PDA

View Full Version : Old Naval Aviation Movie

joeap
08-18-2007, 05:43 PM
No, no link except this:

Task Force (http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/kamikaze/films/taskforce/index.htm)

With Gary Cooper on TV right now. Starts with the Langley and goes to Okinawa. Some great footage (as well as a few silly things) Made in 1949 but still had great shots of the Langley and the early biplanes in action, even old 4 stacker DDs. Good film of the Saratoga. The combat stuff is mixed, (at Midway currently) I was surprised to see real shots of the TBD Devasator...but there was other non relevant footage inlcuded.

Story about a naval officer who believes in naval aviation (Cooper) who tries to convince bigwigs to fund more carriers and planes. Hollywood aside, it must have been fascinating to be in on the early days of naval (and all aviation) during the experiments on what worked and what didn't, especially in the USN and IJN...the RN kind of fell behind.

This is on TCM in Europe if that helps. Funny starts in B & W then goes to colour.

joeap
08-18-2007, 05:43 PM
No, no link except this:

Task Force (http://wgordon.web.wesleyan.edu/kamikaze/films/taskforce/index.htm)

With Gary Cooper on TV right now. Starts with the Langley and goes to Okinawa. Some great footage (as well as a few silly things) Made in 1949 but still had great shots of the Langley and the early biplanes in action, even old 4 stacker DDs. Good film of the Saratoga. The combat stuff is mixed, (at Midway currently) I was surprised to see real shots of the TBD Devasator...but there was other non relevant footage inlcuded.

Story about a naval officer who believes in naval aviation (Cooper) who tries to convince bigwigs to fund more carriers and planes. Hollywood aside, it must have been fascinating to be in on the early days of naval (and all aviation) during the experiments on what worked and what didn't, especially in the USN and IJN...the RN kind of fell behind.

This is on TCM in Europe if that helps. Funny starts in B & W then goes to colour.

woofiedog
08-18-2007, 08:17 PM
This is a Great movie... I place it right along with John Wayne's flick... The Wings of Eagles.

Did you know that Gary Cooper played in the WWI movie Wings.