PDA

View Full Version : Motivations and Story

DreamerM
11-26-2007, 10:14 AM
this topic stemmed from a debate I had with a friend who said he was "very disapointed" with AC, that he was "underwhelmed from the start" by the game (which he hasn't played, which he's just watch his roommate and myself play) and which he thinks could have been done a lot better.

His complaints were all about the story. He's pre-med and gets huffy at the fake-genetic talk, insisting "genes don't work like that," as well as ranting against Dr. Beardface's "source of cancer" speech, complaining "whoever wrote this has NEVER picked up a medical book in their lives!"

He did have one point though: the concept that a guy, even a very skilled guy, can flippantly disregard all three central beliefs of his order, plus leave two of his comrades to die, and NOT get executed requires a big suspention of disbelief. I'm no history expert, but that clashes strongly with the ruthless impressions that I always associated with the Assassin clan. Even if, if he'd died after the first mission went wrong, we wouldn't have much of a game.

The only answer I could think was that they must have some concrete reason for letting Altair, specifically, live even after he betrayed everything they live for. Something more then just normal assination missions: they have plenty of other operatives who are almost as skilled and cause them much less trouble. The ideal they serve is bigger then any one man, even one as l33t as Altair.

I hope I'm not thinking too much into it, I know that there are more important factors then story when making a game, but at the same time, if you're going to include a story at all you should put at least as much thought into it as those who play your game might. Not many of them will look that deep, but the ones who do should find that you put at least as much thought into it as they did.

DeAdLy2323
11-26-2007, 10:19 AM
i dont understand, are you bashing the game or saying it was good?

DreamerM
11-26-2007, 10:37 AM
I, of course, think the game is great, one of the best I've played in years, or else I wouldn't be on this forum.

That said, I'm open to feeling conflicted about the story and the motivations of the characters that drive it. Confliction, after all, is the raison de tete of the artist. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Altair for one gets kudos from me for having several opposing motivations at work at any given time: he wants to reclaim his honor but prove at the same time that he never lost it and that he doesn't need the approval of his clan even while he works his way back towards being accepted by them again. His duty-bound drive to take and follow orders also clashes with his curiosity about the strange actions of his marks and his own increasing sense of uncertainty about the motivations behind their deaths and the role he's really playing. Of course, as a disgraced cast-out of the clan, he's not in a position to question his orders to his superiors, but he does anyway, which is why we love him: he might have lost his rank but his spirit he kept.

Not often to video game characters get more then one motivation, and seeing three vying for control of his actions makes him more interesting and relatible, and the choices he makes out of the mess tell us what kind of guy he really is.

Tela
11-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by DreamerM:
I, of course, think the game is great, one of the best I've played in years, or else I wouldn't be on this forum.

That said, I'm open to feeling conflicted about the story and the motivations of the characters that drive it. Confliction, after all, is the raison de tete of the artist. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Altair for one gets kudos from me for having several opposing motivations at work at any given time: he wants to reclaim his honor but prove at the same time that he never lost it and that he doesn't need the approval of his clan even while he works his way back towards being accepted by them again. His duty-bound drive to take and follow orders also clashes with his curiosity about the strange actions of his marks and his own increasing sense of uncertainty about the motivations behind their deaths and the role he's really playing. Of course, as a disgraced cast-out of the clan, he's not in a position to question his orders to his superiors, but he does anyway, which is why we love him: he might have lost his rank but his spirit he kept.

Not often to video game characters get more then one motivation, and seeing three vying for control of his actions makes him more interesting and relatible, and the choices he makes out of the mess tell us what kind of guy he really is.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Very nicely put. It's like YOU were the one planning the character.

DeAdLy2323
11-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by DreamerM:

Not often to video game characters get more then one motivation, and seeing three vying for control of his actions makes him more interesting and relatible, and the choices he makes out of the mess tell us what kind of guy he really is. ah i understand now thank you

DreamerM
11-26-2007, 09:50 PM
ah i understand now thank you

Did I break your mind? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif