PDA

View Full Version : Why did Ubisoft use game design from 1995?

Kazutoyo
05-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Back in 1995 when the CD-ROM games were new, the developers and publishers were excited about the extra storage over floppies, and how it could be used for movie sequences but more importantly voices! Games didn't need to rely on text anymore, and they were very eager to show how "awesome" real voices are! As such, games often didn't have any subtitles so you couldn't read anything if you wanted, and was totally unskippable so the player was forced to listen to the long dialogues, even when they later replay the game and know what's being said.

Assassin's Creed have the exact same problem. No subtitles and the long boring dialogues are not skippable. And not just Assassin's Creed, but other recent Ubisoft titles too, such as Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

What exactly caused Ubisoft to make this ridiculous decision to turn back game friendliness design a decade?

breakdown89
05-17-2009, 09:32 AM
yeah i did find that kind of annoying how even after you beat the game, you couldn't skip the dialogue sequences with al mualim.

bornforhaze
05-17-2009, 09:39 AM
You need to be able to skip cutscenes in AC2. Hint hint ubi...

drfeelgood8849
05-17-2009, 01:26 PM
god, don't people care about the story of a game any more? quit whining and appreciate the fact that there are people providing great games for you.

Kazutoyo
05-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by drfeelgood8849:
god, don't people care about the story of a game any more? quit whining and appreciate the fact that there are people providing great games for you.
That's a rather silly thing to say.

What's the point of a good story when you don't let the people know what it's about since it lack subtitles? Not everyone have perfect hearing.

As far as I'm concerned, the story pretty much goes "kill, kill, kill, oh look a glowing hologram of the earth where did that come from?, the end".

And the unability to skip the dialogues do get bothersome after you played the game, especially so when you can't follow the dialogue. At least it's a good oppertunity to go to the kitchen and make a cup of hot chocolate.

For having a very friendly streamlined controls during the actual gameplay, it's surprisingly unfriendly in the menus and dialogues.

LaurenIsSoMosh
05-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Although your statement has been made countless times before you, your points are interesting and unique. High five.

@ Doc: Okay, so what happens on your second playthrough? Or when you're replaying a certain memory for the third time? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Sorry, but at least giving people the option to skip is not a bad thing. It's a shame that some people don't care, but hey, they did pay for it.

breakdown89
05-17-2009, 09:25 PM
exactly lauren! i mean i could understand ubi not giving you the option to skip on your first playthough, since the story is really interesting and intriguing, but c'mon, after all is said and done, why can't i fast foward??? lol.

drfeelgood8849
05-17-2009, 10:22 PM
sorry, i hear this complaint so much that i usually don't bother to read anymore. the option to skip is a good thing but a lot of times i just hear people saying that they don't care about the story and just want to get back to the killing. but i do think it should be required to watch them on your first play through. i know this is what you guys were saying now, so sorry.

LaurenIsSoMosh
05-18-2009, 06:00 AM
i do think it should be required to watch them on your first play through. QFT

And then after it's over, the Animus should give you a pop quiz on what just happened. If you weren't paying attention, you should have to watch it again.

After satisfactory completion of the quiz, that particular cutscene can be skipped.

^_^

King32Godfather
05-19-2009, 10:47 PM
thats good lauren http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

moqqy
05-19-2009, 11:00 PM
sorry, i hear this complaint so much that i usually don't bother to read anymore. the option to skip is a good thing but a lot of times i just hear people saying that they don't care about the story and just want to get back to the killing. but i do think it should be required to watch them on your first play through. i know this is what you guys were saying now, so sorry.

So what if some or even most people don't care about the story? That's NOTHING away from you - it only improves the chances of AC2 & 3 being made as they supported the game with their money.