PDA

View Full Version : Multiple installations question

Noxx0s
01-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Alright, like a ******* I only had one copy of IL-2 installed, didn't keep vanilla... 4.09m 2.01 UP modded... so I was wondering since all the server are switching to 4.10 now... can I just install IL-2 straight from the exe? (I got it digital version... D2D) Or will that screw up my other IL-2 installation?

Also, note that my other modded IL-2 installation folder (which I need to keep for now for some servers/other things) is named "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 UP2.01" so... I don't THINK that a new install would go in there... or would it?

Thanks

kimosabi79
01-15-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking but what I do with my Steam IL-2 is that I go into the Steam folder, find the game and copy it. From there I can place the game(and run it) from anywhere I like. Usually from my desktop.

Troll2k
01-15-2011, 03:20 PM
You can have multiple installs(copies) on your hard drive.Like Kimosabi79 said you can just copy and paste the folder anywhere.You can also install multiple times.Just install to a different path each time.If you have W7 or Vista you can install anywhere except to the "program files" folder.

Romanator21
01-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Different path didn't quite work for me. It tried to uninstall my first copy before installing the second. I had to install the game on another computer and then use a flash-drive to make a copy on my computer.

I had 4.09 unmodded, but I was unsure what MATManager and DCG would do to 4.10. It was probably an unnecessary precaution.

M2morris
01-15-2011, 08:08 PM
I have the normal install in program files and the modded version in its own folder named differently on the hard drive. That worked for me when I had trouble getting the game to start.

Ba5tard5word
01-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Is there a way to install a new stock copy from the disk? When I try to it tries to uninstall the game. I have a UP install and I just want a non-modded stock install as a backup but I can't figure out how to do it. I don't think I can copy and paste the current folder and uninstall UP from it.

R_Target
01-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Is there a way to install a new stock copy from the disk? When I try to it tries to uninstall the game. I have a UP install and I just want a non-modded stock install as a backup but I can't figure out how to do it. I don't think I can copy and paste the current folder and uninstall UP from it.

Can't you cut-n-paste the mod install to a different location (desktop, other HDD...) and then install the game to the default path? I don't think the disk can uninstall if it doesn't know the path to the mod install.

JSG72
01-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I copied my modded 4.09m to my external drive and copied the FB execute file to Desktop (Renameing it EXHD).
I then wiped my install from internal drive.
I did a fresh IL2'46 install and added the patches to 4.10. with the normal Desktop exe. file.
Then just for the hell of it I copied my External copy back to Program files(x86)and renamed it modded 4.09 and copied that versions exe. to Desktop and renamed it the same.
So now I have 3xdesktop IL2 exe.s all working fine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

thefruitbat
01-16-2011, 12:56 PM
i'll raise your three il2fb.exe to five, lol.

Ba5tard5word
01-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I guess I could do that...I've been meaning to get an external HD anyway.

PhantomKira
01-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Just in case you'd prefer it, there is a mod for UP 2.01 that will allow a UP 2.01 install to run Stock 4.10 with JSGME. Due to JSGME, enabling/disabling, is super quick and painless. Beware, though, I got my 2.01 doing the odd switch to Cyrillic (Russian) instead of English that it's done in the past when I did something to make it unhappy. Odd...