PDA

View Full Version : Best PC Mod Ever

249th_Maico
08-19-2007, 05:25 PM
About a year ago I bought a bunch of fans for my PC. Among them was a Vantech Tornado 80mm fan. It promised 84 CFM. This was twice as much as a standard fan so I ordered one. Got it home and I hooked it up to my PC just on the side. You know case, open wiring harness in hand.... The fan took off accross the table with a horrible sound. My girlfriend looked at me in discuss as it hit my arm and then the floor. I held it down next time and pluged it back in. I could not beleive the noise this thing made. Yes, people say it sounds like a blow drier or a leaf blower(not that bad but close). I picked it up and pointed the air stream at my other hand. WOW, THAT IS COLD. But the noise was a non negotiable. I put it in the PC junk box and there it sat untill about a week ago. I decided to give it a go. I got two 80mm fans on the front of my case. I put the Vantec on the bottom and it now has a switch(Radio Shack ROCKS!) so I turn it off after I get through playing. Bottom line is that the temp on my Video Card now only changes from 34C at idle to 36C while under load. That is IT. Temp never goes past 36C while the Tornado is on. Not a bad 10 dollar investment. True, this is not for everyone. If your PC is in the living room or next to the kids rooms... Forgetit. However if you are in your own room with the door closed it will be allright. I play with headphones on and cant hear it unless my a/c gets turned into a glider by the AI.
Try one, you might like it.

ytareh
08-20-2007, 03:09 AM
Ear piercing is the only way to describe the noise these make.Im a cooling junkie but even Id say these are practically unusable.....You can do a simple rearrangement of the wires -do a search on fan volt mod- to slow and quieten down these or any fan but it seems to defeat the purpose.
These can be heard in any room in your house unless you live in a mansion and will seriously bother the whole family!May even damage hearing.

R_Target
08-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Yeah, the Vantec's a screamer. You'd have to be a masochist to run it without a fan controller. At least it's reliable. Mine ran 24/7 for a couple years.

249th_Maico
08-20-2007, 12:31 PM
quote: "Mine ran 24/7 for a couple years." A masochist like me.... :}
My girl is no longer and my roomate is on vacation. I am enjoying the privacy and ability to make some noise.

capt_frank
08-20-2007, 03:59 PM
i've got a dell 710 with the venting front to back. today i bought a $12 fan at wallyworld and placed it in front of the case to blow cool air through the system.

not bad.

plus it'll blow my hair back when i'm not using it to cool the tower.

Stew278
08-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Hair dryer is a good description for what those things sound like. I have the 92mm version. I tried it for awhile on a Thermalright XP-90 CPU heatsink. Really it made no difference in temperatures compared to the Panaflo fan I had on there despite the added noise. I have 7 120mm fans on my case now and altogether they don't even come close to making as much noise as that thing did. For me the small gain in cooling performance the Tornado gives wasn't worth the ear splitting noise those things make.