PDA

View Full Version : Is now the time to upgrade?? how far off is BOB?

Davinci..
04-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I dont think i've ever seen computer prices this good. Seems now a days you can build one hell of a good little gaming system(or upgrade) for an awesome price, ie, in the $400-$500 range.

With my 2500+ barton, and 6600gt, being more then long in the tooth. Ive been putting off an upgrade for quite some time(waiting for BOB)

Im oftly tempted to pick up a AMD x2 5000+, 2 gigs of ram, an MB, and a nvidia 9600GT, which can all be had for well under $500.

But is it worth it?? Is now the time to upgrade, with prices and components being so damn good? Would such a system handle BOB well?? Is there any "solid" news on when BOB will come down? Or should i wait some more..(who knows how long). As it stands now, i already cant play on half the servers out there, my amd 2500+ just cant cut it.

I remember reading something along the lines of "a rig that runs il2 on its highest settings now, will run BOB on the lowest"... But that was over a year ago now. Any idea of what BOB will require for a good experience? Or would even the rig listed above be to weak to handle bob(i cant imagine)???

thoughts?

badatit
04-27-2008, 01:04 AM
If you can spare the cash...go for it. Now's the time.
Or, you can wait a few more months, and that'll be the time.

I got tired of waiting. I upped in Jan.
Could have saved 150 dollars had I waited till now. But it was worth it.

As for BOB...I'm sure new my hardware will be up to the task (new cpu in route).

Feathered_IV
04-27-2008, 03:40 AM
We know about as much of SoW now as we did two years ago. Impossible to guess at a release date.
I upgraded last year at about the same time as the game recieved it's unsupported upgrades. Very glad I spent the money. Still room in there for another 8800GT later on too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

mortoma
04-27-2008, 08:39 AM
What I'm going to do is wait about a year. Even if BoB/SoW comes out before a year my new system will be able to play it on low settings for a while. I'll just have to skip the "grass waving in the prop wash" effects. I just got a new PC because my extremely old one bit the dust due to the video crad going out. I decided it was not worth it to look around for a AGPX4 video card so I bought a mid-range system.

I got a Asus mobo with a 650I chipset SLI capable mobo but only bought one EVGA Nvidia 8600GT. I put in a superb E8400 Core 2 duo in it though with 2 gigs of Corsair DDR2 memory. This compromise plays IL2 extremely well and all I will have to do is get a better motherboard with two new video cards to play BoB really well. But as I pointed out earlier it will play BOB ok on low settings for a while if I have to.

SeaFireLIV
04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
It seems to me any new system will be too soon for SOW. I upgraded in November and I`m pretty sure now that by the time SOW is out i`ll need to upgrade again!

Short version:
Best to wait till the sim`s actually released.

knightflyte
04-27-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm still very hopeful for an '08 release, but I wouldn't expect it until Dec.

If Bob is your only reason to upgrade, then wait. If not try to find a MoBo/CPU combo that will be upwardly scalable. That may mean you end up spending more than you've mentioned in your post, but at least when BoB IS released you can relatively inexpensively upgrade then with a new CPU and not worry about replacing a whole system.

badatit
04-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
It seems to me any new system will be too soon for SOW. I upgraded in November and I`m pretty sure now that by the time SOW is out i`ll need to upgrade again!

Short version:
Best to wait till the sim`s actually released.

That was my original plan...but IL2 1946, Company of Heros, ARMA, and Flight Simulator, to name a few really shine now.

If I cant run BOB w/acceptable settings, I'll simply get a new mainboard that supports pci-e 2.0 (too expensive at the moment) and "maybe" a newer gpu.

Then I'll slap a box together using the older tech, and make someone in my area here a killer deal on it.