PDA

View Full Version : The characters in real life

AddictsCreed
09-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Hi all!

I'm a bit of a history nut, I love documentaries about places and people, visiting ruins etc.
So, knowing that some of the characters are names of people who really did exist in those times the games focus on, I googled a few and some of the information is really interesting. Most recently I looked up Cesare Borgia and really enjoyed that so many facts were written into the games, some tweaked a little. For e.g, the Borgia really did hire Da Vinci as their military architect.

So I'm wondering if anybody else has come across any other interesting information or facts like that?

eagleforlife1
09-23-2011, 08:00 AM
A lot of the events involved really happened.

The Pazzi conspiracy was real. Francesco de Pazzi's body was really hung from the Palazzo Vecchio. Caterina Sforza was really kidnapped by the Borgia and her children were really kidnapped by the Orsi brothers.

LightRey
09-23-2011, 08:07 AM
There are also people saying that Ezio's family (Giovanni, Maria, Petruccio, Claudia, Federico and Mario) and according to a few of them Ezio himself as well, actually existed and that Maria's diary (referred to in the database) is actually in the Uffizi. However, I've never seen or heard of anyone (reliable) confirming this.

Assassin_M
09-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Pazzi conspiracy was real, every part of it except the Ezio parts.

The death of Giovanni Mocenigo and Marco Barbarigo replacing him as Doge.

Leonardo going to Venice.

all of the Battle of Forli was real, except again for the Ezio and Machiavelli Parts.

Bonfire of the Vanities was real, except for the Ezio Parts.

Rodrigo becoming Pope is real.

Cesare laying siege to Tuscany.

Machiavelli becoming Cesare`s Ambassador.

Leonardo being hired by Cesare was real.

all of Sequence 9 in ACB was real except for Ezio.

AddictsCreed
09-23-2011, 08:30 AM
I thought the corpse being hung from the Palazzo Vecchio was for real, but I couldn't for a while remember where I'd heard or read it.
It's just hit me-I believe Hannibal Lecter actually speaks about it in 'Hannibal'? He is living in Italy at the time.
Incidentally, the policeman he kills is something Pazzi and doesn't he hang him from the building too?! That's really interesting! Oh I love this, it's so intriguing and is what really pulls me into the game.

On the topic of Ezios mother, I think it was in the database it says that Maria wrote a journal, then it ended much to the disappointment of historians around the world. Or something to that effect. I believe it, if they can write in such big names as Leonardo Da Vinci and include things like the Pope and the Vatican, then why not use lesser known names as well?

I also read that all the names in AC1 were all people who really did live (and some die) back in... 1196 I think it was?

What a truly clever game. The storyline is compelling, the game-play itself is fun and exciting, and they've gone one step further to other games and researched like mad to make it historically correct for the most part.

Does anyone know if those Romulus folk were for real?

AddictsCreed
09-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Oh yes that's one thing I thought was cool, that like we saw in the game, Cesare was arrested, and he really was. The part I missed was he was arrested by Niccolo Machiavelli? He thought Machiavelli was on his side yes?
Some I missed in the game as I was excited haha.

eagleforlife1
09-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
There are also people saying that Ezio's family (Giovanni, Maria, Petruccio, Claudia, Federico and Mario) and according to a few of them Ezio himself as well, actually existed and that Maria's diary (referred to in the database) is actually in the Uffizi. However, I've never seen or heard of anyone (reliable) confirming this.

I definitely read an article about an Ezio Auditore being a Florentine banker during the 15th century. I have looked for ages for it but can't find it.

LightRey
09-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

I definitely read an article about an Ezio Auditore being a Florentine banker during the 15th century. I have looked for ages for it but can't find it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really? That sounds interesting. If you ever find it again please post about it.

eagleforlife1
09-23-2011, 11:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

I definitely read an article about an Ezio Auditore being a Florentine banker during the 15th century. I have looked for ages for it but can't find it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really? That sounds interesting. If you ever find it again please post about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will do if I can find it again.

SleezeRocker
09-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah I love how AC uses real history and make a an awesome (fantasy) game with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

to my knowledge, I remember the Battle of Forli back when I was a sophomore in World history.
I even remember in history the part when Caterina "flashed" and said "..go and take em! I 've got the tool to make more!"

But yeah, AC is such an awesome game! For me, it's the Zelda of this generation (Really lovez Zelda!)

Krayus Korianis
09-23-2011, 11:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

Really? That sounds interesting. If you ever find it again please post about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to tell you, it's a fake thing that was posted by some trolls. Nothing about Ezio and his family in the game was real.

But if you want a laugh, here's the big post about it on these forums. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1069024/m/8931081028 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/8931081028)

Blind2Society
09-23-2011, 11:59 PM
I definitely read an article about an Ezio Auditore being a Florentine banker during the 15th century. I have looked for ages for it but can't find it.
Funny, I read one about Giovanni Auditore being a Florentine banker during the 15th century. I think the author was a Shaun Hast....oh wait....

Sorry, I couldn't resist http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

eagleforlife1
09-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:

Just to tell you, it's a fake thing that was posted by some trolls. Nothing about Ezio and his family in the game was real.

But if you want a laugh, here's the big post about it on these forums. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1069024/m/8931081028 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/8931081028) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't from that thread. I found it independently.

LightRey
09-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Krayus_Korianis:

But if you want a laugh, here's the big post about it on these forums. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1069024/m/8931081028 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/8931081028) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That was actually not what I was referring to.

RzaRecta357
09-24-2011, 02:58 AM
You found something else then because Ezio was a totally chosen name for the Eagle meaning and stuff haha. I seriously doubt he was real in name at all.

TC, I remember I beat the first game and shelved it. Then one day I was super bored and remembered hey that game has a funky ending and I think lots of it MAY be real.

So I played it again and researched the names and places as I came across them.

Now I'm hooked on the series and one of the biggest fans i'm sure!

LightRey
09-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
You found something else then because Ezio was a totally chosen name for the Eagle meaning and stuff haha. I seriously doubt he was real in name at all.

TC, I remember I beat the first game and shelved it. Then one day I was super bored and remembered hey that game has a funky ending and I think lots of it MAY be real.

So I played it again and researched the names and places as I came across them.

Now I'm hooked on the series and one of the biggest fans i'm sure!
You're probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least Giovanni etc. really existed.

eagleforlife1
09-24-2011, 04:13 AM
Ezio is a real Italian name, here's an example:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezio_Gamba

There is also an opera by Pietro Auletta in which a person called Ezio is the main character.

CFord664
09-24-2011, 08:22 AM

It's in the database in AC2 and Brotherhood.

LightRey
09-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by CFord664:

It's in the database in AC2 and Brotherhood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know (it's in the quoted part of your post). I want verification by an outside source, since the database is not completely valid when it comes to actual historical events.

Valaquen_
09-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Francesco de Pazzi's body was really hung from the Palazzo Vecchio.
This isn't true, a member of the Salviati family was hanged from it.

An 'error' between our history and AC's history is that Jacopo Pazzi died during retaliation for the Pazzi conspiracy, beaten, stripped, and thrown into a river. In AC he survives to be mercy-killed by Ezio after Borgia stabs him for 'failure.'

eagleforlife1
09-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Valaquen_:
Francesco de Pazzi's body was really hung from the Palazzo Vecchio.
This isn't true, a member of the Salviati family was hanged from it.

An 'error' between our history and AC's history is that Jacopo Pazzi died during retaliation for the Pazzi conspiracy, beaten, stripped, and thrown into a river. In AC he survives to be mercy-killed by Ezio after Borgia stabs him for 'failure.' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to wiki (admittedly not the best source):

In real life, Francesco de' Pazzi was reputed to have stabbed himself in the thigh accidentally, while killing Giuliano de' Medici in a frenzy. He was dragged from the Palazzo Pazzi, and then hung naked from the tower of the Palazzo della Signoria on April 26, 1478. His body was then cut down and desecrated.

Edit: Just found this in a book called History of Florence by Niccolo Macchiavelli:

The people took possession of their houses, and Francesco, naked as they found him, was led to the palace, and hanged beside the archbishop and the rest.

eagleforlife1
09-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Another thing is that Cesare really was thrown from the wall of Castle Viana by an 'unknown warrior'.

Valaquen_
09-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Are there any sources? Non-wiki, preferably. History books do a good job [a recent one studied Machiavelli, Da Vinci, and Cesare]

eagleforlife1
09-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I've already provided one that was written by Macchiavelli himself. Cesare Borgia: His Life and Times by Sarah Bradford tells us about Cesare's death.

Valaquen_
09-24-2011, 03:08 PM
I've already provided one that was written by Macchiavelli himself. Cesare Borgia: His Life and Times by Sarah Bradford tells us about Cesare's death.
I'll look it up. Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif