PDA

View Full Version : 1946 trouble!!

alexa74
03-03-2008, 06:35 AM
I'm experiencing some problems in IL-2 1946 campaigns. Trouble is that my plane in Russian campaign "Leningrad" Polikarpov I-16 doesn't have same characteristics like in, I believe the same, campaign in Forgotten Battles Ace. It is confusing because in 1946 I can't reach any enemy aircraft, but friendly planes around me can do it. Is this a bug I can expect in later campaigns or it can be fixed somehow? Il-2 1946 is with 4.08m patch and FBAEP is with 2.04 patch.For launching I use Il-2 Stab ver.6.3. Also I'm experiencing problems with joystick (Logitech Wingman Extreme). Every plane is banking too much to the right side and it is annoying to correct that in flight all the time. The joystick is properly configured and calibrated.
Note that every problem is in IL-2 1946. In Forgotten Battles Ace there are no problems what so ever.

roybaty
03-03-2008, 07:52 AM
The only thing the I-16 should be able to catch are bombers, transports, and utility aircraft. bf-110 and 109 are faster, and the 109 has superior climb, not sure about the 110s climb rate.

Wepps
03-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Oh yes, the I-16 is much more accurate now. I can't climb worth a dang. I still dive fairly well, and while carrying rockets I have the characteristics of a monkey loaded with cinder blocks.

I still blow things out of the sky by just thinking about it (I still think it's a Firefox), unlike my 109 Franz, but at least it flies right now.

The joystick needs to be calibrated. Best time to do that is sitting on the runway before starting engines. Move the stick to all 4 corners, twice at least, and do the same with rudder. You'll fly normally bad then.

BWaltteri
03-03-2008, 08:31 AM
It was the most annoying plane to fight against in FB! No wonder it was toned down a bit.

Hopefully you are aware of the 110% power if that helps...

mortoma
03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Your joystick problem seems odd if it's occuring on the very same PC, I mean as the two different game versions you mentioned being installed on the same PC. The calibration is mostly a Windows controlled thing, not a game controlled thing!! So if your stick is calibrated in Windows, even if you had twenty games on your PC that use the joystick, it should work perfect for all twenty games.

Now as far as the I-16 problem, the difference between the two versions is two-fold. First, the I-16 is not a "uber" as it once was. Secondly, the enemy AI are more "aware" of how to evade and attack in whatever aircraft they are flying. When I fly an I-16 now in the latter versions of the game, an enemy AI in a 109 will extent away from me using his superior speed and climb both. It's much harder to catch a AI piloted 109 being stupid, they just don't make the same mistakes like they used to. But I can and do kill 109s with I-16 these days, just need to be far more patient and accept fewer kills than I used to.

mortoma
03-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by BWaltteri:
It was the most annoying plane to fight against in FB! No wonder it was toned down a bit.

Hopefully you are aware of the 110% power if that helps... This is entirely true. I used to fly Emils against I-16s in the older versions, in the quick mission builder. Mostly because of the sheer challenge of it!! I'd really get excited if I was able to shoot down an I-16 instead of it shooting me down!!! It was worthy of a celebration in those days.

Now I can get in a Fiat G-50 and shoot down reams of them even if they are set on "ace" level. Far more accurate now, they are neutered and more girly.

Wepps
03-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I remember being in a 190 online in a vertical dive chasing an I-16, and he was gaining. Suddenly, the I-16 did a 180 I mean in a split second, climbed straight up at me and blew me out of the sky. I filled it full of big honking holes and it just kept on coming.

When I reported that I was branded a Luftwhiner.

Seriously, half the forum was on me like hair on a guerrilla. You'd think it was obvious that even UFOs don't fly like that, but Oleg was adamant about its flight characteristics.

It still breaths fire like a dragon, but I enjoy the game much more now that I get to fly the version with its true characteristics.

alexa74
03-03-2008, 10:22 AM
So it makes sense about it. To tell the true I was little bit suspicious about downing 109's so easily. With a respect when I saw I-16 for the first time I laugh at it. 1.st because of its appearance and 2.nd because of its terrible engine choking especially during agressive dive. You get to those funny situations where you're trying to rerun the engine, with the wind in your hair, while the 109 is spewing on a back of your tail http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif . It really looks and sounds like a trash can full of metal rubbish http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .
And yes. During same campaign in 1946 I managed to shoot down only third, No fourth of amount I downed in FBEP.
Still don't know what the hell is with joystick.

alexa74
03-03-2008, 10:32 AM
I just saw what happened to one Lufthansa pilot and strong side wind. Really disturbing how he managed to land the plane...

GIAP.Shura
03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Sounds to me like the torque effects are stronger in 1946 than in FB although personally speaking I couldn't say this for sure. There are quite a few steps between 2.04 and 4.08. Your comment that your AI compatriots can catch the planes that you can't would indicate that your plane is out of trim.
Furthermore, be sure that you will burn for your comments regarding the I-16's glorious appearance and magnificent engine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
The joystick issue may not be anything to do with the joystick. In patch 4.x there was a change in the flight physics and more torque and gyroscopic effects were added, that may be the difference you see there.

alexa74
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Well I don't want to be rude. I'm sure that many Russian heroes paid with their life in it. But the MiG-3 is a masterpiece.Most beautifull plane in WW2 for me. In FBAEP it seems that you can do everything with it.
P.S. This is a positive critic. We must persuade you to make more quality planes for us someday. Right now your country is repairing some Migs of ours.
Greetings from Belgrade.

Xiolablu3
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
If you are getting into horizontal turnfights with an i16, then you deserve to be shot down!

BWaltteri
03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by alexa74:
Well I don't want to be rude. I'm sure that many Russian heroes paid with their life in it. But the MiG-3 is a masterpiece.Most beautifull plane in WW2 for me. In FBAEP it seems that you can do everything with it.
P.S. This is a positive critic. We must persuade you to make more quality planes for us someday. Right now your country is repairing some Migs of ours.
Greetings from Belgrade.

Well, perhaps it is beautiful, I noticed the Funky skins there was available for it.

But when I flew it for the first time I ended up into 720 km/h dive speed and my wings tore off.

alexa74
03-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Well yes.It's too much for it. Usualy I watch speed gauge but it happend to me on I-16 several times going around 520-530Km/h. Overspeed threshold too low for this plane.

alexa74
03-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by GIAP.Shura:
Sounds to me like the torque effects are stronger in 1946 than in FB although personally speaking I couldn't say this for sure. There are quite a few steps between 2.04 and 4.08. Your comment that your AI compatriots can catch the planes that you can't would indicate that your plane is out of trim.
Furthermore, be sure that you will burn for your comments regarding the I-16's glorious appearance and magnificent engine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif
No it's not out of trim.Im telling that I have the same performance including speed but moving slover then others.

joeap
03-04-2008, 04:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GIAP.Shura:
No it's not out of trim.Im telling that I have the same performance including speed but moving slover then others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm did you guys know the I-16 doesn't/didn't have trim in RL and the sim? So trim is not a factor.

alexa74
03-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I suppose so.In this sim I don't use trimers. There is no need for me to fly precise.The planes seems to be pretty stable for flying and landing with little or no corrections. I'm saying this since We don't have an air refueling or I don't really fly a big bomber and do the precise targeting to use this.

GIAP.Shura
03-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Im telling that I have the same performance including speed but moving slover then others.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. You have the same speed but you are moving slower? Do you mean you have a lower acceleration?

Originally posted by joeap:
Hmmm did you guys know the I-16 doesn't/didn't have trim in RL and the sim? So trim is not a factor.

You are quite right. My mistake. I should have said that he probably wasn't keeping his slipball centred. This is hard to do in the I-16 because the control column partially obscures it (although nowhere near as bad as in the I-153).

In this sim I don't use trimers.

Then you are losing performance and decreasing the effectiveness of your aim.

Wepps
03-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I would say to that, that I never had, and still don't have, any trouble with my aim in an I-16. In fact, a quick touch brings any aircraft down when I'm flying that, within the historical time-frame of the aircraft.

The problem is getting in a position to fire.

I'll be flying a mission and check for nearest enemy, and I see out at 2.07 a 109 being chased by 3 I-16s, and I'm thinking....'criminies, I'll never get there in time' lol.

What I have trouble with is the 109 Franz. I can't seem to do enough damage to take an aircraft down. In one recent fight I emptied my guns with great accuracy into an SB-2, and it kept right on going.

I think 'I must be doing something wrong', but I've always had that difficulty. And given the lack of difficulty in firing and accuracy in my I-16, I get to thinking there is something wrong with the modeling of the 109s, and not with me.

alexa74
03-04-2008, 06:12 PM
It doesn't really matter I can't make it clear to you.It's not speed. It's not acceleration. Simply CAN'T REACH ANY ENEMY PLANE. Only I said Only when I scramble enemy when it's flying towards me or turning near me and chasing by my comrades.
And when I do that it's only for a moment when I can catch it on the target cross and shoot. For an example I have been watching my comrades plane on a chase view. Everything seems to be normal.Enemy doesn't brake from him very fast.Just like in FBAEP. Whatever. Something's rotten here and Im going to solve it.

mortoma
03-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Furthermore, be sure that you will burn for your comments regarding the I-16's glorious appearance and magnificent engine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif Ummmm...dude, the I-16 has no trim in the first place!! So that does not explain diddely squat. The AI blow by me all the time when I am chasing an enemy and it has been this way for years. They have a little bit of extra steam that you don't, plus AI do not face overheating problems.

GIAP.Shura
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GIAP.Shura:
Furthermore, be sure that you will burn for your comments regarding the I-16's glorious appearance and magnificent engine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif Ummmm...dude, the I-16 has no trim in the first place!! So that does not explain diddely squat. The AI blow by me all the time when I am chasing an enemy and it has been this way for years. They have a little bit of extra steam that you don't, plus AI do not face overheating problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*sigh*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeap:
Hmmmm did you guys know the I-16 doesn't/didn't have trim in RL and the sim? So trim is not a factor.

You are quite right. My mistake. I should have said that he probably wasn't keeping his slipball centred. This is hard to do in the I-16 because the control column partially obscures it (although nowhere near as bad as in the I-153). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>