PDA

View Full Version : "Static IP Address" Needed to Host on Hyperlobby???

ytareh
04-12-2007, 03:45 PM
I spent most of a week unsuccesfully trying to set up a server on Hyperlobby a couple of months ago....Now I reckon I had covered absolutely every possible base with all ports forwarded and every security device disabled...
I did have trouble at one stage playing COD2 and ran my IP tech support .They said that I do not have a static IP address and that this caused my COD2 online games (NOT my own servers) to lag terribly every now and then (when IP address changed)
I get pretty ok download speeds up to about 232kB/sec-well I think its ok-but with my provider you need some expensive Business/commercial package to get a static IP address
Is this why I cant host....?
I can go through the rigmarole of launching the erver but when people try and enter they get 'timed out ' messages.
Appreciate any help with this greatly.

Manos1
04-12-2007, 03:57 PM
No, I think this has nothing to do with your problems....

However, it would be good to post some information about:
You country of origin
The speed of your DSL connection
The model of the router + DSL modem you use
How often your provider resets your DSL connection (In Germany it is once every 24hours)
Whether you are aware of what a "Dynamic DNS address" is (see and log yourself (it is free) at www.dyndns.com) (http://www.dyndns.com))
~S~

ytareh
04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
OK heres what you suggested I post:

Rep Of Ireland

2048/256(kbps)

Netopia 3347NWG

The engineer I spoke to may have said every hour IP address is changed (is that what you meant by 'reset'?)

Dynamic DNS Address -dont know what it is and link didnt work...

Thanks again it would be great if you could help me fix this...

JG52Uther
04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
I could not host through my router until I got a static ip

ytareh
04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Can static IP address only be got through net provider or does the company in the link above

dyndns dot com

(the link is broke but site works)

'solve' this problem?

meter2007
04-12-2007, 06:40 PM
One should be able to set the ip in the router to a static ip.It has nothing to do with the server you use or how expensive it is. Check out the site www.portforward.com (http://www.portforward.com) for specifics as to how and why one should do this. I too was unable to host till I put in a static ip. Another cause of the inability to host can be if your computer has two net connections on your internet card and you inadvertently changed over the one you connect to the internet through. I recently had to take my computer in to replace a power supply and when I reconnected I had plug into the 2nd connection plug. It seems that it only set one plug as being a static ip connection while keeping the other as a dynamic Ip.when I swapped it back to the first I was able to host just fine.

SithSpeeder
04-13-2007, 01:40 AM
This thread is confusing me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

I have a cable modem which gets a dynamically assigned IP address. It is connected to a router which is then connected to my computer. My computer has a static address with respect to the router.

I can host hyperlobby games no problem, I just have to remember to set my ZoneAlarm Internet Security from High to Medium (otherwise, people get the 'connection timed out' message). That is, once the proper port forwarding is done, the application is granted access through the firewall, etc.

Regardless, try posting in the Community Help forum, as well.

* _54th_Speeder (who's not sure if he helped at all) *

ytareh
04-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Well surprise ,surprise ALL the Irish Internet Service Providers charge through the nose for a static IP address!!!(Only available on 'Business ' packages)
I tried to set up the router myself as described in one of the linked sites instructions but without success....

RxMan
04-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Does any provider change your dynamic address every hour?? That makes no sense to me. Once you lease (attach), your IP shouldn't change until you disconnect (for a length of time), or rarely at other times. I have had the same dynamic address for at least 6 months now, (since I changed router and the modem was off for several days) No change occured after I inadvertantly turned my modem off over night last month. Only once I remember it changeing with no action on my part, and that was a year or more ago. My modem and router stay on 24 hours a day, one computer most of the time, my game machine only when doing video work or playing, my laptop rarely (used mostly for travel).
I have 2 desktop computers hard wired and 1 laptop on the wireless side of a dLink router connected to a cable modem to COX Communications with speed of 7 Mbs d/l speed on the WinXP system and half that on the older W98SE system. I run ZoneAlarm, SpySweeper, and AVG anti-virus at all times. I could join easily with no problems or alterations to settings, and once I forwarded port 21000 in my router settings I could host at HyperLobby or directly. Just wish I had more time to fly.

ytareh
04-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Yes 'Lease' lasts exactly an hour here on my irish broadband.(2Meg)
I even tried changing IP address in Expert Mode of my router software to no avail-just cant connect to net whatever changes I make

BaldieJr
04-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Have you considered pooling the resources of some friends (aka begging for $$) and leasing a server?

When I had my server up it was leased through serverbeach.com. They wont suit you because of location, but surely you can find an affordable datacenter in your country.

Just a thought.

ytareh
04-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Well I got the providers tech support to set up a Static IP address in my Network Connections setting in XP Control Panel
But STILL no joy on Hyperlobby (other users timed out)
Here are my open ports:
TCP AND UDP 21000
TCP AND UDP 1698

Redwulf 32 - Nis
04-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Well surprise ,surprise ALL the Irish Internet Service Providers charge through the nose for a static IP address!!!(Only available on 'Business ' packages).

S! ytareh,

That sucks bigtime. Ireland was late when IP address ranges were being dealt out in the 90's = only a limited range for Ireland http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif. That's probably why they're stingy on the static IP's.

Dynamic IP addresses shouldn't block you (at least not while you *do* have an IP address) however many ISP's (out of sheer paranoia) routinely block any source traffic NOT taking place on the well-known ports used by the great unwashed hordes (non-business users in their mindset) i.e. HTTP, POP3 and SMTP. I know that "unwashed horde" users using TDC in Denmark are blocked from using port 25 (SMTP), most likely in a vain attempt to limit spam-mail. Setting up my own mailserver had me jumping backwards through flaming hoops to get port 25 enabled. Maybe you should lean on your "friendly ISP support guy" and see if this is your problem.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Ready for Saturday?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Cya there.

SithSpeeder
04-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes 'Lease' lasts exactly an hour here on my irish broadband.(2Meg) Wow, that's quite a shell game they have going on there.

Is there anyone else in your area (or is their tech support aware of others) who are able to host games like IL2?

Regardless, I don't believe that your dynamic IP is causing the timeouts in HL. Have you hit the FAQs on the HL site? Maybe posted in the HL forums afterwards?

HL requires Trigger port 1698 (set in my router). You can also try taking your router out of the mix by hooking our modem directly to your computer. That way, you'll be able to tell if your router is giving you grief. Also, most routers have Log's that show what they've blocked...you may want to investigate that for clues, particularly during times when someone tried to connect with you.

The same is true for your firewall (re: Log file). Unless you are DMZ-ing (which I do NOT recommend but which you may be trying just to see if it works).

* _54th_Speeder *

ytareh
04-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Well thanks for all the help guys but it looks like Im gonna have to give up on this -Ive tried everything I reckon.Thank God I can at least play on Hyperlobby!!(Yes Redwulf Im training hard for Saturday nights big60-90min mission!)

Redwulf 32 - Nis
04-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Well thanks for all the help guys but it looks like Im gonna have to give up on this -Ive tried everything I reckon.Thank God I can at least play on Hyperlobby!!(Yes Redwulf Im training hard for Saturday nights big60-90min mission!)

S! ytareh,

One more thing came to mind. When you "port forward" in your router, you have to specify which IP address (internal LAN address, in your case, your machine) to forward to. Make sure you are port forwarding to the (most likely 192.168.xxx.xxx) static IP address the "support guy" gave you.

Just a thought.

-HH-Quazi
04-13-2007, 09:37 AM
http://www.dyndns.com/

This site can provide you with a worded IP address and it keeps up with your ever changing dynamic IP address. So no matter how many times a day your IP changes, this site keeps up with it and your worded IP address you are given will never change. Works great for me. Not only for hosting, but also for the TeamSpeak servers I run for the K9 squadrons. Plus, it is free of charge. Check it out. Hopefully it will help.

Old_Canuck
04-13-2007, 10:43 AM

I'm technically challenged in this area but a technician where I work suggested using a switch. So now when I want to host in HL it's a simple matter of pulling the connections from the router and plugging them into a switch. Have been simultaneously hosting a few coops in HL on one computer and Teamspeak on another computer using a switch. FSecure firewall has blocked any attempts by hackers to get past this setup so far.

Manos1
04-13-2007, 04:00 PM
I am a bit shocked to hear that in Ireland the IP changes every hour !

You will be happy to know that Hyperlobby can follow changes of IP wihtout requiring restart (Jiri fixed that for me a year ago when I identified a bug in HL).

I run the 335th_GR Dedicated Server 24/24 and I have programmed my router to reset the connection every day at 08:00 (when nobody is online).
I never tested what happens if somebody is online at that moment though.

So go to www.dyndsn.com (http://www.dyndsn.com) get a free account and then check whether your router supports dynamicDNS, then enter the necessary information of your new dyndns account in the DynamicDNS options of your router and try it.

Good luck!

335th_GRAthos

wolfenok1980
01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
I had the dynamic IP address and wasn't able to host. If anybody knows the ways instead IP problems. Can u tell me them? Cause I've solved my problem with www.strongvpn.com (http://www.strongvpn.com) of course I have now perfect service and fast connection but it costs some money, that I think is not so good for my purse. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif