PDA

View Full Version : Planes performance : what about the loss in power due to engine fatigue ?

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I often read that some planes are over or under modelled, comparing to some historical datas.

However, i've been recently talking to a car motor engineer who told me that, when preparing a motor for a test by a journalist or an other institution, they often do a special "treatment" to it, improving the performance to at least 10%.

He also told me that with specific petrol containing some additives, they can enhance the performance by a further 10%.

Finally, he told me that a standard motor at 2/3rd of its lifetime has a loss of performance of about 20% comparing to a brand new one.

That means a difference in performance of 40% between a brand new prepared motor and a "used" one.

Does anyone know if the same ratio could apply to WWII piston motors ?
What consideration can we have when looking at these "historical data" if the plane and engine tested are not in combat condition but are specially prepared ?
What was the standard duration for a plane engine in an operationnal squadron during wwii ?
What was the standard duration for the plane itself ?

Any advised answer welcome ...

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I often read that some planes are over or under modelled, comparing to some historical datas.

However, i've been recently talking to a car motor engineer who told me that, when preparing a motor for a test by a journalist or an other institution, they often do a special "treatment" to it, improving the performance to at least 10%.

He also told me that with specific petrol containing some additives, they can enhance the performance by a further 10%.

Finally, he told me that a standard motor at 2/3rd of its lifetime has a loss of performance of about 20% comparing to a brand new one.

That means a difference in performance of 40% between a brand new prepared motor and a "used" one.

Does anyone know if the same ratio could apply to WWII piston motors ?
What consideration can we have when looking at these "historical data" if the plane and engine tested are not in combat condition but are specially prepared ?
What was the standard duration for a plane engine in an operationnal squadron during wwii ?
What was the standard duration for the plane itself ?

Any advised answer welcome ...

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2003, 02:42 PM
as you may guess the stress in combat to the plane itself and the engine was way harder then the stress on carengines.
but fighterplanes where checked/overhauled every 12 and 24 flighthours.there was a constant loss of performance but it wasnt that drastic. and, most likely a plane wouldnt survive long enough to suffer from this.