PDA

View Full Version : The Patch, More Bad Than Good - HELP needed

seinmind
11-04-2004, 10:54 PM
I downloaded and installed the 1.01 patch from Mystworlds.com if anything to help the monkey puzzle in Haven seem less of a pain in the @$$. Now I have noticed TWO things [so far] that are effecting my gameplay. First, I have begun to notice distortion artificts when I returned to Tomahna. It is like squares of TV static in blotches at certain locations.

Another thing is that the transitions when read or viewed using the necklace are really fuzzy and blurry now. Before I could read the book as I am hearing it be read to me, now its a blur. Also flashback scenes are really really blurry now, almost like im drunk.

Has ANYONE been experiencing these two issues I mentioned? Has their been a fix? I am affraid to move onto my game mission.

Windows XP Pro with a 9800 Radeon Pro 256 Meg. The game worked fine before the patch. Also updated drivers tonight.

Sorry if this was repeated before.

Philkb
11-05-2004, 09:59 AM
I wondered about that one myself. I applied the patch and all appeared to be dandy, allowing to finish Haven and Spire, then on to Serenia. I first notice the symptom you mentioned when reading Achenar's journal in Serenia. It too was a pulsating blur when being read aloud but clear when read silently. Hmmm... Perhaps I too am experiencing one of problems with the new patch. I'll have to recheck at some memory spots to see if ones I previously saw clearly will now be blurred.
I'm using a GeForce 3 Ti200 on my system and all seemed to be OK after the patch but now I'm wondering.

maztec
11-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Yah, a few threads on this. Surprised you didn't notice any of them...

Lets seee now.

If you don't mind trying it, you can give my first option here a shot:

1) Grab your M4 Disc #1
2) Put Disc #1 in your DVD drive.
3) Go to "My Computer"
4) Right click on the M4 DVD.
5) Click "Open"
6) Open the directory "win32"
7) Open the directory "bin"
8) Right click on the file "m4_shaderlib_rd.dll" and select "Copy"
9) Go to "My Computer"
10) Double click on the drive you installed Myst IV onto (most likely Chttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
11) If you installed M4 into the default location, double click "Program Files" -> "UBISOFT" -> "Myst IV - Revelation" -> "bin". Otherwise go to wherever you have it installed and to its "bin" subdirectory.
12) Go up to "Edit" and select "Paste"
13) "Yes" you do want to replace the existing file modified in October with the file modified in September.
14) Place M4 Disc 2 in your DVD drive.
15) Start M4.
16) Try things out. Did this help? If so, report back here so we know. If not, report back here so we know then follow the following instructions:

1) Place the blue MYST IV (Disc 1) DVD in your computer's drive
2) Using WIN Explorer find the D:\win32\bin folder
3) Highlight the 15 M4..........DLL files dated 9/4/2004
4) Copy these files to your C:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Myst IV - Revelation\bin folder - allow these files to overwrite the existing files dated 10/20/20004

--- The latter set of instructions will fully regress the patch, allowing you to play Myst as if you didn't install it. The former set only replaces the shader functionality, which at least on my system fixed the graphical errors -- but allowed me to keep the patches to Haven and Spire. The only drawback to keeping a portion of the patch is that Depth of Field no longer works for me.

--------------

In other news. Ubi is aware of these problems and is working on a patch that should be coming out soonish.

Maz

Philkb
11-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Looks like all is OK. I went back to the other ages and the book readings and memories work fine. So, as of now, I'm quite happy. It all could be because I'm using an older graphics card, a GeForce Ti200 with drivers 5.2.1.6, about a year old.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Philkb:
I wondered about that one myself. I applied the patch and all appeared to be dandy, allowing to finish Haven and Spire, then on to Serenia. I first notice the symptom you mentioned when reading Achenar's journal in Serenia. It too was a pulsating blur when being read aloud but clear when read silently. Hmmm... Perhaps I too am experiencing one of problems with the new patch. I'll have to recheck at some memory spots to see if ones I previously saw clearly will now be blurred.
I'm using a GeForce 3 Ti200 on my system and all seemed to be OK after the patch but now I'm wondering. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>