PDA

View Full Version : Starshoy gen or Paul Lowergrin's il2dcg - which is best?

Wildcat_zero
01-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi

What is the difference between il2dcg by paul lowergrin and starshoy's gen. I know they are made by two people but which one is better, or are they the same etc. I am looking for alot of air activity with random flights by the enemy. I do not want to fly anywhere on the map and not see a soul.

Gato__Loco
01-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey Wildcat,
I think IL2DCG is WAY (I mean WAY) better than DGEN. IL2DGC is a bit tricky to set up and it has a few bugs, although it must be said that Paul does a really good work with bug fixing and updates. Campaigns in IL2DCG are very customizable, in terms of axis and allies squadrons and the planes they fly, number of ground units, etc.etc. You can change all settings during the campaign. For example, if you flew a few missions and did not see, say, a squadron with I-16's, you can "force" it to appear in the next mission. Missions feel much more "real" than DGEN's (no flying for 4 hours to attack two trucks parked on the beach). What I like the most is that your actions have some visible effects on future missions. For example, if you attack a tank column and destroy every tank, then the enemy front line does not move in that area (or moves slowly). If you destroy fuel depots or trains, that also slows enemy advances, etc.etc.
Give it a try!!!

Wildcat_zero
01-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Hi

I am using it now for the past few days, its pretty good with the action flowing, though I have a few mission that are already complete and i have not took off yet. Is there any random enemy flights, because i have flown missions and i have not been bounced by the eneney nor have i bumped into them on a scavenger hunt. Also even though i have given the germans the same amount of squadrons as I have. The allies always seem to out number them. Its great but I like to see more enemy flights in the distance or many a few battles from a far like in bob.

Also what would be great would be, to add wreckage of planes on the battle sight, so whne u flew over u cold see a few of them scattered about. Yes I know its a frame issue let the user decicde etc.

Wildcat_zero
01-22-2005, 09:47 AM
bump

SeaFireLIV
01-22-2005, 10:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wildcat_zero:
Hi

I am using it now for the past few days, its pretty good with the action flowing, though I have a few mission that are already complete and i have not took off yet. Is there any random enemy flights, because i have flown missions and i have not been bounced by the eneney nor have i bumped into them on a scavenger hunt. Also even though i have given the germans the same amount of squadrons as I have. The allies always seem to out number them. Its great but I like to see more enemy flights in the distance or many a few battles from a far like in bob.

Also what would be great would be, to add wreckage of planes on the battle sight, so whne u flew over u cold see a few of them scattered about. Yes I know its a frame issue let the user decicde etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be honest, Wildcat_zero, some of these questions and wishes you want should be addressed to Lowengrin on his `Requests` forum. I asked him if he could use the `fire` and `smoke` objects as part of damage for later missions and he said he`d see what he could do - at least he responded that he`ll try.

As for the main points you made.
DCG will always say `Mission complete` at the beginning, it just does that. Lowengrin hasn`t found a way to alter that. Basically, the program is just getting that writing out of the way - you need to go do your orders. I hope you have `Primary Objectives` unticked in DCG?

To increase amount of aircraft go into `squadron editor Panel` and change Squadron Density to `Heavy`, `dense` or `Full` (this might cause slow down on your PC if at full, but on `Dense` you`ll be overwhelmed! Watch out! You`ll also have lots of random flights, enemy sweeps, recon, aircraft supply transports, etc.

Go into the `Missions Panel` and change Intercept Chance from `Random` to 25% 50% or even 100% (I like mine on random which does mean I see nothing sometimes).

Finally, read the extensive Readme that Lowengrin put in with DCG that you D\L. there`s a lot more and not every one`s going to tell you everything. It`s all in the Readme.

Starshoy`s DGEN is good, but DCG really makes you want to fight! In DGEN (Eastern Front, BOE), I can`t be bothered to attack tanks half the time, or supply trucks. In DCG, I`ve spent up to an extra 20 minutes searching out and trying kill supply vehicles, tanks, flak! All because it has an effect on the enmy`s ability to wage war which is what it`s all about.

You can even put your plane on Auto if nothing`s happening and watch major battles between both sides. I`ve had missions where our entire airfield was being ovverun and we took off under tank barrages and the sound of our own AAA firing back. In one such mission only 3 of us made it away from the Airfield in time.

(Have no Transfers on for this).

It`s really very good for what it does. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif