PDA

View Full Version : So Far Desmond ethnicity

Radman500
09-05-2011, 09:14 PM
he is part Middle Eastern (Altair)

he is part English (Maria)

he is part Italian (Ezio)

is there any other ethnicities i might of missed....

FuseUnison
09-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Well, it's also been said that Desmond is descended from "Those who came before", but I really don't know what you would call that. Those who came before-ian?

And I think it's indicated in the Revelations GamesCom trailer that Altair was born in Masyaf. So I guess that instead of "Middle Eastern" we might technically be able to designate him as Syrian maybe? =/

kriegerdesgottes
09-05-2011, 09:54 PM
In the course of a thousand years you can literally be related to hundreds if not thousands of different people all coming from all kinds of different bloodlines.

Radman500
09-05-2011, 09:55 PM
part syrian part english and part italian

What the he**.... lol weird combination

EnglishPhoenix
09-05-2011, 11:20 PM
He's all of those. My uncle traced my family back, and my lineage comes from a buttload of countries. So I'm German, Dutch, British, etc. Not just only one. So like me, Desmond is part of everywhere his ancestors came from.

kriegerdesgottes
09-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Also just food for thought, Desmond's name is French for "of the world". Des Mond.

LightRey
09-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
Also just food for thought, Desmond's name is French for "of the world". Des Mond.
If you take away the 's' it's also Dutch for "the mouth" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

eagleforlife1
09-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by EnglishPhoenix:
He's all of those. My uncle traced my family back, and my lineage comes from a buttload of countries. So I'm German, Dutch, British, etc. Not just only one. So like me, Desmond is part of everywhere his ancestors came from.

You do know that there's four countries in Britain? England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

albertwesker22
09-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EnglishPhoenix:

You do know that there's four countries in Britain? England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You beat me to that post! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FuseUnison
09-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:

And "Miles" means "a soldier" in Latin. Interesting etymology I'd say. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HiddenMutation
09-06-2011, 10:33 AM
If you google the "meaning of Desmond" you'll find a bunch of other meanings as well. I've seen "Man from South Munster," "Gracious defender," "society," and "Man of the world."

eguar.2011
09-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by HiddenMutation:
If you google the "meaning of Desmond" you'll find a bunch of other meanings as well. I've seen "Man from South Munster," "Gracious defender," "society," and "Man of the world."

EmmaBemma
09-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
You do know that there's four countries in Britain? England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
lol, nitpicky. Describing Britain as a country is perfectly legitimate, IMO.

LightRey
09-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by EmmaBemma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
lol, nitpicky. Describing Britain as a country is perfectly legitimate, IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think the Irish would beg to differ. :P

blazefp
09-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by eguar.2011:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HiddenMutation:
If you google the "meaning of Desmond" you'll find a bunch of other meanings as well. I've seen "Man from South Munster," "Gracious defender," "society," and "Man of the world." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just quoting other people's posts is not the best way to start in a forum. Welcome anyway

rob.davies2014
09-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmaBemma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
lol, nitpicky. Describing Britain as a country is perfectly legitimate, IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think the Irish would beg to differ. :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As would the Welsh! Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

MT4K
09-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by RussellSparrow:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmaBemma:
As would the Welsh! Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The scottish as well, and that's coming from me. an Englishman lol.

Kind of similar to how in the olden days. even during world war 2 many people would just call Great Britain "England". It was incorrect, but people just found it easier i suppose, or they just couldn't remember all the other countries and so they shortened it to just "England". Similar to now how he said "British" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif.

vickiticki
09-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by MT4K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RussellSparrow:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
As would the Welsh! Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kind of similar to how in the olden days. even during world war 2 many people would just call Great Britain "England". It was incorrect, but people just found it easier i suppose, or they just couldn't remember all the other countries and so they shortened it to just "England". Similar to now how he said "British" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Technically, Ireland is not part of Britain. Britain refers to the island that contains England, Scotland, and Wales. The UK is made up of Britain and Northern Ireland--the full title is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Sometimes people just refer to the whole thing as Britain, but we don't know what the original poster meant by Britain, so I'm assuming she's referring to the island of Great Britain. But I might be wrong.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with just saying your family comes from Britain--she or he might descended from more than one country in Britain. I usually tell people I have family in Britain, because I have a sister in England and a sister in Scotland, so it's just easier to say "Britain" then "England and Scotland." (Also, my sister in Scotland has some Scottish and Irish friends, so I'm aware how bad it is to refer to the whole thing as England)

Jjfd99
09-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Thats crazy how he is so many, i wonder how many i am.

MT4K
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
@ Vickiticki

Yes i am fully aware of those things. I was just trying to make a comparison between how it's just easier to say Britain or England instead of everything.

Explaining all that you just did to people outside of "Britian :P lol" can be a nightmare so it really is just easier. I didn't mean to imply that it was wrong in any way. just that it was incorrect on a technicality :P.

Hopefuly your sisters like it over here at least http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif regardless of where abouts :P.

LightRey
09-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by vickiticki:
Technically, Ireland is not part of Britain. Britain refers to the island that contains England, Scotland, and Wales. The UK is made up of Britain and Northern Ireland--the full title is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Sometimes people just refer to the whole thing as Britain, but we don't know what the original poster meant by Britain, so I'm assuming she's referring to the island of Great Britain. But I might be wrong.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with just saying your family comes from Britain--she or he might descended from more than one country in Britain. I usually tell people I have family in Britain, because I have a sister in England and a sister in Scotland, so it's just easier to say "Britain" then "England and Scotland." (Also, my sister in Scotland has some Scottish and Irish friends, so I'm aware how bad it is to refer to the whole thing as England)
Crap, you're right. Luckily my sig was prepared for this day.

kriegerdesgottes
09-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
If you take away the 's' it's also Dutch for "the mouth" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol true I never even thought of that, wir sagen aber "mund" auf deutsch :P

EnglishPhoenix
09-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by vickiticki:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MT4K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RussellSparrow:

Kind of similar to how in the olden days. even during world war 2 many people would just call Great Britain "England". It was incorrect, but people just found it easier i suppose, or they just couldn't remember all the other countries and so they shortened it to just "England". Similar to now how he said "British" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also don't think there is anything wrong with just saying your family comes from Britain--she or he might descended from more than one country in Britain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, mostly they were English, but I'm pretty sure there was some history in Scotland and Wales.

Jjfd99
09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Jesus, thats alot of ethnic backgrounds!

EnglishPhoenix
09-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Funny enough, that's only my mom's side of the family. Add in my dad's side and it's more than doubled.

LightRey
09-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by EnglishPhoenix:
Funny enough, that's only my mom's side of the family. Add in my dad's side and it's more than doubled.
I'm just really really really really really Dutch. Even though I'm not tall and I don't have blond hair D:

Blind2Society
09-08-2011, 01:37 AM
My buddy from Hawaii has 14 different nationalities.

Back on topic, I would imagine because Desmond is a fictional character, we will never know of what and how many nationalities he truly consists.

@jfd99: check your PM.