PDA

View Full Version : a20c - level bombing

llama_thumper
01-18-2007, 02:29 PM
erm, just a quick question:

do you stabilize the plane before doing level bombing? if i do, i can't seem to use the rudder to fine tune the flight path - if i don't, it's all wobbly... so what should i do?

secondly, bomb sight stabilization - does the bomb sight have to be left alone in order to stabilize, or can i adjust the angle up and down, to look ahead, assuming i am flying on a straight and level course?

thanks in advance...

Akronnick
01-18-2007, 02:59 PM
The Auto stabilizer locks out control of your ailerons, elevators and rudder, but you can still make minor heading corrections using rudder trim. You also can use flaps if you are losing altitude, and you can control your speed with throttle.

You do not need to wait for the reticle to appear before adjusting the sight parameters.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

---Loose nut removed from cockpit, ship OK

llama_thumper
01-18-2007, 04:05 PM
thanks for the tip about the trim!

are there any other factors that affect when the reticle appears? sometimes i just wait and wait and wait and it never comes - despite being on stabilizers, no trim, combat flaps, 70% power.... it seems to take ages, definitely more than the 30 seconds i heard of, actually counted them...

AWL_Spinner
01-18-2007, 04:29 PM
The sight works on gyros and they need to be in as stable a motion as possible for an extended period before your bombsight will appear.

In essence, if you throw the plane around the sky, climb, descend and make sharp turns it'll take longer to appear when you finally stabilise than if you made slow low-rate turns and small attitude adjustments beforehand.

There is no set time - it depends entirely what you were doing beforehand!

I plan to use only wide turns and small altitude corrections a while before I begin my stabilised run to target. Plan your path to target and initial point!

Ideally, when you slowly roll out on heading, your sight should appear in mere seconds.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hrannar
01-18-2007, 04:43 PM
What I have noticed is that when I change parameters for the bombsight while sitting in the pilots seat, it takes ages for the reticle to appear, just like you described.

But if I am in the bomb aimer seat while setting the bombsight, the reticle appears in less than 30 seconds.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://www.simnet.is/neindecker/misc/tonyjonsson.jpg

CH Pro Figherstick USB
CH Pro Throttle USB
CH Pro Pedals USB

StellarRat
01-19-2007, 12:47 AM
I usually make sure I'm on the right course and alt about two grids out from the target. Then, I press the stabilizer button and make any final adjustments to the bombsight numbers. After that I adjust my course with rudder trim. The sight always comes on before two grids are crossed. It's usually better to fly away from the target over your own lines and gain alt then make the run in at your desired bombing alt instead of trying climb in-route.