PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted: Visibility, FOV & Aerial Gunnery

Jagdklinger
12-28-2004, 08:00 PM
....For those of us not wealthy enough for TrackIR or similar who want to be empowered....

I have been giving a bit of thought to my gunsights lately. I.e. the standard gunsight FOV 30 is so focussed that unless your target is a rookie AI bomber obliging enough to fly straight and level, you are going to have trouble keeping track of your enemy as it bobbs in and out of view. I have two buttons free on my joystick which I devote to my gunsights/other FOV, and I have been experimenting with different settings - currently my two vision modes are wide (90FOV) for general searching and 55-50FOV (when I am pursuing a specific target).

I have a series of questions, to optimise gunnery and visibility for those who strggle without $$$$y fancy aids.

A. What FOV setting offers the optimum balance between shooting accuracy and ability to track your target? Perhaps something a little more focussed than Normal (60?)

B. If you could choose only two FOV settings, what would they be?

C. Do you stick with a single FOV setting when in combat, or do you constantly toggle between various modes when in a dogfight?

D. Using your hat, what setting do you use for visbility? Currently I use:
0 Up
180 Down
90+/- Left/Right
135+/- Back Left/Right
45+/- Back Left/Right Up
which seems to be working for me so far in trying to cover that pesky 'six' area - but I'd love to hear your suggestions

Von_Zero
12-28-2004, 08:26 PM
A. i think the middle one is the best, (at least that i am used to), maybe a slightly wider one so it would be easier to watch the instruments in the 109, would be prefferable.
B. the wide view (pgdown?) and the gusight one (delete)
C. i have mapped a button for "toogle view" on my joystick, and comining the three different view with the toogle gunsight i can easily "customize" my view for the situation i'm in.
D. i use the defaults

Tully__
12-28-2004, 08:54 PM
A. Will vary dramatically from person to person. Make up your own mind what's best for you.

B. Wide & Gunsight.

C. Constantly toggle.

D. Saitek X-45/52 (and some other sticks) allow hats to be assigned to emulate mouse panning. I use that mode. Before that was available, I used a button for look up and the hat for all the horizontal views. Press the "Look Up" button at the same time as the hat gives the 45 degree up views. If you have a button spare for look down, you can get the 45 degree down views as well.

Since there is no look back view in this game series, when I was using snap views I had the 180 hat position assigned to look front/down for a quick look at the instruments.

LStarosta
12-29-2004, 10:17 AM
You can set your FOV to incrementally increase and decrease. I found this useful for a while but I don't use it as much anymore. See if it works for you, maybe.

dieg777
12-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Like most here I have a button to toggle between the three standard sights I also use a utility which mimicks track IR on your hat called NEWVIEW from here http://www.sh.zp.ua/il2/il2.html

Bearcat99
12-29-2004, 06:42 PM
I highly recommend a X45/X52. It is not too expensive...and the programmability factor will greaty enhance your simming experience.

horseback
12-29-2004, 11:27 PM
I would definitely assign a joystick button for Toggle FOV. Also, for full coverage of the sky around you, assigning a button you can access at the same time as your POV hat to Look Up gives you the 45 degree up angle so useful in a dogfight.

In other words, pushing the Look Up key at the same time you tilt your POV hat to the 135 deg. position gives you a peek up over your 'right shoulder', or while your POV is pushed to 315 deg. gives you a view up and to your left front.

Until I got a full 30 button HOTAS rig, I used the keyboard SpaceBar for Look Up so I didn't need to grope for it while I was looking for that bogey...

cheers

horseback