PDA

View Full Version : I dont get what all this elitism is about

Airmail109
05-29-2007, 06:22 PM
concerning not needing wonder woman view/externals or "full real"

I mean i don't need externals, I fly blindfolded and plug my neural system into the internet and "feel the packets"

I'm not snobby about it though

VW-IceFire
05-29-2007, 06:33 PM
In my book...whatever floats your boat is ok with me! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The only thing that bothers me is folks complaining about aircraft performance and then it turns out they don't fly them at all like they were designed to so its no small wonder the planes that were designed to do what they were doing are winning. I.e. P-47 at 500 meters versus Yak-9U at 500 meters....

Daiichidoku
05-29-2007, 06:33 PM

VMF-214_HaVoK
05-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Its only an issue when someone makes it an issue, such as yourself. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif People should play the game how they like, whatever is more fun then them. I still dont understand why people feel the need to justify or make excuses for the settings they fly. Feeling guilty or less of a man? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Old_Canuck
05-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Agree with the foregoing posts. The goal is fun. I had a great time today torpedoing ships online with a buddy in a "full switch" server. Highlight of all three missions: landing safe back at base. Having seen the "epelictic fit" style of play .. in cockpit / out of cockpit / in / out / .... it seems more relaxing and maybe even easier on full switch servers. Maybe the not-so-full-switch players are more elite after all. I think the whole elitism thing was summed up in the title of another thread: "legends in their own minds." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Dagnabit
05-29-2007, 06:53 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Bearcat99
05-29-2007, 07:18 PM
We fly with tight icons, padlock, externals... our coops are hardly ever empty.

Philipscdrw
05-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I like to use xyz realism settings for abc reasons, I'm sure if you tried it you'd find the same, why not give it a go sometime?

Of course it <helps/doesn't matter> if you're using <rudder pedals/trackIR/TeamSpeak/night vision goggles/alcohol/nav-lights-on-a-slider, delete as appropriate>

Henkie327
05-29-2007, 07:26 PM
I like no cockpit. Especially in the 190 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

LStarosta
05-29-2007, 07:29 PM
If you want to stroke your ego by saying you fly full real, then fly a real airplane. Until then, STFU and color. Il-2 is an arcade game, and calling anything full real is a frickin joke.

Case in point:

Put an Il-2 "pilot" in the real life equivalent of his favorite virtual plane, and he won't even know how to start the thing, let alone fly it.

Just enjoy the game. Arguing about game settings and calling people out on the game settings they prefer is ridiculously ******ed!

fordfan25
05-29-2007, 07:29 PM
well i know for me i like tags/icons on because i have a smallish monitor and it makes id'ing planes very hard. case in poing in ZvsW i shot down a p-38 in a head on because i thought it was a betty. we were at a high rate of speed. best i could tell is it was a double prop heading at a friendly carrier. that was an extreem example because 99% of the time i could see the deff just at that angle and speed i had a secound to look and just could not tell. other times in spitvs109 i killed a p40 from a 6 as i thought it was a 109. the landing gear strut that hangs down below the wings looked like the air inlets of a 109. dogface "my squad M8" was the piolet and was a bit up set lol. wich is why i hang at warclouds mostly. the settings fit me better. now if i had a nice swnk big LCD and sli pc ect i would love the no tags servers.

leitmotiv
05-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by LStarosta:
If you want to stroke your ego by saying you fly full real, then fly a real airplane. Until then, STFU and color. Il-2 is an arcade game, and calling anything full real is a frickin joke.

Case in point:

Put an Il-2 "pilot" in the real life equivalent of his favorite virtual plane, and he won't even know how to start the thing, let alone fly it.

Just enjoy the game. Arguing about game settings and calling people out on the game settings they prefer is ridiculously ******ed!

Completely agree. A friend of mine junked all his sims but X-PLANE and started flying lessons (and nearly killed himself and his instructor: instructor asked for a 360, he got agitated and looped the Cessna nearly giving the instructor a cardiac---of course the C was not stressed for loops).

I use "full realism" just because it's more immersive, not out of snobbery. When I want to really "fly" a 109, I strap on the Flight Replicas K in FSX.

slappedsilly
05-29-2007, 07:50 PM
In a real plane the pilot has peripheral vision.
Even in the "wonder women" view this game only gives you about 1/50th of the RL view. Also "full real" would definately be a bit messy for my living room. I have never flown a fixed wing plane, and even though many here may have, I bet there are very, very few of us that have flown a real war bird.

MrMojok
05-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Im one of those who started out playing the game offline with a bunch of the aids enabled. Hell, I flew with the cockpit off for six months. Since then, I have come to dearly love the Warclouds-type setup with cockpit on, tight icons and no padlock. I even use the exact Warclouds settings, icons included, offline now.

But every once in a while, I still like to start an offline campaign and turn realistic gunnery off. It's like I'm in a Hollywood movie, de-winging and exploding planes left and right. It's FUN!

I tend to do this in spurts, like when I know I won't be going online for a while, because it tends to really mess with my gunnery skills.

But the point I am trying to make here, is we all bought this game. Everyone has the right to do whatever they want with their realism settings. I bought Pacific Fighters, then the Ace Expansion Pack, then the 'Complete Edition' dvd, and then two copies of IL2 1946. Add in my X52, my soon-to-be-purchased TrackIR, my lighted keyboard, and I have spent about $550 bucks on my little pasttime here.

You better believe *I* am gonna play it how I want http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

erco415
05-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Case in point:

Actually, I could. But agreed 100% on enjoying the game. Whatever makes you happy is cool, there's room for all of us.

Shoop_da_whoop
05-29-2007, 08:37 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what are we talking about here? (consider that i'm getting my game and stick Thursday so I don't really know all the mechanics of the game and such)

Stew278
05-29-2007, 08:42 PM
I agree with what has been said here. If you're flying offline set it however you want. If you're online find a server with settings you like. If you think externals or padlock are cheating, then avoid servers that allow it.

I used to fly with fairly easy settings at first then ratcheted things up as I got better to keep the challenge going. I still fly with externals when I'm offline because there's no point in having all these great skins for your plane if you never get to see them.

I like the settings that Warclouds uses too. If only the Warclouds pilots were as lousy as the AI pilots so I could actually win some fights.

BSS_Sniper
05-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
Its only an issue when someone makes it an issue, such as yourself. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif People should play the game how they like, whatever is more fun then them. I still dont understand why people feel the need to justify or make excuses for the settings they fly. Feeling guilty or less of a man? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

You sum it up wonderfully! lol
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

MrMojok
05-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Stew278:
I still fly with externals when I'm offline because there's no point in having all these great skins for your plane if you never get to see them.

I meant to add that in my post but I forgot, Stew. I agree 100%-- the game is too damn pretty to not use externals offline!

VW-IceFire
05-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Shoop_da_whoop:
If you don't mind me asking, what are we talking about here? (consider that i'm getting my game and stick Thursday so I don't really know all the mechanics of the game and such)
Some folks like to look down their noses at other people who fly on "lesser settings" such as with externals enabled or the virtual cockpit mode which removes the cockpit and puts up a virtual HUD sort of like a more modern jet fighter. All of these modes are configurable and in the online world are set by the server.

Some people think that only the full difficulty mode is worth flying, some people turn on a few options, I personally prefer to have the externals going but with the virtual cockpit off, and some people just want the whole thing with the externals and virtual cockpit and unlimited ammo and all of those things.

I disagree with the people who think all of that is a bad thing. Options are made so that people with different interests and skill levels can jump in and enjoy themselves. Thats what something like IL-2 is meant for...entertainment...so as I said before...whatever is entertaining to you is just fine. Enjoy the game however you like and enjoy the servers with the settings you like. The ones you don't like should still be respected no matter what.

The one caveat I have is that different servers and different settings change the nature of the battle. A plane that is excellent in a "full stop" or "full real" (kinda hard to call it that) environment tends not to do as well in the "arcade" dogfight servers as the style of play is different and the dynamics are different. So my one gripe is people that only fly one way and **** a plane because its "useless" also bother me. So for instance the P-51D Mustang which is an excellent high altitude fighter, a very good medium altitude fighter and has an excellent all around view is a very potent and powerful plane on all accounts in a "full stop" server because externals are off and the cockpit is very important. But in a "arcade" server where the settings are different the P-51D is less useful as much of the fighting tends to be lower to the ground, featuring more combatants at the same time, and the all around view and performance don't matter as much. These are all perfectly legitimate ways of playing so long as the people involved respect the different styles and understand the differences that each play style invokes.

I realize thats long winded but I hope it gives you a bit of an idea whats going on. Bottom line...no matter what your skill level is there are servers out there for you to fly on. Just make sure you read the rules and be a decent sport about it. Its really a great time...especially if you can get a microphone setup and Teamspeak or Ventrillo going....absolute blast.

Airmail109
05-29-2007, 08:51 PM

I think you totally missed the point of my post http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And no I don't feel any less of a man http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

EiZ0N
05-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Heh, true.

Although, something tells me the Il-2 "pilot" would have had an edge over his contemporaries if signing up for flying service in WW2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Viper2005_
05-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Aimail101:

I mean i don't need externals, I fly blindfolded and plug my neural system into the internet and "feel the packets"

F6 allowed/WW view allowed/whatever you want to call it is a totally different game from cockpit on.

In F6 land there is no such thing as a bounce (unless your target is asleep). Thus, the F6 guys are really good at BFM, because fundamentally that's what their game is all about.

If you're forced to fly in your cockpit, with no recourse to F6, life is all about SA. Probably 90% of the time, BFM doesn't enter the equation.

If you're a ground pounder, you'll sneak into the targets via a non-obvious route, and nobody will ever see you.

If you're a fighter pilot then you'll fly around for a while at high altitude and then swoop down on some unsuspecting bandit for a single pass. If you're a good shot then you'll score a kill, either instantly or in say 5 minutes when the crippled aircraft (crash)lands.

Personally, I find the latter far more interesting than F6 flying.

At the end of the day, I know that I'll never be better than the upper end of mediocre when it comes to BFM. By flying full switch I can offset that with good SA and sneaky routes to target. It also makes aircraft selection much more interesting, since cockpit design becomes key to success, especially when you step beyond WC settings and actually fly full switch; some aircraft have better ergonomics than others!

Now, I wouldn't say that F6 flying is any less of a challenge than cockpit on flying. But I would say that it is a totally different challenge. The best analogy I can come up with is rally and F1. Fundamentally both are all about driving, but the two sports are clearly totally different.

As such, I don't get the whole attitude thing. Personally I fly WC settings or full switch most of the time. I expect that if I went into F6 land I'd be eaten for breakfast since my BFM is no more than mediocre. OTOH, if the F6 aces came out into full switch land I'm equally certain that I'd knock them down like ninepins because they'd never see me coming. So what?

Airmail109
05-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Viper2005_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:

F6 allowed/WW view allowed/whatever you want to call it is a totally different game from cockpit on.

In F6 land there is no such thing as a bounce (unless your target is asleep). Thus, the F6 guys are really good at BFM, because fundamentally that's what their game is all about.

If you're forced to fly in your cockpit, with no recourse to F6, life is all about SA. probably 90% of the time, BFM doesn't enter the equation. If you're a ground pounder, you'll sneak into the targets via a non-obvious route, and nobody will ever see you.

If you're a fighter pilot then you'll fly around for a while at high altitude and then swoop down on some unsuspecting bandit for a single pass. If you're a good shot then you'll score a kill, either instantly or in say 5 minutes when the crippled aircraft lands.

Personally, I find the latter far more interesting than F6 flying. At the end of the day, I know that I'll never be better than the upper end of mediocre when it comes to BFM. By flying full switch I can offset that with good SA and sneaky routes to target. It also makes aircraft selection much more interesting, since cockpit design becomes key to success, especially when you step beyond WC settings and actually fly full switch; some aircraft have better ergonomics than others!

Now, I wouldn't say that F6 flying is any less of a challenge than cockpit on flying. But I would say that it is a totally different challenge. The best analogy I can come up with is rally and F1. Fundamentally both are all about driving, but the two sports are clearly totally different.

As such, I don't get the whole attitude thing. Personally I fly WC settings or full switch most of the time. I expect that if I went into F6 land I'd be eaten for breakfast since my BFM is no more than mediocre. OTOH, if the F6 aces came out into full switch land I'm equally certain that I'd knock them down like ninepins because they'd never see me coming. So what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I even say what I flew. I actually fly full switch. I'm just ripping the guys who berate others who dont and go around talking about how much better full real is. That is all.

Other than that you make some good points

AKA_TAGERT
05-29-2007, 09:20 PM

I'm not snobby about it though What is so hard about this?

It's easy!

The answer has been right there in front of you the whole time..

I am better than you.

Airmail109
05-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:

It's easy!

I am better than you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once I have a gaming pc thats running

One v One

We'll then see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In fact I think Ive shot you down on Zeke versus wildcat's before

AKA_TAGERT
05-29-2007, 09:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:

It's easy!

One v One

We'll then see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh, sorry, thought you were talking about looks.. not game skilz

Airmail109
05-29-2007, 09:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:

It's easy!

One v One

We'll then see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh, sorry, thought you were talking about looks.. not game skilz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I look like Brad Pit

Shoop_da_whoop
05-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Damn, this forum might argue a lot but I have not asked one question that didn't get a good and pro response. Damn impressive community when it comes to help.

AKA_TAGERT
05-29-2007, 09:25 PM

It's easy!

One v One

We'll then see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh, sorry, thought you were talking about looks.. not game skilz </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I look like Brad Pit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Heavy on the PIT Im sure

Airmail109
05-29-2007, 09:27 PM

It's easy!

One v One

I look like Brad Pit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Heavy on the PIT Im sure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have pathological narcissism

AKA_TAGERT
05-29-2007, 09:29 PM

It's easy!

One v One

I look like Brad Pit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Heavy on the PIT Im sure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have pathological narcissism </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actully I call mine Mr. happy

LStarosta
05-29-2007, 09:30 PM

It's easy!

One v One

I'm just hot.

Airmail109
05-29-2007, 09:31 PM

It's easy!

One v One

I'm just hot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My John Thomas is bigger than yours

AKA_TAGERT
05-29-2007, 09:33 PM

It's easy!

One v One

I'm just hot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>OLDS is on the history ch talking about how he waxxed a 109 in a 38.. got to go! I love a happy ending!

LStarosta
05-29-2007, 09:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:

It's easy!

One v One

My John Thomas is bigger than yours </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but my p3nis is bigger than yours.

Airmail109
05-29-2007, 09:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LStarosta:

It's easy!

One v One

Yes, but my p3nis is bigger than yours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif theyre one and the same http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

LStarosta
05-29-2007, 09:37 PM

It's easy!

One v One

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif theyre one and the same http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Impossible!

Airmail109
05-29-2007, 09:38 PM

It's easy!

One v One

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif theyre one and the same http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Impossible! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got chart to validate your claim?

LStarosta
05-29-2007, 09:58 PM

It's easy!

One v One

Got chart to validate your claim? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.nature.com/nrd/journal/v4/n12/images/nrd1906-i2.jpg

MrMojok
05-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Can somebody delete the stupid quote pyramid that destroyed this thread, please? There were things worth talking about in here before.

crazyivan1970
05-29-2007, 10:55 PM
WTH is this? Quoting contest?

MrMojok
05-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Can you please just delete all that, Ivan?

I think this is a good thread. There were some very good posts before that. And I don't mean mine.

WOLFMondo
05-30-2007, 12:11 AM
I just don't like F6 aces with server that have external views. Can't sneak up on anyone, can't hide from anyone, can't boom and zoom anyone...

Banger2004
05-30-2007, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shoop_da_whoop:
Some folks like to look down their noses at other people who fly on "lesser settings" such as with externals enabled or the virtual cockpit mode which removes the cockpit and puts up a virtual HUD sort of like a more modern jet fighter. All of these modes are configurable and in the online world are set by the server.

Some people think that only the full difficulty mode is worth flying, some people turn on a few options, I personally prefer to have the externals going but with the virtual cockpit off, and some people just want the whole thing with the externals and virtual cockpit and unlimited ammo and all of those things.

I disagree with the people who think all of that is a bad thing. Options are made so that people with different interests and skill levels can jump in and enjoy themselves. Thats what something like IL-2 is meant for...entertainment...so as I said before...whatever is entertaining to you is just fine. Enjoy the game however you like and enjoy the servers with the settings you like. The ones you don't like should still be respected no matter what.

The one caveat I have is that different servers and different settings change the nature of the battle. A plane that is excellent in a "full stop" or "full real" (kinda hard to call it that) environment tends not to do as well in the "arcade" dogfight servers as the style of play is different and the dynamics are different. So my one gripe is people that only fly one way and **** a plane because its "useless" also bother me. So for instance the P-51D Mustang which is an excellent high altitude fighter, a very good medium altitude fighter and has an excellent all around view is a very potent and powerful plane on all accounts in a "full stop" server because externals are off and the cockpit is very important. But in a "arcade" server where the settings are different the P-51D is less useful as much of the fighting tends to be lower to the ground, featuring more combatants at the same time, and the all around view and performance don't matter as much. These are all perfectly legitimate ways of playing so long as the people involved respect the different styles and understand the differences that each play style invokes.

I realize thats long winded but I hope it gives you a bit of an idea whats going on. Bottom line...no matter what your skill level is there are servers out there for you to fly on. Just make sure you read the rules and be a decent sport about it. Its really a great time...especially if you can get a microphone setup and Teamspeak or Ventrillo going....absolute blast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely spot on. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

MEGILE
05-30-2007, 04:42 AM

Case in point:

Starosta 2008!

mortoma
05-30-2007, 05:31 AM
I have been flying this sim, ( mostly offline ) ever since the demo versions came out and I still prefer to use icons. And I don't care who knows it. It may not be realistic in most ways, but you can identify friend or foe at distances that more closely reflect reality, with icons on. In RL aircraft can be identified at far greater distances ( if you have good eyesight ) than you can in game with no icons. I used to fly civie Pipers/Cessnas and for a while a Bonanza, and let me tell you, I could ident other aircraft from afar. I could tell a C152 from a 172 from about two miles out. In this game, a simulated aircraft is no more than a dot at two miles no matter how good your graphics or resolution.

K_Freddie
05-30-2007, 05:50 AM
Come on dingbat... when people say 'full real' it's with regard to the game settings, not real life. AND it's more difficult on the PC than in real life for obvious reasons, except one doesn't die.

Why you must always jump on your bouncing ball about this is... beyond you.

Full real (game) settings it is then, and it's the best. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

MrMojok
05-30-2007, 05:59 AM
If the quote stupidity isn't going to be deleted, and this idiocy is going to be allowed to remain, then in the spirit of the discussion, let me add this:

I'll use icons as I please. If I want to, I'll make all P-47s have a pink hello kitty skin. It's my game. If you don't like it, go **** yourself.

mynameisroland
05-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
I just don't like F6 aces with server that have external views. Can't sneak up on anyone, can't hide from anyone, can't boom and zoom anyone...

I dont agree with this comment, you can boom and zoom and you can sneak up because F6 can be limited in its effective range. There is also F6 saturation. In a multiple plane fight F6 is useless and SA becomes very important. I boom and zoom on F6 servers, yes sure you get a lot of people magically pulling evasives as you are about to open fire but you learn the evasives and counter them by good shooting. In effect attacking a fighter that pulls an evasive is just like high speed deflection shooting. Imo its easier to score kills on Full Real server AND survive. On F6 enabled you have few options of escape other than team work, straight line speed or manuvering.

mortoma
05-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Who are you calling a "dingbat", K_Freddie?? Anyway, when an air battle is over, it's nice to see who is on your side. I like to fly off after friendlies when RTB'ing. Very disconcerting to fly up to enemies and try to get in formation with them. In this way icons in a way make the game more realistic, since in the war you could tell a P-51 from a 109 from a great distance. Not so in the game. This is why icons are needed for me. Plus, I have an old rig that forces me to use low resolution with poor graphic settings. Making it even more necessary for me than for others.

MrMojok
05-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Viper2005_:If you're a fighter pilot then you'll fly around for a while at high altitude and then swoop down on some unsuspecting bandit for a single pass. If you're a good shot then you'll score a kill, either instantly or in say 5 minutes when the crippled aircraft (crash)lands.

This is precisely why I like servers with no externals. It makes it more like the famous real-life stat: that about 80% of the time in WWII, when a guy got shot down he either never saw his attacker, or he didn't see him until the attacker had gained a postion of decisive advantage.

This never happens to someone in an F6 server.

And don't get me wrong, F6 servers are a lot of fun. They just don't do a lot to simulate the above situation.

Offline is another matter. You have exactly 0% chance of swooping down out of the sun and surprising an AI opponent. If he hasn't done the break by the time you get into maximum firing range, that just means he's going to do it exactly when you reach your gun convergence distance. Exactly, to the second.

That's another reason why I like to turn realistic gunnery off, against those sons of b1tches. I like to see their cheating AI *** burn.

Daiichidoku
05-30-2007, 06:58 AM
i fly both

im 90% in arcade though, as after one or two flights in FR im usually burned out from constantly being on alert and concentrating intently and staring into my monitor at 2.3mm distance to spot a dot

i find arguments either way inane

BOTH have good and bad points, both compensate in certain areas, giving a "realism" factor....both have limitations that make it decidedly "unreal"

both are great learning tools for the other

anyone who says one is better than the other need his head examined

Tab_Flettner
05-30-2007, 07:02 AM
I fly blindfolded and plug my neural system into the internet and "feel the packets"

I thought this wasn't going to be enabled until the next patch, along with the new default skins?

Tab_Flettner
05-30-2007, 07:05 AM
WTH is this? Quoting contest?

Not as far as I'm aware. I thought as an admin you'd be aware of such contests before they launched?

K_Freddie
05-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:
Who are you calling a "dingbat", K_Freddie?? Anyway, when an air battle is over, it's nice to see who is on your side. I like to fly off after friendlies when RTB'ing. Very disconcerting to fly up to enemies and try to get in formation with them. In this way icons in a way make the game more realistic, since in the war you could tell a P-51 from a 109 from a great distance. Not so in the game. This is why icons are needed for me. Plus, I have an old rig that forces me to use low resolution with poor graphic settings. Making it even more necessary for me than for others.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Just having a jovial dig. I used to fly on a lot on 640x480 with max video settings, now on 800x600 with max. a/c id takes a bit of practice. Depending on the map - if you approach an airfield and everything is shooting at you.. oops wrong place http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

We have a few new guys who start on our easy server (full unreal), but as the action is always on the Full Real server they come across and within 2 to 3 months they on a par with the rest.
It's just a matter of 'flying' differently, nothing more. I also pop onto easy servers for fun.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

MrMojok
05-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Tab_Flettner:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I fly blindfolded and plug my neural system into the internet and "feel the packets"

I thought this wasn't going to be enabled until the next patch, along with the new default skins? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That will happen when the FW190 'bar' is finally removed. Scheduled for version/patch 4.oh-never

MEGILE
05-30-2007, 07:33 AM

It's easy!

One v One

Got chart to validate your claim? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.nature.com/nrd/journal/v4/n12/images/nrd1906-i2.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I pressed the quote button

Blood_Splat
05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
http://img.search.com/c/cd/300px-Val_Kilmer_Iceman_Top_Gun.jpg

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-30-2007, 07:47 AM
I fly online exclusively.

I prefer full-difficulty servers.

Arcade, IMO, is having icons.

I don't like externals (unless there are AI heavies to be piloted).

I don't fly as much as I used to.

Vulching is me letting my figurative hair down...and it's fun.

I like to leave an air-fight with 3 opponents smoking and let them die slowly.

I flew P-39's and P-47's back when they suxed.

I like to fight Spits in 109's.

I don't like Mk108's though I still use them...rarely.

Competitions, Coops, Mega-Missions, and online wars are where it's at now...period.

More Zen and thoughts later. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

TB

MrMojok
05-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Megile, you bast4rd!!

Crash_Moses
05-30-2007, 08:24 AM

Case in point:

I believe the term "Full Real" is meant to be taken in the context of the game. I don't think anyone here has made the mistake of actually thinking that what we experience in the dim glow of our CRTs comes close to what an actual WWII pilot experienced.

That said, I prefer full real on-line but I enjoy the mini-map path and externals off-line (mostly as an aid to navigation). But there's nothing wrong with less "realistic" settings...especially if one is just learning the game.

Interestingly, I've found the full real servers tend to attract enthusiasts more...ahem...my age.

S!

LStarosta
05-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
Megile, you bast4rd!!

Now now, this has the potential of gettin' ugly.

Philipscdrw
05-30-2007, 08:34 AM
(And that's Tagert's cue to remind the world of his radiant beauty.)

Originally posted by Shoop_da_whoop:
Damn, this forum might argue a lot but I have not asked one question that didn't get a good and pro response. Damn impressive community when it comes to help. Ah, the arguing and bickering is 98% non-serious I think, except over one or two issues...

crucislancer
05-30-2007, 10:22 AM
I agree with many folks here that you set it up the options the way you want, it's a game for your enjoyment. I don't fly online, thanks to lack of a decent connection, but I think if I did I would start out with a server that had at the very least icons, perhaps even padlock. It's tough as hell to see friend from foe most of the time unless you are right on them. The rest would be full-switch. I like the thought of maybe performing a good bounce on someone without worrying about whether he's going to see me with some external view. Or, even getting bounced myself.

Offline, I tend to fly with icons, padlock, externals, minipath, and speed bar enabled, as well as turning off "No Instant Success". The AI have tons of advantage, so I'm going to take some of that back. I used to turn off "Realistic Gunnery", but I got to the point where it wasn't as challenging for me, it was all quantity rather then quality.

But, that's just me. I think it's totally cool to play the game with all the options turned off, if that's what you want. I do that every now and then when I'm in a particularly destructive mood, makes for a good stress reliever to blow up a bunch of planes and ground targets. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

taraska1
05-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I think you have to be realistick,flying is art on itself,mashinery the other thing,experiance is the third,and your PC and gadgets the fourth.There will be always someone out there who has all four ,because he is intence busy with it and much longer than you,if you dont wanna be frustrated just practice,if you think you are good ,go on line.if you have the feeling you are shot too often ,check your theory and the gadgets you use.In my case I know that I ame not bad, but my devices are primitive and still its fun ,because challange is bigger,only I would like to get better screen,but this stuff never stops, its also the meaning,so dont ask to many questions just accept that there are very experiance people out there and you gonna lirn.cheers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

BSS_Sniper
05-30-2007, 01:36 PM
I have been flying this sim, ( mostly offline ) ever since the demo versions came out and I still prefer to use icons. And I don't care who knows it. It may not be realistic in most ways, but you can identify friend or foe at distances that more closely reflect reality, with icons on. In RL aircraft can be identified at far greater distances ( if you have good eyesight ) than you can in game with no icons. I used to fly civie Pipers/Cessnas and for a while a Bonanza, and let me tell you, I could ident other aircraft from afar. I could tell a C152 from a 172 from about two miles out. In this game, a simulated aircraft is no more than a dot at two miles no matter how good your graphics or resolution.

I beg to differ with you! I've talked about this with other guys in the squad I fly in, that are commercial pilots as well. One of the things I dislike here is that you can spot aircraft A LOT easier in here than IRL. I highly doubt, respectfully, that you can tell the difference between a 152 and 172 at 2 miles. There's no haze or anything other than blobs of clouds to interfere with spotting aircraft in this sim. It's pretty bad as far as this is concerned in this sim, to the point of having superhuman vision.

BSS_Sniper
05-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Again, its way easier in this game to see aircraft than in real life. Have you ever had to do it? Even when I have ATC giving me direction and distance, its hard to find them. Before you start saying anything, yes, I have 20/20.

stalkervision
05-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:

Case in point:

Completely agree. A friend of mine junked all his sims but X-PLANE and started flying lessons (and nearly killed himself and his instructor: instructor asked for a 360, he got agitated and looped the Cessna nearly giving the instructor a cardiac---of course the C was not stressed for loops).

I use "full realism" just because it's more immersive, not out of snobbery. When I want to really "fly" a 109, I strap on the Flight Replicas K in FSX. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This I wished I had seen... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

but from the ground and listening in on their vhf radio.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Stew278
05-30-2007, 02:02 PM
It does seem like in the game it is easier that in real life to see planes against the sky because they are dark dots against a light backdrop.
However, when you are flying above planes in game it is very easy to lose them against the terrain. I doubt the camouflage was as effective in reality as it sometimes seems here. I've lost track of VVS twin-engined bombers that were only 1km away when they flew over some forest. In real life you'd have the occasional glint of reflected light, depth of field, and the movement of the plane against a stationary backdrop to aid you in spotting it.
For this reason I leave icons available as an option. I fly with the icons off so I can get my SA and target ID skills developed for "full real" servers, but I leave myself the option of toggling the icons back on in case one of those VVS bombers activates its cloaking device.

BaronUnderpants
05-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by WOLFMondo:

I fly differant settings, both cockpit on and off but thats why i LIKE WW...u cant hide. If u stumble on someone close enough u better fight or get chased across the map. Its more down to flyingskills and experiance ( please read this right and u all will know what i mean...remember, in WW u cant just roll over and melt into the ground texture, or use your cloaking devise as said above ) than if your enemy saw u or not. Realistic? No. Fun? Yes.

Visebillity is a non factor, something that sucks bigtime in a Fw190 with cockpit on for ex ( very easy to lose track of somone in the middle of a DF.. leave the "Dont DF in a FW190" at the door, pretty please http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif...in wich case no amount of flyingskill will help u if HE can still see U. )

And B&Z in WW?... sure, i do it all the time. the F6 is very much negated by the fact that u can do some really insane deflection shooting in WW. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The most "arcadish" thing about WW servers in my book is the lack of red and blue side. u really need to put your thinkingcap on when u come across a unfriendly Spit25, a P-47D and a FW190 D9..at the same time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Cockpit on? well, as others allredy said, that is something differant...in a differant way and eaqualy fun.....in a differant way http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

We all have differant taste and turning it into a pi**ing contest is just lame.

VMF-214_HaVoK
05-30-2007, 02:56 PM

Case in point:

LOL! Another prime example of a roundabout excuse as to way you dont fly FR. Why insult people for a simple phrase. Trust me...nobody here believes FR is really full real. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Its a a simple figure of speech and if you would take note at the difficulty setting menu you would notice the word realistic. So what do you get when you switch on all the realistic settings? Thats right, full real. The only ones who make a big deal about settings and so called elitism is the arcade flyers. You dont dont see those who prefer FR settings in here displaying anger and hostility towards arcade fliers. Please point me in the direction if you have witnessed it. The FR fliers dont care about the settings you fly and any form of so called elitism is in your head. And further more every single thread pertaining to this crazy issue is started by? You guessed it, the arcade fliers. And I do think your last sentence is contradicting your first.

Oh and btw, I fly Full Real. Phew man your right, I just had to stroke the old ego. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

LStarosta
05-30-2007, 03:02 PM

Case in point:

LOL! Another prime example of a roundabout excuse as to way you dont fly FR. Why insult people for a simple phrase. Trust me...nobody here believes FR is really full real. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Its a a simple figure of speech and if you would take note at the difficulty setting menu you would notice the word realistic. So what do you get when you switch on all the realistic settings? Thats right, full real. The only ones who make a big deal about settings and so called elitism is the arcade flyers. You dont dont see those who prefer FR settings in here displaying anger and hostility towards arcade fliers. Please point me in the direction if you have witnessed it. The FR fliers dont care about the settings you fly and any form of so called elitism is in your head. And further more every single thread pertaining to this crazy issue is started by? You guessed it, the arcade fliers. And I do think your last sentence is contradicting your first.

Oh and btw, I fly Full Real. Phew man your right, I just had to stroke the old ego. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want some kleenex to clean up after yourself?

In case you need help reading what I wrote: regardless of what settings you play the game on, it's still a game so enjoy it. Maybe you'd get that if you didn't interject your own assumptions as to what settings I play the game with.

"excuse as to way you dont fly FR"

Haha knewbie-talk.

BSS_Sniper
05-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Stew278:
It does seem like in the game it is easier that in real life to see planes against the sky because they are dark dots against a light backdrop.
However, when you are flying above planes in game it is very easy to lose them against the terrain. I doubt the camouflage was as effective in reality as it sometimes seems here. I've lost track of VVS twin-engined bombers that were only 1km away when they flew over some forest. In real life you'd have the occasional glint of reflected light, depth of field, and the movement of the plane against a stationary backdrop to aid you in spotting it.
For this reason I leave icons available as an option. I fly with the icons off so I can get my SA and target ID skills developed for "full real" servers, but I leave myself the option of toggling the icons back on in case one of those VVS bombers activates its cloaking device.

I will have to agree with you on that point Stew. I lose aircraft when flying directly over top if they are over woods. Good point. I still stand by my opinion on the rest though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BSS_Sniper
05-30-2007, 03:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:

Case in point:

Oh and btw, I fly Full Real. Phew man your right, I just had to stroke the old ego. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want some kleenex to clean up after yourself?

In case you need help reading what I wrote, that regardless of what settings you play the game on, it's still a game so enjoy it. Maybe you'd get that if you didn't interject your own assumptions as to what settings I play the game wiith, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"If you want to stroke your ego by saying you fly full real, then fly a real airplane. Until then, STFU and color. Il-2 is an arcade game, and calling anything full real is a frickin joke."

Havok was refering to that bit of displayed rage from you LStarosta. Also, just for Sh**s and giggles, not only could I start the plane, I could fly it and shoot all the arcade players down in it, even with my RL padlock head and an icon banner being towed behind me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

LStarosta
05-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Rage?

I'm down like a clown Ch-charlie Brown.

BSS_Sniper
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Rage?

I'm down like a clown Ch-charlie Brown.

Maybe I misinturperted the STFU part. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

LStarosta
05-30-2007, 03:34 PM
I guess I should have included this smilie ---> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

msalama
05-30-2007, 11:43 PM
When I want to really "fly" a 109, I strap on the Flight Replicas K in FSX.

Eh... "fly" indeed unless your FSX Messer replicates something like the following too:

In preparation for the HH proper, we will fly the "Climb & Dive" exercise: Set aerobatic power (80cm + 82%). Let the aircraft accelerate to a steady speed and ensure that the slip ball is centered (no slip or skid). Now, look straight ahead and pull back on the stick until you have achieved a pitch up of 30 or 40 degrees. Look at one wingtip and then the other and check that they look the same with respect to the horizon. (adjust with coordinated movement of aileron and rudder if not). Keeping you feet absolutely still and not allowing the rudder to move at all, return the stick to the elevator-neutral position. The ball should still be about centered.

As you sit there, speed reducing, look at the airspeed and the slip ball. As speed reduces, the ball will move to the left, further and further. At a speed just above the spin entry speed (say 120 kph) push forward to level flight while still looking at the slip ball. Now it is hard over against the left edge of the tube right? Why? - Because as the speed reduced, the fin & rudder became less effective at counteracting the torque, 'P' factor and gyroscopic precession of the engine & prop. The P' factor and torque are the dominant forces as you maintain constant pitch and the aircraft slows in the climb. The precession is dominant during the change of pitch as you push to level flight.

Now let's do that again, this time though, use the rudder to keep the ball in the center. You will find that at the point of minimum speed, as you push to level flight, you have close to full left rudder applied to keep the aircraft straight!

http://home.elmore.rr.com/yak52world/spinning.htm

So in conclusion I'd say the MSFSxxx series is a great tool for AC systems management, ILS approach training, flying under sub-optimal weather, etc. but as regards propeller- and engine-induced effects it frankly speaking doesn't reproduce most of them at all (FS2004 doesn't at any rate, and to my knowledge they didn't address the issue in FSX either). Oh, the better birds surely have a bit of torque so that's modelled, true, but what about those other effects? Non-existent in every FS2004 warbird I've ever tried, pay- or freeware, whereas IL-2 v4.xx actually reproduces them pretty convincingly...

Yah, I know I'm always bickering about this, but that's just the way it is... me being the nerd that I am and all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

All different if you're flying the (modern) big iron, though. Can't beat MSFS for that!