PDA

View Full Version : Nose art

DHC2Pilot
01-30-2005, 11:04 PM
I was at our local Barnes & Noble (a popular book retailer in the U.S.) and ran across a book (I believe it is a collection of 1940's pinup calendar girls done by Alberto Vargas) of scantilly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif clad women, very similar to what we see as nose art on fighters and bombers. The book highlights several years of calendar artwork, and I must say the images are stunning. All of you skinners out there might want to check this out to create some new and exciting nose art for the many skin sites out there. Doing a search, it appears that there are several books available highlighting Alberto's work which was featured extensively in Esquire magazine back in the 40's. Might be worth checking out!

DHC2Pilot
01-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Doing a bit more looking around on the web, I've come to learn that he inspired the nose art for the "Memphis Belle" B-17 nose art.

cwojackson
01-30-2005, 11:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DHC2Pilot:
I was at our local Barnes & Noble (a popular book retailer in the U.S.) and ran across a book (I believe it is a collection of 1940's pinup calendar girls done by Alberto Vargas) of scantilly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif clad women, very similar to what we see as nose art on fighters and bombers. The book highlights several years of calendar artwork, and I must say the images are stunning. All of you skinners out there might want to check this out to create some new and exciting nose art for the many skin sites out there. Doing a search, it appears that there are several books available highlighting Alberto's work which was featured extensively in Esquire magazine back in the 40's. Might be worth checking out! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>A good source for nose art is the Goggle Images search feature. Start with key words such as "nose art" and move on through to "pin ups", "Vargas", etc. It will give you lost of links to basically thumbnail sized images...great for converting to nose art.