PDA

View Full Version : Connection Speed Efects

bmoffa
09-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Lately I've noticed that when I have one of the fastest connections in a game session, I get taken down a lot more by 1 or 2 shots from head-on or near head-on attacks. Today, for example my ping rate was showing about 55, while nearly all the other players where in the 155 to 200+ range. That would tell me that the server is getting my information 3 to 4 (or more) times faster than most of the other players and that I am getting visual information that is quite a bit older than what my opponent is seeing. I consider myself a mediocre pilot at best, but I think in this case a fast connection can be a disadvantage.

Does anyone have any hard information or opinions on this?

bmoffa
09-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Lately I've noticed that when I have one of the fastest connections in a game session, I get taken down a lot more by 1 or 2 shots from head-on or near head-on attacks. Today, for example my ping rate was showing about 55, while nearly all the other players where in the 155 to 200+ range. That would tell me that the server is getting my information 3 to 4 (or more) times faster than most of the other players and that I am getting visual information that is quite a bit older than what my opponent is seeing. I consider myself a mediocre pilot at best, but I think in this case a fast connection can be a disadvantage.

Does anyone have any hard information or opinions on this?

ytareh
09-15-2007, 01:13 PM
I would have thought that YOU had the advantage...

mbfRoy
09-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Better ping means that you get the server packets first, so you should get any info the server is sending before everyone else. To me that's an advantage

AFJ_rsm
09-15-2007, 01:57 PM
higher pings are an advantage

many times i've been fighting guys with 500+ pings. I hide my wingspan, do all the evasive maneuvers when I see on my screen that they're about to get a shooting solution.

After I pull all my fancy moves and start thinking how awesome I am, I see them shoot at emptyness (sometimes I don't even see them shoot), and my wing falls off.

You gotta just play it cool and congratulate them with a GK. Most of the times they say thanks. Other times they say nothing, and on a rare occasion a super cool dude will reveal himself by saying "nah I was lagging, I took advantage of it, hope to fight you again some other time on a more equal ping condition"

AFJ_rsm
09-15-2007, 01:58 PM
also the opposite holds true sometime, you can be on their six and see them as sitting ducks. That's because they're lagging so far behind that they haven't even begun to think of you as a threat.

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-15-2007, 02:44 PM
I play in Zekes vs Wildcats or Spit vs 109s with a 20ms ping and I play in UK Ded2 with a 120ms ping. I have never noticed a difference.

S!