PDA

View Full Version : AC:R - Will it have different mini-map options?

Master_Rahl
10-18-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm a fan of not seeing EXACTLY where everything is as you go, but at least having a general idea. Because of that, the original Assassin's Creed's map system was brilliant. You could open the full map up and analyze the city, or you could just head in the direction of your objective.

In real life, the chances are you wouldn't have a GPS that shows you exactly where you are in relation to your goal, which you can constantly check as you free-run across the city (I know that the mini-map is part of the Animus HUD, and that the ancestors themselves didn't have them, but I like to try and do everything exactly how the ancestors would have.) That made the AC1 mini-map realistic, because it did not show you exactly where you were, but it did show you what direction your goal was in. And, realistically, you would have an idea of where you were going.

So, what are your feelings on this? Do you think they'll give you the option to choose between variants of the mini-map, such as the detailed version seen in AC2 and AC:B, or the "foggy" version in the original Assassin's Creed?

I've grown accustomed to playing with the HUD off because the maps give up too much information in AC2 and AC:B, but I still think letting you choose would be a great feature. I think it'd be cool to add an option that removes the mini-map completely and replaces it with a small compass that points in the direction of your goal.

Hayabusa Sushi
10-19-2011, 05:41 AM
So you want a Radar (again) instead of a Mini-Map? I could see that. I don't care either way TBH.

xx-pyro
10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I like your username http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

I think the map option for street view is only if you zoom in. Also, you are aware that you can turn off map markers and only let it show you main objectives if it makes the game "too easy."

Jexx21
10-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Uhh.. the only difference between the maps of AC1 and AC2/B was that AC1 didn't show enemies..

AC1 didn't show the exact locations of shops and stuff was because there were no shops.

lukaszep
10-19-2011, 10:30 AM
When you say "foggy view" do you mean, how it looks before you synchronize?

LightRey
10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
Uhh.. the only difference between the maps of AC1 and AC2/B was that AC1 didn't show enemies..

AC1 didn't show the exact locations of shops and stuff was because there were no shops.
AC1 didn't have a minimap, just a compass (though that might be different for the PC version, idk).

The thing is that, canonically it makes sense for there to be a minimap, since it's a very useful feature and everything's rendered inside the animus, so it really should be able to create a minimap that can show moving targets and the like.

dave93vert
10-19-2011, 11:38 AM
a good idea that would compensate somewhat for no minimap (should the developers decide that)would be for the designers to allow the gamer to use the headset as the means of communication between des and his friends while he is in the animus. just a random thought that occured to me as i read this thread. enjoy, be happy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

Jexx21
10-19-2011, 02:13 PM
You can already take out the mini-map as an HUD choice, and not everyone has mics.

LightRey
10-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
You can already take out the mini-map as an HUD choice, and not everyone has mics.
Nor would it be appreciated if mics were the only way to make navigating easy.

thekarlone
10-19-2011, 02:28 PM
I prefer the minimap of AC2/ACB.

LightRey
10-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by thekarlone:
I prefer the minimap of AC2/ACB.
I agree. Navigation purely based on a compass and a map only accessible by pausing would really just be a pain. I don't think removing the minimap would add anything to the gameplay.

Master_Rahl
10-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the replies, and sorry about any confusion.

@lukaszep
That is exactly what I mean. I couldn't really think of a word to describe it better.

@LightRey:
I didn't mean to suggest they should remove the minimap. I know many people feel the same way as you and respect that. I meant there should be different options as to how the minimap works to suit a variety of play-styles.

It's also been a while since I played the original game. I had thought I remembered it as being similar to the other games when you were not synchronized (on that note, not synchronizing wouldn't really be an option for me since I simply MUST get 100% on the games and I couldn't do that without viewpoints.)

@xx-pyro
Thanks, the Sword of Truth books are my favourite series. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

What I ultimately want is the ability to have a form of map that shows the general location of things, but without showing the exact layout of the buildings and whatnot around those things.

Jexx21
10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Oh.. AC1 IS just a compass telling you where to go.

Meh, it didn't really feel that different..

Master_Rahl
10-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah. One of my main purposes for wanting this is because I like to be able to feel like I've got an intimate knowledge of the areas in games. Despite the fact I played the first Assassin's Creed much less than the second two, I can recall the layouts of areas in the cities much better than in the latter games. When you've got a map always showing you where you're at, what's around you, and where you're going, you pay less attention to your surroundings and more to the map. That's the way I feel, anyway.

Jexx21
10-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Actually, I remember the environments more in the latter games because of the maps :P

LionHeart XXII
10-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Master_Rahl:
you pay less attention to your surroundings and more to the map. That's the way I feel, anyway.

i totally get what you are saying. when i take off the mini map it makes it easier to enjoy the city

rileypoole1234
10-19-2011, 08:40 PM
I sort of agree. In Batman Arkham City there's no minimap, just the Bat signal in the distance to guide you. You can open the map in the select menu, but there's no minimap. I can see something like that working for AC.

Animuses
10-19-2011, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't mind having that option, it's sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe on a 3rd playthrough I may want to use it to change it up.

It's always good to have options.