PDA

View Full Version : Flying the German fighters

Grand_Armee
09-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Except for online places where I want turn-and-burners I fly the bf-109, me-110, and Fw-190 exclusively.

I haven't seen much on doing things with these planes like: Manually adjusting prop pitch or mixture settings. These are supposed to be automatic, right?

So, consequently when I fly the only thing I mess with is radiator settings (I try to have a cool motor before combat if I can) and speed....and the MW-50 system.

However, I often find myself unable to keep up with other aircraft (of the same type) that are at the same altitude flying the same bearing and climbing or diving.

What can I do...if there is anything I should do to enhance performance?

BTW...here is another question: Since these types don't have adjustable rudder trim, I'm forever 'stepping on the ball' to ensure that my flight is true. Is there anything I might do to make this less labor intensive?

ViktorViktor
09-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Shame on you, you're forgetting to trim the elevators.

skarden
09-12-2007, 05:03 AM
I think the trick is to know the crazy specs about your plane,things like best turn speed,climp speed,the altitudes you change the supercharger,best climb values,what altitudes to change the mixture and so on,most on-line servers have this enabled so its worth learning.

Here's a great program called IL-2 compare if you havn't got it which will give you heaps of that type of info.

IL-2 compare (http://war.by-airforce.com/downloads/il2compare-4.07.html)

Complex Engine Management (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=249)

As far as the rudder trim goes the only thing i can think of is that if you cruise at the planes best cruise speed it should be in the center anyway,but of course this is not always an easy thing to do http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Skunk_438RCAF
09-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Perhaps its that the 109, Bf110 and FW190 arent turn and burners? They're actually better boom and zoomers.

Keep your altitude high, keep your speed up, and dive on your enemy in one burst passes. Do not start chasing someone to try to stay on their tail.

Trim your elevator so you are in a very slightly nose down attitude. Will help you keep your speed up.

Question is, what are you fighting against most of the time?

MrMojok
09-12-2007, 07:14 AM
There is no sense managing the prop pitch yourself on the Bf109 in the latest version of this game, unless you like to practice gliding.

K_Freddie
09-12-2007, 07:20 AM
No matter what you fly, If you (or your opponent ) are good at what you do, you both should quickly arrive at a point where both of you should be side-by-side. This is when the real flying starts.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

DKoor
09-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
There is no sense managing the prop pitch yourself on the Bf109 in the latest version of this game, unless you like to practice gliding. +1

Originally posted by Grand_Armee:
Except for online places where I want turn-and-burners I fly the bf-109, me-110, and Fw-190 exclusively.

I haven't seen much on doing things with these planes like: Manually adjusting prop pitch or mixture settings. These are supposed to be automatic, right?

So, consequently when I fly the only thing I mess with is radiator settings (I try to have a cool motor before combat if I can) and speed....and the MW-50 system.

However, I often find myself unable to keep up with other aircraft (of the same type) that are at the same altitude flying the same bearing and climbing or diving.

What can I do...if there is anything I should do to enhance performance?

BTW...here is another question: Since these types don't have adjustable rudder trim, I'm forever 'stepping on the ball' to ensure that my flight is true. Is there anything I might do to make this less labor intensive?
I wont speak for 190 which does it all good even turning part (just not on low speed).

109s are very poor divers and your oppo knows it. That is wh you'll see them all going into shallow or sharp dives trying to shake you off....frankly, that move is quite easy to beat. Only thing he can gain is more living time. Of course that may sometimes prove to be decisive (calling other bandits to help him etc.).
All that is required is to stay above him following him. Sure he will slowly run away but....that will last until he has altitude. After he runs out of alt, you'll catch up with him. Eventually.
Of course there are two aircraft that are almost impossible to catch : P-51 and Tempest so I don't really try to do prolonged chases with them.
If you wont I'll send you one track in which I fought the P-38 on equal terms, he tried to do the escape dive....38 as bad as it is in dive, is still competitive to 109 in this move, especially when he exits the dive, airbrakes greatly help him. I countered this move by staying on the top.

About trimming....apart from elevator softening I doubt you can really do much else to stabilize the craft further. 109 is not as stable fighter in level flight as it's allied counterparts, nose will always wonder a bit in direction of its own.

You don't have mixture settings on 190 or 109.
Also I'd strongly recommend that you leave manual pp on 109 on AUTO because as MrMojok pointed out you'll be probably flying glider in no time if you do the manual thing. And funny thing even if your engine survives, the aircraft performance is much worse on manual than on AUTO.

About radiator....keep them open when not in combat. Why not? You don't need top speed, and you wont to keep your engine as cool as possible. I practice this with almost all airplanes I fly. When you enter combat set it on AUTO, perhaps close but only if you need absolute max performance. Because your engine will overheat much faster with closed rad.

About climb. No aircraft can climb on equal terms with 109 long so that's a valuable fact to know. All climbing they will do is very high climb where you don't have the chance to follow....usually in hammerhead moves. But if they try something funny like escaping thru climb on ~300km/h climb be sure to follow, easy kill awaits!

Grand_Armee
09-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks for your answers guys.