PDA

View Full Version : Revised CRG: Ki-43 Oscar and Ki-61 Tony

neural_dream
08-18-2005, 06:23 AM
This is the beginning of a series of topics on the Revised Cockpit Reference Guide that i am working on. It will contain all planes this time so i will share it with you just after the release of the last patch. In these topics i will post what i have chosen for the time being to write about each aircraft as side-info to the cockpit reference. This way the experts of this forum will quickly point out errors and maybe offer better alternatives to my words for each aircraft. Do not stick that much to numbers. I offer approximate ones first because you can never be sure with so many conflicting numbers out there, and second because this is a compact guide and shouldn't waste precious space by adding all speeds for every model of a plane if they are very close. Still if you find that there are major inconsistencies please tell me so before i "release" the guide next month.
-----------------------------------------------
Starting with two japanese planes, so i am looking forward to LEBillfish's wisdom:

Nakajima Ki-43-Ia,Ib,Ic Hayabusa, "Oscar" or "Jim" (`41)
Designed under similar principles, the Ki43 was the Japanese army's counterpart of the navy's zero (A6M). It was
an incredibly manoeuvrable but quite slow army fighter with a maximum speed of only 440km/h at sea level
and 500km/h at 4000m. It was the mount of most Japanese aces and enjoyed considerable successes at the
beginning of the Pacific War, but became obsolete rather quickly. Still, the Ki43 was used throughout the whole
of the war. The allies were calling it "Oscar" in the Pacific and "Jim" in southeast Asia.
Tips:
¦ By default the gunsight is covered. Open it by pressing the "Tinted Reticle Dimmer" button.
¦ Avoid power dives; the Ki43 starts disintegrating at a little over 650km/h.
¦ Just like the Zero, the Ki43 is very vulnerable to enemy fire; it lacks armour plating and self-sealing fuel tanks.
Armament:
Ia: nose - 2x7.7mm Type80 MG (500rpg/33sec).
Ib: nose - 1x7.7mm Type80 MG (500rpg/33sec), nose - 1x12.7mm Ho103 MG (250rpg/17sec).
Ic: nose - 2x12.7mm Ho103 MG (250rpg/17sec).
-----------------------------------------------
Kawasaki Ki-61-I Ko,Otsu,Hei Hien "Tony" (`42-`44)
Codenamed "Tony" by the allies, the Ki61 was a capable aircraft, quite similar to the Bf109 both in appearance
and performance (which caused some erroneous reports of allied pilots about Japanese Bf109's).
Maximum speed: around 480km/h at sea level and 590km/h at 4850m.
Tips:
¦ The Ki61-I's start disintegrating at around 850km/h.
¦ All three versions have self sealing fuel tanks and pilot armour <span class="ev_code_GREEN">[added]</span>
Armament:
Ki-61-I Ko: wings - 2x7.7mm Type89 MG (500rpg/32sec), nose - 2x12.7mm Ho103 MG (250rpg/16sec).
Ki-61-I Otsu: nose - 2x12.7mm Ho103 MG (250rpg/16sec), wings - 2x12.7mm Ho103 MG (250rpg/15sec).
Ki-61-I Hei: nose - 2x12.7mm Ho103 MG (250rpg/16sec), wings - 2x20mm MG 151/20 cannon (120rpg/10sec). <span class="ev_code_RED">[corrected]</span>

neural_dream
08-18-2005, 06:26 AM
What i mainly expect is the most experienced among you to suggest some better tips, like the ones you would like to see in a rather compact guide.

Tomorrow: G50, CR42

JG53Frankyboy
08-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Ki61-Hei has MG151/20 in the wings, no Ho-5.

VW-IceFire
08-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Ki-61-Tei had the Ho-5 20mm in the nose cowling and Ho-103 12.7mm in the wings.

neural_dream
08-18-2005, 07:45 AM
some conflicting corrections there. I am at work at the moment so i can't check any of that. If someone could responsibly give us the armament of the Hei in the game and the exact ammunition and sec again <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">in the game</span> I would be grateful. Apart from that some tips on how to fly those two planes would be more than welcome. E.g. is there any significant difference on how one should fly the Ki61 comparing to the Bf109?

Kuna15
08-18-2005, 07:57 AM
If you need quantity of ammo per gun, that can be easily checked in game via multiplayer. You don't even have to go online for that.

If you however need some more detailed info, like common ammo belt (HE, AP ... ) and such, well... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

neural_dream
08-18-2005, 08:08 AM
how do i check the quantity Kuna? Is there some console command?

LEBillfish
08-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Ki-61-Ko
2 x 12,7 mm Ho-130 MG/nose - 250rpg/16sec
2 x 7,7 mm Type 89 MG/wings - 500rpg/32sec
2 x 250 kg bombs/wings

Ki-61-Otsu
2 x 12,7 mm Ho 103 MG/nose - 250rpg/16sec
2 x 12,7 mm Ho 103 MG/wings - 250rpg/15sec
2 x 250 kg bombs/wings

Ki-61-Hei
2 x 12,7 mm Ho 103 MG/nose - 250rpg/16sec
2 x 20 mm MG 151/20/wings - 120rpg/10sec
2 x 250 kg bombs OR 2 x 150 L droptank /wings

All 3 versions have self sealing fuel tanks and pilot armor.

There is no point in including Ki-61-Tei information as we do not have it.

neural_dream
08-18-2005, 08:35 AM
thx Frankyboy and LEBillfish. Any flying tips? Is it the same with a BF?
and IceFire meant that i probably used Tei's instead of Hei's armament. Google still brings a few websites with that mistake (the Ho5 on the Hei) and i don't have my books here to check. cheers

LEBillfish
08-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
thx Frankyboy and LEBillfish. Any flying tips? Is it the same with a BF?

Do you want "In Sim" or "Real Life" tips?

neural_dream
08-18-2005, 01:04 PM
in sim

LEBillfish
08-18-2005, 01:47 PM
In the sim;

The Ki-61-1 series of fighter most will find to be similar to a cross between the Bf-109-E7 & F2. With a significantly better turn rate and control authority, it will maintain a slow 140km/h IAS maneuver well. However in kind, this excellent control surface authority coupled with the high speeds it is able to obtain in a dive also insures a quicker and deeper blackout similar to the P-51.

The Ki-61 has a good steady climb rate. Its "Zoom Climb" ability actually much more impressive. High speed dives reaching 760km/h IAS should not be feared except for the potential for blackout. In the "medium" range for speed compared to other aircraft, diving tactics or those forcing your opponent to bleed energy will allow you to keep pace. In kind its good climb rate will allow you to keep pace with most opponents.

The shortcomings of the Ki-61 are clearly seen in its armament, the Ki-61-1c or Hei making up for this to some degree, however its limited number of rounds will end combat quickly. In kind the 12.7 ammo stores being a minimal 250 rounds/gun can be a hindrance. Other issues would be its nature to "oil up the windscreen" on almost any forward fuselage hit, and fire as with most Japanese planes is still a hazard. The greatest disadvantage though is the very slow recuperation of speed in level flight. Once slow, the Ki-61 takes a greater amount of time to get back up to speed, so energy conservation is a must.

As with most PF planes, a radiator setting of 6, prop pitch of 85%, and throttle of 95% will insure no overheats. However, engine failure will be rapid once an overheat condition is reached.

Ideal opponent planes would include the P-38, P-39, P-40, Wildcat, Spitfires, Hurricanes, early Corsairs, and even earlier Mustangs & all bombers. However, the Hellcat, later Corsairs and Mustangs & all P-47 will give it difficulty due to their much better speed and more so ability to take damage considering the limited firepower of the Ki-61.

Very high altitude (7km or better) combat however should not be avoided as the low speed stability of the plane and quick diving ability seems to give it an advantage up high where most opponents planes become too unstable to maneuver.

neural_dream
08-18-2005, 04:51 PM
This is a gem my friend. I believe you wouldn't mind if I borrow some of your words for the guide. It will be clearly stated of course that these are your words.

One other thing is about the safe IAS that you mentioned. I didn't do rigorous testing but when I tested it I saw that it started disintegrating at much higher than 760, maybe more like 860km/h for near vertical dives.

LEBillfish
08-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
This is a gem my friend. I believe you wouldn't mind if I borrow some of your words for the guide. It will be clearly stated of course that these are your words.

One other thing is about the safe IAS that you mentioned. I didn't do rigorous testing but when I tested it I saw that it started disintegrating at much higher than 760, maybe more like 860km/h for near vertical dives.

Feel free to use any of it you want, and I don't want credit...All credit goes to the sim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif........As to the dive speed, that's why I said don't fear that speed as I quite often hit and exceed it but the point is not to take it up to the edge, yet with a nice margin so if you surpass it you'll still be fine (check speed it says 740, you keep going almost there not realizing you have hit 800 yet still pull it off)....At 760 unless it's a P47 in a dive you'll catch it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

neural_dream
08-19-2005, 02:00 AM
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Anyone any tips about the Ki-43 this time before i start the G50, CR42 topic?

LEBillfish
08-19-2005, 07:15 AM
I'll try and add some tips in about an hour

LEBillfish
08-19-2005, 08:19 AM
First off, you need to change the Ki-61 dates to 1943 & 1944 for "production" or 1943-1945 for "use".....They had indeed developed it in 42, yet it really saw no intended combat action to roughly July/August 1943.

As to the Ki-43-1a thru 1c / Type 1 Fighter, Model I (produced only in 1941, flown till 1945)

If the Republic P-47 was essentially the Spad XIII of WWII, the Ki-43-I by far had to be considered the Fokker Dr1. Light, nimble and well designed, when introduced in late 1941 there was little that could compete with the "Hayabusa" or Peregrine Falcon. Though quickly outclassed as the war progressed, its continuous improvement insured its place as the "workhorse" Japanese Army fighter.

In Pacific Fighters just as real life you will find the Ki-43-I an incredibly strong climber, stable at ridiculously slow speeds (even beyond the Bi-planes here) and reasonably quick when considering fighting "its way". No other Japanese plane can take off in as short a space and climb as quickly.

The "loop" truly your friend in this plane often causing planes to follow not realizing its agility. Quick to regain lost energy, one should never fear virtually stopping the plane in mid air to turn back on your opponent. The turn fight or true dogfighting is where the Ki-43 excels. In kind you will make for a virtually impossible target if you use agility and not speed when escaping.

As said, simplicity, agility, flap use, climb rate and quickness are the planes pluses. However know even though it had minimal pilot armor and leak absorbing tanks, they are no match for most allied armaments. Fire a constant threat, as is explosion. The Ki-43 another true example of only considering attack not defense as it will not sustain hits of any consequence.

Perhaps worse still, armament is equally lacking as the defensive armor. Though the 1a's 2 7.7 500r/g can make short work of early allied engines, most allied planes by late 42 can absorb all but the most lucky of hits. Though the 1c having considerably more punch with the 2 12.7 guns, the limited 250r/g often insure you will be heading to base quickly with your victim on your tail if your shots are not well placed.

Best tactics in the Ki-43-I are initial diving or climbing attacks on those unaware, then taunting your opponent into flying "your way" conserving ammunition till you have clear shots. Utilize the stall, loops, tight turns and sudden climbs to bleed your opponents energy. Then when they are floundering to regain a footing strike accurately and hard.

Trust the Ki-43's ability to recover, press its stall limits, and force your opponents to fly incorrectly and perish, or give up and sprint for home.

LEBillfish
08-19-2005, 08:22 AM
Please consider both briefs above how I'm explaining them clearly. Take whatever facts you can for your condensed versions from them and ask any specific questions you might have.

neural_dream
08-19-2005, 09:45 AM
That is so exactly what i needed and what many people would like to read about the Ki-43.

Thank you