PDA

View Full Version : Realistic sinking times - a thought

flyinj
03-19-2005, 06:35 AM
I've also noticed that almost all the ships I kill break in half.

Then again, I've also noticed that I REALLY have to pound these things to get them to die.

This is what I think realistic sinking times means:

If you hit a ship with a torpedo, it will start to list. If you stick around for an hour, it will eventually sink. You just don't get the "this target is dead" message until it actually sinks.

What I've been doing is thinking I needed to see that message before I knew something was dead.

If this is true, it makes total sense that things are breaking in half. When I nail a ship *4* times with a torpedo, it's bound to eventually just snap.

DocMcCoy
03-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Up to now I've not seen a "realistic sinking". Some boats stay on the surface for DAYS until you sink them. Some boats break in two... VERY realistic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Dutch_vn38416
03-19-2005, 07:15 AM
I believe it all has to do with the weakpoints of the ship, if you hit them in the engine room and it blows them to hell its going to sink pretty fast, if you it in in other weakpoint, that isn't quite that explosive, it will sink slowly. I've seen quite a few ships that didn't break in half and sank slowly, a C2 Cargo ship comes to mind when I shot a torp into its keel (low middle part of the ship) it slowed down and started to list quite a bit then capsized and that was it, quite an amazing show, I could just imagine the crew bailing out into the water and watching thier ship sink.