PDA

View Full Version : Corsair vs. F4U

HansKnappstick
01-04-2005, 03:00 AM
A couple of days ago, I got a copy of PF - a Christmass gift from a friend of mine. I patched it to 3.03.

In these days, I am, just trying things out and flying those fancy US airplanes over Pacific waves. But suddenly I noticed something strange: in the QMB, I can select F4U-A, -C, and -D, but also three other aircraft Corsair Mk I, Mk II and Mk IV (or so). Now, what is that? I thought F4U was "Corsair"?

---------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer. "Corsair" is the Trade Mark or something like that of an aircraft company the name of which escapes my mind now. The author of this post is not affiliated with any aircraft company, nor any aircraft related business. This post is not intended to promote any aviation related product.

HansKnappstick
01-04-2005, 03:00 AM
A couple of days ago, I got a copy of PF - a Christmass gift from a friend of mine. I patched it to 3.03.

In these days, I am, just trying things out and flying those fancy US airplanes over Pacific waves. But suddenly I noticed something strange: in the QMB, I can select F4U-A, -C, and -D, but also three other aircraft Corsair Mk I, Mk II and Mk IV (or so). Now, what is that? I thought F4U was "Corsair"?

Disclaimer. "Corsair" is the Trade Mark or something like that of an aircraft company the name of which escapes my mind now. The author of this post is not affiliated with any aircraft company, nor any aircraft related business. This post is not intended to promote any aviation related product.

SkyPiggies
01-04-2005, 03:26 AM
Probably the Commonwealth versions of the plane

USN/USAAF designations don't apply to other forces

WOLFMondo
01-04-2005, 03:43 AM
The Corsair Mk 1, II and IV were the British designations for the F4U A, B and D. They have slightly shortened wings (8" of each tip) so they could fit them in the Illustrious class fleet carriers. Subsequently they have slightly different flying characteristics.

HansKnappstick
01-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Thank you very much.

Old_Canuck
01-04-2005, 01:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
The Corsair Mk 1, II and IV were the British designations for the F4U A, B and D. They have slightly shortened wings (8" of each tip) so they could fit them in the Illustrious class fleet carriers. Subsequently they have slightly different flying characteristics. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Learned something new today. TY WOLFMondo.

Soooooo. HansKnappstick my old friend. Ready for some carrier practice?

Chuck_Older
01-04-2005, 01:47 PM
As a loose rule of thumb, if you see two aircraft that seem very similar, and one has Letters and numbers, and one has a name, particularly ending in "mk. II" or somesuch, you can take a fair guess that the alphanumeric designation is the US plane, and the 'nickname' plane is the British version

Bull_dog_
01-04-2005, 06:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
The Corsair Mk 1, II and IV were the British designations for the F4U A, B and D. They have slightly shortened wings (8" of each tip) so they could fit them in the Illustrious class fleet carriers. Subsequently they have slightly different flying characteristics. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wolfmondo...do you know for sure if they have different characteristics? I've done some testing, albiet not real scientific, but I swear the models all have the same flight model...particularly the A and D models which did in fact have different speeds irl, but in game, at sea level I can't seem to get one to go faster or slower than the other?

I was just wondering if you knew for sure or were stating a presumption...they should have slightly different fm...for sure

Stiglr
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Just don't be totally ignorant and call it a "sair". Corsair, F-4U, Hawg, Hose Nose, Ensign Eliminator, Bent-Wing Bird, all those are fine.

Just don't use the "idiot gamer" nickname with no historical background behind it.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

MO_JOJO
01-05-2005, 02:24 AM
What about "Cors"?

LStarosta
01-05-2005, 01:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Just don't be totally ignorant and call it a "sair". Corsair, F-4U, Hawg, Hose Nose, Ensign Eliminator, Bent-Wing Bird, all those are fine.

Just don't use the "idiot gamer" nickname with no historical background behind it.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stiglr. You're not my mommy. You can't tell me what to do.

heywooood
01-05-2005, 05:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BIOYA http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif ...and I mean that in the best possible way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG7_Rall
01-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Ah, Stiglr the elitist strikes again....

SkyChimp
01-05-2005, 06:30 PM
I agree with Stiglr. "'sair" sounds gay.

heywooood
01-05-2005, 09:54 PM
yeah...thats right - lets question the sexual preferences of the people that use the term 'sair'....thats really intellectual and original.... pffffff!*

I would have expected more from you, Chimp.

I dunno why though.....

Daiichidoku
01-06-2005, 12:30 AM
I would imagine due to the clipped wings, the RN birds have a better roll rate...at least, IRL

Not that it matters, I'd prefer flying my P-47 Nauts...and sometimes Supermarine Fires, P-38 Nings, 190 Gers, Ki84 1A Yates, Ki 42 Busas and A6M3 Ros...

Cant wait for FB/PF to bring some DH. 98 Uitos and Hawker Pests to the game

I know theres no plans that I know of, but I dream of some accurate He 219 U's oneday http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

LStarosta
01-06-2005, 12:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heywooood:
yeah...thats right - lets question the sexual preferences of the people that use the term 'sair'....thats really intellectual and original.... pffffff!*

I would have expected more from you, Chimp.

I dunno why though..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's only a monkey.

MEGILE
01-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Monkeys struggle with simple calculations, and Stiglr is the chief of the "easy settings to make it more realistic" camp. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WOLFMondo
01-06-2005, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bull_dog_:

Wolfmondo...do you know for sure if they have different characteristics? I've done some testing, albiet not real scientific, but I swear the models all have the same flight model...particularly the A and D models which did in fact have different speeds irl, but in game, at sea level I can't seem to get one to go faster or slower than the other?

I was just wondering if you knew for sure or were stating a presumption...they should have slightly different fm...for sure <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its got shorter wings (20cm of each) so it has to be slightly different in lift, roll, drag etc. Maybe not in PF but IRL. What I did get wrong is the designations:
Corsair I = Vought F4U-1
Corsair II = Vought F4U-1A
Corsair III = Brewster F3A-1Ds.
Corsair IV = Goodyear FG-1Ds.
The RN got over 2000 of them, mostly the FG-1D's.

Chuck_Older
01-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Actually, I beleive that Chimpanzees aren't actually simians, they belong to the family of Apes

Anyhow, "Sair" doesn't sound gay. "Ttthair" might.

"Sair" merely sounds ignorant. I ean, hat f I ust yped he ast etters f very ord? M I ewl ow? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Old_Canuck
01-06-2005, 02:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Actually, I beleive that Chimpanzees aren't actually simians, they belong to the family of Apes

Anyhow, "Sair" doesn't sound gay. "Ttthair" might.

"Sair" merely sounds ignorant. I ean, hat f I ust yped he ast etters f very ord? M I ewl ow? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having seen "Sair" used in the forum, I've shortened filenames with the term but will stop so as not to offend and possibly damage the psyche of those more serious virtual pilots. Please accept my apologies for past usage of the word "Sair."

By the way, P-40 Kittyhawk is a "*****" don't you think?

LStarosta
01-06-2005, 02:39 PM
I'll call the Mustang "Chuck's Mom".

Go ahead, call me ignorant.

Chuck_Older
01-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Oooooo, very touchy today, aren't we?

Did the cat mistake the cereal bowl for the catbox again?

Lighten up

LStarosta
01-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Could say the same to you.

repoman11
01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
"Sair"? Whatever, but I won't be calling it that.

But please, stop saying A.T.M. machine, and P.I.N. number.

And cars have wheels, not rims.

Thank you

heywooood
01-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Well this thread got 'jacked....

Wolfmondo - I thought until now that the only difference between Us and Brit 'sairs was the paint job. Shorter wingspan for their carriers, eh?...nice.

And as far as the whole 'sair uproar goes - I only call it that because I like it - thats the only reason. Thats just the way I roll so I wont change it. True, that back in the day, those guys had their nicknames for it and thats ok too. If I were writing a book and trying to be historically accurate I would use the historically recorded nicknames, be sure. But this is supposed to be a friendly forum. Not a Formal Forum....or do I have that wrong?...don't think so.

So if You don't like the term - dont use it...but no one should be so petty as to disparage its use. It is not a feral, or profane, or disrespectful term, it is only an abbreviation...like 'Stang for the P-51. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

So thats all I have to say about that.

joeap
01-07-2005, 02:49 AM
Well to be sure, I used FMB and put a Brit and US Hawgnosed Sair next to each other on a static airfield. What do you know the RN one had shorter square tipped wings! Pretty cool.

Chuck_Older
01-07-2005, 07:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:
Could say the same to you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, so you think I'm serious here. You're kinda an odd guy. One day folks can joke around with you, the next day you're Mr Super Serious. Whatever...

Chuck_Older
01-07-2005, 07:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by repoman11:
"Sair"? Whatever, but I won't be calling it that.

But please, stop saying A.T.M. machine, and P.I.N. number.

And cars have wheels, not rims.

Thank you <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, some cars and trucks have split rims that are bolted together...but I hate the Personal Identification Number Number thing