PDA

View Full Version : faster system, worse performance?

The_Gorey
08-30-2006, 12:47 PM
i upgraded a week or two ago, and now the game is unplayable.

before:
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2400+
MOBO: Asus A7V8X
VID: GeForce 6800oc
RAM: 2GB PC2700 DDR

now:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4600+ (Dual-Core Skt AM2)
MOBO: Asus Crosshair
VID: Geforce 7950GX2 1GB (Dual Vid Card)
RAM: 2GB PC2 6400 DDR2

my FPS are high, but everything seems jittery, almost like a slideshow.

any suggestions?

Crash_Moses
08-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Sounds like a heat problem. Try opening up the case and putting a fan on it to see if that helps...other than that I dunno...

The_Gorey
08-30-2006, 01:18 PM
not a heat problem, im running around 30 degrees celsius.

i have 4 case fans. (2 in the front sucking, 2 in the back blowing).

don't have this problem with any other game.

could it be the game not liking dual core cpu's?

Crash_Moses
08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Could be. Don't know much about that stuff yet. Here's a discussion that's been going on awhile. Maybe you can find a clue here.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/2621085274

I feel for ya. Can't imagine having such a nice rig and then not being able to play PF. I mean, life ceases to have meaning...

edit: You should try the technical support forum too (formerly the community help forum). I betcha those folks could hook you up fast...

ytareh
08-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I think people are having trouble with the 7950s ,you might try a search on that.

Divine-Wind
08-30-2006, 02:03 PM
I think that might be it. Do other games have the same problem?

EJGrOst_Caspar
08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Be sure to have the newest mainboard and chipset drivers running! I accidentially had only Windows basic ones and thats why my AGP 8x was disabled and only working as old PCI mode. Was running only half the framerates of which I get now - for 2 years! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

triad773
08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
I stumbled on this that looks pretty useful:
Dual Core Gaming Fix Guide
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781

Looks pretty good: it mentions the Affinity Mask thing too.

LEBillfish
08-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Ever have an old game, that ran on say Dos, or Win3.1.....and you thought "hey for kicks I'll reinstall it"?.....Only to find if it ran at all it was skipping and jerking all over the place, perhaps even at 10x speed?

Well, it is possible that systems are creeping up on that mark with sims as old as the IL2 series......Possible, not assured.....

If not (and most likely not there yet).....I've often found those pesky background programs and the like have a lot to do with it......Plus, simply getting everything working together well which in itself can be a daunting task....

Here's a good start for the background stuff....I personally run my PC with most stuff off on startup, it manually turned on when I need it.....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=331796

VW-IceFire
08-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by JG52_Gutted:
i upgraded a week or two ago, and now the game is unplayable.

before:
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2400+
MOBO: Asus A7V8X
VID: GeForce 6800oc
RAM: 2GB PC2700 DDR

now:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4600+ (Dual-Core Skt AM2)
MOBO: Asus Crosshair
VID: Geforce 7950GX2 1GB (Dual Vid Card)
RAM: 2GB PC2 6400 DDR2

my FPS are high, but everything seems jittery, almost like a slideshow.

any suggestions?
You might want to check this thread: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/2621085274

Lots of folks were having trouble with the new dual core systems. AMD has already stepped upto the plate with a solution for that. Its not everywhere yet but you may want to try it. Newer games aren't going to be a problem but older games (PF is technically based on a 7 year old engine) may. Lots of people were reporting good success with the tweak.

I know the drivers for the new GeForce weren't all that mature yet either and there were performance and compatibility issues. The cards only been on the market for what...4 weeks now? Its new so its going to have a short little break in period where the drivers get alot better. You can bet that your experience in say 3 months will be incredible but right now you might hit some bumps because you're so bleeding edge.

The_Gorey
08-30-2006, 08:49 PM
thanks for the info guys, i'll look into all the provided links.

it's weird though, because i turned on the fps meter via the console and it's definately not a framerate problem.

as far as having this problem with other games? none. i can play pretty much anything at 1600x1200 resolution with everything cranked to the max and they run silky smooth (Oblivion looks great!)

Heavy_Metal1982
08-30-2006, 10:01 PM
That's really interesting, I was pricing out a new PC and I was planning on getting the very same video card. Although I'm more inclided to believe it's more to do with the Dual Core CPU than the video card. Even games like Call of Duty 2 had a real big problem with Dual Core, and PF could have the same issue. I would update your drivers for your motherboard and video card. I also found that if you have a PCI slot that is being used (sound card for example) try moving it to the next slot over, since that can solve some problems with game related issues.

Aesuai
08-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Yeah, it's most likely a dual core problem. We're running 3D apps at work along with the new unreal engine and have conflicts. One driver set works well with 3d apps while another driver set works better with unreal.
I'd go with the AMD dual core solution. You may want to try out the new Nvidia v93 BETA drivers. I believe they were developed with dual core in mind. They're beta, so keep that in mind.
ATI cards don't seem to be faring very well with dual core either.
Must be hardware growing pains.
Let us know how things are working out, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VF2_Sarge
08-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Gutted

you and I have about the same pc. Go to the AMD site. There you will find a dual core update, install it adn you'll be good to go. I had the same problem.

Cheers.

WB_Outlaw
08-31-2006, 06:15 AM
IIRC, Oleg stated a long time ago that the game has serious issues with dual CPUs. They added a processoraffinity directive in the conf.in that should be set to 1 (I think) if you have dual CPUs.

Also, games that directly use the timer on the CPU (bypassing the OS timer) will have problems with dual CPUs b/c each CPU has it's own timer and they may be different. The AMD dual core fix synchronizes the two timers.

--Outlaw.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-31-2006, 08:52 AM
The 7950's are GREAT cards. The drivers for them are still in their infancy though. A number of people have had minor issues with them but have been able to iron them out with chipset updates and frsh driver installs. I think there was one person that actually got the beta drivers from guru3D and it solved his problems.

Don't give up on it Gutted, this hardware is still fresh...besides, I'm in the midst of a new build myself (Core 2 duo + 7950 GX2) and know it's a great card for PF.

edit - here's a link from GD re: similar issues: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7061036274

TB

The_Gorey
08-31-2006, 11:10 AM
thanks for the link thunderbolt.

i see a few people have had issues with stutters in opengl with the 7950. that sounds like my problem.

going to try directx instead.

The_Gorey
08-31-2006, 12:26 PM
thats it, problem solved.

switched to directX and the game is smooth again.

thanks.

Banger2004
08-31-2006, 12:35 PM
As mentioned before, try the Beta driver Forceware 91.33. Seems to have new game profiles (including Prey), and in CustomPC mag here in the UK it made a huge difference in that game alone. Whether it will work for you and PF is another matter, but it can't hurt to try.

I am mighty interested to see how you go, I have been toying with getting one of these cards, or should I wait a few months for the DX10 capable hardware?

NonWonderDog
08-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Ever have an old game, that ran on say Dos, or Win3.1.....and you thought "hey for kicks I'll reinstall it"?.....Only to find if it ran at all it was skipping and jerking all over the place, perhaps even at 10x speed?

Well, it is possible that systems are creeping up on that mark with sims as old as the IL2 series......Possible, not assured.....

That's actually entirely due to bad programming. Lots of programmers didn't ever think anyone would try to run their program on a computer 10x faster than what they programmed it on, so they didn't even implement the simplest of tick-rate limiters. The game just runs as fast as it can, all the time. These games tended to run too fast even on a 486. Hence, the turbo button.

Other programmers did implement speed limiters. There is a small selection of old dos games that will run at normal speed on even the fastest new computer.

Indeed, the speed hacks for Counterstrike and such all simply disabled the tick-rate limiter. That's all it took to get guys running around at 3x speed.

No matter how fast new computers become, we will never reach a point where the games we have now run too fast to be playable. Nothing's programmed that poorly anymore.

WB_Outlaw
08-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by NonWonderDog:
Nothing's programmed that poorly anymore.

You obviously haven't seen the code I wrote yesterday. No human language, and only 1 of the 3 alien languages I'm aware of, can adequately express the width and breadth of the aforementioned code's "poorness".

I tried to resist but that's the way the client wanted it, so that's the way he got it.

--Outlaw.

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by JG52_Gutted:
thats it, problem solved.

switched to directX and the game is smooth again.

thanks.

Glad you got it in working order Gutted. I'd also say keep an eye out for prompt driver updates as this card is new enough (and with enough horsepower and goodies) that NV will definitely unlock more of its potential in the near future.

Also, bookmark this site: http://www.nvnews.net/ they stay on top of the NV scene pretty well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TB

keldar33b
09-04-2006, 08:52 PM
its called your squad misses you :P

you need to sacrifice a chicken and drip the blood through the fan and onto the heatsink over the cpu.