PDA

View Full Version : You can still "hide" in 3.01

Jumoschwanz
11-26-2004, 07:45 AM
ON HL a few nights ago I went one on one with a good pilot on a full-difficulty server.

We turned and swooped and looped about keeping an eye on each other as best we could. This was of course easier with the 3.01 patch, but it was a lot harder than using icons or no-cockpit. I was still able to hide against the ground over a forest at one point, re-approach my searching opponent and blast him unexpectedly.

When I stand outside in my yard it is very easy for me to see planes in the sky at five to ten miles, appearing as dark or silver-white dots depending on the position of the sun.

A lot of us, myself included, have been developing tactics over the last three years that had the poor objects visibility of previous patches as an integral part. It is time to let go of these and develop new ones to fit our new and better, more realistic visibility with 3.01.
Those who do not want change for more realism are identifying themselves as gamers and not sim pilots. If improvements and realism are compromised to kater to gamers, then the Il2 series will become a game, not a sim.

Every patch brings change in all aspects of the sim. Objects visibility has always been criticized as needing improvement in the Il2 series, now it is here, let's adjust our tactics and skills and keep moving ahead with the improvements. Thanks again for the patch Oleg and company, S!

Jumoschwanz

Bearcat99
11-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Good post.

JAF77_Gamera
11-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Yeah, what he said!

SeaFireLIV
11-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Might have to develope new ones again as the patch is out!

repoman11
11-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Not quite sure what you are suggesting. Are those of us who won't play on no icon servers not real fans of the game?

I won't play in no icon servers period. With a better monitor, a better video card, and the ability to use comms, maybe. But that would involve several hundred dollars, and moving to an area where a broadband connection is available. A little extreme for a fun pastime.

Telling me that I'm not truly a fan of the game (sorry sim)because I can't tell who the enemy is on no icon servers until it is too late won't increase the popularity of those servers.

Raptor_20thFG
11-27-2004, 03:51 AM
Repo I thin you misunderstood what he is saying, he is not saying that people who do not play on no icon servers is not what Jumoschwanz is saying he is adressing the whiners of the new dots in the sky that can no longer hide in the strangest of places only to blast you when you least expect it or I could be wrong

johnbn
11-27-2004, 08:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Those who do not want change for more realism are identifying themselves as gamers and not sim pilots. If improvements and realism are compromised to kater to gamers, then the Il2 series will become a game, not a sim.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Il2 is all things to all people.
If they want it to be a game it is, if they want it to be a sim it is.
Niether is superior or inferior thats the beauty of this game/sim.

My 2 cents

repoman11
11-27-2004, 09:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor_20thFG:
Repo I thin you misunderstood what he is saying, he is not saying that people who do not play on no icon servers is not what Jumoschwanz is saying he is adressing the whiners of the new dots in the sky that can no longer hide in the strangest of places only to blast you when you least expect it or I could be wrong <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In that case, I approve of the change (now that I think about it, you can see planes from further away than before). And yes you can still hide, and you can still drop unexpectedly on the enemy.

LEXX_Luthor
11-27-2004, 08:13 PM
repoman, set yourself up to Bounce out of the FB sun-glare, and nobody will see you even with big dots (not so big at high res). 3.01 finally made us do historically correct Bounce tactics of the Aces. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Don't know if dogfight server controls sunglare...would be nice.