PDA

View Full Version : GM-1 on the 109 E Z

DmdSeeker
10-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Tried flying a 109EZ tonight; and I kept blowing the motor; what am I doing wrong?

I've read that one should engage GM-1 at low revs; so I engaged it with a running engine but closed throttle on the runway.

Push the throttle forward to 110% and I'm lucky if I get the wheels up before the engine blows; and I'm using strictly auto proppitch.

What's up with that?

DmdSeeker
10-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Tried flying a 109EZ tonight; and I kept blowing the motor; what am I doing wrong?

I've read that one should engage GM-1 at low revs; so I engaged it with a running engine but closed throttle on the runway.

Push the throttle forward to 110% and I'm lucky if I get the wheels up before the engine blows; and I'm using strictly auto proppitch.

What's up with that?

FritzGryphon
10-02-2005, 08:05 PM
GM1 is used differently from MW50.

It's nitrous-oxide injection intented to boost performance at high altitude. Nitro has more oxygen than air, so it increases the critical altitude of the engine.

According to the object viewer, it can only be used above 6500m, and will give about a 80km/h increase in top speed.

EDIT: I just tried it out ingame, and the GM1 doesn't work. At 6500m, the speed does not change, with GM1 on or off.

It used to work in previous versions, but now seems to be broken. Could you try, and see if it works for you?

DmdSeeker
10-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Ah, that explains it; thanks a lot!

VW-IceFire
10-02-2005, 09:02 PM
This might help a bit...

From the AEP Readme:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Notes on Ta-152H-1

This plane has two systems of engine boost: GM-1 for high altitudes and MW-50 for low altitudes.

GM-1 should be used at altitudes above 9,000 m
1. If you reach that altitude with the MW-50 Off, you can turn on the GM-1 by hitting W button (default).
2. If you reach that altitude with the MW-50 enabled, then you need to switch it off by hitting W and then press W again to engage the GM-1.
Bellow 9,000 m the W key operated only the MW-50 as normal.
3. If the GM-1 was engaged at a high altitude and was not disengaged below 9,000 meters, then the engine will not be damaged as on DB-605s; however no extra power will be gained from the device. This is historically correct.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can only assume the GM-1 system on the 109 operates at the same altitude....am I wrong?

DmdSeeker
10-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Just tried a quick mission.

I seem to get a slight performance increase; although it may be subjective (I'm no 109 expert nor the most accurate test pilot)although nothing in the region of 60 kmph.

However; the motor self distructs at 5999.9 m :-(