PDA

View Full Version : What was your first experience of online like?

deskpilot
03-31-2009, 09:44 AM
I've just flown online twice, with 2 very friendly groups of guys who were patient with me and my general ineptitude. i can see a long slog of crashes, spins, stalls and general ****-ups ahead before I get any good. Highlight for me so far has been actually landing a few rounds on a Me110 before being blown out of the sky. I was wondering what your first experience of online flying was like and how you were able to persevere?

megalopsuche
03-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Online flying in Il-2 or first time flying online at all?

First time flying online was back around 1993 with dynamix's Red Baron. I can't remember much of what happened, but I'm pretty sure I was shot down quickly. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I didn't actually persevere because the warps and connection quality were terrible. Later I started flying Warbirds online around 1997 or 98, and again was shot down a lot. Eventually I got the hang of things and was able to score kills and not be taken by surprise. Persevering was a matter of stubbornness: being shot down again, and again, and again, often by the same opponent, but still being willing to get up again for more.

First time flying online in Il-2 I shot down an Fm-2 that tried to bounce me. I didn't even see him until he pinged me because of the unexpectedly short icon ranges on the server, so he must've been new to online air combat (I should've been dead).

TheCrux
03-31-2009, 10:38 AM
My 1st online flight was also my 1st time flying "full real" ( full switch ) settings. Winging for a squadron CO who had just before help me set up TS and get on comms.

Found it all very overwhelming: It was all I could do just to maintain some semblance of formation, and regain visual if I lost sight of him....let alone be an effective fighter/wingman.

deskpilot
03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
during my first online sessin last Saturday, one of the missions was flying A20 bobmbers, and, being totally unused to flying bombers I forgot to load any bombs! fortunately I did manage to strafe a couple of planes before I clipped a building and crashed. It's like you said, megalopsuche, be prepared to die and die and die again, and you will eventually get better ( at least that's what I keep telling myself).

rnzoli
03-31-2009, 11:23 AM
I was shot down. 'nuff said.

the_Wakeful
03-31-2009, 11:31 AM
I believe the first time I flew online I was shot down immediately. I had no sound for some reason, so when a guy got behind me I went into a tight turn and stayed there, not realizing he was hitting me constantly. I think he laughed and called me a noob, then I cried.

Woke_Up_Dead
03-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by deskpilot:
I've just flown online twice, with 2 very friendly groups of guys who were patient with me and my general ineptitude. i can see a long slog of crashes, spins, stalls and general ****-ups ahead before I get any good. Highlight for me so far has been actually landing a few rounds on a Me110 before being blown out of the sky. I was wondering what your first experience of online flying was like and how you were able to persevere?

Hey, I think I saw you on Skies of Valour yesterday. Were you flying on that Beaufighters vs Bf-110 and 210's map with a team-mate guiding you on Ventrillo? If so, I was the one who set up that 210 for you by blowing out his engines and encouraging you to finish him, your friend was chatting with me explaining that your were new. I think your bandit managed to glide in for a landing though. In the next map I switched sides and I caught you flying your 109 on a remote part of the map. I took some long-range shots at you but I don't think you even noticed, haha. Lucky for you there was no way my IL-2 could catch you.

Anyway, if that was you then learning with a partner to guide you is a great idea. Get him to help you with situational awareness; not being aware of a lumbering IL2 taking shots at you from your long six is not good, haha.

I can't remember my first online experience but I do remember my first online kills. I patiently climbed to altitude, saw a bandit flying in a straight line below me to my left, turned into him, came down screaming, and proceeded to split him in half with my propeller without firing a shot. His wreckage hit the ground before mine, yay! "Enemy Aircraft Destoryed." The next mission I flew an A-20. I dropped a bunch of parachute bombs on some trucks an a second later my rear gunner starts going crazy and I hear shots bouncing off my plane. I fumble with the controls, trying to remember how to hop into the gunner's seat, I figure it out just in time to see a Zero go down in flames behind my tail, yay! Another kill without me even squeezing the trigger yet. Same thing next mission, this time my belly-gunner got one. I go back to a single-engined fighter for my next mission, I'm flying straight and level looking at the map when some guy just comes diving in on me, fires, misses, rams me. Effin' noob, pfft. But his wreck hits the ground before mine, "Enemy Aircraft Destroyed," yay! Then to get my Ace badge I think I shot down an airplane from which the pilot bailed already, didn't notice.

Insuber
03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi,
The first time I flew online was in 2001, with Il-2. I thought "what a wonder !" then tried some take offs, but I sucked since I had bought Il2 only few days before. In fact I used to fly with closed cockpit in no-cockpit UBI servers ... I simply didn't know the existence of the no-cockpit view. And I got shot down rather quickly, of course. I remember well also my first online kill, it was a guy named bobthedog ... I think i used some millions rounds on him, he tried scissors but he was if possible even noober than me ...

Good ole times.

Regards,
Insuber

Choctaw111
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
It was unbelievably better than offline. It was a rush for sure. Even after doing it for many years off and on, it is still very good.

crucislancer
03-31-2009, 12:46 PM
I donít remember much, but I remember it was the weekend that we finally got broadband a couple of years ago, so I d/líd Hyperlobby and just hit various servers to see what it was like. For the most part, I had a good time. The only server I remember is UK Dedicated. Iím sure I got shot down more then I shot others down, but that was to be expected. I think on UK Dedicated I was flying a Yak-1 and a P-39 during one mission, another I was flying a Tempest in the jabo role taking out some V-1 sites. Not sure if it was UK Ded 1 or 2. I paired up with a lot of nice folks, and had some run ins with a few stinkers as well, but all in all the good outweighed the bad. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

deskpilot
03-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey, Woke_up_Dead, that wasn't me as it happens, but I like the idea of having someone fly with you and help you get better. I'll look out for you when I'm on "skies of valour" !

mortoma
03-31-2009, 01:06 PM
I dunno, I don't even remember what year it was or even which sim. Probably my first online kill was in the old Air Warrior sim. Pretty simple damage model it was. You aimed at another plane, hit it and it went "poof" exploding and totally disappearing.

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Hmm...Ive had two concussions (total of six lol) since 2001 so I can not remember what it was like really. Although I can tell you it was most likely frustrating since I was using my mouse and keyboard to get around.

S!

X32Wright
03-31-2009, 01:32 PM
I still remember my first online experience because I kept the ntrks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I was in Sarahzoom's server fighting AFJ,NB_,VFA-25 and LW_ squads as well as the WUAF_ and I had no clue that those were the KILLER squads! I was also fightign them in the bf-109 with kanonenboot configuration (gunpods) and was always getting killed!

Then after that I went to J.Reb's FURBALLs where I died every 45 seconds! Then I go to Greatergreen where things got a bit better because I only dlew Bf-110s and Stukas because they had TAIL GUNNERS!

To this day I still try to help a noob fly better because I SO remember how frustrating it was for a beginner to just getting to know how to TAKE off and LAND withut dying and when u do actually take off you die RIGHT AWAY!!!

slipBall
03-31-2009, 02:01 PM
I took off in a 109, after reaching a little altitude I turned my head to the starboard side to gaze out the window. I was amazed to see 3 other 109's in formation following my lead. Somehow I was using the leader skin from my campaign, and these guy's thought that I was the leader. I quess the joke was on them...I was no leader, first time for on-line play http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif
Anyway, just the fact that they responded to my markings, impressed me to hell. These guys are serious players! I thought to myself

DKoor
03-31-2009, 02:38 PM
I shot down teh I-153http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifon the first online ďsortieĒ.
BTW don't try to be fancy online... try to do job tactically wise, because you will see that online differs from offline much regarding the fact that actual human players almost always as a rule seek energy advantage over you (any kind of advantage available really).
Once you are in disadvantage position you are pretty much dead meat.
Also don't get focused on one target... always measure your chances.

If you want to get a success online it really boils down to very careful, balanced style play.
That is what most offline folks are missing (because of the bad habits that Ai ďtaughtĒ them).

I guess that is some learning curve that all of us had to pass sometimes. If you start to employ smart tactics early, you will shorten that curve.

norton1974
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
I flew a 109 and climbed to 6000 meters above my base before heading out, then i noticed tracers about 3000 meters below me so started down to the fight, it was a p51 shoting down a 109. By now my plane was shaking from to much speed and i could not line up on p51, i passed him by like he was standing still, so i climbed again watching to see where he was going. It looked like he didnt see me so i dove again, just as i was closing to gun range he turned hard to the left and i flew past once again. I climbed and circled above him and he cicled below me waiting for me to make a move, finaly he broke in one direction and i decided to run for my airbase and land, i felt like i had won because i had lived. The whole time my heart was beating out of my chest, i could not believe how exciting it was, even after flying offline for a couple of years.
This was only about 3 weeks ago on spit vs 109 so i remember it well.

ROXunreal
03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
I wrote a decent sized post when this thread was posted earlier today but my PC went to hell and I lost it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Anyway,

I play online 3 day a week when I'm at home (at uni the rest of the time), and I've only been playing for some 4-5 weeks that way. But I played offline in various intervals and periods of inactivity ever since the demo got out. I was like 13 or 14 then, and I still remember taking off with the p-39 (of all aircraft!) without any knowledge about what stalls or spins are whatsoever. Naturally it was an instant death sentence right after my wheels left the ground.

Through the years I would not play the game for very long periods, a year or more, but then always come back to it. Lastly I installed Pacific fighters a year and a half ago and played it offline until I finally decided to go online and bought 1946 a month and a half ago.

Now in the time I played offline I had gained much experience with flying itself, knew how many planes reacted and had some deflection shooting skill. I flew exclusively with the keyboard, having bought the joystick only when I decided to go online.

So I wasn't a total noob as far as flying goes, but I was as far as playing against real people goes. I had to get used to the joystick from the keyboard with which I had got quite comfortable during the last years. Now the stick is irreplaceable for aiming and keeping an angle of attack during climbs, but I can still do evasive maneuvers MUCH better with the keyboard (with externals).

Got shot down the first 2-3 days of online play, then finally scored my first kills - an IL-2 and Spit in a Spitfire, and a 109 from I don't know which craft I flew.

My kill/death ratio is 0.8 now, which is not that bad after some total 15 days of playing for 2-3 hours. I like to take a BnZ craft and get at least 3000-4000 meters of altitude and come down on them from above. I can shoot down most bombers I encounter in one or two passes, but with fighters I have less success, more than half I bounce either turn the tables on me or run away diving where I won't follow.

na85
03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
My first time online was on ubi.com lobby rather than HL. There were exactly 5 servers running, all but one with very arcade-ish settings.

I jumped into a random server and immediately took off in a FW190. I then flew around real low, not really knowing much. I immediately got my *** handed to me because the FW doesn't turn well. I was convinced that it sucked for quite some time.

This was back when 4.04m had just been released.

danjama
03-31-2009, 05:25 PM
My first time was also on UbiLobby. I got killed a couple times in a server with about 40 people, then a really cool guy picked me up and flew with me and he was really good, like OMG good, and i really really wish i could remember his name http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

He taught me alot of what i know. On that same day i got a few kills and i was hooked. Then i went to Hyperlobby and became uber by flying with loads of friends. Now i have just got back from almost 2 year hiatus and i suck again but i'm slowly gettin it back.

BTW dakadaka, just try to enjoy the game, dont worry too much about gettin kills yet. Look for me on Hyperlobby as well and i'll watch your 6. I'm Danjama who you flew with on Saturday.

julian265
03-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Hmmm. I had been flying offline for about a year, after a decent break from flight sims, and thought I was OK, being able to kill most AI aircraft by manoeuvring. (I had no idea how bad the AI is at ACM back then) Offline flying did teach me how to shoot, however.

I took off in an F4U, someone bounced me, I snap-rolled, and either crashed or was shot down.

I joined RAAF_452 (now 453), and was taught a lot, which would have taken much longer to learn the hard way.

Buzzsaw-
03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Salute

Well, my first time online would be on a RED BARON server, over 11 years ago, when I took a Camel and discovered the difference between being able to fly one offline, and online.

The Camel was an incredibly vicious little beast in RED BARON, and online, with any kind of packet loss, caused its razor sharp tendencies to be exacerbated to the point of no return.

Oh, you're talking about the original IL-2?

That was relatively simple affair, after online experience in EUROPEAN AIR WAR, WWII FIGHTERS, ACES HIGH, etc., I was pleasantly surprised at how well the game performed.

It still is the best, ten 9 years later http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Hmmmm My very first night online flight sim experience period was in CFS1 on the MSN Zone. I came on as RedtailP-51... (It was my intention even then to try to start a redtail squad online.... or join one) it was very uneventful I didn't know anything and I never got up no one was helpful. This was @ October of 01. The next night I got on ... and this time I was on as Bearcat99.. I ran into a guy named RT_99th_Amstaff.. I asked him it that RT_99th meant.... Redtail... 99th... He said yes... he introduced me to his XO RT_99th_Patches ... and the rtest is history. When I first got online I got waxed regularly... I had a stick with no rudder control.. Then I got my first MSFFB... and again.. the rest was history.. I stayed with the Redtaisl in CFS for @ a year.. then was upgrading my rig in anticipation of CFS3... and I saw this sim that I had ignored before.. because my rig couldn't handle it.. but the new one could so I bought this odd sim.... IL2... and again.. the rest was history...

Now my first night online in IL2 was a different story... by then I had experience online... and I went to Hyperlobby (The guy who told me about IL2 also told me about HL..) I had been flying the sim offline using the QMB for @ 3 weeks.. I got online in a DF server... and couldn't even take off.... This was before I had settled on an aircraft (I eventually wound up preferring the La-5 & the P-39) I ran into Redwulf_1... and I was trying to take off in my Mig and I kept crashing. He told me "It's not a Pony Bear.. " as if he was an old friend.. he suggested I try something more benign... like an La-5, and he talked me through getting up (All on the IL2 chat bar mind you..) .. and the rest was history...Needless to say my online experience in this sim was totally different from my online experience in CFS.... a much nicer crowd.. a much better sim. I saw posts in here by then IAFS_Painter....... I knew nothing about skinning or anyone here.... I asked him if he would paint a Redtail La & P-39 for me... He painted me Redtail Las.. & P-39s... in olive & aluminum.. for all 4 squadrons of the 332nd... with the old style tails (Like on the P-51Cs).... and the new style tails (Like on the P-51Ds) ... that's 32 skins 16 for each plane.... Just because I asked. AS far as I know those were the very first Redtauil skins ever made in this sim.. a few weeks later someone made a Redtail Yak skin.. He didn't know me from Adam... but he did that for me.

I have been endeared to this community ever since between those two acts of kindness....

jayhall0315
03-31-2009, 11:08 PM
My first online flight experience ever was with HL last May and I took the Corsair on a server and noticed that guys kept bouncing me. My first twenty sorties all ended in me dying badly and I kept thinking, "I know I am bad and a noob, but sheesh, I aint this bad !". It was about two weeks in when some nice gent finally said, "Hey you look like your losing SA alot, do you have the cockpit turned off ?"

I was like WTF ?!!!! Cockpit turned off ???

Needless to say, once I learned about open and closed pits my kill ratio started to climb but that first month I still only managed about 3 kills and 776 defeats. LOL

K_Freddie
03-31-2009, 11:52 PM
I actually did pretty well(50/50) on the UBI servers, considering that most were open-pit, and did a lot better when I switched to close-pit.

We eventually got our own local server, and people would come and go. I remember the one new guy (flying red)was completely lost (navigational error) and called for help from his side.
I was then a few metres behind him, so pulled my ME109 up next to him and said 'follow me', banking over him in the right direction. Once he was on course, told him to keep going straight.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Skoshi Tiger
04-01-2009, 01:38 AM
First time in IL2-I got vulched! Several Times! And left!

Next time I went on I managed to take off at least!

jamesblonde1979
04-01-2009, 02:02 AM
It was character building, my first experience.

I started off well, was cautious and got a couple of opportunistic kills.

I then became overconfident and had my arse handed too me so many times I couldn't sit down for a week.

I learned a lot about the patience, discipline and timing required to survive in aerial combat.

pensfan17
04-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Just started flying online 2 days ago. Mainly on the spit vs. 109 server flying a JU87. Getting shot down more times than not, but trying to learn. Oddly, my most enjoyable aspect of flying online is flying and talking via Teamspeak to people from around the world! To me that boggles my mind!!! BTW, you can fly open cockpit on no cockpit servers? How?

Al

jayhall0315
04-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Hit Control plus the F1 keys and your cockpit will vanish and you will a virtual HUD and gun sight. This will not work on Spits vs 109s which is full real and at the opposite end of the learning curve from open pit servers. For more tips, try the Newbie's Guide to IL Online Dogfighting, found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?shar...dc50e04e75f6e8ebb871 (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=47962757be5412c90c814df2efeadc50e04e75f6 e8ebb871)

Good luck and harden your ego now, it will take a bruising in the first weeks.

pensfan17
04-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Thanks Jayhall. I'd rather have the cockpit on.
BTW, my ego is non-existent, if not I would have quit online after my first session. Still, after only 2 days flying online, I'm really enjoying it. If anybody wants too add to their kills, look for me...I'm easy!
Al

deskpilot
04-01-2009, 06:28 AM
It's been great reading these replies to my original post. One thing I'd like to ask regarding "open" and "closed" pits. not sure exactly what that means. I just assumed that I would fly with the cockpit view on as normal, and not ever use a third person view because that would feel a bit too unrealistic to me ( although I will admit to going to third person sometimes when taxiing cos I can't see anything, and i don't want to accidentally ram someone!) I'm thinking that if some other flyers are using 3rd person view to see what's around them then any carefully constructed sneak attack is going to fail because they'll see me coming, which would be a tad annoying but there you go.

danjama
04-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Yes exactly, which is where the great debate stems from. However, open pit and externals on are different things.

OPEN PIT - refers to actually removing the cockpit from the equation. You get nasty little coloured arrows telling you where to go, and no cockpit to get in the way of your crosshairs. Purely ridiculous to me. Go and fly LockON if that's your bag in my opinion.

Externals - Actually being able to look outside your plane and as you say destroys most chances of a surprise attack. That's why altitude is the key. Plus you always get 1/10 people who have externals but have their heads too far up their own asses to remember to look every 2 seconds, so you can blast em out of the sky. This i dont mind too much. However, you can use CTRL or Shift with F1 to cycle through all planes, and this aspect i dont like. I also dont like padlocks. But i enjoy the externals on route to targets etc so i can tolerate that other people might be "cheating".

Hope that clears things up.

rnzoli
04-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by pensfan17:
If anybody wants too add to their kills, look for me...I'm easy! Well, only point-*****s will like this for an extended time. I can tell an experienced pilot from an newcomer, and to be honest, it's not fun to shoot a beginner down for the 5th time. In that case, I usually take a worse/underdog plane, or have fun getting into firing positions without actually shooting him down.

Believe me: the best advice you can get is from someone chasing you. If you can ask for a track from someone, who shot you down repetitively, it will open a whole new world - seeing your own aircraft in the crosshairs of the attacker. There is an awful lot to learn from that - things you believe good are actually wrong, and vice versa http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

pensfan17
04-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Rnzoli,

Wow, great advice. Never thought of that before. I know a JU87 is not the best choice for an online newbie like me, but even though I'm cannon fodder for alot of online pilots, I really enjoy the intensity, bordering on terror, of escaping after a divebombing run. I think for me, the transition from offline to online play is a huge step. I know things can only get better!!!

Al

orville07
04-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Got shot down, a lot. Suffered a massive crisis of confidence and thought I was "Capo di Noob", the worst pilot ever lol. I then realised when some kind soul pointed it out to me that the 10 frames a second I was getting was not "normal", and I was effectively watching a slide show.....thus explaining my apparent lack of reflexes LMAO. I was new to simming online completely, as well as to gaming rigs.....did the smart thing and watched tracks of other, better pilots and learned why I was getting my arse kicked so much. Most people start out the same, so don't get down on yourself, I guarantee you will get better. Most of all remember despite what other far too serious people may think its "Only a game" (TM), and just have fun! There are many good people who will help you out too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DKoor
04-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by orville07:
Most of all remember despite what other far too serious people may think its "Only a game" (TM), and just have fun! There are many good people who will help you out too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You nailed it to the bone... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

K_Freddie
04-03-2009, 12:15 PM
What we did when our server was a lot more popular, is tell the new guys to turn on their wing smoke, if they did not want to get shot down.

This way they could join a hectic DF, and get accustomed to the required SA, without worrying about getting shot down. Also the better pilots would set themselves up as drogues for the smoking wing guys, and give them a run for their money - In house training if you will.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

crucislancer
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
What we did when our server was a lot more popular, is tell the new guys to turn on their wing smoke, if they did not want to get shot down.

This way they could join a hectic DF, and get accustomed to the required SA, without worrying about getting shot down. Also the better pilots would set themselves up as drogues for the smoking wing guys, and give them a run for their money - In house training if you will.

Thatís a cool idea. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

What server?

There was a server that I was on very briefly during my first couple of days online, I donít recall the name but the map at the time was Okinawa, and it had 3 teams, the typical red and blue, and then gold. The gold team had their own corner of the map, and it was all for training. You could log in as a gold player to work on your carrier ops or ground attack or get together with a friend and work on tactics. All the red and blue players did their own thing on the other side of the map. It was a cool idea, but I just donít remember where I saw it.

Tully__
04-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I had no idea where I was going, where the target was, where my home base was, where my squadmates were and what had shot me down.

About 6 weeks later I actually managed to spot someone and keep them in sight long enough to shoot them down. In real life, I'd have been one of the statistics rather than one of the heros.

DKoor
04-04-2009, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Tully__:
I had no idea where I was going, where the target was, where my home base was, where my squadmates were and what had shot me down.

About 6 weeks later I actually managed to spot someone and keep them in sight long enough to shoot them down. In real life, I'd have been one of the statistics rather than one of the heros. Maybe so... but I still think you don't credit yourself enough. Simply because those "aces" that shot you down have likely passed thru same learning curve as you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
IRL everything is different... you would likely fly with more experienced squadron mate in formation, so basically all you'd have to do is follow his instructions and have your head cool. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

FoolTrottel
04-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Not sure whether it was the very first time online, but this is what happened on the first Coop mission I joined:
The Gulf of Finland winter map. I picked a Gladiator. Started flying, quickly loosing any visual contact with teammates. Kept on flying.
Eventually I saw some dots down over a built up area. Dove down, chased an enemy aircraft low over the city, firing at it. Must've missed it a lot, as I ran out of ammo, and decided to run for home... The enemy aircraft must've been in a similar state, as it left me alone.
Then suddenly, the chat bar showed the host asking if the mission could be ended.
But, hey, I was still flying, and wanted to get home. So, I type a message stating that in the chatbar.
Host answered: 'Okay, go ahead.'

But then I found out I still had to cross the entire Gulf, from north to south!
In a Gladiator. So, I typed a message in the chatbar indicating it may take me a loooong time to get home...
The host answered to just go and fly along, no worries, no hurry...
By that time, all others had long left the mission, being shot down, or landed...

And I flew to home base, took me maybe half an hour, or 40 minutes, landed the Gladiator...

Thanked the host... left the mission...
(Too bad I don't remember who that host was...)

I remember something in an early Dogfight mission too...
Flying high in a fighter, admiring the views, feeling good, enjoying the exitement of flight online... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif... picking a course that would lead me to some action... admiring the views... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif suddenly loud bangings all around (5.1 surround!) I jumped up from my chair http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif.... and there and then it ended... I got bounced good! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Burckhardt
04-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I basically learned to fly online. The first week of flying nightly with a coop squadron they kept having to restart the mission because I couldn't take off consistantly. I couldn't land for a month and never got any kills. It was not very fun but I love WW2 aviation and kept flying.

The first time on HL I was blown out of the sky every time and I was seriously considering quitting the online game. I stuck with it for some reason and now I fly nightly. I even get some good kills now and then (full switch only). HL is the coolest community online anywhere.

K_Freddie
04-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by crucislancer:
Thatís a cool idea. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
What server?

It's very quiet here... 196.4.79.55:21000
for sometime now, so I don't think the old 'rules' apply anymore.

You can set any rule.. Nav light on, Wing smoke.. etc.

killersquad1960
04-06-2009, 05:02 AM
I generally don't like online play
because some jerks try to shoot at you when your on the runway, and they dont get banned
its a waste of time, i play offline is more fun

kingtiger2008
04-06-2009, 05:42 AM
My first IL-2 online experience(my first combat flight sim online experience as well) was with the La-7 one year ago. After took off, i was attacked by a FW-190 from much higher altitude. I thinked: this guy must be a noob for not flying the La http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif . Then i tried to follow him but as you all know, my La-7 stalled and i was shot down soon afterward. And i didn't understand anything:"what the hell? Isn't the La-7 superior to the FW-190, then why i can't out climb him? why? why? ..." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

That time air combat is nothing other than turn, turn, turn with me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

ImMoreBetter
04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't remember.

But I am fairly confident it had something to do with a crash on take off.

crucislancer
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ImMoreBetter:
I don't remember.

But I am fairly confident it had something to do with a crash on take off.

Not being used to the online way of things, I recall having a hell of a time getting lined up for take off the first time I was online. Ground looped more then once, tipped over onto my prop, all that jazz. Occasionally, just for S&G, I'll relive those old days and prang before I even take to the air. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

kingtiger2008
04-07-2009, 03:42 AM
Yeah me too, forgot that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif.

And almost all of my very first kills was head-on http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif .