PDA

View Full Version : triming

maintsmanphil
06-17-2006, 04:53 PM
How do i use trim so i can take off from a carrier better??? should i give it half or 3/4 trim??
Thanks

maintsmanphil
06-17-2006, 04:53 PM
How do i use trim so i can take off from a carrier better??? should i give it half or 3/4 trim??
Thanks

FoolTrottel
06-17-2006, 05:11 PM
What trim are you talkin' about?
Aileron, Elevator or Rudder?

I tend to say: At first, use neutral trim.
Next, experiment.
See where and how it goes wrong. Correct that axis by trimming it, try again...

Why? It will be dependant on the type of plane you are using, and the hardware to control it with. (Do you have rudder pedals?)

Have Fun!

-HH- Beebop
06-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I find I need some up elevator trim to keep from pancaking in the ocean during takeoff. How much trim depends on planetype/loadout/fuel load and carrier speed. Some rudder trim is useful too. If you have rudder pedals or a twisty rudder I've found that preset rudder trim is not necessary. I just use what is needed as I get airborne.
How much trim? That depends on the above. You'll need to experiment. Use the takeoff training missions that came with the game.

maintsmanphil
06-17-2006, 09:39 PM
I am just having a hell of a time taking off from a ship. It always crashes in the ocean,what is the best plane to fly from the ship???

smokincrater
06-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Try a zero with take off flap with 110 thottle and default loading.Give it all you`ve got.Pull back on the stick just before you go over the edge.Trust me once you have got the hang of take off and landing you`ll be right in this
game.

-HH- Beebop
06-18-2006, 12:56 AM
The Zero is a good choice. Also try the SBD 3 or 5. Slow plane with plenty of lift. Try 50% fuel and no more than 1000 lbs. of ordinance.
Besides some up elevator I lock the tail wheel and apply takeoff flaps just before the end of the deck. Be prepared to apply a bit of rudder too once you leave the deck.
Bottom line, like everything else about this sim, practice, practice, practice.

jolulure
06-18-2006, 03:24 AM
for me, the thing is the following... keep speed at highest, with WEP if possible, and, as soon as you get out of the deck, do not force the plane up. Just keep straight until you see you are going to touch the water, and then go smoothly up. Always works. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif.

Remember, before leaving the chocks, keep at least 10 seconds with power at full.

Hoatee
06-18-2006, 03:59 AM
Try ming.

hshmulik
06-18-2006, 07:32 AM
Yeap. What -HH- Beebop & jolulure said.

You want to keep drag to a minumum, so:
* Try to bring the tail up early and keep the a/c horizontal. This way you'll peek up speed fatser. Don't over-do it or you'll slam the prop into the deck.
* Once you don't need to use rudder to keep the a/c on the center-line (about half way of the deck), center it. This will reduce drag even further.
* Don't leave the canopy or radiator flaps open. They increase drag dramatically (you'll use them just for this reason when coming in to land on the CV).
* Once you're over the edge of the deck, retract the gear immediately.
* Don't fight your a/c once it dips towards the water - just keep enough back presure to keep it level. If you pull the nose to high you'll drop fatser.
* Try not to use too much rudder or ailerons during the first few seconds - they increase drag, and you're barely above stall speed.

my 2 C.

stansdds
06-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Carrier take off can be a vexing issue and sure has been for me. First, don't take off or land on a static carrier. Carriers turned into the wind for launch and recovery, this provided at least 30 knots wind velocity over the deck. IL2 doesn't have the programming for wind over the deck, so you are better off altering the carrier speed to something like 20 knots.

Second is trim. Initially I though planes spawned with trim set at neutral, but recently I read that planes always spawn with normal take off trim already set. Sure enough, when I took the external view right after spawning, the rudder is visibly deflected to the right, for the Corsair, 6 degrees right rudder is correct according to the Corsair pilot's manual.

I also thought that each tap of the key on the keyboard would equate to one degree of change, but at least on the Corsair it takes more than 6 taps to neutralize the rudder. Seems that the Corsair's rudder takes three taps to roughly equate to one degree of movement.

Third is take off weight. Less than 100% fuel supply and lighten up on the bomb load, both will help in take off.

Fourth is technique. IL2 doesn't allow for catapults, so the best way to simulate a cat launch is to set flaps to take off, run the engine up to full power (crank it up as high as it will go and engage water injection/boost), mixture at 120%, then release the chocks and you may need to engage landing flaps once you have gained speed and the tail comes up. Hold enough right rudder to keep the plane tracking straight on the deck, neutral stick. Once off the deck, don't try to climb, sink a little, but basically hold level fight and retract the landing gear. Once your speed starts coming up, slowly retract the flaps and climb very, very gently.

It is best to start with a docile aircraft such as the SBD. Initially start with 50% fuel and no bombs until you get the hang of launching and recovery, then start adding weight.