postions). Sorry for my outburt but I do truly hate that movie (I bet you do too).

And btw is it normal to start flying flight sims when you are 4 years old, and never stopped? you guys remember red baron, and MS flight sim?