PDA

View Full Version : best convergence and deflection ranges

VMF513_Sandman
06-08-2004, 05:29 AM
what's the best convergance and best range for deflections? with being on midnites, my flight time has been severely limited. i've seen 109 mg's firing and hitting at like .4 and i just cant seem to figure these 109/190's out shooting wise. same for p-xx for deflections since the rounds vanish 300' in front of the bird. right now its at 220...should it be longer

VMF513_Sandman
06-08-2004, 05:29 AM
what's the best convergance and best range for deflections? with being on midnites, my flight time has been severely limited. i've seen 109 mg's firing and hitting at like .4 and i just cant seem to figure these 109/190's out shooting wise. same for p-xx for deflections since the rounds vanish 300' in front of the bird. right now its at 220...should it be longer

BitwiseOp
06-08-2004, 06:13 AM
Best range and convergence is whatever you are 'comfortable' with... generally the closer you are the better you will be able to aim (at least down to a point where you can't frame the target properly without ramming it).

Most pilots will tell you 'when you think you're close enough - get closer'. Get close - be sure of your shot (don't spray the target with 5 second bursts like the 'friendly' AI fighters)

220 metres is probably a little long unless you're shooting at large bombers. You should consider how far it is in real life... then imagine how much lead you have to give when the closing speed between you and the target is 200-400mph.

I have MG convergence set at 200 and cannon at 175 and I can manage some deflection shots at those ranges (I'll be the first to admit that I'm a decent pilot but a lousy shot...)

Deflection shooting is something that you have to practice and practice - start off with small angles and work up to larger deflections- you have to work on getting the angle you want and estimating the enemy plane vector, speed and then put your plane in the right spot... not an easy task and no wonder that many pilots just sit on their target's six and blast away.

The AI planes have some serious gunnery skills though - I won't say they never miss but they can do long range sniping that is beyond most mere mortals especially AI gunners on bombers ...once again I was picked off with a single round 'headshot' last night at > 600 metres http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/51.gif

VMF513_Sandman
06-08-2004, 07:53 PM
b-17's are too easy to flame now with the 50's. they might as well be betty's now. 1 burst and their basically through. expert ai gunners tho will make u pay for it if u dont z&b. but the fighters dont do these f-16 type climbs like online either...their spiral dives is hard to lock onto, but they'll also fire with been able to get hits from .3 out that will criple just about any bird u fly with just a small amount of fire...including the 50 cal's.