PDA

View Full Version : XP Gamer Edition - is it worth it ?

Chris0382
05-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Someone offered me a version of XP called XP Gemer Edition. It is a stripped down version of XP that is supposed to enhance FPS in game play. I believe a lot of the main components (security center etc has been removed). Has anyone tried on of these versions and seen a big difference. The reason Im asking is becasue I installed XP on a seperate partion with only the bare necessities and run FS-Autostart to remove most services. I would assume what I did was just as good and that the performance gain would be small going to the XP Gamer edition.

Anyone use the XP Gamer edition that can tell me its worth installing.

WWSensei
05-04-2007, 07:41 AM
I can tell you I don't think it's a Microsoft certified version. Least it doesn't show up in their MSDN subscription list (I have a Team Suite/Universal license).

Most of what they can do can be done by yourself and a lot of the so called "tweaks" you see around the net are nothing more than placebo effect.

x6BL_Brando
05-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Someone offered me a version of XP called XP Gemer Edition

Do you know this person? Are they wanting to charge you for it? As Sensei said, this is no legit copy of Windows, so I would back away from what may just happen to be a scam.

B

Chris0382
05-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Actually its a buddy gamer at school who uses it and said I can try it if I want. It has no internet capability etc so its just for gaming and no updates needed etc. Its mailnly to be used on a seperate partition for gaming as is.

I tried a mini-xp a few weeks ago and it was so crippled I reformatted and reinstalled the proper version.

ytareh
05-04-2007, 01:33 PM
....Never heard of it....

Ernst_Rohr
05-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
Actually its a buddy gamer at school who uses it and said I can try it if I want. It has no internet capability etc so its just for gaming and no updates needed etc.

That is an illegal bootleg. ANY XP system should have built in IP and internet. No internet is obvioulsy a dodge to get around Microsofts WGA registration and update service, which will kill bootlegs.

I wouldnt touch that "Gamer edition" with a 10 foot pole.

Treetop64
05-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Avoid it like the plague, bro.

Especially with OS's, never never never get yours from a buddy, pal, freind, stranger, etc. Always pay and get it from legit sources (retail, online stores, etc.). If you build your own system you can often get a discounted version of XP, depending on the retailer.

Besides, there is no such thing as "XP - Gamer Edition".