PDA

View Full Version : What is the 'Golden Horn'?

tjbyrum1
11-25-2011, 07:16 AM
I climbed up Galata Tower. On Youtube the guy simply parachuted into the water. So I did to.

I got the achievement... but what exactly is the Golden Horn? All I saw was buildings, a dock, and water. Nothing golden, and nothing horn-shaped.

LightRey
11-25-2011, 07:19 AM
It's the strait in between Galata and the rest of Constantinople. It's called the Golden Horn because it's a very lucrative bit of water to control.

RzaRecta357
11-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Yusuf totally tells you AND there is a database entry about it.

I guess lots of people don't take the time to read those. Not sure why.

So it breaks the gameplay for 30 seconds. Knowledge is power.

Haha.

tjbyrum1
11-25-2011, 08:59 AM
I normally check out interesting bits about the Database, however I normally wait till the end of the game so that I am certain I have all possible entries.

And while replaying the game, I noticed Yusuf says something about in one of the first missions.

Sorry.

Abeonis
11-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by tjbyrum1:
I normally check out interesting bits about the Database, however I normally wait till the end of the game so that I am certain I have all possible entries.

And while replaying the game, I noticed Yusuf says something about in one of the first missions.

Sorry.

Gameplay and databases aside, you should really know what the Golden Horn is from school...

tjbyrum1
11-25-2011, 09:34 AM
From school? Ha! Please, my school is so poor I doubt anything to do with Constantinople is in our curriculum.

As a matter of fact, I am in 12th grade and never once has Constantinople been mentioned in my history classes. Nor has Ottomans, Byzantines, the Crusades, Hashshashin, or anything. We always have history classes about the early Mayans and Aztecs, the Fuedal System, some Chinese History, the founding of the Americas, American Civil War, WWI, WWII, etc. We don't learn much about anything else.

I learned more about history from games like Age of Empires, Assassin's Creed, and stuff.

Abeonis
11-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by tjbyrum1:
From school? Ha! Please, my school is so poor I doubt anything to do with Constantinople is in our curriculum.

As a matter of fact, I am in 12th grade and never once has Constantinople been mentioned in my history classes. Nor has Ottomans, Byzantines, the Crusades, Hashshashin, or anything. We always have history classes about the early Mayans and Aztecs, the Fuedal System, some Chinese History, the founding of the Americas, American Civil War, WWI, WWII, etc. We don't learn much about anything else.

I learned more about history from games like Age of Empires, Assassin's Creed, and stuff.

I'm assuming you're from the States, which would explain the focus on Native American history. I was surprised you didn't mention the Roman Empire, however.

tjbyrum1
11-25-2011, 10:13 AM
No, we don't learn about the Romans either.

RzaRecta357
11-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Haha I'm with him on that. Canadian here and our history when I was in highschool years ago was pretty much about hitler from what I can recall.

I learned more myself with the games and wiki.

tjbyrum1
11-25-2011, 11:24 AM
I actually learned about the Three Kingdoms Era through Dynasty Warriors. I can separate fact from fiction though, but I learned about it.

Assassin's Creed showed me a good bit of history as well.

kalo.yanis
11-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
It's the strait in between Galata and the rest of Constantinople. It's called the Golden Horn because it's a very lucrative bit of water to control.

Teeechnically it's an inlet.

LightRey
11-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by NBST:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

Teeechnically it's an inlet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah ok. I wasn't entirely sure what the proper term was, so I just went with strait. :P